Interbase 2009 upgrade failed

I upgraded delphi 2006 to delphi 2010. In doing so, and upgrading Interbase 7.x to Interbase 2009, database access seems to have been corrupted. On starting Delphi 2010, a message states that gds32.dll is not found, even after I tried reinstalling it. I was able to view a preexisting (interbase)  database from Interbase Console. I applied Hotfix 1 and this did not fix the problem. I copied a gds32.dll into system32 (from another computer, perhaps an older version) and I was able to start Delphi 2010. I tr
y to access the database and it says "Unavailable Database."

If Delphi 2010 and Interbase 2009 require gds32.dll, it did not seem to get installed with the upgrade. I can not access any interbase files, although I can read them perfectly with Interbase Console.

Any time I try to access an interbase database from delphi, I get the message "unavailable database"
0
Doulgas

Search your hard drive for copies of gds32.dll. You should
have one and only one, located in system32, and its version
number should be exactly the same as the version number for
ibserver.exe in the InterBase bin directory.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

Doulgas Keene wrote:
> I upgraded delphi 2006 to delphi 2010. In doing so, and upgrading Interbase 7.x to Interbase 2009, database access seems to have been corrupted. On starting Delphi 2010, a message states that gds32.dll is not found, even after I tried reinstalling it. I was able to view a preexisting (interbase)  database from Interbase Console. I applied Hotfix 1 and this did not fix the problem. I copied a gds32.dll into system32 (from another computer, perhaps an older version) and I was able to start Delphi 2010. I
tr
> y to access the database and it says "Unavailable Database."
>
> If Delphi 2010 and Interbase 2009 require gds32.dll, it did not seem to get installed with the upgrade. I can not access any interbase files, although I can read them perfectly with Interbase Console.
>
> Any time I try to access an interbase database from delphi, I get the message "unavailable database"
0
quinn
12/7/2009 5:52:04 PM
I am not sure if it is the correct thing to do, perhaps I should have started a new thread but I have a flow on from this problem.

I installed Windows 7, upgraded to delphi 2070 to 2010 and interbase from 2007 to 2009. I had the same problem but had overcome it on the local computer (by moving gds32.dll to  System32). The problem is I still cannot access Interbase from a client computer on the lan.

The programs have been working for four years up until now. I moved two of the programs to a clients training system (their system configuration unchanged Windows 2003, Interbase 2007) and they give the same error "unavailable database". The version numbers do match.

Would reinstalling Interbase 2007 fix the problem? as I am unable to produce code that will run on my client's systems and are therefore unable to support them if they have a show stopping bug (fortunately we have not had one yet but I may have just tempted fate)

Thank you.

John Hart

> {quote:title=Bill Todd wrote:}{quote}
> Search your hard drive for copies of gds32.dll. You should
> have one and only one, located in system32, and its version
> number should be exactly the same as the version number for
> ibserver.exe in the InterBase bin directory.
>
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
John
12/20/2009 9:07:50 PM
John Hart wrote:

> I am not sure if it is the correct thing to do, perhaps I
> should have started a new thread but I have a flow on
> from this problem.

Yes, you should have started a new thread. Piggybacking on
on existing thread reduces the odds that you will get an
answer.

As Quinn said in his reply to the OP, "unavailable
database" means that the IB server service is not running
on the computer you are trying to connect to. Check the
Windows Services app  on the machine where IB is installed
to make sure both the IB Guardian and the IB Server are
listed and that both have started successfully. Also check
the interbase.log file to see if there are any error
messages.

Reinstalling will almost certainly not help, at least not
until we find out what the problem is.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

Interbase was up and running, both Interbase 2007 Guardian and Server were listed and started OK.

The only errors in their log are

"WNET/wnet_error: ReadFile end-of-file errno = 109" which I gather is {$EXTERNALSYM ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE}

and were occurring before this problem.

Programs compiled on Vista by Delphi 2007/Interbase 2007 ran on the client computers. Only programs compiled on Windows 7 by Delphi 2010/Interbase 2009 will not run on the client computers. Both Delphi 2007/Interbase 2007 and Delphi 2010/Interbase 2009 programs run on the server and from remote connections (tried on both our site and one of our client's sites)

> As Quinn said in his reply to the OP, "unavailable
> database" means that the IB server service is not running
> on the computer you are trying to connect to. Check the
> Windows Services app  on the machine where IB is installed
> to make sure both the IB Guardian and the IB Server are
> listed and that both have started successfully. Also check
> the interbase.log file to see if there are any error
> messages.
>
> Reinstalling will almost certainly not help, at least not
> until we find out what the problem is.
>
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
John
12/21/2009 4:09:06 AM
John Hart wrote:

