Delphi XE6 & Firemonkey unusable on my laptop

Hi all,

I just bought XE6, solely with FireMonkey and tablet development in mind.  However, it's practically unusable on my laptop & I wondered if anyone had encountered (& fixed) the solution.

It affects compiled apps _and_ the XE6 IDE & design surface too.  It's rather hard to explain, but it seems to be a screen refresh issue.   I put together some screen cap gifs to show the problem & also some screen grabs to show machine config:

http://imgur.com/a/qhVBG

I have not had this problem in any other app, and indeed VCL development is fine (although not what I need).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stuart
Delphi XE6 Hotfix 1, Win 8.1, Dell XPS-15z
0
Stuart

I used to have identical problems at runtime on my laptop when I was
using the GDI+ canvas - caused by some issue with the graphics card that
was never identified. I just use the D2D canvas now. Didn't see it in
the IDE though - only at runtime.

This blog post describes a situation where FMX reverts to GDI+ -
http://parnassus.co/?p=207

Might be related to your problem.

Cheers, Bob

On 02/06/2014 18:04, Stuart Clennett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought XE6, solely with FireMonkey and tablet development in mind.  However, it's practically unusable on my laptop & I wondered if anyone had encountered (& fixed) the solution.
>
> It affects compiled apps _and_ the XE6 IDE & design surface too.  It's rather hard to explain, but it seems to be a screen refresh issue.   I put together some screen cap gifs to show the problem & also some screen grabs to show machine config:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/qhVBG
>
> I have not had this problem in any other app, and indeed VCL development is fine (although not what I need).
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>

> Stuart
> Delphi XE6 Hotfix 1, Win 8.1, Dell XPS-15z

0
Bob
6/2/2014 5:20:38 PM
Thanks Bob. I took a look at that, and whilst interesting, I tried the unit in question, but I get the same results.    And as you point out, strange stuff happens in my IDE too not just compiled apps.

It does make me wonder if it's a graphics card/driver problem.  I have an NVidia GeForce GT 540M if that helps anyone.

Cheers

Stuart

> {quote:title=Bob Devine wrote:}{quote}
> I used to have identical problems at runtime on my laptop when I was
> using the GDI+ canvas - caused by some issue with the graphics card that
> was never identified. I just use the D2D canvas now. Didn't see it in
> the IDE though - only at runtime.
>
> This blog post describes a situation where FMX reverts to GDI+ -
> http://parnassus.co/?p=207
>
> Might be related to your problem.
>
> Cheers, Bob

Edited by: Stuart Clennett on Jun 2, 2014 12:05 PM
0
Stuart
6/2/2014 7:06:04 PM
I've got the GT 330M - I updated to the latest drivers but that didn't
help. At runtime I had to use Invalidate in the form OnActivate - at
least that way I got rid of them when the main form came to the
foreground (in my case they appeared when another window was moved over
the main form).

Cheers, Bob

On 02/06/2014 20:06, Stuart Clennett wrote:
> Thanks Bob. I took a look at that, and whilst interesting, I tried the unit in question, but I get the same results.    And as you point out, strange stuff happens in my IDE too not just compiled apps.
>
> It does make me wonder if it's a graphics card/driver problem.  I have an NVidia GeForce GT 540M if that helps anyone.
>
> Cheers
>
> Stuart
>
>> {quote:title=Bob Devine wrote:}{quote}
>> I used to have identical problems at runtime on my laptop when I was
>> using the GDI+ canvas - caused by some issue with the graphics card that
>> was never identified. I just use the D2D canvas now. Didn't see it in
>> the IDE though - only at runtime.
>>
>> This blog post describes a situation where FMX reverts to GDI+ -
>> http://parnassus.co/?p=207
>>
>> Might be related to your problem.
>>
>> Cheers, Bob
>
> Edited by: Stuart Clennett on Jun 2, 2014 12:05 PM

0
Bob
6/2/2014 7:32:48 PM
The problem (for hybrid video card nvidia+intel) exists from fmx first release in xe2, firemonkey developers for 5 (FIVE)!!!! releases won't see it at ALL.

For IDE: in Nvidia panel set in 3D tab => Global Settings =>Preferred graphics processor => auto-select (or integrated graphics)

For runtime case there are no solution, but you can:
a) Tell your app's users with hybrid video, do the same  - use integrated video card.
b) Don't use Direct2d mode, and switch app in old GDI+ mode by adding in main project file ( *.dpr)
  1) uses FMX.Types // => in uses section
  2) FMX.Types.GlobalUseDirect2D := False; // right after begin statement

c) Use Firemonkey 3D application type instead of HD app
0
Sergionn
6/2/2014 8:12:53 PM
Dear Sergionn,

Thank you very much, I changed the "NVidia > 3D > Global Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor = Integrated Graphics" and it solved all problems.  I will take note of your other points.

