Unicode database field/record/key size limits?

I converted old FB database to from Charset=NONE to UNICODE_FSS. Then
got errors when using a table containing large VarChar(16384) field.
Changed it to VarChar(8192) and it worked.

What are new Field/Record/Key size limits when working in Unicode with
D2009 (& IB/FB)?

AntonE
0
Anton

"Anton Ekermans" <antone@true.co.za> wrote in message
>I converted old FB database to from Charset=NONE to UNICODE_FSS. Then
> got errors when using a table containing large VarChar(16384) field.
> Changed it to VarChar(8192) and it worked.
>
> What are new Field/Record/Key size limits when working in Unicode with
> D2009 (& IB/FB)?

Exactly as you see - each character takes 2 bytes so the effective length of
your fields is halved. This also affects indexes.

In this particular case, why are you using such a large varchar field? For
such large chunks of data you really should be using blobs. Keeping large
varchar fields can seriously affect performance due to large record sizes.

--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Tips to Get Published: http://dn.codegear.com/article/38467
> In this particular case, why are you using such a large varchar field? For
> such large chunks of data you really should be using blobs. Keeping large
> varchar fields can seriously affect performance due to large record sizes.

It was a quick and easy way to have a large comments field
that is easily searched with LIKE %abc% to find arbitrary text.

AntonE
0
Anton
5/29/2009 1:04:30 PM
Anton Ekermans wrote:
> I converted old FB database to from Charset=NONE to UNICODE_FSS. Then
> got errors when using a table containing large VarChar(16384) field.
> Changed it to VarChar(8192) and it worked.
>
> What are new Field/Record/Key size limits when working in Unicode with
> D2009 (& IB/FB)?

UNICODE_FSS is deprecated. Use UTF8 instead with UNICODE collation.
Unfortunately, each char takes 4 bytes. But it results in faster access
times. The classic trade-off of speed vs. storage.

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
5/29/2009 6:00:48 PM
> UNICODE_FSS is deprecated. Use UTF8 instead with UNICODE collation.
> Unfortunately, each char takes 4 bytes. But it results in faster access
> times. The classic trade-off of speed vs. storage.

Thank you for your response.

Will that mean that I'll have a max char size of varchar(4096) in IB/FB
and a maximum primary key of 64 characters? That will never do...

Is there a 8 or 16-bit 'fast' alternative?
0
Anton
5/29/2009 6:18:07 PM
Anton Ekermans wrote:
>> In this particular case, why are you using such a large varchar field? For
>> such large chunks of data you really should be using blobs. Keeping large
>> varchar fields can seriously affect performance due to large record sizes.
>
> It was a quick and easy way to have a large comments field
> that is easily searched with LIKE %abc% to find arbitrary text.
>
> AntonE

You should be able to use CONTAINING 'abc' with text blobs.

--
Aage J.
0
> You should be able to use CONTAINING 'abc' with text blobs.

Case insensitive also?
0
Anton
5/29/2009 11:04:56 PM
>> You should be able to use CONTAINING 'abc' with text blobs.
>
> Case insensitive also?

Yes.

--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Tips to Get Published: http://dn.codegear.com/article/38467
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
0
Wayne

i have a error message when i log in with username?? error message is that CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4
hello friends i have a error message when i log in with username. error message is below.. i use VS 2008 professional edition 90 days trial version. i used SQL 2005 expression version but i uninstalled it and i install SQL 2005 Enterprise version..but i see Express Edition with Advanced Services when i look at version information.. What should i do fix my error ? Cheers CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database.An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Users\Jet\Deskto...

raw (binary) type - database
Hi!I am using the Membership, Roles and other providers of Oracle for Asp.Net.The Roles table has a primary key "RoleID" of raw(16) data type, other field names of this table are "RoleName" and "Description" that are of string type.Through Data Access Layer (dataset) and Business Logic Layer, I want to display the fields and values of Roles table. By displaying it, Editing of each row will be enabled.I cannot edit a row because I cannot seem to pass the value of RoleID because it's value passed is null.When the values are displayed in the gridview, all the v...

Sharepoint Max size limits (database size)
Hi, The call to create a sharepoint site takes a uint, which limits the max sharepoint size to about 3300MB (so nothing larger then 3.3gig). This is a major problem for us, and i was wondering if anyone knows of a workaround.  Eric...

About translate the data from big size database to small size database! thanks.
Hi: My server is Sybase 11.5 for NT4(called 'a machine'),because something reasons,i create a new database on other machine(called 'b machine'), and made the size different with 'a machine'.then load the .DMP file from 'a machine' into 'b machine'. now , i want to decrease 'b machine' database(device) size. how can i do? or how do migrate the data tables into a different size, some tables use identity data type! Another question is : How can i make a dual server, except mirror. thanks ...

