C++ Builder 6 on Win8 - unable to (re)activate [Edit]

My Borland C++ Builder 6 running on a VM upgraded to Win8 will not activate.

I had a working WinXP VM with both C++ Builder 6 and RAD Studio 2007 installed and activated.  Needing a test case machine for upgrade WinXP -> Win Vista -> Win7 -> Win8, I decided to use this.  I made a copy of the VM and upgraded this.

The Win8 install with all applications works fine, but that is not the story here.

Today I went to use BCB6, which is installed under C:\Program Files\Borland.  The permissions on this folder (including all sub-folders and files) had already been overridden to "allow all" by Authenticated Users, and the HKLM\Borland key of the registry had similarly had its permissions changed (including all sub-key and values).

However, BCB6 reported that it was not activated, or the licence could not be found or was invalid, insisting that I activate.  I ensured the VM had Internet access and then asked it to activate over the Internet.  After providing suitable credentials, I was advised that the activation had succeeded.

However, when the form of the activation application was closed, an underlying dialog in BCB6 was visible, saying that it was not activated, and asking me to activate.  I am guessing that some other folder or registry needs its permissions over-ridden, but have no idea what.  I even tried to "Run as Administrator" the registration application, but had equal lack of success.

While I still have the original WinXP VM and believe that BCB6 will still work fine there, I need to upgrade the OS (with WinXP support finishing soon).

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this working again?

Edited by: Paul Adams on Jun 12, 2013 12:31 AM
0
Paul
6/12/2013 7:33:31 AM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.install 385 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Paul wrote:

> While I still have the original WinXP VM and believe that BCB6 will
> still work fine there, I need to upgrade the OS (with WinXP support
> finishing soon).

Just because Microsoft is ending support for XP does not mean you can't keep
using it altogether, especiaally if it is already installed.

> Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this working again?

Have you tried using SysInternals Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645)
to see what folders/files the IDE is having trouble accessing?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Just because Microsoft is ending support for XP does not mean you can't keep
> using it altogether, especiaally if it is already installed.

Hi Remy,

I understand that I can continue to use it.  The issue is with security.  This VM will be used on a LAN with uncontrolled PC, raising the risk of infection once support of (read: fixing vulnerabilities in) Windows XP ends.

Accordingly, I would prefer to move all my development to a single VM that is in an operating system that is being actively maintained.

> Have you tried using SysInternals Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645)
> to see what folders/files the IDE is having trouble accessing?

Thanks for the suggestion on this.  I remembered that there was a tool which allowed me to track the use of files / folders / registry keys / registry values, but could not remember what it is.  I will give this a try.
0
Paul
> Have you tried using SysInternals Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645)
> to see what folders/files the IDE is having trouble accessing?

Hi Remy,

I tried using ProcessMonitor and captured a lot of data - possibly too much data.  I now have a problem of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

However, having gained an understanding that two locations were being used - C:\Windows\Registration and HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 - I decided to study these in both the original VM and the updated VM.

One thing that was apparent was that the file being accessed in C:\Windows\Registration differed between the two operating systems.  However, suspecting that this is probably simply an effect of the operating system upgrade, and understanding that this is part of a Microsoft Windows software registration system, I decided to ignore this.

The registry showed one interesting difference.  While the WinXP VM also had a key HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0 (as the Windows XP installation of C++ Builder 6.0 was an upgrade from 5.0), in the upgraded OS VM, this key was missing.  Accordingly, I exported the "5.0" key in the WinXP VM and imported it in the Win8 VM.  I suspect that Windows 8 upgrade had determined that the product corresponding to that key had been removed, and so removed the key.

Another attempt at launching BCB failed and the subsequent registration reported success while it actually failed.

I will point out that all through this, I was repeatedly capturing ProcessMonitor traces, and carefully wading through for anything of interest.

Acting purely on a whim, I deleted the LM value from the HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 key - I suspected that this was something that was likely created when the product registered, meaning that *-not-* having it would likely have no negative impact and may actually assist.

I then again attempted to launch BCB.EXE, which rapidly chained into BCB6REG.EXE and I again went through the registration process.  Again, this reported that it had worked.  However, this time when I closed BCB6REG.EXE, Borland C++ Builder 6.0 was launching and complaining about various run-time library conflicts.  This is a known issue with my dual IDE installation and is normally worked around by launching BCB.EXE from a batch file that sets an appropriate PATH variable.  As I was trying to track just
the application's activity, I was not using the batch file.

Accordingly, it seems that one (or maybe two) things were needed to effect the proper re-registration - perhaps, replace the key for the product from which I upgraded plus, remove the LM value from the HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 key.

Hopefully, this helps anyone else who is crazy enough to want to run BCB6 in Win8.
0
Paul
6/13/2013 3:54:24 AM
> {quote:title=Paul Adams wrote:}{quote}
> Accordingly, it seems that one (or maybe two) things were needed to effect the proper re-registration - perhaps, replace the key for the product from which I upgraded plus, remove the LM value from the HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 key.

I have a copy of the Win8 VM that has not had either of these changes made.  As it is clear that simply adding the "5.0" key was not enough, I will experiment with removing the "LM" value and report back what I find.
0
Paul
6/13/2013 4:03:36 AM
> {quote:title=Paul Adams wrote:}{quote}

> Accordingly, it seems that one (or maybe two) things were needed to effect the proper re-registration - perhaps, replace the key for the product from which I upgraded plus, remove the LM value from the HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 key.

Having tested with the "unmodified" copy of the Win8 VM, I have found that all that was required was the removal of the LM --key-- value from the HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\6.0 key.

Edited by: Paul Adams on Jun 13, 2013 5:43 PM
0
Paul

re-install C++ builder [Edit]
I've just had my computer crash on me! and I had to re-install my copy of c++ Builder 4.0 from cd. It had some troubles readin files from disk, so I had to manually install the program. (Not using the install or setup files that come on the cd) All worked fine except some components on the Internet palette. I was able to determine that they were from nmfast40.bpl library. I was not able to find such a file on my system. the only one I could find with that name is in the C++ builder/libs directory and that one has an extension of .bpi, which is the wrong extension. Do anyone kno...

C++ Builder 6 Activation
I just moved my C++ Builder 6 Professional to a new computer in an area where there is no web access. I have the code needed from the registration wizard to allow me to get the activation code from an area where I do have web access, but I do not see where to go on the Embarcader web site to activate the product. Try using this link: https://reg.codegear.com/srs6/sanctone_serial_number.jsp > {quote:title=Richard Casten wrote:}{quote} > I just moved my C++ Builder 6 Professional to a new computer in an area where there is no web access. > > I have the code needed from...

Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007
Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote: > Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE. There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make fell into two categories: 1) Places...

problem of converting from C++ Builder 6 to C++ Builder 2007
Hi, A program which was developed by our partner was built fine with C++ Builder 6. Now I need to make some changes to it. We bought C++ Builder 2007 a few weeks ago. When I open the program with C++ Builder 2007, I was told that the project needs to be converted. I agreed. Then when I compile it, some errors happen: [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(435): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(3880): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(4658): E2272 Identifier expected ...... Anybody has any idea how to fix it? Thanks, Allen In article <14040@f...

C++ 11 on Builder 6 [Edit]
I am looking for to use some libraries (JSON and WebSoCkets) to run on C++ Builder 6, and most of them use C++ 11. Does someone know if is possible to make Builder 6 work for C++ 11? Edited by: Eliseu Martins Gomes on Mar 7, 2014 11:40 AM Eliseu wrote: > Does someone know if is possible to make Builder 6 work for C++ 11? No, it is not possible. C++Builder 6 was released a decade before C++11 was released. C++11 is only implemented in the Win64 compiler of C++Builder XE2 and later, to a lesser extent in the iOS compiler of C++Builder XE5, and a FEW select features of C...

sgcWebSockets for C++ Builder 6
The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. [http://www.esegece.com/manual/sgcWebSockets.pdf] a) All Delphi/C++Builder Versions: Add the directory {$DIR}\source to the library path How can I run delphi code in a C++ Builder Project? Is it possible? > {quote:title=Eliseu Martins Gomes wrote:}{quote} > The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. Most Delphi components are usable in C++Builder...

BUG (or issue) with Indy, C++ Builder 2010 and C++ Builder XE [Edit]
To reproduce this issue you need a clean installation (from scratch, no additional components installed, no Indy update) of C++ Builder 2010 or XE. It uses Indy 10.5.5 (with 2010) or 10.5.7 (with XE). Note: although it uses Indy to reproduce the issue, the version of Indy and Indy itself is not the one that causes this problem but the linking of C++ binary probably. Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a simple text file with the following content. Save it as "file.txt" or any other name. It can be also full email message but the text below is enough. {code} Subject: =?windows-125...

installing component in C++ Builder XE2 Trial [Edit]
I have following problem. I tried install component SMDBGrid (from page http://www.scalabium.com/) in C++ Builder XE2 Trial Update 2. I create new package and add all *.pas files from component. After that I tried build the package. But I recived error message: "[DCC Fatal Error] pasall.tmp(1): F1027 Unit not found: 'System.pas' or binary equivalents (.dcu)". In Project ->Options -> Directories and Conditionals ->Library path I have text "$(BDSLIB)\$(PLATFORM)\debug". Environment variables are correct and file "system.dcu" exists in corr...

Why is C++ Builder 6 ignoring a TMemo on a form ? [Edit]
Hi I'm using C++ builder 6 on Windows XP pro. I have a form, MainForm (in MainFormUnit.h), and a TMemo in a TPageControl on it, with the TMemo called AxisInfo. When in another unit, (with #include "MainFormUnit.h" at the top), I type MainForm->AxisInfo C++ builder tells me that AxisInfo is not a member of TMainForm. In fact, when I type just MainForm->A the list of all controls on MainForm that begin with 'A' appear, but AxisInfo is not among them, so when I type the next character 'x', it shows that nothing it recogjnises starts with MainForm-&g...

