***Free Your Mind***
0
John
11/19/2009 9:14:38 PM
embarcadero.computer-industry 350 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The author mistakenly generalizes weak points of *particular* cloud
platforms to the cloud as a whole. E.g.:

> Virtually no pre-existing software can simply be run from “the cloud”
> without being rewritten, usually in a rather drastic fashion.

	Absolutely true for force.com. Partially true for Google. Not at all
true for EC2 and mostly false for Azure, which will even run Tomcat!

	The article is filled with such mischaracterizations. It wouldn't be
so bad if it were written as a critique of SalesForce, but it's mostly
wrong about cloud computing as a whole.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
> The author mistakenly generalizes weak points of *particular* cloud
> platforms to the cloud as a whole. E.g.:
>
>> Virtually no pre-existing software can simply be run from “the cloud”
>> without being rewritten, usually in a rather drastic fashion.
>
> Absolutely true for force.com. Partially true for Google. Not at all
> true for EC2 and mostly false for Azure, which will even run Tomcat!

The problem for most pre-existing business software is that it is not
written to be run as anything other than a monolithic native Win32
executable. All of that would require a rewrite, would it not?

> The article is filled with such mischaracterizations. It wouldn't be
> so bad if it were written as a critique of SalesForce, but it's mostly
> wrong about cloud computing as a whole.

How so?
0
John
11/20/2009 4:12:09 PM
John Jacobson wrote:

> The problem for most pre-existing business software is that it is not
> written to be run as anything other than a monolithic native Win32
> executable. All of that would require a rewrite, would it not?

	No. Monolithic Win32 exes run fine on EC2, today. Most would likely
run in Azure, too.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
11/20/2009 5:03:55 PM
"Craig Stuntz" <craig_stuntz@nospam.please [a.k.a. acm.org]> wrote in
message news:185549@forums.codegear.com...
> John Jacobson wrote:
>
>> The problem for most pre-existing business software is that it is not
>> written to be run as anything other than a monolithic native Win32
>> executable. All of that would require a rewrite, would it not?
>
> No. Monolithic Win32 exes run fine on EC2, today. Most would likely
> run in Azure, too.

I guess that means that all those firms that are doing rewrites so they can
be on "the cloud" are idiots then.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. <g>
0
John
11/20/2009 11:54:38 PM
John Jacobson wrote:

> I guess that means that all those firms that are doing rewrites so
> they can be on "the cloud" are idiots then.

	Possible. Hard to say without knowing the particulars. As the original
article proved, generalizations are dangerous.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig

More on the dangers of cloud computing
One of my daughters had "trouble" with her Sidekick, but says it's mostly there - she must have gotten lucky. http://www.macworld.com/article/143244/2009/10/sidekick.html?lsrc=rss_main -- Danita Novell Knowledge Partner Moving GroupWise to Linux? http://www.caledonia.net/gwmove.html DZanre wrote: > One of my daughters had "trouble" with her Sidekick, but says it's mostly > there - she must have gotten lucky. > > http://www.macworld.com/article/143244/2009/10/sidekick.html?lsrc=rss_main > How about the fact that it can take mont...

computer routing stuff to another computer, through my computer
Hello, everyone. I'm new in this group and, because I'm not an expert, I thought I'd ask for your opinion before I go about warning other people about this. Please read and enlighten me... let me know what you think... I surf the net using internet prepaid cards and I'm always trying new brands/companies. Well, last Sunday I bought one called Mega (never seen it before, so it must be new) and here's what happens: Whenever my computer is connected to Mega, suspicious attempts to route data packets from a computer 64.94.96.102 (no host name) -- through my com...

Computed Field not computing
I have a series of computed fields that calculate percentages and then a series that total those percentages. When I add the third total percentage field (out of four total) to my group trailer, all my total percentage fields sum to 0 when they should all sum to 100. If I move the third computed field into another band then they all sum to 100 and when I put it back they all still compute to 100. Why would this happen? I know computed fields constantly re-compute, but these are not initially computing correctly based on the number of computed fields present in my group trailer band...