> Programs compiled on Vista by Delphi 2007/Interbase 2007
> ran on the client computers. Only programs compiled on
> Windows 7 by Delphi 2010/Interbase 2009 will not run on
> the client computers. Both Delphi 2007/Interbase 2007 and
> Delphi 2010/Interbase 2009 programs run on the server and
> from remote connections (tried on both our site and one
> of our client's sites)

If I understand you correctly the problem is that programs
compiled with D2010 on a Win7 system running IB 2009
generate an "unavailable database" error when you try to
connect to an IB2007 server. If that is the case, I have no
idea what the problem might be. I don't have a Win7 PC and
I don't have IB2007 installed. If you don't get an answer
here or if the problem is urgent I suggest you open a
support case.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0

Thank you for your help, I will open a support case.

> If I understand you correctly the problem is that programs
> compiled with D2010 on a Win7 system running IB 2009
> generate an "unavailable database" error when you try to
> connect to an IB2007 server. If that is the case, I have no
> idea what the problem might be. I don't have a Win7 PC and
> I don't have IB2007 installed. If you don't get an answer
> here or if the problem is urgent I suggest you open a
> support case.
>
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
John
12/21/2009 8:55:54 PM
John Hart wrote:

> Almost correct, the programs will run if executed on the
> server but not if executed on a client computer connected
> via LAN.

That sounds like a Firewall or TCP/IP configuration issue
but I do not know what it might be.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
"John Hart" wrote in message news:196333@forums.codegear.com...
> Almost correct, the programs will run if executed on the server but not if
> executed on a client computer connected via LAN.

Make sure the client computers have the correct Interbase client software
installed - i.e. check the version of gds32.dll.

Check the path the application is attempting to use to connect to the
database - is this hardcoded or picked up from a config file?

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
0

Database file growing quickly after upgrade to InterBase 2009
Hi, We recently upgraded our database server from InterBase 6.0 Open source to InterBase SMP 2009. A this time the IB6 database file had a total size of 180MB, and it took six years to get to this point. During the upgrade to InterBase 2009, we backup the IB6 file and then restore it on IB2009 and it worked nicely. After three days of use the database file grow to 240MB and the the server started to hang and freeze. At this point we took the following steps. 1.Run gfix on IB2009 file 2.run gbak to backup the IB2009 file after step 1 3.run gbak to restore file. After step three th...

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Move from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 and now failing
I recently moved from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 (combined with a new computer). The XML that is now created no longer accepted by the webservice. The specific steps I went through were. 1) Delphi 2009 with old pas file. Worked. 2) Delphi XE2 with old pas file. Didn't work. 3) Delphi XE2 with new pas file imported by Delphi XE2. Didn't work. The new pas file has the following lines, but commenting them out doesn't change the XML. { InvRegistry.RegisterParamInfo(TypeInfo(FaCSIADiagnosticInterface), 'Ping', 'Ping_Input', '&...

Restore from Interbase 2009 to Interbase XE fails [Edit]
Hello, I have restored .ib file to Interbase XE from Interbase 2009 .gbk file. Restore was successful but IBConsole does not let me to open it with error message: "Attempt to execute an unprepared dynamic SQL statement" What could cause this? I did not execute any SQL. I just tried to open the database using IBConsole Please help Thanks Edited by: Vladimir Nelenson on Mar 7, 2012 10:25 AM Vladimir Nelenson wrote: > Hello, > I have restored .ib file to Interbase XE from Interbase 2009 .gbk file. > Restore was successful but IBConsole does not let me to open it w...

Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009
For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for simple databases. For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice? What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a freeware component? Should I use DBExpress? Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database? Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and possibly edit a...

Upgrade database fails
I have tried using the Upgrade database utility to upgrade our SQLAny 5.5 database to ASA 6.0.3 but it fails with the message "SQL Error -673 - Database upgrade not possible". According to the helpfile this errorcode means "An attempt to upgrade a database failed. The database is too old to be upgraded." What could be the cause of this? The database runs fine in 6.0.3 but I would like to upgrade it with the new System options and Java support. I think that the upgrade utility is ONLY for upgrading pre-version 5 to version 5. (I could be wrong, but I...

InterBase 2009 database size
Hello, We have a question regarding our database size. The size of the database has not changed for the last 6 months. It used to change before (increase). Information is being added/edited daily in the database. All of the information appears to be correct in the database, but the size of the database doesn't change. The database server is on a RHEL 5.3 server. Is this something we should be concerned about? Is there any explanation why the size does not change anymore? Regards, Theo Perez wrote: > Hello, > > We have a question regarding our database size. &g...

