App uses BDE but want to use ADO. D7

Apparently the BDE has some black-box magic for accessing Cache' (cash shay) databases, which may be why the BDE was chosen in the first place. But horrors!

How can I convert this to ADO? The means by which the BDE gets to it is completely hidden.

Thanks,

Jon Jacbos
0
Jon

"Jon Jacobs" wrote in message news:4179@forums.codegear.com...
> Apparently the BDE has some black-box magic for accessing Cache' (cash
> shay) databases, which may be why the BDE was chosen in the first place.
> But horrors!
>
> How can I convert this to ADO? The means by which the BDE gets to it is
> completely hidden.

The BDE has no direct support for Cache, I expect the BDE is communicating
with an ODBC driver supplied by or for Cache. Assuming that, then the ADO
components will also connect directly to that ODBC data source.

--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Tips to Get Published: http://dn.codegear.com/article/38467
> The BDE has no direct support for Cache, I expect the BDE is communicating
> with an ODBC driver supplied by or for Cache. Assuming that, then the ADO
> components will also connect directly to that ODBC data source.

I checked the ODBC Adminstrator, and sure enough, there is an ODBC driver for Cache on the machine.

Have ADO depend on ODBC? Wow, that sounds anachronistic!

Thank you very much.

Now I need to find the appropriate connection string to put in my TADOConnection to talk to ODBC...
0
Jon
8/18/2008 7:03:28 PM
Select the ADO to ODBC provider, then select your DSN.

Jon Jacobs wrote:

> Now I need to find the appropriate connection string to put in my TADOConnection to talk to ODBC...
0
quinn

To use or not to use Delphi

Opening a table is slow using ADO, but not when using BDE
I have the following code that opens a fairly small SQL Server database table (only 30,000 records): TADOTable* taDummy = new TADOTable(this); taDummy->Connection = ADOConnection1; taDummy->TableName = "MyTable"; taDummy->Open(); taDummy->Close(); delete taDummy;  The "taDummy->Open();" line takes over thirty whole seconds to execute, which is unacceptable. However, if I change the code to use BDE: TTable* taDummy = new TTable(this); taDummy->DatabaseName = "MyDatabaseName"; taDummy->TableName = "MyTable"; ta...

How to use a .dmp file for a system which crashes using a delphi app
Hi, I put this post here because I am not sure of the best location. I have been given a memory dump (.dmp) file by a client who thinks that a Delphi 7 application is causing their system to blue screen from time to time. Does anyone know how I can use this .dmp file to locate the problem in the delphi app? The build the client is using has debug symbols turned on. I have downloaded Microsoft Debugging Tools for windows and have dupmchk.exe (and kd.exe) but I would really appreciate some help with how these or any other useful tools should be used? Many thanks Ben > I have down...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

How to use the arguments to use() in the package being used
Howdy,=20 The subject says it all believe it or not :) What I'm trying to figure out is how to pass an argument=20 (pragma I believe is the proper term) to use() and do=20 sonethign in the package based on it. I've looked at CGI.pm source but can't seem to track it down.=20 (Similar idea as to CGIs -oldstyle_urls -newstyel_urls) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.04/CGI.pm#PRAGMAS What I'd like to do is something like this: # for old time's sake we'll just use our favorite module use Foo::Monkey qw(:Foo :Bar -doamazingthings); #then in Foo::Monkey...

What Architecutral Style to use with N-Layered ASP.NET MVC app using ADO.NET Entity Framework?
 I thought I will be able to find some good ideas on this ASP.NET MVC forum, assuming that developers using ASP.NET MVC are probably using ADO.NET Entity Framework for Data Access. On the Entity Framework, the Data Access Components and the Business Entities are separated by namespaces. (Logically Grouped.).  If I want to implement business rules, I can still use partial classes with my business entities and inject my additional rules. Different implementations for the data access are also possible by using the repository pattern.When I create applications using N-layered...

Custom icon when using xulrunner app with Firefox using -app flag
Hi All, Trying to use Firefox instead of xulrunner to launch my application. Everything works fine except the custom icon my application has. Is there a way to have custom icon when we launch xul application using Firefox -app flag? Thanks in advance. Vivek Hi, Am 10.09.2013 21:04, ukdvivek@gmail.com wrote: > Trying to use Firefox instead of xulrunner to launch my application. > Everything works fine except the custom icon my application has. > > Is there a way to have custom icon when we launch xul application > using Firefox -app flag? You can use the...

