BCB C++ compiler as choice to build open source c/c++ libraries

Quite a few years ago I noticed that a lot of the different C/C++ libraries dropped support for or didn't support the BCB C++ compiler in the favor of the Microsoft C++ compiler or gcc. Just to give you some examples: Qt dropped support for the Borland C++ compiler, and if you pick an open source cross platform C/C++ library it's very likely that the BCB C++ compiler won't be supported. Openssl comes to mind, htmltidy and so on. I have to admit, there are lots of c/c++ libraries out there, I haven't done
a scientific evaluation and I don't have an exact number of the main stream C/C++ libraries that support or don't support the BCB C++ compiler, but at the time, the libraries that I checked out didn't support it, and I had the impression that BCB C++ was sort of a child that nobody wanted.

What is the status these days? BCB comes with boost which is good. But what about other libraries? For instance, if I want to use openssl in a BCB project do I have to build the library using VC++ or gcc? I would be interested to know your experience as well in case you needed to use an open source library.

costa
12/28/2012 9:58:02 PM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.nontech 971 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello costa,

> I had the impression that BCB C++ was sort of a child that nobody wanted.
>
> What is the status these days?

Pretty much unchanged.  That does not mean BCB cannot be used at all, though.
 I use several open-source libraries with BCB.  Sometimes everything works
as-is, sometimes I just have to tweak the code a little to address compiler
issues, sometimes I have to make new makefiles for BCB, etc.

Embarcadero just recently released their new 64-bit C++ compiler that has
new front-end and back-end technologoes for updated compliance with all of
the latest standards.  So maybe open source vendors will take notice and
start targetting it soon.  Eventually, that same technology will be ported
to their 32-bit compiler as well.

> BCB comes with boost which is good. But what about other libraries? For
instance,
> if I want to use openssl in a BCB project do I have to build the library
using VC++ or gcc?

If you want to recompile OpenSSL yourself, then mostly likely, yes.  Personally,
I just use the pre-existing OpenSSL header files with the pre-built OpenSSL
DLLs that are linked to on OpenSLL's website.  They work just fine with BCB.

The one open source library that is a real PITA to recompile in BCB is ACE/TAO.
 It took me a week or so to figure out how to make updated makefiles for
BCB 6, and it takes HOURS to recompile the entire library.  ACE/TAO is one
of those library that definately dropped BCB support, but I think they have
recently been reconsidering that decision.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

C or C++
What's the difference in using C or C++ for ultralite developments?. Novice user. Thank you The ONLY difference is YOUR preference. There is no speed difference between the two. If you are very used to C++ but not used to SQL, then the C++ API maybe a better choice. If you are familiar with SQL, the embedded SQL may make more sense. -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Professional Services Please only post to the newsgroup EBFs and Whitepapers http://www.sybase.com/products/mobilewireless/anywhere/ "Lorenzo Mota" <lorenzomota@aol.com> wro...

About C and C++
Hello, I will resume it like this: On the criterias of "complexity" and "difficulty", the C and C++ programming languages are more complex and difficult than Object Pascal for example, so since they are more complex and difficult they are likely to create something like a darwinian filter who don't let the weaker humans among us humans to cross or to climb the social ladder, this is why i think that C and C++ do participate to social darwinism, this is why i say that C and C++ are bad. Thank you, Amine Moulay Ramdane. Amine Moulay Ramdane wrote: > He...

C++ or C#
HI, I have still seen that many big companies are still using C++ as their primary language of choice instead of C#. Like IBM stilll prefers C++ over c#. Any reason ???HighOnCodingWanna get high! Well not everybody has the .net framework installed. C++ will work on any platform, c# will not yet because the framework has not been ported to all platforms yet (e.g. mac). Also you have to think of the expense of a large company to retrain ALL its coders to use the new framework. Not exactly practical in the short term David LeggDave Legg Considering that they have a huge c...

C Components Using Watcom C/C++ Compiler
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format. --------------ms2646818B6AC700D6597C3859 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------E0BFC7D7A6CA166C48EDA143" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------E0BFC7D7A6CA166C48EDA143 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Does anyone have an example of C skeleton files and Watcom C/C++ make file to compile and load C components into Jaguar using the Watcom C/C++ compiler/Linker? --------------E0BFC7D7A6CA166C48EDA143 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; ch...

Landing c-c-breaking changes that remove c-c-only code from m-c
Thanks to the work that Anne has done on the Encoding Standard specification and the work that Masatoshi Kimura and I have done to progressively implement the specification in Firefox, we are now at a point where there's a whole bunch of internationalization-related dead code in Firefox. The code is still used by mailnews, though. I am not done preparing the removal patches yet, but with my current patch queue I can already get 149 KB off of Android ARMv7 optimized apk size and 138 KB off of Android ARMv7 optimized libxul size. (I'm not sure what sort of size wins are conside...

Landing c-c-breaking changes that remove c-c-only code from m-c
Thanks to the work that Anne has done on the Encoding Standard specification and the work that Masatoshi Kimura and I have done to progressively implement the specification in Firefox, we are now at a point where there's a whole bunch of internationalization-related dead code in Firefox. The code is still used by mailnews, though. I am not done preparing the removal patches yet, but with my current patch queue I can already get 149 KB off of Android ARMv7 optimized apk size and 138 KB off of Android ARMv7 optimized libxul size. (I'm not sure what sort of size wins are conside...

