Delphi programming for WinCE?

Hi

Recently obtained a PDA which was supposed to be the target of a delphi app
i've been working on. WinCE doesn't like the .exe saying it isn't runnable.

Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE? - I'm sure I asked this a few years
back and was told yes but now i'm not so sure!

Cheers

Jamie
0
Jamie

Jamie Dale wrote:

> Hi
>
> Recently obtained a PDA which was supposed to be the target of a
> delphi app i've been working on. WinCE doesn't like the .exe saying
> it isn't runnable.
>
> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE?

Delphi produces applications for Win32 on x86 (or compatible)
processors. The WinCE is a subset of the Win32 API, i.e. it does not
support all fucntions in Win32, and the processor of your PDA is
probably not an x86 or compatible. So it is very very unlikely your app
can run on your PDA.

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
 that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful
 termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth
0
Rudy
5/15/2009 9:55:47 PM
Any ideas about freepascal?

JD

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <newsgroups@rvelthuis.de> wrote in message
> Jamie Dale wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Recently obtained a PDA which was supposed to be the target of a
>> delphi app i've been working on. WinCE doesn't like the .exe saying
>> it isn't runnable.
>>
>> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE?
>
> Delphi produces applications for Win32 on x86 (or compatible)
> processors. The WinCE is a subset of the Win32 API, i.e. it does not
> support all fucntions in Win32, and the processor of your PDA is
> probably not an x86 or compatible. So it is very very unlikely your app
> can run on your PDA.
>
> --
> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)        http://www.teamb.com
>
> "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
> that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful
> termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth
0
Jamie
5/15/2009 10:35:24 PM
Jamie Dale wrote:

> Any ideas about freepascal?

I don't know a lot about FreePascal. It is possible they support WinCE.
You should ask them.

"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out
 of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
 -- David Letterman.
0
Rudy
5/15/2009 10:44:01 PM
On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:47:28 -0700, Jamie Dale wrote:

> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE? - I'm sure I asked this a few years
> back and was told yes but now i'm not so sure!

You would need a version of Delphi that supported .NET (i.e. 8 through
20070 and a fair bit of hacking. There are some article on CodeCentral
by David Clegg about it.

You might also be able to do it in Delphi Prism but I'm not sure.

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com
Jamie Dale wrote:

>Any ideas about freepascal?

Yes it does, you need an IDE like lazarus which isn't as stable or good
as delphi (although some people here might disagree about that ;)).
There are more ide's out there but lazarus is the only one i tested so
far.

Take a look at http://www.freepascal.org/ and
http://lazarus.freepascal.org/
0
Marius
5/16/2009 9:40:52 AM
FreePascal supports WinCE and ARM processors.

I've tested it a few months ago, but the implementation is not complete and
the absense of secure communication libraries (https) made me quit the
project...

Paul

"Jamie Dale" <jamie.dale@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Any ideas about freepascal?
>
> JD
>
> "Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <newsgroups@rvelthuis.de> wrote in message
>> Jamie Dale wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Recently obtained a PDA which was supposed to be the target of a
>>> delphi app i've been working on. WinCE doesn't like the .exe saying
>>> it isn't runnable.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE?
>>
>> Delphi produces applications for Win32 on x86 (or compatible)
>> processors. The WinCE is a subset of the Win32 API, i.e. it does not
>> support all fucntions in Win32, and the processor of your PDA is
>> probably not an x86 or compatible. So it is very very unlikely your app
>> can run on your PDA.
>>
>> --
>> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)        http://www.teamb.com
>>
>> "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
>> that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful
>> termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth
0
Paul
5/16/2009 9:46:12 AM
NO not as native, YES by converting your app to .NET compact framework...
have a look here: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/33507

"Jamie Dale" <jamie.dale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Recently obtained a PDA which was supposed to be the target of a delphi
> app i've been working on. WinCE doesn't like the .exe saying it isn't
> runnable.
>
> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE? - I'm sure I asked this a few
> years back and was told yes but now i'm not so sure!
>
> Cheers
>
> Jamie
0
Dominic
5/17/2009 9:22:38 AM
Hmm the PDA I have is using WindowsCE version 3 running a MIPS processor.

Would Lazarus/freepascal compile apps which will run on this device? (It's a
Casio EG-800).

I'm not totally fussed about secure comms although it would be handy to be
able to use sockets - EG Indy if possible.

JD

"Paul Blommaerts" <Peebee@NW.com> wrote in message
> FreePascal supports WinCE and ARM processors.
>
> I've tested it a few months ago, but the implementation is not complete
> and the absense of secure communication libraries (https) made me quit the
> project...
>
> Paul
>

> "Jamie Dale" <jamie.dale@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
>> Any ideas about freepascal?
>>
>> JD
>>
>> "Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <newsgroups@rvelthuis.de> wrote in message

>>> Delphi produces applications for Win32 on x86 (or compatible)
>>> processors. The WinCE is a subset of the Win32 API, i.e. it does not
>>> support all fucntions in Win32, and the processor of your PDA is
>>> probably not an x86 or compatible. So it is very very unlikely your app
>>> can run on your PDA.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)        http://www.teamb.com
>>>
>>> "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
>>> that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful
>>> termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth
0
Jamie
5/17/2009 11:15:09 AM
"Marius ." <please@nospamhere.com> wrote in message
> Jamie Dale wrote:
>
>>Any ideas about freepascal?
>
> Yes it does, you need an IDE like lazarus which isn't as stable or good
> as delphi (although some people here might disagree about that ;)).
> There are more ide's out there but lazarus is the only one i tested so
> far.
>
> Take a look at http://www.freepascal.org/ and
> http://lazarus.freepascal.org/

I did look at that but I couldn't find any answers saying what OS's and
processors are supported. My target device is a Casio EG-800 running
WindowsCE 3 on a MIPS processor. It's starting to look more and more like I
need to switch to C++  for this project and start it again from scratch :(
0
Jamie
5/17/2009 11:16:17 AM
"Dominic Mahon" <newsgroups@domisoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> NO not as native, YES by converting your app to .NET compact framework...
> have a look here: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/33507

Hmm I'm still not really familiar with the .NET framework and after a real
bad trial of D2005 years ago I'm not really looking forward to trying it
again :/

I'm also not completely convinced it will work for WindowsCE v3 either. I've
downloaded some apps from sites and put them on it and it continues to bug
me with the same error that they're not WindowsCE applications so knowing my
luck and Delphi I'll waste several days trying for nothing!
0
Jamie
5/17/2009 11:41:48 AM
"Marc Rohloff" <marc@nospam.marcrohloff.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:47:28 -0700, Jamie Dale wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to run delphi apps on CE? - I'm sure I asked this a few
>> years
>> back and was told yes but now i'm not so sure!
>
> You would need a version of Delphi that supported .NET (i.e. 8 through
> 20070 and a fair bit of hacking. There are some article on CodeCentral
> by David Clegg about it.

Does WindowsCE v3 use .NET then? Not so sure my skills are upto the hacking
bit...

> You might also be able to do it in Delphi Prism but I'm not sure.

Whats Prism?
0
Jamie
5/17/2009 11:42:39 AM
>I did look at that but I couldn't find any answers saying what OS's
>and processors are supported. My target device is a Casio EG-800
>running WindowsCE 3 on a MIPS processor. It's starting to look more
>and more like I need to switch to C++  for this project and start it
>again from scratch :(

Its on the first page, first paragraph of  http://www.freepascal.org.
But i'm not sure either if it supports Mips. Please forward your
question to the forums of freepascal.
0
Marius
5/17/2009 12:28:46 PM
> >I did look at that but I couldn't find any answers saying what OS's
>>and processors are supported. My target device is a Casio EG-800
>>running WindowsCE 3 on a MIPS processor. It's starting to look more
>>and more like I need to switch to C++  for this project and start it
>>again from scratch :(
>
> Its on the first page, first paragraph of  http://www.freepascal.org.
> But i'm not sure either if it supports Mips. Please forward your
> question to the forums of freepascal.

Done that, I noticed the description on that page previously but never saw
any mention of MIPS on there hence my hesitation. Anyway the question has
been put forward now so fingers crossed.... ;)
0
Jamie
5/17/2009 1:12:56 PM
Jamie Dale wrote:

> Whats Prism?

The current Delphi for .NET product.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
On Sun, 17 May 2009 04:41:48 -0700, Jamie Dale wrote:

> I'm also not completely convinced it will work for WindowsCE v3 either. I've
> downloaded some apps from sites and put them on it and it continues to bug
> me with the same error that they're not WindowsCE applications so knowing my
> luck and Delphi I'll waste several days trying for nothing!

I don't know if CE 3 is supported either but did you try and install
the .NET framework/runtimes on your Windows CE device?

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

HELP! Trying to Complie old Delphi program on any version of Delphi
Hey everyone I'm new to the programming world and unfortunately I have come across a big problem that I will hope I can get some help with. I have a program that was apparently created using delphi 3 and then finished using delphi 4 with some additional parts added later. I have found copies of amost every version of delphi ever made and installed them on my pc and attempted to compile this program in question. Unfortuantely I have yet to get it to compile without a few thousand error messages and I am st uck between a rock and a hard place. I know very little of Delphi programming, let a...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Web resources about - Delphi programming for WinCE? - embarcadero.delphi.general

Computer programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding ) is the process of designing , writing, testing , debugging , and maintaining ...

Craig Federighi promotes Hour of Code workshops, saying programming is “the next level of literacy”
... of Code workshops for kids aged 6 and up, SVP of software engineering Craig Federighi has told the BBC that introducing young children to programming ...

ABC’s Lincoln Square Productions to Double Programming Output
Lincoln Square Productions, the in-house production company at ABC News, plans to double the hours of original productions and syndicated programming ...

Apple Open Sources The Swift Programming Language
Back in June at WWDC 2015 Apple surprised a number of people by announcing that they would be making their Swift programming language open source ...

Apple takes the Swift programming language open source
First promised back at WWDC in June , Apple has just taken its Swift programming language open source with the introduction of a new site – swift.org ...

Apple becomes open source champion with Swift programming language
... solutions, surprising many in those communities. Now, it is Apple's turn. Today, the company run by Tim Cook announces that its Swift programming ...

HBO vs Netflix: Who has the best original TV programming?
Not too long ago, TV fans only had to worry about keeping up with a few select shows at a time. Whether you were interested in staying up to ...

Google hopes to remake programming with Go
A Unix co-creator is among those behind a language Google hopes will speed computers and programming. Today, Go becomes open-source software. ...

Apple’s Swift programming language goes open source
Swift, the fast growing computer programming language created by Apple, is officially going open source starting today. Apple unveiled Swift ...

ABC News’ Lincoln Square Productions Names Head Of Scripted Programming
ABC News ’s Lincoln Square Prods. has made another step toward establishing itself as a scripted series player with the appointment of Linda ...