What database to use for our app?
Hi everyone We're looking to update our app to no longer uses proprietary storage but an SQL database. What can you suggest, given the below requirements? Thanks in advance! Jan Must have: - Speed - SQL syntax - Royalty free distribution - The programs are currently written in D6 personal, so we need a proprietary interface Should have: - Embedded into the app, or a limited number of files that can be distributed with the app in its directory - Small footprint - SQL Subselect queries Could have: - Source code - Transactions - BULK INSERT/bulk import - dbExpress in...

Is combining a BDE based database (MySQL 5.1 via ODBC using BDS 2006) and ADO a bad combination??
I have an application where two tables from two databases are coupled together with the fields 'forening;medlnr'. Earlier I used BDE for both databases, but after having recently problems with BDE (reported elsewhere and now solved) I wanted to transfer to ADO, but since Delphi 2006 don't support MySQL 5.1, I need to still contact that database using BDE using ODBC. But when importing data from the MySql base into the ADO base, things has slowed down tremendously. It now use nearly a half second pr record when using a master/slave relationship on the tables (there...

Is combining a BDE based database (MySQL 5.1 via ODBC using BDS 2006) and ADO a bad combination??
Looks like the ADO conference is almost dead at moment :-( So I repeat this question here in hope to get an answer before reverting everything back to BDE :-( I have an application where two tables from two databases are coupled together with the fields 'forening;medlnr'. Earlier I used BDE for both databases, but after having recently problems with BDE (reported elsewhere and now solved) I wanted to transfer to ADO, but since Delphi 2006 don't support MySQL 5.1, I need to still contact that database using BDE using ODBC. But when importing data from the MySql bas...

Help needed on XML database . How to use insert , update etc operations on XML file used as database
Hi !!! I am using an xml file as my database . But I can't  do insert , update and delete ops !!! Some one please help me ...... Pleaseeee help !!!! Its urgent .....     Maybe you need XPath, take a look at:http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/default.asp  Welcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38...

How design a COM using Delphi and Using in PB7?
I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or Activex. What type of knowege or Skill I must know it. Can anyone tell us? from DRAOGN Can you explain what type of component you want to create? You may not need to a) build your own, or b) use Delphi. If the component should be used from within a PB application, you ought to use PB to develop it unless it is something that PB does not let you do. regards, Bill DRAGON wrote: > I need some component, So, we want using DELPHI5 to develop a COM or > Activex. > What type of knowege or Skill I ...

Web resources about - App uses BDE but want to use ADO. D7 - embarcadero.delphi.database

Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting teenager
Reuters Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting teenager Reuters CHICAGO Chicago was calm on Wednesday, a day after the ...

No Thanksgiving parade for the Estefans _ they're too busy
NEW YORK (AP) — Songs from the new musical celebrating the lives of Gloria and Emilio Estefan will have the honor of kicking off the Macy's Thanksgiving ...

F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes on Training Mission; Pilot Safe
F-16 fighter jet from Arizona base crashes on New Mexico training mission; pilot safely ejects

"At First, I Thought It Was the PA Cracking Up." Eagles of Death Metal Talk to Vice about Bataclan Terrorist ...
The band's account is harrowing but necessary. This is some heavy material , but you should really take 26 minutes and watch it. The way the ...

Facts? Donald Trump Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Facts
In an exchange with Bill O’Reilly Monday night, Donald Trump summed up so much of his Presidential campaign in one short statement: File this ...

CFB Playoff Blind Poll Results: from Alabama to Iowa
Yesterday, we ran a blind CFB playoff poll of the potential resumes for teams that ultimately can finish with one loss. Now, right now, Clemson ...

ISIS claims bomb attack on Tunisian presidential guard that killed 12
CNN ISIS claims bomb attack on Tunisian presidential guard that killed 12 CNN The aftermath of a bus explosion that left several people dead ...

A Stunning Series of Screw-Ups Led to October's US Strike on an Afghan Hospital
The Pentagon has completed its investigation of the US attack on a hospital in Afghanistan operated by Doctors Without Borders, and it paints ...

Review: Ryan Coogler's 'Creed' is Early Contender for Best of the Year
Ryan Coogler's Creed is the best film of the year. That may come as a shock for some of you especially if you're among those old enough to remember ...

George Osborne's Autumn Statement ushers in the end of austerity but increases taxes
The Chancellor uses his Autumn Statement to slow the Government's austerity programme by reversing welfare cuts and protecting police budgets, ...