Now on to start learning FMX :)

Thanks again

Stuart

> {quote:title=Sergionn Rad wrote:}{quote}
> The problem (for hybrid video card nvidia+intel) exists from fmx first release in xe2, firemonkey developers for 5 (FIVE)!!!! releases won't see it at ALL.
>
> For IDE: in Nvidia panel set in 3D tab => Global Settings =>Preferred graphics processor => auto-select (or integrated graphics)
>
> For runtime case there are no solution, but you can:
> a) Tell your app's users with hybrid video, do the same  - use integrated video card.
> b) Don't use Direct2d mode, and switch app in old GDI+ mode by adding in main project file ( *.dpr)
>   1) uses FMX.Types // => in uses section
>   2) FMX.Types.GlobalUseDirect2D := False; // right after begin statement
>
> c) Use Firemonkey 3D application type instead of HD app
0
Stuart
6/2/2014 8:42:58 PM
Today I had to get more memory to my laptop... I was using 6gb and had to
move to 8gb (max of this laptop) because XE5 was giving all kind of problems
compiling to Android.

For Win32 just fine, but for android it took forever and stopped with
strange messages. It uses around 3gb of memory for compilation of my
project, if I give less it just do no work...

I am experiencing this flash things on my monitor, but it does not break
anything yet...

"Stuart Clennett" escreveu na notícia da
mensagem:678212@forums.embarcadero.com...

Hi all,

I just bought XE6, solely with FireMonkey and tablet development in mind.
However, it's practically unusable on my laptop & I wondered if anyone had
encountered (& fixed) the solution.

It affects compiled apps _and_ the XE6 IDE & design surface too.  It's
rather hard to explain, but it seems to be a screen refresh issue.   I put
together some screen cap gifs to show the problem & also some screen grabs
to show machine config:

http://imgur.com/a/qhVBG

I have not had this problem in any other app, and indeed VCL development is
fine (although not what I need).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stuart
Delphi XE6 Hotfix 1, Win 8.1, Dell XPS-15z
0
Eduardo
6/2/2014 10:25:47 PM
I and others here have had problems with NVIDIA GeForce. I only had a problem with 3D Firemonkey. The Intel didn't work right either.

I thought maybe a graphics card with different chipset might be different. So I bought a cheap AMD Radeon card. Now everything is perfect.

I don't know what can be done about this. Video game players have the same problem. The game works on some graphic cards and not others.
0
Douglas

is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks.
is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. > {quote:title=Aldo Lacavalla wrote:}{quote} > is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. Have a look in your Android output directory -- Linden "Mango" was Cool but "Wasabi" was Hotter but remember it's all in the "source" > {quote:title=Linden ROTH wrote:}{quote} > > {quote:title=Aldo Lacavalla wrote:}{quote} > > is possible to build an Android .SO with Delphi Firemonkey XE6 ? Thanks. > > > Have a look in ...

Delphi XE2 & FireMonkey 2011 results and 2012 plans
Delphi XE2 & FireMonkey 2011 results and 2012 plans http://blogs.embarcadero.com/vsevolodleonov/2011/12/31/new2012/ (rus) http://bit.ly/yiwsLr (en) -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ "Ciprian Popa" <no-spam@no-spam.com> wrote in message > > http://blogs.embarcadero.com/vsevolodleonov/2011/12/31/new2012/ (rus) > http://bit.ly/yiwsLr (en) > I wouldn't quite call that english. :) >> I wouldn't quite call that english. :) >Have such a plan would be about a book like Bob Svorta, but in the...

Firemonkey app from Delphi XE2 -> Dropbox & iCloud [Edit]
Im developing an app for iOS and MacOS Is there any component or a way to connect to Dropbox and iCloud using Delphi XE2? > {quote:title=laureano bonilla wrote:}{quote} > Im developing an app for iOS and MacOS > > Is there any component or a way to connect to Dropbox and iCloud using Delphi XE2 For iCloud, you will need support for both iOS 5.0 and 10.7 Lion. I don't believe XE2 even supports the classes added with iOS 4.x, much less 5.0, although you can parse the iOS 5.0 UIKit and Foundation headers yourself: http://web.me.com/macpgmr/ObjP/Xcode4/iOS_5_Parsing_...

