Converting from Borland C++ Builder 6 to XE5

I tested several applications developped under Borland C++ Builder 6 and all "normal" projects using forms and units compiled nicely under XE5 with a small problem that some labels or buttons seem to look slightly different. However, the few console applications I had did not compile at all. I got many "unresolved external ...." in connection with AnsiStrings. I used AnsiStrings also in the projects mentioned first, so I am sure it is a simple include-statement which I am missing in the console applicatio
ns and which is different to BCB6. Any hint?
0
Peter
11/26/2013 4:42:45 PM
embarcadero.cppbuilder.cpp 2803 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Peter wrote:

> I tested several applications developped under Borland C++ Builder 6
> and all "normal" projects using forms and units compiled nicely under
> XE5 with a small problem that some labels or buttons seem to look
> slightly different.

Different fonts, or different characters?

> However, the few console applications I had did not compile at all.
> I got many "unresolved external ...." in connection with AnsiStrings.

What are the actual error messages?

> I used AnsiStrings also in the projects mentioned first, so I am sure
> it is a simple include-statement which I am missing in the console
> applications and which is different to BCB6.

Linker errors are not caused by missing include statements.  They are caused
by missing library references in the project itself.  Your projects are likely
not linking to the RTL/VCL packages.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Different fonts, or different characters?
It seems that labels loose some of their properties, like color or the fact that they used to have a frame around them. I am sure I can fix that.

> What are the actual error messages? About 20 messages like this:
[ilink32 Error] Error: Nicht auflösbares externes 'System::__linkproc__ __fastcall LStrCat(System::AnsiStringT<0>&, const System::AnsiStringT<0>)' referenziert von C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMBARCADERO\RAD STUDIO\12.0\LIB\WIN32\RELEASE\VCLE.LIB|System_t_win32
Not resolvable external system
Maybe just a small change in the settings, but where? Many thanks, Peter
0
Peter
11/27/2013 8:12:36 PM
sorry, posted twice by accident

Edited by: Peter Sutter on Nov 27, 2013 9:14 PM
0
Peter
11/27/2013 8:15:18 PM
Peter wrote:

>> Different fonts, or different characters?
>>
> It seems that labels loose some of their properties, like color or the
> fact that they used to have a frame around them. I am sure I can fix
> that.

That did not really answer my question.  Are the Labels losing actual character
data, or is the *display* of the Label data simply different?  Did you double-check
all of the Font properties?  Did you check the ParentColor and ParentFont
properties?

> [ilink32 Error] Error: Nicht auflösbares externes
> 'System::__linkproc__ __fastcall LStrCat(System::AnsiStringT<0>&,
> const System::AnsiStringT<0>)' referenziert von C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\EMBARCADERO\RAD
> STUDIO\12.0\LIB\WIN32\RELEASE\VCLE.LIB|System_t_win32

Your project is likely not linking to the vcle library.  Did you open your
BCB6 project into the XE5 IDE and let it upgrade the project, or did you
create a new VCL project fresh and then add your existing source files to
it?  If you upgraded an existing project, don't.  It rarely ever works correctly.
 Always create a new project instead.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> That did not really answer my question.  Are the Labels losing actual character
> data, or is the *display* of the Label data simply different?  Did you double-check
> all of the Font properties?  Did you check the ParentColor and ParentFont
> properties?
I tested many projects in the meantime and it seems that all projects where I draw the labels from the components work fine whereas the projects where I create the labels from the program with *new* have probably different property defaults. I think when I go through these programs I will have to set the properties which previously had some default. Should be no problem.

> Your project is likely not linking to the vcle library.  Did you open your
> BCB6 project into the XE5 IDE and let it upgrade the project, or did you
> create a new VCL project fresh and then add your existing source files to
> it?  If you upgraded an existing project, don't.  It rarely ever works correctly.
>  Always create a new project instead.

Totally true, I created a new console project, copied the code, and it works. Overall I have to say that converting around 20 projects from an over ten year old Borland BCB6 to XE5 was really easy, and your help was of course making it even easier. Many thanks!

Edited by: Peter Sutter on Nov 28, 2013 10:10 PM
0
Peter

Convert to C++ Builder XE from C++ Builder 6 and 2007
Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? On 6/20/2012 8:20 AM, Girish Duddu wrote: > Any information regarding the roadblocks of converting the code build in C++ Builder 6,2007 to C++ Builder XE? The big change is the default string in XE is UnicodeString rather than AnsiString. All VCL String properites (Text, etc.) are Unicode in XE. There are good white papers regarding making this transition on the Embarcadero EDN site. I found that most of the changes I had to make fell into two categories: 1) Places...

problem of converting from C++ Builder 6 to C++ Builder 2007
Hi, A program which was developed by our partner was built fine with C++ Builder 6. Now I need to make some changes to it. We bought C++ Builder 2007 a few weeks ago. When I open the program with C++ Builder 2007, I was told that the project needs to be converted. I agreed. Then when I compile it, some errors happen: [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(435): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(3880): E2272 Identifier expected [BCC32 Error] ComCtrls.hpp(4658): E2272 Identifier expected ...... Anybody has any idea how to fix it? Thanks, Allen In article <14040@f...

Borland C Builder 6 updates
Does anyone know where I can get the borland updates anymore? I need the updates for builder 6 (update 1 and 2 if possible) as they have a fix for a variant issue that is not in update 4; Cheers Hi, are you sure you need them? The documentation to upd4 tells me it includes 1,2 and 3, so I would be worried if I dropped some files I would need. What I do have are some other fixes, maybe you can find them by file name upd1: BCB6P01.ZIP (39kB) ... C++Builder 6 Special Help Update upd2: cb6errs_pro.zip (560kB) ... another Help Update kind regards Ingo In article <1462...

After migration from C++ XE5 SP1 to C++ XE5 SP2 : unable to convert ...
Bonjour, I'm working with Windows 7 SP1. This code works with C++ XE5 SP1 and failed with C++ XE5 SP2 : #include <windows.h> #include <vcl.h> UnicodeString RepertoireBinaire = GetCurrentDir(); UnicodeString RepertoireConfig = RepertoireBinaire + "\\Config"; UnicodeString RepertoireLog = RepertoireBinaire + "\\Log"; if (!DirectoryExists(RepertoireConfig)) CreateDirectory(RepertoireBinaire.c_str(), 0); .... The error is : Cannot convert wchar_t* to 'const char*' Could yo...

sgcWebSockets for C++ Builder 6
The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. [http://www.esegece.com/manual/sgcWebSockets.pdf] a) All Delphi/C++Builder Versions: Add the directory {$DIR}\source to the library path How can I run delphi code in a C++ Builder Project? Is it possible? > {quote:title=Eliseu Martins Gomes wrote:}{quote} > The library documentation and the install readme says that the project, who was build for Delphi, works as well for C++ Builder. Most Delphi components are usable in C++Builder...

Convert Delphi 7 to C++ Builder 6
Hi, Any can help me to convert a Delphi 7 project to C++ Builder 6 project ? Thanks Alain ...

Making C++ Builder 6 and XE5 co-exist ?
Hello, here's my problem: I had working projects under C++ Builder 6, and tried C++ Builder XE5 (trial version). My old projects stopped compiling under Builder 6, because XE5 had changed important header files used by my projects. It even introduced new header files that changed type definitions, making my projects uncompilable (under 6). I had to uninstall everything (including builder 6), and start over again to get my projects to compile properly. Now, is there a way to install XE5 without changing anything in version 6 ? (allowing me the possibility to port my projects to...

Borland C++ Builder 6, IMAPI2 and DDiscFormat2DataEvents problems
Hi all, I'm trying to code a simple CD burner application using IMAPI2 with Borland C++ Builder 6. I added imapi2.h, imapi2error.h, imapi2.idl, imapi2fs.h, imapi2fserror.h and imapi2fs.idl. The application seems to work fine, but now I would like to add the events sink to receive informations about the progress. So I added a derived class from TEventDispatcher as shown on one example in EDN and there born the problem. The row of code is: class TEventSinkHandler : public TEventDispatcher<TEventSinkHandler,&IID_DDiscFormat2DataEvents> When I compile the program all...

