Making C++ Builder 6 and XE5 co-exist ?

Hello, here's my problem:

I had working projects under C++ Builder 6, and tried C++ Builder XE5 (trial version).

My old projects stopped compiling under Builder 6, because XE5 had changed important header files used by my projects. It even introduced new header files that changed type definitions, making my projects uncompilable (under 6).

I had to uninstall everything (including builder 6), and start over again to get my projects to compile properly.

Now, is there a way to install XE5 without changing anything in version 6 ?  (allowing me the possibility to port my projects to XE5) ?
0
Denis
3/4/2014 6:36:05 PM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.install 385 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Denis wrote:

> My old projects stopped compiling under Builder 6, because XE5
> had changed important header files used by my projects.

It should not have done that.  Each IDE version is isolated from other IDE
versions (minus global shared resources, like the JIT compiler).  Installing
a newer IDE version does not change any files in an earlier IDE version.
 So the only way I can think of your problem happening is if your Includes
folders are in the global system PATH, where they do not belong.  Each IDE
version has its own local Includes folder, and should not be looking at another
version's Includes folder.

> It even introduced new header files that changed type definitions,
> making my projects uncompilable (under 6).

System header files do change over time, so XE5 would have newer/modified
header files.  But a BCB6 project compiled in the BCB6 IDE should not be
using XE5's header files, and vice versa.  If it is, then your search paths
are not configured properly to keep them isolated.

> I had to uninstall everything (including builder 6), and start over
> again to get my projects to compile properly.

No, you did not need to do that.

> Now, is there a way to install XE5 without changing anything in
> version 6 ?

If you install it correctly, it does not change anything in other versions.
 There are plenty of people who have multiple BCB versions running side-by-side
without having this problem.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Denis wrote:
>
> > My old projects stopped compiling under Builder 6, because XE5
> > had changed important header files used by my projects.
>
> It should not have done that.  Each IDE version is isolated from other IDE
> versions (minus global shared resources, like the JIT compiler).  Installing
> a newer IDE version does not change any files in an earlier IDE version.
>  So the only way I can think of your problem happening is if your Includes
> folders are in the global system PATH, where they do not belong.  Each IDE
> version has its own local Includes folder, and should not be looking at another
> version's Includes folder.
>
> > It even introduced new header files that changed type definitions,
> > making my projects uncompilable (under 6).
>
> System header files do change over time, so XE5 would have newer/modified
> header files.  But a BCB6 project compiled in the BCB6 IDE should not be
> using XE5's header files, and vice versa.  If it is, then your search paths
> are not configured properly to keep them isolated.
>
> > I had to uninstall everything (including builder 6), and start over
> > again to get my projects to compile properly.
>
> No, you did not need to do that.
>
> > Now, is there a way to install XE5 without changing anything in
> > version 6 ?
>
> If you install it correctly, it does not change anything in other versions.
>  There are plenty of people who have multiple BCB versions running side-by-side
> without having this problem.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thanks for the quick reply!  Well, I have my old projects compiling properly now in version 6. Will re-install XE5 to find out. Will check the system PATH variable before and after installing XE5 though!

Edit: just took a look at it (cmd window > path), and it is loaded with Borland references.  Where does THAT get set, and how do I get rid of this?. I remember in DOS, it was in autoexec.bat, but haven't seen this for a looong while now...

Edited by: Denis Deslauriers on Mar 4, 2014 11:17 AM
0
Denis
3/4/2014 7:18:52 PM
Hello Denis,

> Edit: just took a look at it (cmd window > path), and it is loaded
> with Borland references.  Where does THAT get set, and how do
> I get rid of this?. I remember in DOS, it was in autoexec.bat, but
> haven't seen this for a looong while now...

On Windows 7:

Right-click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Environment
Variables

Earlier versions of Windows had a similar option in the My Computer properties
dialog.

Also keep in mind that modern BCB versions also have their own built-in Environment
Variables on top of the system Environment Variables:

Tools > Options > Environment Options > Environment Variables.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

problem of converting from C++ Builder 6 to C++ Builder 2007
Hi, A program which was developed by our partner was built fine with C++ Builder 6. Now I need to make some changes to it. We bought C++ Builder 2007 a few weeks ago. When I open the program with C++ Builder 2007, I was told that the project needs to be converted. I agreed. Then when I compile it, some errors happen: [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(435): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(3880): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(4658): E2272 Identifier expected ...... Anybody has any idea how to fix it? Thanks, Allen In article <14040@f...

Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007
Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote: > Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE. There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make fell into two categories: 1) Places...

sgcWebSockets for C++ Builder 6
The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. [http://www.esegece.com/manual/sgcWebSockets.pdf] a) All Delphi/C++Builder Versions: Add the directory {$DIR}\source to the library path How can I run delphi code in a C++ Builder Project? Is it possible? > {quote:title=Eliseu Martins Gomes wrote:}{quote} > The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. Most Delphi components are usable in C++Builder...

Converting from Borland C++ Builder 6 to XE5
I tested several applications developped under Borland C++ Builder 6 and all "normal" projects using forms and units compiled nicely under XE5 with a small problem that some labels or buttons seem to look slightly different. However, the few console applications I had did not compile at all. I got many "unresolved external ...." in connection with AnsiStrings. I used AnsiStrings also in the projects mentioned first, so I am sure it is a simple include-statement which I am missing in the console applicatio ns and which is different to BCB6. Any hint? Peter wrote: > ...

Making an installation program with Install Builder.
Hello everybody. I'm doing an installation program of my application with Install Builder 5.0. The problem is very simple, I'm in Spain, so I need that the windows appear in Spanish. It is possible? Thank you in advance. I'm not sure if the PowerDesigner forum is where you wanted to post this. Is your question PowerBuilder-related? -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com http://www.datamodel.org Carlos L�pez <clopez@unisoft-x.com> wrote in message news:ZrXbxtyN$GA.303@forums.sybase.com... > Hello everybody...

Problem with a fresh installation of C++Builder XE5 Starter [Edit]
I am entirely new to C++Builder, please help. There were no errors during the installation process. In order to say hello to the world, I opened the Samples\CPP\VCL\Controls folder and chose bcbsmp.bcbproj Then I went to Project -> Build bcbsmp.cpp Here is the message I received: [MSBuild Error] The "BCC32" task failed unexpectedly. System.Exception: Platform not supported:MCD at Borland.Build.Tasks.Cpp.BCC32.GenerateFullPathToTool() at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.ComputePathToTool() at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute() at Borland.Build.T...

Package BPL (Developed in Delphi 6)
I'm trouble installing a component (BPL) developed in Delphi 6 at C++ Builder 2007. (Estou com uma dúvida/problema ao instalar um componente (BPL) desenvolvido em Delphi 6 no C++ Builder 2007) Registration procedure, Sbc_reg.Register in package F:\Usr\Temp\marcio\Compon\PacoteSmarapd.bpl raised exception class EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000. Can anyone help me ???? (Alguém pode me ajudar?) "SMARAPD Informática Ltda" <=?Utf-8?Q?SMARAPD_Inform=C3=A1tica_Ltda?=> wrote in message news:45144@forums.cod...

Installing JCL (jcl-2.4.1.4571) within C++ Builder 6
I downloaded the latest version of JCL (jcl-2.4.1.4571). I unzipped the content of the file into a new folder: "C:\C++ Builder 6\jcl-2.4.1.4571" Within this new folder, I run 'Install.bat'. I did not modify any of the options found in the 'Project JEDI Installer'. When I click the 'Install' button, I get an 'access violation' in module 'rtl60.bpl.' Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong? Here is the content of the log file: {code} ================================================================================ JCL 2.4 Releas...

Installing 6 into existing tree hangs during install.
Okay,lemme try this again. I have a total of four servers. Two 6 and two 5.1. Right now my set up is I have one 6 server that is that master and the two 5.1 servers sit under it under one tree. The other 6 server I had set up to test some Web/FTP stuff on it and it runs as a stand alone server under it's own tree. I have ran it this way for about 6 months or so. Now what I tried to do is reinstall the 6 Web/FTp server and put it under my Exsiting tree. (no sense to have two tree for right now). Well the problem is that it takes for ever to install. When it installs N...

ANN: LMD 2014.1 Platform Release (700+ controls for C++Builder 6 to XE5)
LMD 2014.1 installers are available now! The full platform release includes more than 700 VCL controls for Delphi/C++Builder 6 and better (including XE5). All main and standalone pack installers (for registered users) were updated. Review all changes at http://wiki.lmd.de/index.php/LMD_2014_-_History Find current summary of all LMD 2014 changes at LMD 2014 What's New Page: http://wiki.lmd.de/index.php/LMD_VCL_2014_-_News To learn more about other LMD products visit the General Product Page: http://www.lmd.de/products/vcl All products are based on LMD2014 platform (includi...

