Delphi and Oracle Database

Hello Everyone,

I have a need to be able to read data out of an Oracle database.  I
know how I can access it - but now I need to bring the databases
inhouse for development purposes.
So - I need to install an oracle server - but only for my development
needs - but it needs to be able to handle some large databases - from
5GB to 50GB approximately.

I have been dealing with MSSQL and MySQL for a while - and I have
those servers licenses and running.  However, I am not familiar with
how Oracle does things.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions as to what type of license
I should be looking at from Oracle?   I am trying to control my costs.
I am running on a Windows platform.

Bradley MacDonald
brad_AT_timeacct_DOT_com
0
Bradley

Is the oracle Personal Edition the best way to go??
0
Bradley
9/21/2012 5:05:32 PM
> {quote:title=Bradley MacDonald wrote:}{quote}
> Is the oracle Personal Edition the best way to go??

Can get the free express verion, but only 4gb of data and uses only 1gb of memory..

Full blown oracle i doubt you will want to fork over $$ for testing/development purpose.
0
steven
9/21/2012 6:43:02 PM
> {quote:title=Bradley MacDonald wrote:}{quote}
> Is the oracle Personal Edition the best way to go??

Bradley,
I'm not 100% sure, but as I remember Oracle is free for developers. At least it was when I downloaded 11g last year...
So you can have full blown Oracle server but only for developing purposes.

Marcin
0
Marcin
9/22/2012 8:01:07 AM
IIRC ist the 11gR2-express edition with 10GB data restriction ...

:-) Thomas Pfister

This mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons

>> {quote:title=Bradley MacDonald wrote:}{quote}
>> Is the oracle Personal Edition the best way to go??
> Can get the free express verion, but only 4gb of data and uses only
> 1gb of memory..
>
> Full blown oracle i doubt you will want to fork over $$ for
> testing/development purpose.

0
Thomas

Delphi Array to Oracle Database
I have a Oracle Package: CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE Array_Test AS TYPE my_array IS VARRAY (10) OF String; PROCEDURE proc_array_test ( p_param1 IN Varchar2, p_array IN my_array); END Array_Test / In Delphi I created an array InfoArray : array[0..9] of String; and would like to pass InfoArray to the Oracle Package Array_Test as a parameter. How do I do that? dmMyDatamodel.stpMyStoredProcedure.ParamByName(‘p_param1’).Text := ‘TESTING’; dmMyDatamodel.stpMyStoredProcedure.ParamByName(‘p_array’) ???????? .... this is where I get stuck. I'm using DBExpress. Thanks ...

Good (Free) Database Choice For Simple Local Database For Delphi 2009
For years I have used the BDE and dVolga ( no longer abailable ) but want to learn how to use other third-party and/or Delphi 2009 vcl components for simple databases. For a simple local database with only one table and 6-8 string fields with graphic field support for one field what is a good choice? What is available to do this without buying anything or possibly with a freeware component? Should I use DBExpress? Is a commercial database application necessary to create the database? Is something available from Microsoft as a free download to create and possibly edit a...

dbExpress/ Delphi 10 trial/ Oracle 10g local Database
I get a "BCD Overflow Exception" when executing a SQL-Query on the delivered Testdata of Oracle ( local Database 10g) / User HR / Table EMPLOYEES and passing the result to a ClientDataSet. Obviously the Field "COMISSION_PCT" causes the error. When excluded, it works. I appreciate if anybody knows a solution. Regards H.Neubauer ...

Oracle Database vs Access Database
I am eventually planning on moving from an Access database to an Oracle database. I have no idea how to do this from the beginning. I know they both use SQL statements, so maybe I would just need to mirror an oracle database after my access and change the connection strings? If someone could answer some questions or point me to a post or web link that describes this in good detail1. How much are oracle databases and where would I find one to download?2. How much more can they hold than access databases?3. Will it be easy to move all my data over or would I have to change a lot with my sql st...