How to upgrade Indy in Delphi 2009
Hi, Delphi 2009 comes with Indy 10.2.5, but because there is a bug with email attachments, I need to upgrade to the latest version of Indy (10.5.7 ?). The installation instructions are on the Indy website : [http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/Docs/Indy10Installation.EN.aspx |http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/Docs/Indy10Installation.EN.aspx ] But they are not clear to me. Does anyone know the exact procedure ? Thanks Herman <PC Support> wrote in message news:265626@forums.embarcadero.com... > The installation instructions are on the Indy website : > [http://...

Delphi 2009 upgrade requirements
To be qualified for a Delphi 2009 upgrade what Delphi version is required? Can you upgrade from a Kylix version? Doei RIF "Richard Foersom" ... > To be qualified for a Delphi 2009 upgrade what Delphi version is > required? Can you upgrade from a Kylix version? > All versions of Delphi and Kylix qualifies for an upgrade. from here: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/38473 "Discounted upgrade pricing is available to owners of any earlier version of Delphi, C++Builder, CodeGear RAD Studio, Borland Developer Studio, Kylix, Turbo Pascal, Borland Pascal...

Upgrading to Delphi 2009... Some Questions
Hello Everyone, I need to upgrade to Delphi 2009 so that I can get access to the AsExtended and AsFMTBCD properties of the TClientDataSet. (I need to be able to deal with some really large numbers). So - I remember seeing some posts about problems going to Delphi 2009 - mainly due to Unicode issues. PChar, etc if memory serves me right. Does anyone have a link on the CodeGear site (or another site) to what issues you have to be aware of? Any thoughts or suggestions regarding what I should look out for? I have a fairly straight forward app - so except for a very few instanc...

Upgrading Delphi 2009 Questions
I'm currently using Delphi 7 and planning to upgrade to D 2009. Will there be any problem(s) like running BDE within my apps? Is BDE included in D2009? Thanks. BDE is included with Delphi 2009. SQL Links is not. So, if you are using Paradox, dBASE, Access or ODBC it should continue to work as before. If you are using the SQL Links driver for MSSQL, Oracle, DB2 or Informix you'll need to get these drivers from your Delphi 7 installation if you wish to continue to use them. Minh Ho wrote: > I'm currently using Delphi 7 and planning to upgrade to D 2009. Will there ...

database upgrade process when upgrading ASA9 database replicating with dbremote
Not sure where I should post this. I have bee doing some testing with SQL Anywhere 10.0.0.2417. I converted my publisher and one of the subscriber databases from ASA 9.0.2.3302. The Publisher and subscriber wer replicating fine when on running ASA 9. I ran the dbunload process on the ASA 9 databases and copied the old database log files into the SQL Anywhere 10 database directories. Now when I attempt to run the Replication process ( dbremote ) I continue to get an error that a log off set is not found "Unable to find log offset 018112048023" I translated...

Registration of Delphi 2009 fails
I have downloaded the ISO "Delphi_C++Builder2009_ISO_June2009" mounted and installed Delphi 2009. During the installation I am asked to enter my serial. After installation I tried to register the product. However, the title of the "Registration-screen" tells me to register "Architect" version (instead of Enterprise which I did enter the key for). Also the serialnumber shown there does not match the one I did enter previously. Therefore the registration, even when re-entering the correct serial, does fail. Any hints? Many thanks in advance Stefan ...

Web resources about - Interbase 2009 upgrade failed - embarcadero.delphi.database

Multiversion concurrency control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For instance, a database will implement updates not by deleting an old piece of data and overwriting it with a new one, but instead by marking ...

Open core is not open source
Julie Bort of Networkworld.com has an interview with Mårten Mickos of Eucalyptus , formerly of MySQL. In MySQL times it seemed (to me at least) ...

Almico's Home Page
... my interests and soon. I use to program using Delphi. Anyway: several projects of mine are developedunder Linux using PHP, PostgreSQL, Interbase ...

Sun balances acquisition, innovation
Sun Microsystems tries to make clear at its two-day annual analyst conference that innovation paysyet much of the company's biggest plans today ...

Free Trials - Embarcadero Technologies

Phillipe Kahn
Phillipe Kahn

license-discuss@opensource.org: Threads for May 2005
... May 2005 [2] unsubscribe me [3] Open Software License [3] unsubscribe me please [7] Re: License Wizard [5] For thoughts: fair license [1] InterBase ...

Welcome to dbase
Cust_Ser_Tech_Support web site

DB-Engines Ranking - popularity ranking of database management systems
English Deutsch Knowledge Base of Relational and NoSQL Database Management Systems provided by solid IT Home - DB-Engines Ranking - Systems - ...

DBF Commander Version History
History of DBF Commander - new DBF tools, DBF editor improvements, and bug fixes