Installing C++Builder and Delphi XE2 on the same computer. [Edit]
Presently I have purchased, downloaded and installed C++Builder Pro off of the ISO file named “Delphi XE2 and C++Builder XE2 ISO (includes Update 3)”, now with the BOGO offer I want to install Delphi on the same machine. I was given a link to download Delphi but it is the same link for the C++Builder installation which is a download with Update 1 only, that’s why I installed off the ISO file. My question(s) are: (1)-does the installation know what flavor of RAD by the serial number provided and therefore installs Delphi XE2? (2)-If installing on the same computer, will both applications uti...

Error while launching C++ Builder 6 IDE [Edit]
Hi, Good Afternoon, I have installed japanese version of C++ builder 6 software in my PC(English version of Windows XP). After complete installation(typical mode), i tried to launch the IDE through the following path. Start->All Programs-> Borland C++Builder 6-> C++ Builder6. While launching the IDE, i am getting the following error. I tried installation in other modes(Custom and Compact) also. I am facing the same problem. *モジュール’coreide60.bpl'のアドレス0053FE88でアドレス00000008に対する読み込み違反が起きました* Can anyone help me in resolving this error? Is there any pre-requisite for in...

C++ Builder 6.0 compiler fatal error [Edit]
Good time of day or night to all! I'm sorry for raising this old stuff, but I have no time to get shifted to XE4 Builder. Please help me advanced programmers... All the time developing my program I used to compile it in such a way that IDE was not producing stand alone exe file, so it was using those dynamic RTLs and so on. Quite recently I wanted to make stand alone exe, but failed with the following error messages: [C++ Warning] utilcls.h(1149) W8027 Functions containing do are not expanded inline _ASSERTE(vt!= VT_UNKNOWN); [C++ Fatal Error] UFP.h(354) F1004 Internal compiler e...

Llicense, installations and other doubts regarding C++ Builder XE [Edit]
I’ve just downloaded and installed C++ Builder XE Trial under Win XP SP3. I have some doubts in case I buy the software (it would be C++ Builder XE Pro and I’m a single user): -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 - How would I register the new license and get rid of the trial version? (I couldn’t find a menu item to "Register a definitive license") -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 - Will I have to uninstall the trial version a...

Problem with a fresh installation of C++Builder XE5 Starter [Edit]
I am entirely new to C++Builder, please help. There were no errors during the installation process. In order to say hello to the world, I opened the Samples\CPP\VCL\Controls folder and chose bcbsmp.bcbproj Then I went to Project -> Build bcbsmp.cpp Here is the message I received: [MSBuild Error] The "BCC32" task failed unexpectedly. System.Exception: Platform not supported:MCD at Borland.Build.Tasks.Cpp.BCC32.GenerateFullPathToTool() at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.ComputePathToTool() at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute() at Borland.Build.T...

Re: Do C++Builder 2006 works if installed on Win7-64?
> {quote:title=parduz zudrap wrote:}{quote} > > {quote:title=parduz zudrap wrote:}{quote} > > As the subject says. > > And, if it works, there's any kind of bug/glitch/strange behaviour (other than the ones it already show on WinXP 32) i should be aware of? > > > > Thanks > > Humbly bump.... i need to choose what PCs and what OS buy for the office, and i'd like to avoid any big mistake... Don't touch Windows8 and MS Office 2013 unless you do very careful and extensive testing. I didn't and I think they're horrid. I keep ...

Web resources about - C++ Builder 6 on Win8 - unable to (re)activate [Edit] - embarcadero.cppbuilder.install

PMD Offerpop launches ‘Activate,’ a gallery of social activity
Offerpop , a Facebook Preferred Marketing Developer, today announced Activate by Offerpop — an engaging visual gallery that shows Facebook, Twitter, ...

"Activate the world" (or: what "mobile" really means)
A mind map I did for some upcoming talks. The central idea is that thinking about mobile isn't just "thinking about mobile devices" but calls ...

Windows Phone 7 - How to activate and use TellMe voice search - YouTube
Speech Features in Windows Phone 7. I was having issues with the player so I have uploaded this video made by Microsoft. Microsoft Tellme's speech ...

Canberra Metro and Activate tram consortiums meeting local contractors
Local construction companies are hoping for fair and inclusive consideration from the shortlisted tram consortiums.

Mayor Robert Doyle promises to activate Melbourne as city switches on 24 hours
Police, welfare workers and city officials are preparing for an unprecedented surge in CBD late night crowds.

Researchers activate Apple iSight webcams without warning light
If a laptop has a built-in camera, then someone can access it to spy on the user at any time, and the user would never know.

MH370: Malaysia releases preliminary report revealing it took four hours for search to activate
Malaysia has made public a preliminary report on flight MH370 and other data that marks its most extensive release of information on the missing ...

Researchers activate Apple iSight webcams without warning light
If a laptop has a built-in camera, then someone can access it to spy on the user at any time, and the user would never know.

Cyclone Pam: Vanuatu activates emergency plans as category five system predicted
Vanuatu is bracing for a powerful hit from Cyclone Pam which has been upgraded to a category four storm system.

Rosetta comet mission activates drill on Philae lander
The first spacecraft mission ever to land on a comet has begun drilling into the comet's surface.