Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007

Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE?
0
Girish

On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote:
> Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE?

The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than
AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE.
There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the
Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make
fell into two categories:

1) Places where I was using moving data from VCL properties to or from
explicit AnsiString, but I could easily change to String, i.e. convert
to Unicode.

2) Places where I had relied on the c_str() method to provide a "C"
string. If I really needed a "C" string, I would explicitly use
AnsiString. It's a good idea to minimize these instances.

Joe
0
Joe
6/20/2012 8:58:37 PM
On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote:
> Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE?

The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than
AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE.
There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the
Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make
fell into two categories:

1) Places where I was using moving data from VCL properties to or from
explicit AnsiString, but I could easily change to String, i.e. convert
to Unicode.

2) Places where I had relied on the c_str() method to provide a "C"
string. If I really needed a "C" string, I would explicitly use
AnsiString. It's a good idea to minimize these instances.

Joe
0
Joe
6/20/2012 8:58:55 PM
Joe is quite right about default string. It took me a long time to work out that "String" changes its meaning from "AnsiString" to "UnicodeString" Also I couldn't find the following tables in the XE2 help, so I don't agree that the EDN documentation has "good white papers". NB the second table needs editung, like he first.

NB2, My attempt to edit the tables into nice columns have failed, so I hope you understand them

George.
The following table shows the formatted output specifiers for the Unicode family of functions. The table shows how the format specifier is used by scanf and the Unicode family of input functions to input strings and characters.

Format specifier	scanf function
                                        	Unicode function
    %c           	narrow    	    wide
    %C          	wide    	narrow
    %hc    	                    narrow 	narrow
    %hC    	                    narrow   	 narrow
    %lc    	                    wide    	wide
    %lC    	                    wide    	wide
    %s    	                    narrow   	 wide
    %S    	                    wide    	narrow
    %hs    	                     narrow   	 narrow
    %hS    	                    narrow    	narrow
    %ls    	                    wide    	wide
    %lS    	                    wide    	wide

The following table shows the formatted output specifiers for the Unicode family of functions. The table shows how the format specifier is used by printf and the Unicode family of output functions to output strings and characters.

Format specifier	printf function	Unicode function
    %c	narrow 	wide
    %C  	wide	narrow
    %hc 	narrow	narrow
    %hC    	narrow	narrow
    %lc    	wide	wide
    %lC    	wide	wide
    %s    	narrow	wide
    %S    	wide	narrow
    %hs    	narrow   	narrow
     %hS    	narrow    	narrow
    %ls    	wide    	wide
    %lS    	wide    	wide

> {quote:title=Joe Pasquariello wrote:}{quote}
> On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote:
> > Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE?
>
> The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than
> AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE.
> There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the
> Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make
> fell into two categories:
>
> 1) Places where I was using moving data from VCL properties to or from
> explicit AnsiString, but I could easily change to String, i.e. convert
> to Unicode.
>
> 2) Places where I had relied on the c_str() method to provide a "C"
> string. If I really needed a "C" string, I would explicitly use
> AnsiString. It's a good idea to minimize these instances.
>
> Joe

Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:43 AM

Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:45 AM

Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:50 AM
0
george
7/2/2012 6:51:17 PM
george wrote:

> I couldn't find the following tables in the XE2 help, so I don't
> agree that the EDN documentation has "good white papers".

Joe said the EDN website, not the Help documentation, has good papers on
Unicode migration.  See http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/migration-upgrade-center.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> [...]
> >
> > The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than
> > AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE.
> > There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the
> > Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make
> > fell into two categories:
> >
> > 1) Places where I was using moving data from VCL properties to or from
> > explicit AnsiString, but I could easily change to String, i.e. convert
> > to Unicode.
> >
> > 2) Places where I had relied on the c_str() method to provide a "C"
> > string. If I really needed a "C" string, I would explicitly use
> > AnsiString. It's a good idea to minimize these instances.
> >
> > Joe
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:43 AM
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:45 AM
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:50 AM
7/2/2012 7:45:29 PM
A bit better perhaps.