Please..help me..How i bind the forms's fields (textboxes) to a database. And when i click submit button add a new record to my Database ...
In my mainpage a application form for users to apply.How i bind the forms's fields (textboxes) to a database. And when i click submit button add a new record to my Database ...How it do in Visual Web Developer.. please... vijaysoft:In my mainpage a application form for users to apply.How i bind the forms's fields (textboxes) to a database. And when i click submit button add a new record to my Database ...How it do in Visual Web Developer.. please... Hi vijaysoft,Based on my understanding, your want to bind a textbox control to a field of the table in database, and the value of th...

UNICODE fields in DATABASE
I am using ASE 11.9.x on a SUN SOLARIS system. The database schema has many tables with fields containing various SQL datatypes. A new requirement has been placed on it so that we can store UTF-8 (UNICODE) strings in the database. We want to be able to search on the fields that contain these UNICODE strings. Not being a database person, I am looking for some direction as to what datatype I should use to hold this type of data (Is IMAGE the one to be used or some other?). The UTF-8 strings will be limited to 4K characters. I looked at using NVARCHAR but it is limited to 256 ...

Database Size Limit
Hi, Am looking at the difference in DBase size limits between ASA 6.0.4 and ASA 8.0. I know that this depends on the platform configuration,i.e. RAM, Hard Disk Space and so on, but just looking at a ballpark figure. Want to know until what point can the dbase of 6.0 and 8.0 grow comfortably before it starts impacting the replication? Thanks, Glenn. I assume that by "DBase", you mean database? If that's what you mean, please say so (or say 'db'). dBase is a trademark of dBase, Inc. In article <10FB2857477F4F590080757885256CB7.0080758885256CB7@w...

Database size limits
The manual states the file size limit for Sybase 6.03 is 2Gb What is the impact on exceeding this database size ? Would there be any noticeable issues ? What are the options available to address this ? Thanks in Advance Tim Buric Hi, the correct limitations: File size (FAT 12) 16 MB File size (FAT 16) 2 GB File size (FAT 32) 4 GB File size (NTFS, HP-UX 11.0 and later, Solaris 2.6 and later) 256 GB (for 1K pages) 512 GB (for 2K pages) 1 TB (for 4K pages) So with Unix and NT you sould anyway not reach this file system limit. Che...

copy database one database to onther database
hii want to copy one database table to onther database table using script?my database is ms-sql server 2000 Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com You can use import/export task and DTS package created automatically by Enterprise manager or just try  select * INTO [newdatabase].dbo.[newTable] from [sourceDatabase].dbo.[sourcetable]  good luckThanksJPazgier no dear i want to this programatticallyiusing c #,source is my database in local machine and target is other computer means server Nothing is really...

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

Database Table Primary Key question for Database experts
Hi, I have a Users table that I use for membership. Now I am using username varchar(30) as the primary key for this table since username will always be unique.I am storing username in UsersInRole table so that I can find what roles each user has.The question I have is regarding how SQL Server actually stores data:I see that when I add users, they are always stored alphabetically sorted on username. I was expecting that all users will appear on the users table in the order they were added.Example: I have 3 users (john, jonah, wilson). Now I added 4 user with username='bob'If I ex...

Database profile and databases
Hi all I have installed Syabse on linux and PB 6.5 on windows 2000. I am able to connect to the sybase server through dsedit utility and I am also able to connect PB development environment(database profile) to particuler database on sybase server. But when I want to see all the tables while clicking on database menu option an error messagebox displayed "Stored procedure pb60table not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether object exist.(sp_help may produce lot of output" . This error messagebox is displayed. I am not able to make any datawi...

Message Database size limit
What is the maximum size limit of a message database. I thought I saw somewhere that the message database becomes unrecognizable if it's either 0kb or over 2GB. If 2GB is the limit, and one of my message databases is currently larger than that, how do I shrink or reduce the size? Or is this even possible? I have a backup of the msg.db that is slightly smaller than 2GB but it's a few days old and I don't know how to prevent it from growing larger than 2GB. I'm having a ton of groupwise problems accross two separate POs, both of which have at least one message database that ...

database in database solution
  i have a database in the database solution. but i want to add the database from database solution to App_data  folder in solution explorer. how to do this ?Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you.   i am having visual studio express edition and sql management express. i have opened solution explorer for a asp.net project. I have the database solution and i have the App_data in the solution Explorer. I have added a existing sql database in the database solution and wanted the newly added  sql database in the App_data of solution...

Web resources about - Unicode database field/record/key size limits? - embarcadero.delphi.database

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...