Source code line counting in BDS2006

Hello,

Is there a way to count the number of lines of a particular project developed with BDS2006 C++? I've tried using the "Information for..." option under the "Project" menu, but this returns the total lines compiled, including BDS and third party libraries. I would like to keep track just the in-house lines.

Thanks,

Roberto
0
Roberto

> Is there a way to count the number of lines of a particular project developed with BDS2006 C++? I've tried using the "Information for..." option under the "Project" menu, but this returns the total lines compiled, including BDS and third party libraries. I would like to keep track just the in-house lines.
I don't know about a supported method through the IDE, but you could use
the search in files function to search all the files in the project for
newline characters. The find count should be close. Fine tune with a
regex to find newline followed by not-a-newline (to eliminate empty
spacing for readability)
0
Benjamin
8/20/2008 12:50:18 AM
Of course, you are back to the old, old question: "Is a comment line to be
considered a line of code?"
Hopefully we won't get into that discussion.
John

"Benjamin Pratt" <bee_dee_pratt_at@_mail_dot_com> wrote in message
> I don't know about a supported method through the IDE, but you could use
> the search in files function to search all the files in the project for
> newline characters. The find count should be close. Fine tune with a
> regex to find newline followed by not-a-newline (to eliminate empty
> spacing for readability)
0
John
8/20/2008 11:58:09 AM
Not to say anything about the (again very old) question of relating lines of
code to productivity.
By breaking up lines of code one can increase their "productivity" by a
large factor very easily.
But, this isn't the place for these kinds of discussions either.
John
0
John
8/20/2008 12:00:54 PM
John Cibulskis wrote:
> Not to say anything about the (again very old) question of relating lines of
> code to productivity.
> By breaking up lines of code one can increase their "productivity" by a

Probably if there was no legacy of languages like BASIC and COBOL that
integrated line numbers into the language, we probably wouldn't equate
'line' with productivity today.
What do you think would be a better metric for measuring either
'productivity' and/or 'complexity' using a simple quantifiable method?
Maybe object code size? I don't really like that either. I suspect there
might not be an simple accurate method for today's languages.
0
Benjamin
8/20/2008 4:56:30 PM
I tried not responding to this, but I didn't have enough will power.
In the old days, we didn't try to objectify productivity.  As a team leader,
I was well aware of the productivity (or lack thereof) of my team members
and all it took was my word.  Nowadays, I suppose if one tried doing things
that way one would get sued.

There has actually been considerable research done on software metrics and
the objectification of productivity.  I'll have to admit that I read quite a
bit of it - but that was at least 10 years ago.  There were a number of
books available addressing software metrics and there must be many more now.
Let us know what book you choose and tell us if it is any good.

> Probably if there was no legacy of languages like BASIC and COBOL that
> integrated line numbers into the language, we probably wouldn't equate
> 'line' with productivity today.
> What do you think would be a better metric for measuring either
> 'productivity' and/or 'complexity' using a simple quantifiable method?
> Maybe object code size? I don't really like that either. I suspect there
> might not be an simple accurate method for today's languages.
0
John
8/21/2008 2:36:07 PM
> I tried not responding to this, but I didn't have enough will power.
I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, but its quiet here, so I doubt
there will be flames.

> In the old days, we didn't try to objectify productivity.  As a team leader,
> I was well aware of the productivity (or lack thereof) of my team members
> and all it took was my word.  Nowadays, I suppose if one tried doing things
> that way one would get sued.

My experience has been similar. At my first job there were 6 programmers
working as a team. It was obvious to us who was or was not productive.
However, the group's productivity was solely measured by two things; Do
projects finish on time? Are new, useful, features being added?
Otherwise management didn't care who did what.
Later, I became the dept manager and, when work slowed, I was asked if
some in the team could go, and if so who? The right people were
laid-off, and no stink resulted. I think it is the responsibility of
managers to make subjective decisions regarding worker productivity.
That's how it works in virtually every other industry, programming
should be no different.
Since leaving that job, I've mostly worked solo, so I don't have much
further experience on the subject.
I find it interesting though that some companies might use line counting
as a metric. I have been asked for line counts before, but it was in the
context of complexity/sophistication. This was a marketing guy who
wanted to say, 'With the 300k lines of code in our product, it is the
most sophisticated of its kind on the market.'
This is also not a good metric for measuring sophistication, but I
didn't see the harm in it, since most marketing material is full of
garbage anyway.
0
Benjamin