Delphi XE 7 UPDATE 1 FireMonkey, Drag & Drop Files... how?
I have an app and want to add drag and drop files support, i try this code for example: {code} procedure TForm1.Grid1DragDrop(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF); begin caption := data.Files[0]; end; procedure TForm1.Grid1DragOver(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF; var Operation: TDragOperation); begin operation := TDragOperation.Link; end; {code} and work correctly in a new proyect, but if i implement this in an exisiting proyect this no work :( what happen? how make this work? thanks and sorry for my en...

Delphi XE 7 UPDATE 1 FireMonkey, Drag & Drop Files... how?
I have an app and want to add drag and drop files support, i try this code for example: {code} procedure TForm1.Grid1DragDrop(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF); begin caption := data.Files[0]; end; procedure TForm1.Grid1DragOver(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF; var Operation: TDragOperation); begin operation := TDragOperation.Link; end; {code} and work correctly in a new proyect, but if i implement this in an exisiting proyect this no work :( what happen? how make this work? thanks and sorry for my en...

ANN: FireDataGrid 1.0 beta 3 for Delphi XE6 (Firemonkey) has been released! [Edit]
Dear colleagues, we are pleased to announce that version FireDataGrid 1.0 beta 3 for Delphi XE6 (Firemonkey) has been released. Version is quite stable and can be considered as a release candidate. This demo version adds two examples. MultiSelectDemo - demonstrates the ability to work in several selection modes (single row, multiple rows, single cell many cells, selection with rubber band and etc.). CustomEditorDemo - demonstrates the ability to embed custom cell editor to the grid view. In the example are being reviewed two options of the editors, based on embedded TControl and direct int...

Making Firemonkey more compatible with Delphi
I have programmed in Delphi since 1995 Delphi1 I am now evaluating Delphi XE4. It boggles my mind, why embarcadero has lost the most important aspects of Delphi. Simplicity and Fast User Interface creation. I can easily see how Firemonkey can be improved to bring it in line with traditional Delphi Techniques by doing the following. 1. All Firemonkey controls need a data aware counterpart. 2. Firemonkey Styles need to be converted to TControl descendants. 3. ie. TLayout goes to TPanel ( TFMXPanel ) 4. ie. TRectangle does to TFrame TFMXFrame ) 5. LiveBindings gets placed un...

Delphi XE2, OSX and FireMonkey?
1. Does anyone know if developing with FireMonkey will be the only way to develop for OSX with XE2? 2. Does anyone know if you will need to compile on a Mac for OSX, or will XE2 cross compile? I know this will all come out during the world tour, but I'm just trying to get some idea so I can start planning. 1. Yes, I think for now it will be the only way. But you can probably build a native UI for OSX by directly using the API, like you can also develop Win32 applications without using the VCL. 2. XE2 will only be available for Windows, but it will compile for other platforms. &l...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

How to access Delphi 7 & 2009 after purchasing Delphi XE
I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Please respond. Regards, SB, L&T Hi sushweta biswas, > I have purchased and installed Delphi XE and now I'm unable to find information on how to download previous versions of Delphi, namely Delphi 7 and 2009. Your reseller should have told you: after registering Delphi XE, you can go to http://www.embarcadero.com/xe-earlier-versions to enter your serial number of Delphi XE as well as your EDN account informati...

dynamical DLL loading in delphi 7 & delphi 2010
Hello, i am loading a DLL dynamical in Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010: [delphi] var hDLL: THandle; pCode: Pointer; type TProcMainEntry = function: TForm; begin hDll := 0; if FileExists(Pfad + vpeDllName) then hDLL := LoadLibrary(PChar(Pfad + vpeDllName)) else SetLastError(2); if hDLL = 0 then RaiseLastOSError; pCode := GetProcAddress(hDLL, PChar(vpeFunction)); if pCode = nil then RaiseLastOSError; Result := TProcMainEntry(pcode)(); [/delphi] in delphi 7 there's a variable filled with data of the main application which used in the...

Pop-up on Mobile apps (FireMonkey / Delphi )
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a FireMonkey mobile app with Delphi (XE6) and since i'm really new to this i'm in need of a little bit of help. For my App i'd like to build in a subscription screen that would work like a pop-up, showing modal on the same form than the login. I've been looking around a bit on the internet but couldn't find any usefull advice. I found a video ("FireMonkey: Showing Modal form with animation and Shadow effect" from Yaroslav Brovin) thad proved me that it was possible, but was unable to find how. I'm sure it'...

Web resources about - Delphi XE6 & Firemonkey unusable on my laptop - embarcadero.delphi.firemonkey

firemonkeys - iMore