> [...]

> > The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than
> > AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE.
> > There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the
> > Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make
> > fell into two categories:
> >
> > 1) Places where I was using moving data from VCL properties to or from
> > explicit AnsiString, but I could easily change to String, i.e. convert
> > to Unicode.
> >
> > 2) Places where I had relied on the c_str() method to provide a "C"
> > string. If I really needed a "C" string, I would explicitly use
> > AnsiString. It's a good idea to minimize these instances.
> >
> > Joe
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:43 AM
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:45 AM
>
> Edited by: george probyn on Jul 2, 2012 11:50 AM

problem of converting from C++ Builder 6 to C++ Builder 2007
Hi, A program which was developed by our partner was built fine with C++ Builder 6. Now I need to make some changes to it. We bought C++ Builder 2007 a few weeks ago. When I open the program with C++ Builder 2007, I was told that the project needs to be converted. I agreed. Then when I compile it, some errors happen: [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(435): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(3880): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(4658): E2272 Identifier expected ...... Anybody has any idea how to fix it? Thanks, Allen In article <14040@f...

Going from C++ Builder XE Achitect Trial to C++ Builder Professional XE
What are the correct steps that I need to perform to go from a trial of C++ Builder XE Architect Trial to a purchased copy of C++ Builder Professional XE? I want to make sure that no traces are left from the installation of the trial version. Thanks I phoned support and here is the reply: Run the 'Modify, Repair, Uninstall' link in the Embarcadero start menu. Then choose 'Upgrade' and follow instructions. ...

Upgrading Code from C++ Builder 4 to C++ Builder 2007
I am working on project written in C++ Builder 4, it uses TMS Component pack. Now the TMS Component pack has been upgraded so i do not find any compatible version of TMS Component to use with C++ Builder 4. I need to upgrade my code from C++ Builder 4 to C++ Builder 2007. I want to know whether code written in C++ Builder 4 is feasible with C++ Builder 2007. Thanks Arshdeep wrote: > I want to know whether code written in C++ Builder 4 is feasible > with C++ Builder 2007. Feisible, but do take into account that there have been RTL/VCL changes between BCB4 and CB2007, so y...

sgcWebSockets for C++ Builder 6
The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. [http://www.esegece.com/manual/sgcWebSockets.pdf] a) All Delphi/C++Builder Versions: Add the directory {$DIR}\source to the library path How can I run delphi code in a C++ Builder Project? Is it possible? > {quote:title=Eliseu Martins Gomes wrote:}{quote} > The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. Most Delphi components are usable in C++Builder...

BUG (or issue) with Indy, C++ Builder 2010 and C++ Builder XE [Edit]
To reproduce this issue you need a clean installation (from scratch, no additional components installed, no Indy update) of C++ Builder 2010 or XE. It uses Indy 10.5.5 (with 2010) or 10.5.7 (with XE). Note: although it uses Indy to reproduce the issue, the version of Indy and Indy itself is not the one that causes this problem but the linking of C++ binary probably. Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a simple text file with the following content. Save it as "file.txt" or any other name. It can be also full email message but the text below is enough. {code} Subject: =?windows-125...

C++ Builder 5 to Builder XE
I've C++ Builder 5 in my machine and my project's code is in Buidler 5. Builder 5 has become obsolete now. I want to upgrade to some latest version of C++ Builder. As of now C++Builder XE is available. Please let me know whether I can compile my code in Builder XE? What are compatibilty issues between Builder 5 and Builder XE? If they are not compatible then please let me know which cd/ dvd of C++ Builder I should buy? <Jyotsna Manale> wrote in message news:416111@forums.embarcadero.com... > I want to upgrade to some latest version of C++ Builder. > As of now C++Build...

C++Builder 2010 and C++Builder XE2 in the same machine
Is it possible to install C++Builder 2010 and C++Builder XE2 in the same machine? Can they coexist? Hi Richard Richard Weber wrote: > Is it possible to install C++Builder 2010 and C++Builder XE2 in the same > machine? Can they coexist? I don't know about those two, but it is normally not a problem to have different version of C++ Builder on the same machine. It is how ever recommended that they be installed in the order they were released. Best regards Asger-P Richard Weber <> wrote: >Is it possible to install C++Builder 2010 and >C++Builde...

C++Builder 2006 stopped working after C++Builder 2009
Is there a way to key both IDEs (2006 & 2009) on the same computer while I complete software migration? Both compilers are installed on a Windows Vista Proffesional. Thanks, Roberto Hello, Roberto Meneghini wrote: > Is there a way to key both IDEs (2006 & 2009) on the same computer > while I complete software migration? yes, it works fine for me. What particular problem are you having? -- Moritz "Hey, it compiles! Ship it!" As soon as I launch the compiler, the following error message is displayed: "Exception EPackageRegistrationEx...

C++Builder 2010: same old bugs.... goodbye, C++Builder.
I've tried the demo version, built my OCX, set the constrained size, and added some event handler. It works exactly like the old Borland CBuilder 6: the grab handles does not follow the constrained size, the OnCloseQuery and OnDestroy events are not fired, there's is not an OnAmbientChange event available. Building OCX is an important feature for us, as our customer needs them... so, if i were the one that take the final decision, i'll migrate to MS developement tools.... i'm not that one, but i'll strongly push in that direction. It's a shame, anyway. If yo...

C++Builder XE 6
Hello everybody, I'm experiencing an interesting issue: after the installation of the supposed to be wonderful C++Builder XE6, all my application developed with the rockin' old C++Builder6 cannot run anymore, all of them giving the same runtime error (0xc00000005) and dying. Can anyone give me some useful suggestion? Many thanks. EC Emanuele Campra wrote: > Hello everybody, I'm experiencing an interesting issue: after the > installation of the supposed to be wonderful C++Builder XE6, all my > application developed with the rockin' old C++Builder6 cannot...

Converting from Borland C++ Builder 6 to XE5
I tested several applications developped under Borland C++ Builder 6 and all "normal" projects using forms and units compiled nicely under XE5 with a small problem that some labels or buttons seem to look slightly different. However, the few console applications I had did not compile at all. I got many "unresolved external ...." in connection with AnsiStrings. I used AnsiStrings also in the projects mentioned first, so I am sure it is a simple include-statement which I am missing in the console applicatio ns and which is different to BCB6. Any hint? Peter wrote: > ...

Convert Delphi 7 to C++ Builder 6
Hi, Any can help me to convert a Delphi 7 project to C++ Builder 6 project ? Thanks Alain ...

Converting a BCB6 project to C++Builder 2007
Hello! I have a problem with an old BCB6 project. I am trying to convert it to C++Builder 2007. I'm getting a "[ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresolved external...." So far I've done two things. 1st → I've directly convert/migrate all of my BCB6 project to C++Builder 2007. 2nd → I've created a new (fresh) project and add my existing sourcefiles to it. (little time consuming... btw) Both action resulted in the same output, the IDE is giving me a "[ILINK32 Error] Error: Unresolved external...." Any Idea what going on here? are there any twee that I ...

Using Xercesc C++ XML parser library with C++ builder 6
hi i am working on a project built in c++ builder 4 that uses Xercesc C++ XML parser v1.5.1, now i am trying to upgrade that to c++ builder 6. I have few queries related to it. 1. whether we can use the v1.5.1 for the c++ builder 6 2. how to build xercesc library 3. whether using the current version of xercesc library will be cause any issues since the project uses v1.5.1 Thanks. ...

Web resources about - Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007 - embarcadero.cppbuilder.ide

$100 device converts all your film to digital photos
... still on film negatives. Today, we've got the perfect Amazon Cyber Week deal for you: A Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter ...

"ISIS 'ranks' the women, considering foreign women and converts to be especially 'valuable.' "
"According to French journalist Anna Erelle’s recent exposé , ISIS foreign fighters prefer foreign women and converts because the jihadists find ...