Instant C++ C# to C++ Converter
We've just released version 1.0 of the Instant C++ C# to C++ converter.  Instant C++ converts to either C++/CLI (2005) or Managed C++ (2003).Instant C++ converts C# projects, folders, files, and snippets. David Antonwww.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.comInstant C#: VB.NET to C# ConverterInstant VB: C# to VB.NET ConverterInstant C++: C# to C++ ConverterInstant J#: VB.NET to J# ConverterClear VB: Cleans up outdated VB.NET code David Antonhttp://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.comConvert VB to C#, C++, or JavaConvert C# to VB, C++, or JavaConvert C++ to C#, VB, or JavaConvert Java to C#, C++, or...

C / C++ Compiler-Editor?
First of all, I'm an absolutely beginner at linux and openSuse. I dont even know how to install apps. I learned to install from repositories but I dont know how to install a script file.. I dont even know anything about terminal. So what I want is for now is apps that required to write C/C++ codes and compile them. Im at univ and I need to install these but I dont know which apps I should get or how to install them. I was using MS Visual Studio on windows.. So I used a lot of sentences that start with "I dont know.." Sorry for that and please help me :) . -- Ic...

Referencing C library in C#
I am trying to reference C library in C# and having problems in mapping to the right data types. Here is the code that i am using to reference the function [DllImport("IMPLODE.dll", EntryPoint = "pkimplode", SetLastError = true, CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl, CharSet = CharSet.Auto)] public static extern int Compress (ReadBuffer read_buff, WriteBuffer write_buff, ref char[] work_buf, ref object param, uint cmp_type, uint dsize); public delegate int ReadBuffer (byte[] buffer, ref int size, ref object param); This is the listing of the...

Forcing C to compile as C++?
Hey folks, does anyone know if it's possible to do force a file with a ..c extension to compile as C++? Where is this set in the IDE? Thanks Found the answer. In case anyone else wonders, it's under Project.. Options.. C++ Compiler, there's a flag to force C++ compile. In article <43911@forums.codegear.com>, seanhoffdontspammeplease@againdontspamhotmail.com says... > Hey folks, does anyone know if it's possible to do force a file with a > .c extension to compile as C++? Where is this set in the IDE? > > Thanks > ...

Wrapping C/C++ libraries
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, so please point me to correct direction if it is not. As far as I know, there is no "native" way of calling C/C++ libraries from within Perl 5. When C/C++ API involves structures, the corresponding Perl binding uses hashes, and an intermediate step converts the hash to a structure, and call the C program with the converted structure. An example of an elegent system which does this is in gtk2-perl (http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net). Muppet, please correct me if I am wrong here. Interfacing C/C++ libs this way in...

Coordinating landing on m-c and c-c
In Bug 778668 I'm making changes to the nsIAlertsService that impacts code in m-c and c-c. What's the best way coordinate these landings while not breaking c-c? My m-c patch will do m-i -> m-c -> c-c, but I have no idea which revision of m-c is picked up by c-c and when. Fabrice On 8/8/2012 3:34 PM, Fabrice Desré wrote: > What's the best way coordinate these landings while not breaking c-c? > My m-c patch will do m-i -> m-c -> c-c, but I have no idea which revision > of m-c is picked up by c-c and when. c-c (and try-c-c) always builds the...

cvs commit: parrot chartype.c datatypes.c disassemble.c dod.c encoding.c global (fwd)
FYI- I just re-indented a bunch of code, using the tools/dev/run_indent.p= l = script. --Josh ------- Forwarded Message Date: 02 Nov 2002 14:57:48 +0000 From: josh@cvs.perl.org To: cvs-public-parrot@perl.org Subject: cvs commit: parrot chartype.c datatypes.c disassemble.c dod.c en= coding .c global_setup.c hash.c jit.c key.c method_util.c misc.c packdump.c = packout.c pdb.c pdump.c pmc.c pxs.c register.c res_lea.c resources.c = runops_cores.c rx.c rxstacks.c spf_render.c spf_vtable.c stacks.c str ing.c sub.c warnings.c cvsuser 02/11/02...

unable to install software from source b/c missing c libraries
I'm having trouble installing software from the source files. From what I can gather the problem lies with not having the correct c libraries installed. My understanding is you use the ./configure, make, and make install commands in a terminal to install. And that the configure command checks to see if you have everything to install. this is the output when I try to configure: checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p checking for gawk... gawk checking...

Web resources about - BCB C++ compiler as choice to build open source c/c++ libraries - embarcadero.cppbuilder.nontech

University of California Libraries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in 100 libraries on ten campuses. The purpose of these libraries is to assist research and instruction on the University of California campuses. ...

What we read and watched from Libraries ACT in 2015
... we wanted to declutter, we wanted to read about the "real" Julia. And, unlike previous years, we didn't want to borrow cookbooks. Libraries ...

New website allows youth to report cyber bullying at ACT libraries
... for material to be taken off the internet. A new pilot website launched this week allows young people to report cyber bullying in ACT libraries, ...

New fine regime for Libraries ACT results in fall in overdue times and fine revenue
&nbsp;Canberra library users have returned about 150,000 more items on time this year under a still-new fine regime.

Your definitive Little Libraries map of Waterloo Region
We're making a photo map of all of the Little Libraries in Waterloo Region and beyond. Check it out and submit your own.

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries" ...

USC Libraries Acquire Wayne Thom Photography Archive
The University of Southern California Libraries have acquired the archive of Wayne Thom, the Pacific Rim master architectural photographer with ...

ARM Math Libraries to Speed HPC Applications
At the SC 15 show, the company will demonstrate the libraries that will improve the performance of applications running on 64-bit ARM systems. ...

The Future Of Libraries Is Collaborative, Robotic, And Participatory
Libraries can survive these times of technological upheaval, but they're going to have to change—and fast. To look at the state of many libraries ...

Digitizing The World's Libraries Using Smartphones
What if every smartphone user on the planet scanned just one public domain book from their library?