Indy10.6.0.5040 receive fails on Win 7 OS since upgrading to XE5 C++Builder
Since upgrading from XE2 to XE5 C++ Builder, using a project successfully compiled and running under XE2 (Indy 10.5.0...) when compiled under XE5 (Indy 10.6.0.5040) will work on transmitting MCast data to devices but will not receive the returned data from the OS. Wireshark verifies that the expected data was received by the NIC OK. However, using, for instance, RcvByteCnt = IdIPMCastServer1->Binding->Receive(RecvBuffer); after the discovery request, results in a 'Socket error: connection timeout 10060' after the 2 second receive time out. Devices returned data to the request in...

10.0.6 & 10.0.7 updates will not properly install in C++ Builder 2009
Okay, it looks like there is a problem with C++ Builder 2009 IntraWeb updates. I ran my Delphi 2009 (we bought both) and the updates definately installed there (log on standalone server shows IntraWeb version 10.0.7.. source code shows 10.0.7 being used). Everyone who has C++ Builder 2009 and has installed the new updates I need you to look at your standalone server log or your Source code on your intraweb browser, I'm betting you will see 10.0.0 instead of 10.0.7. Is there anyone at Embarcadero who can test to see if this is true? Have the updates been fully tested to make sure t...

6.5 and 6.0 Servers Co-exist?
I am ready to migrate our 6.0 sp3 box to a new 6.5 box via Migration Wizard - rwo questions: - For the time being we will need to have two 6.0 sp3 servers running Groupwise 6.5 in the same tree with the 6.5 server housing NDS- will that pose any problems? - Any idea how long the wizard will take to migrate about 40 GB over 100 Mbps? Thank You for your help Derek Villaloboz, > - For the time being we will need to have two 6.0 sp3 servers running > Groupwise 6.5 in the same tree with the 6.5 server housing NDS- will that > pose any problems? Nope, but I would p...

Writing in plain C under C++Builder XE5 Starter
I have been using bcc32 directly and am new to the Builder IDE. I installed the Builder XE5 Starter and tried to test it using the following code: {code} #include <windows.h> int PASCAL WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { char user[32]; DWORD chBuffer = 32; if(GetUserName(user, &chBuffer) == TRUE) MessageBox(NULL, user, "User", MB_OK); return 0; } {code} Then got these messages: [bcc32 Error] sdiapp.cpp(6): E2034 Cannot convert 'char[32]' to 'wchar_t *' [bcc32 Error] sdiapp.cpp(6): E2342 T...

Web resources about - Making C++ Builder 6 and XE5 co-exist ? - embarcadero.cppbuilder.install

How can Facebook and search advertising co-exist?
Though many marketers see Facebook and Google as opponents in the advertising world, more companies are finding they actually complement each ...

Co.Exist (@FastCoExist) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Co.Exist @ FastCoExist New ...

Mining, art co-exist through Groote force
AT first, Matthew McKenzie seems detached as a bunch of whitefellas on a mine tour clamber over the sandstone outcrop on his Anindilyakwa-speaking ...

IBM CEO Ginni Rometty: 'Growth And Comfort Don't Co-Exist'
... embrace it, she said on stage Tuesday at Fortune's Most Powerful Women Summit in Laguna Niguel, California. "Growth and comfort don't co-exist. ...

Eris COO: Private and Public Blockchains Need to Co-Exist
Outspoken Eris COO Preston Byrne talks misconceptions about his firm, which is among the more notable to claim the blockchain can exitst without ...

At Interior Dept., Google Apps to co-exist with Outlook, Office for now
Although the U.S. Interior Department plans to replace its on-premise email servers with Google Apps' cloud-based Gmail, the agency will retain ...

Agile vs CMMI: Or can they co-exist?
Is there something intrinsically incompatible between Agile and CMMI that will forever keep this conversation burning? This always heated debate ...

Tim Palen And Nancy Kirkpatrick To Co-Exist As Marketing Chiefs For Lionsgate And Summit Respectively ...
... what would happen to their two veteran marketing chiefs, Tim Palen and Nancy Kirkpatrick. So here’s what’s been decided because the two companies ...

Bungie: 'microtransactions and expansions can co-exist' for Destiny
... themselves; those have been very well received and have sold well also. I think we've already shown that DLC and microtransactions can co-exist ...

Iggy Azalea to Paparazzi: We Have To Find a Way to Co-Exist
Iggy Azalea opened up to ET's Brooke Anderson about her recent run-in with paparazzi backstage at the CBS Radio We Can Survive concert.