Anyone want old Turbo Pascal, Turbo C/C++, Borland C++, C++Builder user manuals (paperback)?
Hi, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months and I've got a bunch of old Turbo/Borland Pascal, Turbo/Borland C/C++, and C++Builder user manuals that I no longer have any use for. I am going to throw them into the recycle bin next week, UNLESS someone wants them. I will be glad to give them to anyone that wants them if you'll pay for shipping. I don't have a list of all the manuals yet (I still need to clean the garage), but if you are interested, let me know which manuals you might be interested in, and I'll let you know if I have them. The top ed...

Anyone want old Turbo Pascal, Turbo C/C++, Borland C++, C++Builder user manuals (paperback)?
Hi, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months and I've got a bunch of old Turbo/Borland Pascal, Turbo/Borland C/C++, and C++Builder user manuals that I no longer have any use for. I am going to throw them into the recycle bin next week, UNLESS someone wants them. I will be glad to give them to anyone that wants them if you'll pay for shipping. I don't have a list of all the manuals yet (I still need to clean the garage), but if you are interested, let me know which manuals you might be interested in, and I'll let you know if I have them. The top ed...

Borland C++ Builder 6.0 SSL/HTTPS question
Hi Not sure which forum to really post this in. I am using BCPPB6 to maintain some legacy projects. One of these needs to GET data from a https URL. I found that the TNMHTTP comnponent that I have used for standard http GET operations in the past does not support https. However the Indy TIdHTTP component apparantly does. With some trial and error I have found that it needs an Intercept component (TIdConnectionInterceptOpenSSL) and needs InterceptEnabled set to true. I then found that I need to have an OpenSSL libraryavailable. Thus I downloaded the latest version from http://indy.ful...

Problem with OleObject in XE4 (shifting from Borland C++ Builder 6.0)
Dear all, Please help, those who faced this problem and solved it... I'm all the time trying to shift from Borland C++ Builder 6.0 to Embarcader C++ Builder XE4 and all the time it becomes almost impossible. This time I tried to create an Excel automation object. In Borland C++ Builder it was ok, in XE4 it seems to be problematic, at least for this moment. Here is the code: _______________________________________________________________________________ #include <ComObj.hpp> .... OleVariant u1_xl_app, u1_xl_wkbs, u1_xl_wkb, u1_xl_wkss, u1_xl_wks; // xl_dr - data rang...

ANN: LMD 2014.1 Platform Release (700+ controls for C++Builder 6 to XE5)
LMD 2014.1 installers are available now! The full platform release includes more than 700 VCL controls for Delphi/C++Builder 6 and better (including XE5). All main and standalone pack installers (for registered users) were updated. Review all changes at http://wiki.lmd.de/index.php/LMD_2014_-_History Find current summary of all LMD 2014 changes at LMD 2014 What's New Page: http://wiki.lmd.de/index.php/LMD_VCL_2014_-_News To learn more about other LMD products visit the General Product Page: http://www.lmd.de/products/vcl All products are based on LMD2014 platform (includi...

Indy10.6.0.5040 receive fails on Win 7 OS since upgrading to XE5 C++Builder
Since upgrading from XE2 to XE5 C++ Builder, using a project successfully compiled and running under XE2 (Indy 10.5.0...) when compiled under XE5 (Indy 10.6.0.5040) will work on transmitting MCast data to devices but will not receive the returned data from the OS. Wireshark verifies that the expected data was received by the NIC OK. However, using, for instance, RcvByteCnt = IdIPMCastServer1->Binding->Receive(RecvBuffer); after the discovery request, results in a 'Socket error: connection timeout 10060' after the 2 second receive time out. Devices returned data to the request in...

Web resources about - Converting from Borland C++ Builder 6 to XE5 - embarcadero.cppbuilder.cpp

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...

Rothesay building new arena, converting existing rink to fieldhouse
The Town of Rothesay plans to build a new arena and convert the existing one into a fieldhouse.