Amazing database for Delphi
In the past I used many databases with Delphi, like sql server, Interbase, BDE and many others, Last year I had standalone project for a Church, the project wasn’t that big, but had thousands of records with a lot of big tables. To avoid any dependencies “BDE, DLLs, servers etc.” I had to find small, compact, and compiles right into my EXE. However, after I looked around (you can find my post on this site), many developers recommended Absolute Database, so I tried it and the price was very good, I surprised how this database handles very advance and complex queries and very fast. I re...

delphi 2010 database
Hello, I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and all works good for me. But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) I found many databases for Delphi, I prefer free or less than $100.00 Thanks On 2010-11-28 19:09:31 -0500, Falah Latino <> said: > Hello, > I’m new to this forum, currently I have application with MS Access and > all works good for me. > But I need more reliable without DLL or other dependencies (for Delphi 2010) > I found many databases for Delphi, > I prefer free or less tha...

Database with Delphi XE3
I've been using Delphi 7 Pro for years and have had to deal with the PDOXUSR.NET access denied problem with Vista OS and up anytime my application uses the Borland Database Engine. I'm thinking of buying Delphi XE3. Can someone tell me if the PDOXUSR.NET Access Denied problem has been taken care of in this version? With Windows 7, it seems that my apps will only run if I have the user reduce their User Account Control to a level the access is no longer denied. I'm hoping this is not an issue with XE3. I'm sorry if this is not the proper forum for my question. I there is a be...

copy database one database to onther database
hii want to copy one database table to onther database table using script?my database is ms-sql server 2000 Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com You can use import/export task and DTS package created automatically by Enterprise manager or just try  select * INTO [newdatabase].dbo.[newTable] from [sourceDatabase].dbo.[sourcetable]  good luckThanksJPazgier no dear i want to this programatticallyiusing c #,source is my database in local machine and target is other computer means server Nothing is really...

Delphi embedded Database with Pivot
Hello, We currently have a database app that works with Microsoft SQL Server. We want to have the option of switching to a native Delphi database to ease deployment issues. All our code is standard SQL, except for the call to the PIVOT command, which we need, and seems specific to SQL server. Do any of the native delphi databases have commands similar to Pivot? Thanks, Dave -- David Novo wrote: > Hello, > > We currently have a database app that works with Microsoft SQL Server. We > want to have the option of switching to a native Delphi database to ease > ...

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Migration from Oracle database to a Sybase 11.5 database
Is there a way to export an oracle database and import it into a sybase 11.5 database? The way to go would be 1] Generate the DDL of oracle_db using Erwin or similar case tool . Erwin allows you to generate Sybase compatible DDLs 2] Copy out the records of all tables into flat files using a Oracle utility . 3] Create the Sybase database . 4] Create datbase objects using the DDL generated. 5] Copy the records into Sybase database using Sybase BCP utility. I am not very familiar with Oracle ,so I wont be able to guide you much on that side. Try to copy out the record...

how to access other database in this database ?

Backup a MySQL database from Delphi
Is there an easy way to backup/restore a MySQL tables from my Delphi application. The database is hosted by my Web host. To remotely connect to my MySQL database, I use ADO (dbGo tab) components. My tables use MyISAM. Can I use mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy from Delphi via ADO? BTW, I use Delphi 2009. > Can I use mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy from Delphi via ADO? mysqldump does not need any additional connectivity layer, like ADO, ODBC or what else. mysqldump uses TCP/IP to connect to MySQL server. So, all what you need: - mysqldump of the your MySQL server version; - run mysqldum...

Web resources about - Delphi and Oracle Database - embarcadero.delphi.database

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

GOP rivals condemn Donald Trump for backing Muslim database
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson said Saturday that he wants to expand the government's surveillance operations aimed at ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

Animal Venom Database Could Be Boon To Drug Development
A new public database that catalogs animal toxins could spur the development of new drugs made with compounds found in animal venom.