Counting lines of source code
Does C++ Builder XE contain some tool to count source code lines? Hi Ville Ville Kotikangas wrote: > Does C++ Builder XE contain some tool to count source code lines? There is a free one here: http://www.ab-tools.com/en/software/universalcodelinescounter/ Best regards Asger-P > {quote:title=Ville Kotikangas wrote:}{quote} > Does C++ Builder XE contain some tool to count source code lines? Yes, more or less: XE comes with a console tool 'grep' (just open an command line window and type 'grep ?'). Then try this command: {code}grep -d -c "^...

code line :) how can i display source code line in default.aspx.vb ?
hello friends:) hello friends  code line :) how can i display source code line number in default.aspx.vb ? for example 1 2 3 ...... cheers Mark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) from visual studio tools>options>text editor>basic>genrelform there you select display line numbers Muhanad YOUNISMCSD.NETMy Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn I can tell you for VS2005. Shouldn't be much different... Tools->OptionsIn treeview on the left: Text Editor-> All Languages -> General Then you'll find Display Line numbers...

Source code line counting with BDS 2006
Hello, Is there a way to count the number of lines of a particular project developed with BDS2006 C++? I've tried using the "Information for..." option under the "Project" menu, but this returns the total lines compiled, including BDS and third party libraries. I would like to keep track just the in-house lines. Thanks, Roberto ...

i have 5 codes line.. how can i go to 2 code line from 5 code line ??
hello friends i use visual basic for visual web developer and i have below code.. i have 5 codes line.. how can i go to 2 code line from 5 code line ?? c = 0 second line If System.IO.File.Exists("~\resimler\") = True Then c = c +1i want to go to 2 code line from here End If Dim DestinationPath As String = "~\resimler\" & c.ToString & FileUpload1.FileNameMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) hello friends i have solved this problem.. my code is below but i have new problem.. error codel line is FileUpload1.PostedFile.Save...

David A Wheeler's count of source code lines in Red Hat 7.1
From the yet another /. rehash dept. a Red Hat 7.1 Linux distribution is comprised of roughly: The languages used, sorted by the most lines of code, were C (71% - was 81%), C++ (15% - was 8%), shell (including ksh), Lisp, assembly, Perl, Fortran, Python, tcl, Java, yacc/bison, expect, lex/flex, awk, Objective-C, Ada, C shell, Pascal, and sed. Source: http://www.dwheeler.com/sloc/redhat71-v1/redhat71sloc.html Peter Prymmer --part1_10d.1b8bbed.286578a3_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Peter Pr...

ORDER BY and error message is incorrect syntax. i have two code lines for order by .. first code lines work but second code lines doesnt work.
hello friends my first code lines is below.. but it doesnt work and error message is incorrect syntax near the order.. ??? what should i do ? i have sqldatasource1 and gridview1 for my first code lines and choose datasource of gridview1 is sqldatasource1.. it works when i delete order.. it just works for  "Select * from product where name= '" & Request("TextBox1") & "' and name1= '" & Request("TextBox2") & "' and name2= '" & Request("TextBox3") & "'"quest("Text...

Counting Lines of Code
I have been asked to provide the number of lines of code in my PowerBuilder application. Is there a way or can somebody suggest a simple method of finding the answer? Thanks Paul paul_merlin@hotmail.com I have an example program on my website: http://www.topwizprogramming.com/ Click the Free Code button and then the link to linectr.zip PBL Peeper (see below) does this two ways, and you'll have to figure out what you really want. If you want the count of lines in scripts (ie. what you've typed), then go to the Scripts list and View / Show / Line Count (th...

Code Line Count
Is there a way in Visual Studio to count how many lines of code there are in an entire solution? Thanks, Lynnette I use this tool: http://www.wndtabs.com/plc/...

Counting lines of code
How can I report on the number of lines of code and comments in powerbuilder source files. http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode_linecount.html <kd> wrote in message news:4baba5e9.7898.1681692777@sybase.com... > How can I report on the number of lines of code and comments > in powerbuilder source files. ...

Counting Lines Of Code.
Our project has been given a additional task in providing the maintenance contractor the # of lines of code in our application. Is there a tool or product that could accomplish this very task. Our current project has 30.5 megs of data in our PBL's. We are using PB6.5 and PFC Thanks Have a look at http://www.ascensionlabs.com/pbcodeanalyzer.htm for their PowerBuilder Code Analyzer. Provides line counts by object/method/library, etc (and totals) and many other useful statistics. You can download an evaluation copy and purchase price is reasonable. -Mary David Lowley &l...

Code line count
How do you find the total count of the number of lines of code in your entire application. Thanks in advance, Ramesh You can use PBBROWSE from www.pbdr.com to get the lines of code, and it produces some other useful statistics as well. Otherwise you can write a short application which exports each object in your library list one at a time and count the lines yourself. - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com ...

Counting lines of code
Not that I would ever use such an ancient, discreditted metric, but anybody got a good way to count lines of code in say, an entire PB library? My utiltiy PBBrowse will perform this task and draw a pretty graph of the results along with the totals. You can download it from www.pbdr.com follow the software link then utilities. Ken Keith Sherwood wrote: > Not that I would ever use such an ancient, discreditted metric, but > anybody got a good way to count lines of code in say, an entire PB > library? ...

counting lines of code
Is there any option in C++ Builder that counts the lines of code in my project? I see under the Project menu, Information for MyProject, which gives the number of lines compiled. But, I'd like to count my lines, not the total lines, which includes VCL header files, etc. Thanks! Robert wrote: > Is there any option in C++ Builder that counts the lines of > code in my project? No, there is not. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) Bummer. That would be a nice feature. :) Thanks Remy! On 21/12/2012 18:55, Robert Hoover wrote: > Bummer. That would be a nice feature. :) > ...

How to count the Lines of Code?
Hi All, I would like to count the total number of lines of code written in Powerbuilder (*.pbl) files. I have a bunch of them, about 21. I am new to power builder and need to do this activity ASAP. Any suggestions or help in this regard will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Piyush Makkar I believe PB Code Analyzer from Ascension Labs does code line counting. http://www.ascensionlabs.com/pbcodeanalyzer.htm On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:27:46 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.source_control <Piyush> wrote: >Hi All, > > I wou...

Web resources about - Source code line counting in BDS2006 - embarcadero.cppbuilder.ide

Prime-counting function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
where li is the logarithmic integral function. The prime number theorem was first proved in 1896 by Jacques Hadamard and by Charles de la Vallée ...

Population without double counting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Population without double counting is an English translation of the phrase Population sans doubles comptes . In France , for the purposes of ...

Facebook Users Counting Down To Memorial Day
As the beginning of the holiday weekend comes closer, the frequency of Facebook posts concerning Memorial Day increases in pace.

Facebook app Bitstrips: More than 30M avatars and counting
You may have noticed your Facebook News Feed looking more animated lately. A popular Facebook app — Bitstrips — is taking the News Feed by storm, ...

10,000 Posts and Counting! « naked capitalism
This, dear readers, is Naked Capitalism’s 10,000th post. I wanted to thank our contributors over the years, particularly Ed Harrison (who was ...

Counting Crows (@CountingCrows) on Twitter

Bootstrap 2.1 and counting
A year ago we introduced the world to Twitter Bootstrap , a sleek and powerful open source project that helps you build awesome stuff on the ...

KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store on iTunes
Get KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Obamacare's big week: 6M and counting
About 2.4 million new Obamacare customers have been signed up on the federal insurance exchange.

IDG Contributor Network: Counting down to the holidays Unix-style
Counting down to the holidays Unix-style Counting down the days until Christmas or the beginning of Kwanzaa? Your Unix system can help with that. ...