Is there a way to disable the deployment stuff?

Having upgraded from XE3 to XE8, we now find our project files are full "deployment" cruft.  Since we only write Windows desktop applications, we will never use any of this stuff.  Is there any way to completely disable the "deployment" so that it doesn't appear in the project file?  At the very least, why doesn't it just include stuff for platforms that are actually enabled in the project?
If you need to know why I care, have you ever tried to merge two code branches after the IDE has randomly rearranged the order of half the content of the project file?  The less stuff in there the better!
Thanks for any help.
Robin
0
Robin
7/6/2015 9:01:56 PM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.ide 2180 articles. 1 followers. Follow

7 Replies
561 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

Robin wrote:

> Since we only write Windows desktop applications, we will never use
> any of this stuff.

That depends on whether you are doing any Windows 64-bit desktop development, 
in particular if you are developing on a 32bit PC, or using the Platform 
Assistent for debugging and such.

> Is there any way to completely disable the "deployment" so that
> it doesn't appear in the project file?

No.

> At the very least, why doesn't it just include stuff for platforms that are
> actually enabled in the project?

What is the actual problem you are having?

> If you need to know why I care, have you ever tried to merge two code
> branches after the IDE has randomly rearranged the order of half the
> content of the project file?  The less stuff in there the better!

Why are you trying to merge project files in the first place?

-- 
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Remy
7/6/2015 9:43:36 PM
> That depends on whether you are doing any Windows 64-bit desktop development, 
> in particular if you are developing on a 32bit PC
No, but our product is currently a 32-bit Windows desktop application.  We hope to go to 64-bit soon.
>or using the Platform Assistent for debugging and such.
No
> 
> Why are you trying to merge project files in the first place?
Merging of separate branches is standard software practice, assuming you are using any sort of version control system.  This obviously extends not only to the code but also to the project files, e.g. if I have added a new module in my "DEV" branch, and now wish to merge that change to my "Main" branch.  This ought to be easy because I have only added a couple of lines to my project file.  However, if the IDE has also randomly rearranged a bunch of other stuff in the project file, the merge becomes impossi
ble.  We now have to merge in two steps, one to do the code merge, the second to correct the now broken project file.  So if I now see more stuff in my project file that I don't even use, but that I fully expect the IDE to reorganise at some unknown point in the future, for me this is a problem.
Essentially I'm asking, why is there stuff in my project file to do with iOS, iPad, OSX, and Android, when I will never use those platforms?

Edited by: Robin Pellatt on Jul 7, 2015 12:10 AM
0
Robin
7/6/2015 10:10:55 PM
Robin Pellatt wrote:

> IDE has also randomly rearranged a bunch of other stuff in the
> project file, the merge becomes impossible.

This is very old well known problem introduced in BDS2006 I believe.

There is new QP report about Delphi project files:

Inconsistent sort order in dproj files causes havoc with version
control systems
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-11308?jql=

Vote for this (without too much hope of success: AFAIR old QC report on
the same theme was completely ignored for many years) ...

--
Alex
0
Alex
7/7/2015 4:33:52 AM
> Vote for this (without too much hope of success: AFAIR old QC report on
> the same theme was completely ignored for many years) ...
Voted.
0
Robin
7/7/2015 9:53:09 PM
Alex Belo wrote:

> Robin Pellatt wrote:
> 
> > IDE has also randomly rearranged a bunch of other stuff in the
> > project file, the merge becomes impossible.
> 
> This is very old well known problem introduced in BDS2006 I believe.

As workaround I can suggest to use some external utility for sorting
project (xml) files before commit:

XML sorting/formatting tool
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1424029/xml-sorting-formatting-tool

It should be safe to sort project file (if utility works correctly).

I've tried out xmlsorter mentioned on this page in CB2007 but for
unknown reason my project does not compile after that (I see strange
errors).

:-)

--
Alex
0
Alex
7/8/2015 11:55:10 AM
On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 04:55:10 -0700, Alex Belo <b.a.v@inbox.ru> wrote:

>Alex Belo wrote:
>
>> Robin Pellatt wrote:
>> 
>>> IDE has also randomly rearranged a bunch of other stuff in the
>>> project file, the merge becomes impossible.
>> 
>> This is very old well known problem introduced in BDS2006 I believe.

So it should have been fixed by now...

>As workaround I can suggest to use some external utility for sorting
>project (xml) files before commit:
>
>XML sorting/formatting tool
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1424029/xml-sorting-formatting-tool
>
>It should be safe to sort project file (if utility works correctly).
>
>I've tried out xmlsorter mentioned on this page in CB2007 but for
>unknown reason my project does not compile after that (I see strange
>errors).
>
What kind of errors do you see?
I have had to manually edit the project files several times in an
editor when the IDE (XE5) has messed up the settings.
Especially the version info seems to be very sensitive to the smallest
of modifications. You have to be careful *NEVER* to change anything
there unless you have selected the "All configurations" node. Any such
mistake gets the different configurations out of sync and you have to
hand edit the project file after closing the IDE. :(

Not only does the IDE shuffle the entries around but it also adds
stuff into previously non-existing nodes.
Makes using a version control system a nightmare on these files (we
still use CVS).


---
Bo Berglund
Sweden & Texas
Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.92/32.572
0
Bo
7/8/2015 1:02:13 PM
Bo Berglund wrote:

> What kind of errors do you see?

It was only small experiment so I didn't investigate the result
carefully. It was some strange errors in rtl h-files.

I'll try using other utilities and compare results. First and simplest
thought is bug in sorter but I'm not sure of course...

--
Alex
0
Alex
7/8/2015 1:50:47 PM
Reply: