variable variables?

Hello!
How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
I want to do it for example:

I have:
Label1->Caption = "1";
Label2->Caption = "2";
Label3->Caption = "3";
Label4->Caption = "4";

And I want to do something like that:

for (i=1; i<5; i++)
{
    Label+i->Caption = i;
}

Any idea? Can I do something like that?

Thanks and regards

Alexandre
0
Alexandre
8/16/2008 1:43:24 PM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.cpp 2803 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Create a vector of pointers to the various objects.
In your case below, construct a vector (called Labels) of pointers to TLable
long enough to hold pointers to all your labels.
Then, store the pointers to the labels in the vector.
Labels[0] = &Label1;
etc.
Your loop will now become:
for (i=1; i<5; i++)
{
   Labels[i-1]->Caption = i;
}

You might want to allocate one extra so that you can address by:
Labels[1] = &Label1;
and
Labels[i]->Caption = i;

John

"Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva" <alexandre@belatriz.com.br> wrote in
message news:3650@forums.codegear.com...
> Hello!
> How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
> I want to do it for example:
>
> I have:
> Label1->Caption = "1";
> Label2->Caption = "2";
> Label3->Caption = "3";
> Label4->Caption = "4";
>
> And I want to do something like that:
>
> for (i=1; i<5; i++)
> {
>    Label+i->Caption = i;
> }
>
> Any idea? Can I do something like that?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Alexandre
0
John
8/16/2008 2:08:15 PM
Hi John, thank you for your answer.
How to create this vector? is this the way?
 TLabel *Labels;
 Labels = new TLabel[3];

I'm getting the error "[BCC32 Error]
UnitCadastroPedidoLancarCatalogo.cpp(126): E2248 Cannot find default
constructor to initialize array element of type 'TLabel'"

Thank you.

"John Cibulskis" <jcibulskis@sbcglobal.net> escreveu na mensagem
Create a vector of pointers to the various objects.
In your case below, construct a vector (called Labels) of pointers to TLable
long enough to hold pointers to all your labels.
Then, store the pointers to the labels in the vector.
Labels[0] = &Label1;
etc.
Your loop will now become:
for (i=1; i<5; i++)
{
   Labels[i-1]->Caption = i;
}

You might want to allocate one extra so that you can address by:
Labels[1] = &Label1;
and
Labels[i]->Caption = i;

John

"Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva" <alexandre@belatriz.com.br> wrote in
message news:3650@forums.codegear.com...
> Hello!
> How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
> I want to do it for example:
>
> I have:
> Label1->Caption = "1";
> Label2->Caption = "2";
> Label3->Caption = "3";
> Label4->Caption = "4";
>
> And I want to do something like that:
>
> for (i=1; i<5; i++)
> {
>    Label+i->Caption = i;
> }
>
> Any idea? Can I do something like that?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Alexandre
0
Alexandre
8/16/2008 9:07:58 PM
Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva wrote:
> Hi John, thank you for your answer.
> How to create this vector? is this the way?
>  TLabel *Labels;
>  Labels = new TLabel[3];

You are now creating an array of pointers, you are creating just a
regular array of TLabels. Your codes attemps to create five new
instances of class TLabel. However, since TLabel is a class, you need to
call a constructor. Since you did not provide parentheses, (void) is
assumed (defautl constructor), but TLabel does not have such a default
constructor.

Here is how to create an array of pointers to TLabels, containing 5
elements:

	TLabel *Labels[5];

This array does not contain any data or space for data. It contains five
spaces, each the size of a pointer.

If you would rather make a dynamic array to pointers (i.e. the number of
labels is not known at compile time)

	TLabel **Labels;
	Labels = new TLabel*[5];

The first line declares what is know as a 2-dimension array, or in our
case, a 1-dimension array of pointers. The second line allocate memory
for the array (5 elements... the 5 could be a variable). We do not
allocate the second dimension, since we will be using it as pointers to
the labels.

Whichever method you choose, you can than do the following:

	Labels[0] = Label1;
	Labels[1] = Label2;
	Labels[2] = Label3;
	Labels[3] = Label4;
	Labels[4] = Label5;

I have copied the address of each of my 5 labels (created using the
designer). I can than do:

	for(int i = 0; i < 5; i++)
	{
		Labels[i]->Caption = (AnsiString)"This is label "
		+ (i+1);
	}

> I'm getting the error "[BCC32 Error]
> UnitCadastroPedidoLancarCatalogo.cpp(126): E2248 Cannot find default
> constructor to initialize array element of type 'TLabel'"
>
> Thank you.

BTW I found your original question quite interesting (read funny... no
offense intended). Although C is the first programming language I've
learned (not considering my attempts at Basic as a kid) but then after I
have learned PHP and spent a lot of time on it, I wanted to do the same
in C++... Label+i->Caption = someCaption+i... just like the PHP way of
doing things.

However you have to remember something.

PHP (or whatever other script language you got your idea from) have some
way to represent data that is very free. C++, once compiled, ends up as
a machine language (which is pretty incomprehensible to most of us,
which is why we use a programming language in the first place). C++
gives us variables written in human language, but once compiled those
variables are no more. Your "int a" will be no more. Variable 'a' will
not be in the program as a textual form, it will be just a memory space
which the compiler will allocate for you. This is why "int a+i" cannot
create a new name for the variable as it would in PHP.
0
Tom
8/16/2008 11:50:08 PM
Tom Duhamel wrote:

>If you would rather make a dynamic array to pointers (i.e. the number of
>labels is not known at compile time)
>
>	TLabel **Labels;
>	Labels = new TLabel*[5];

For the dynamic version, perhaps easier
to use what John Cibulskis suggested:

	vector<TLabel*> Labels(5);
0
Bob
8/17/2008 3:23:50 PM
Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva wrote:
> Hello!
> How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
> I want to do it for example:
>
> I have:
> Label1->Caption = "1";
> Label2->Caption = "2";
> Label3->Caption = "3";
> Label4->Caption = "4";
>
> And I want to do something like that:
>
> for (i=1; i<5; i++)
> {
>     Label+i->Caption = i;
> }
>
> Any idea? Can I do something like that?

  In this particular case, this

    Label+i->Caption = static_cast<char>('0'+i);

  should work. If this was just an example and in
  reality you need anything else than single-digit
  numbers or if you're on a machine using an insane
  encoding, follow the other advice.

> Thanks and regards
>
> Alexandre

  HTH,

  Schobi
0
Hendrik
8/18/2008 12:14:36 PM
Hendrik Schober <Spamtrap@gmx.de> wrote:

>  In this particular case, this
>
>    Label+i->Caption = static_cast<char>('0'+i);

Boggle!

(You're indirecting off the loop index?)

Alan Bellingham
--
Team Browns
ACCU Conference 2009: Wed 22 - Sat 25 April 2009, Oxford
Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva wrote:

> Hello!
> How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
> I want to do it for example:
>
> I have:
> Label1->Caption = "1";
> Label2->Caption = "2";
> Label3->Caption = "3";
> Label4->Caption = "4";
>
> And I want to do something like that:
>
> for (i=1; i<5; i++)
> {
>     Label+i->Caption = i;
> }
>
> Any idea? Can I do something like that?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Alexandre

Below is a piece of code from a menu which can have upto 20 buttons. In
this case the buttons are A - (upto) T, but all buttons may exist for
the purpose
To create a dynamic variable, you could add the line
SBp[buttonCount]->Name = "Button"+IntToStr(buttonCount);

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
void __fastcall TFrmMain::CreateButtons()
{
  // Read the ini file
  AnsiString FileName = ChangeFileExt(ParamStr(0), ".ini");
  TIniFile* Ini = new TIniFile(FileName);
  CommPort->DeviceName=Ini->ReadString("Serial", "ComPort", "COM1");
  // Buttons can be from A to T, so create the button letters
  char ch[2];
  ch[1] = 0;
  buttonCount = 0;
  //  Create the buttons based on the ini file. We may not have 20
  for(int i = 0;  i < MAX_BUTTON_COUNT; ++i)
  {
    ch[0] = i+'A';
    AnsiString AChar = ch;
    if(Ini->ReadString("SwitchNames", AChar, "").Length())
    {
      SBp[buttonCount] = new TcxButton(FrmMain);
      SBp[buttonCount]->Parent = FrmMain;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Font->Name = "Terminal";
      SBp[buttonCount]->Font->Size = 10;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Left = BUTTON_LEFT;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Top = BUTTON_TOP;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Caption = AChar;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Tag = i+'A';
      SBp[buttonCount]->OnClick = SpeedButtonClick;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Hint = "Press "+AChar+" or click this button to
turn on the port";
      SBp[buttonCount]->TabStop = false;
      SBp[buttonCount]->Caption = AnsiString("&")+AChar + " -
"+Ini->ReadString("SwitchNames", AChar, "");
      SBp[buttonCount]->Margin = 5;
      buttonCount++;
    }
  }
  delete Ini;

  // Put the captions on the buttons
  int length = 0;
  for(int i = 0; i < buttonCount; ++i)
  {
    if(length < SBp[i]->Caption.Length())
      length = SBp[i]->Caption.Length();
  }
  for(int i = 0; i < buttonCount; ++i)
    SBp[i]->Width = 18+length *8;

  ArrangeButtons();
}

--
-Michael Gillen
Hollister, CA
Alan Bellingham wrote:
> Hendrik Schober <Spamtrap@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>  In this particular case, this
>>
>>    Label+i->Caption = static_cast<char>('0'+i);
>
> Boggle!
>
> (You're indirecting off the loop index?)

  Dang! I didn't pay any attention to that VCL stuff.
  I suppose that 'Caption' needs an 'AnsiString' or
  whatever string type this is, tight?
  Sorry. Brain fart.

> Alan Bellingham

  Schobi
0
Hendrik
8/18/2008 2:38:23 PM
> Below is a piece of code from a menu which can have upto 20 buttons. In
> this case the buttons are A - (upto) T, but all buttons may exist for
> the purpose
> --
> -Michael Gillen
> Hollister, CA
> UTC/GMT -8

Very similar to some code that I wrote.
You know what they say about great minds !

Here is mine (which is in an object):
void TJMCStampImage::CreateButtons()
{
int HorOffset,VerOffset;
int ButLeft,ButTop;
HorOffset = 0;
VerOffset = 0;
if(ButtonPosition == JMC_STI_BUT_BOTTOM)
  {
  if(CenterButtons)
    {
 int ButtonsWidth;
 int LeftOver;
 ButtonsWidth = (FNmbButtons - 1)*JMC_STI_BUT_HOR_OFF + JMC_STI_BUT_WIDTH;
 LeftOver = PWidth - ButtonsWidth;
 ButLeft = PLeft + LeftOver/2;
 }
  else
 ButLeft = PLeft;
  HorOffset = JMC_STI_BUT_HOR_OFF;
  ButTop  = PTop + ScrollBox->Height + JMC_STI_BUT_VER_DELTA;
  }
if(ButtonPosition == JMC_STI_BUT_LEFT)
  {
  if(CenterButtons)
    {
 int ButtonsHeight;
 int LeftOver;
 ButtonsHeight = (FNmbButtons - 1)*JMC_STI_BUT_VER_OFF + JMC_STI_BUT_HEIGHT;
 LeftOver = PHeight - ButtonsHeight;
 ButTop  = PTop + LeftOver/2;;
 }
  else
 ButTop  = PTop;
  VerOffset = JMC_STI_BUT_VER_OFF;
  ButLeft = PLeft;
  }
for(int i=0;i<FNmbButtons;i++)
   {
   Buttons[i] = new TButton(Parent);
   Buttons[i]->Parent = Parent;
   Buttons[i]->Left = ButLeft;
   Buttons[i]->Top  = ButTop;
   Buttons[i]->Height = JMC_STI_BUT_HEIGHT;
   Buttons[i]->Width = JMC_STI_BUT_WIDTH;
   ButLeft += HorOffset;
   ButTop  += VerOffset;
   FButtonType[i] = JMC_STI_BUT_BLANK;   //Default button type
   Buttons[i]->Visible = false;                 //is blank and non-visible
   Buttons[i]->Tag = i;
   }
}

John
0
John
8/18/2008 2:45:04 PM
Hendrik Schober <Spamtrap@gmx.de> wrote:

>  Dang! I didn't pay any attention to that VCL stuff.

It was the VCL stuff (how to actually get Label1, then Label2, etc. in a
loop) that the user appeared to be asking about.

Alan Bellingham
--
Team Browns
ACCU Conference 2009: Wed 22 - Sat 25 April 2009, Oxford
0
Alan
8/18/2008 2:52:08 PM
Alan Bellingham wrote:
> Hendrik Schober <Spamtrap@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>  Dang! I didn't pay any attention to that VCL stuff.
>
> It was the VCL stuff (how to actually get Label1, then Label2, etc. in a
> loop) that the user appeared to be asking about.

  "How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?"

  Not having used VCL for about a decade I got into the habit
  to not to see references to VCL in postings that deal with
  non-VCL stuff, too. Of course, that doesn't excuse that I
  didn't even have a look at what's left of the equal sign.
  Mea culpa. (I often post while waiting for the compiler, and
  sometimes I don't pay enough attention...)

> Alan Bellingham

  Schobi
0
Hendrik
8/18/2008 3:51:30 PM
How about just:

Labels[i]->Caption = IntToStr(i);

John

> Alan Bellingham wrote:
>> Hendrik Schober <Spamtrap@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>>  In this particular case, this
>>>
>>>    Label+i->Caption = static_cast<char>('0'+i);

0
John
8/18/2008 5:46:52 PM
Is this always going to be for visual controls, and will you want to do it for all controls of a certain type on a certain parent (eg, on the form, or on a panel, etc)?

If so, here's a different approach: you could iterate through the Controls (I think?  Haven't got the help in front of me) property, something along the lines of:

int iLabelsSeen = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < Form1.ControlCount; ++i) {
  TLabel* pLabel = dynamic_cast<TLabel*>(Form1.Controls[i]);
  if (pLabel != NULL) {
    pLabel->Caption := IntToStr(++iLabelsSeen);
  }
}

Untested code, and I'm rather tired today - blame all bugs on that :)  The Controls property of a TWinControl holds all controls with that TWinControl as their parent.

Cheers,

David

> {quote:title=Alexandre Paulino Sierra da Silva wrote:}{quote}
> Hello!
> How to make a variable receive an increment in the name?
> I want to do it for example:
>
> I have:
> Label1->Caption = "1";
> Label2->Caption = "2";
> Label3->Caption = "3";
> Label4->Caption = "4";
>
> And I want to do something like that:
>
> for (i=1; i<5; i++)
> {
>     Label+i->Caption = i;
> }
>
> Any idea? Can I do something like that?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Alexandre
0
David
8/21/2008 7:33:01 AM
Hi Alexandre,

   I do this (similar to David M., above?)

void TEditForm::InitializeControlPanelForm( void)
{
    //	initialize control panel...

    int				count;

    int				height;
    int				left;
    int				top;
    int				width;

    const int           border_size     =   2;
    const int           button_size     =   108;

    left			=	border_size;
    top			=	border_size;

    height		=	24;

    width		=	button_size;

    count		=	1;

    ControlForm->Top	=	EditForm->Top;

    for( int index = 0, cindex = 1; control_buttons_text[index].Length() != 0; ++index)
    {
   	TButton *button	  	=	AddControlPanelButton( control_buttons_text[index]);

    	button->Height	  	=	height;
    	button->Left	  	=	left;
    	button->Top	  	=	top;
    	button->Width		=	width;

    	button->Font->Name	=	"Arial";
    	button->Font->Size	=       7;

         button->Tag		=	count;

         left			=	left + width;

        	if(cindex == 4)
        	{
        		top	=	top + height;

        		left	=	border_size;

            	cindex	=	0;
        }

        cindex++;

        count++;
    }

    ControlForm->CloseButton->Top   =   top + 30;

    ControlForm->Label1->Top	   =	top + 36;

    ControlForm->Height		   =	top + 96;

    ControlForm->Width		   =	((width * 4) + 8);

    ControlForm->Left		   =	Screen->Width - ControlForm->Width;
}

TButton *TEditForm::AddControlPanelButton( const AnsiString &name)
{
    //		add control panel button...

    TButton	*button		=	new		TButton	(this);

    button->Parent		=	ControlForm;

    button->Caption		=	name;

    //  NOTE (1) Calls routine listed bellow...

    button->OnClick		=	ControlForm->Button1Click;

    return button;
}

void __fastcall TControlForm::Button1Click(TObject *Sender)
{
   TButton 	*button 	=	dynamic_cast <TButton *>(Sender);

   AnsiString	tag((int)button->Tag);

   selected_button 		= 	button;

   switch(button->Tag)
   {
   	case	1:

		//	Do stuff...

        		break;

    	case	2:

		//	ad nauseare...

        		break;

    	case	3:

		//	ad infinitas...

        		break;

     }
}

   Bruce
0
Bruce

variable of variables
Say I have 2 scenarios and I want to use a different variable depending on which scenario applies without coding this logic. So I could have a database table t_variables which has: Scenario: Variable: --------- -------- 1 v_name 2 v_company In my Powerbuilder code I'd have values in v_name & v_company. What I'd like to be able to do is to select which variable to use from the table and assign that to something, e.g. select variable into v_variable from t_variables where scenario = 1 so at this point v_variable would be 'v_name'...

variable not a variable
Error:Must declare the variable '@cartDateTime'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Must declare the variable '@cartDateTime'. Dim connStr As SqlConnection            Dim cmdInsert As SqlCommand            Dim strInsert As String      &n...

Variable Variables
Hi, Maybe the solution is very simple, but how do I create variable variables in vb.net? I want to use the value of a variable as a part of the name of another variable. A very simple example below: code: Dim a As String a = "1" Label a.Text = "hi" page: <asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server">Label</asp:Label> In need this to change a range of values by using just one loop. I can´t do that without creating a variable variable name. Hi, check out this little demo application I created for you: ...

Variable within a variable?
I have a lot of text boxes that I need to get into an array.  Say they are called txt1 - txt80.  Is it possible to use an index variable to go through each text box?  Something like this txt"index" <---obviously not correct, but is there something out there like this?Thank you for any help You can iterate through your page controls and put them into the array if they are of type TextBox.. foreach(Control wc in Page.Form.Controls) { if (wc.GetType().Name == "TextBox") { //add the control to the array } }Kumar Reddi Works well, thanks for your help!...

variable variable-names
Hi all, I'm trying to write a script that will pull out values for form data radio buttons for muliple answers. This is what a standard line looks like: <INPUT TYPE="radio" NAME="answer1" VALUE="blah">Blah For each question I've tried to make up a separate set of arrays containing the button values: open (QUES, "<questions.poll"); foreach $line (<QUES>) { chomp $line; if ($line =~ m|[^"]*NAME="answer(\d)"\s*VALUE="([^"]*)"|) { $num = $1; $value_label = $2; ...

my $variable verse $variable
Greetings, Being new to perl can someone explain why my is in form of variables and what is the purpose? Thanks TMC wrote: > Greetings, > Being new to perl can someone explain why my is in form of variables > and what is the purpose? 'my' is used to declare a variable and limit its scope. If you `use strict;` (and you should) you must declare all unqualified variables. #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $a = 'a'; { my $a = 'b'; print "$a\n"; } print "$a\n"; __END__ See: perldoc -f m...

centralized variable variables
Hi, Hi, I want to set pathnames in a centralised module (called with use or require). Is it possible to send an variable (through the env or as an argument, or ....) so I can use the variable $dir from the module test.pl to set the variable $vardir in param.pl. ?? Any help greatly appreciated. Bernard -----------cat test.pl #!/usr/bin/perl #use strict; my $dir = $ARGV[0]; require "param.pl"; print("path1 $path1\n"); print("path2 $path2\n"); # ---------cat param.pl #!/usr/bin/perl my $basepath = "/var/tmp"; my $vardir =...

Variable variable names
------_=_NextPart_001_01CB7729.624A48CF Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, In the below code I am desperately trying to accomplish the valid use of = variable variable names but still fail. I have already read many sites, = tutorials, mailing list posts, all saying that this is best accomplished = by using a hash. Please would you tell me if I understood that correctly = and, even more important, if I interpreted and tried to realize it = correctly? And if someone could tell me why the script gives me error...

Assigning a Variable with other Variables.
I have a real quick noob question. I have the following variables. First_Name = Server.HtmlEncode(txtFirstName.Text) Last_Name = Server.HTMLEncode(txtLastName.Text) I want to assign these two variables to another along with some other information so it looks like tte/john.doe I have this, but I am obvisouly doing it wrong. Thanks for any help. UserID = "tte/"First_Name"."Last_Name Let me guess: you came from PHP. Try UserID = string.Format("tte/{0}.{1}", First_Name, Last_Name) or UserID = "tte/" &am...

been a while
I haven't coded in perl for far too long... that aside.. How do I define variable variable names ? I have an array that contains the header cells of some long columns, from which i want to create new arrays which are called by the names in the array. e.g. @header = (Name, Address, Date, Expiry) And create arrays @name, @address...etc Header contents, of course, change order and content. Hope you can help Michael Carmody MDU, Public Health Lab Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology The University of Melbourne, Parkville On Thursday, May 23, 2002, at 05:39 , ...

Global variables / special variables / variable identifier with just one character
Expected error message: "Global symbol "$b" requires explicit package name". However, I get result: "test". I've checked the special variables and it looks like $b is one of these. use warnings; use strict; zzz ($b); print "$b\n"; sub zzz{ $_[0] = "test"; } Does it mean - that in general - we should not use one character variables in Perl? thanks adam ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4ADBA.05A29580 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable "Adam" &l...

Create variable, set variable, delete record, drop variable during replication
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C56C1A.126DC360 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Not sure if this is anything that we can control by changing a setting, = but seems to add extra message traffic during our replication process ( = dbremote ). We have Verify_all_columns set to ON=20 ASA version 9.0.1.1964 I. 05/05 10:52:38. DELETE FROM DBA.SmartPad WHERE SmartPadNo=3D1180877975 I. 05/05 10:52:38. CREATE VARIABLE n12 LONG VARCHAR I. 05/05 10:52:38. SET n12 =3D '...

Create Variable + Variable Scope
How to Create varianle using ASA sybase central 9.0.2 ? As per docs CREATE VARIABLE is only per connection and the scope is completed when connection ends. Does ASA have facility to create custom developer variables ? or this has to be stored in a table and then queried each time. handheldmaster wrote: > Does ASA have facility to create custom developer variables ? or this has to > be stored in a table and then queried each time. There is no create variables via Sybase Central such that other connections will have them. You need to do it within each connection. ...

How to seperate a variable from the cached variable?

Web resources about - variable variables? - embarcadero.cppbuilder.cpp

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...