Computing computed field
I Have a computed field in tailor band of a group. I tried to sum that computed field in summary band using another computed expression ..It is displaying 0 instead of sum . I appreciated any help Thanks Sue You can place the expression from the second field in the first one instead of referring to it. Another option (often works) is to apply the GroupCalc DataWindow method (of course outside the expression in the script where you issue Retrieve(), for example.). Sue Sambireddy wrote: > I Have a computed field in tailor band of a group. I tried to sum > t...

computer 2 computer
hello everyone can someone please share some ideas with me on the following setup i would like to do : my daughter has a computer with win95, and mine is win98. we would like to connect our two machines together directly without going thru an internet service provider, so that we just phone direct into each others machines. the purpose of this is for her to send me some files etc. so any suggestions on how to establish this type of remote arrangement. is there any simple software that does this, or is there a built-in facility in Windows that might facilitate this ? ...

Computing Computed Field
I Have a computed field in tailor band of a group. I tried to sum that computed field in summary band using another computed expression ..It is displaying 0 instead of sum I appreciated any help Thanks Sue IF you use the format sum(x for group 1) in Tailor group then use sum(x for all) in summary. Stephan Donati Fortisoft Corporation "Sue Sambireddy" <SSambireddy@bankofny.com> wrote in message news:3AE83A22.AF41D7BC@bankofny.com... > I Have a computed field in tailor band of a group. I tried to sum > that computed field in summary band using a...

computed field of a computed field
Hello, I made nice datawindow with some aggregate functions to calculate a certain value at a group level. Now I want a grand total which gives me the sum of these values. Unfortunately this does not seem to be possible. So, when I have a computed field which is round (sum(file_field),0) located in the trailer band, I need a grand total of this field in the summary band. Does anyone know how to solve this ? Philip. Philip@acom.be (Belgium) Philip, in the group , you must have created a computed field having expression sum ( file_field ) for group 1 In the summery, y...

Traansfer Firefox from computer A to computer B
I am about to transfer Thunderbird to a new computer. Is there a quick way to transfer the settings, themes, plug-ins without having to install them all from scrach? Mark wrote: > I am about to transfer Thunderbird to a new computer. > > Is there a quick way to transfer the settings, themes, plug-ins > without having to install them all from scrach? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder -- Ed Mullen http://edmullen.net/ "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas J. Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 On 1/16/2011 ...

Syncnish Favorites between Computer A and Computer B
I have FireFox on two computers and I want to share / synchronize the favorites on them both They are at different locations I also use Gmail if that helps I am open to suggestions as to how do this? ?Firefox has a built-in sync feature, however I think Xmarks works a lot better and offers more features as well. xmarks.com "Mark" wrote in message news:6ab1cc19-9f65-40b7-9d46-ec79b4388904@fm22g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I have FireFox on two computers and I want to share / synchronize the favorites on them both They are at different locations I also use G...

(objectClass!=computer) still returns computers
The first part is (objectClass=user)... I've also tried (objectCategory!=computer) (objectCategory=person) So the entire search string looks like (&(objectClass=user)(objectClass!=computer)(displayName=j*)) Also tried (objectClass={0})(objectClass!=computer)(objectCategory=person) Pretty much trying to cover all my bases. But it is still returning records of class computer :-( any ideas? thanks, lee franke Try this if not put ! inside the parantethesis of objectclass but before objectclass So the entire search string looks like (&...

Switching Main Computer with Other Computer with Sync
OK, I initially set up my sync account on my laptop PC using FF 4.01 and synced everything. I then installed the sync 1.7 addon on my desktop PC using FF 3.6.17 and synced everything on the desktop to my sync account. I assume sync now has the laptop as the main computer and the laptop is the other computer. Is there a way to switch these so that the desktop is the main computer and the laptop is the other computer? Or does this setup make a whole lot of difference? Maybe I should just start over with the desktop. -- Bill ...

Computer Heaven vs Computer He11
In Computer Heaven: The management is from Intel, The design and construction is done by Apple, The marketing is done by Microsoft, IBM provides the support, Gateway determines the pricing. In Computer Hell: The management is from Apple, Microsoft does design and construction, IBM handles the marketing, The support is from Gateway, Intel sets the price. One change is necessary: Change from "In Computer Hell: IBM handles the marketing," to "In Computer Hell: Novell handles the marketing." Just being honest... > > In Compute...

Force computed field to compute in datastors
I use computed fields in a datastore. I understand that the computed fields do not compute, although I change the data that the computed field is depending on, until the dataobject became visible. Can I force the computed field to calculate its expression? I tried AcceptText() and GroupCalc() but it doesn?t work Thank you ZAky 1. What band is the computed field located in? 2. What is the expression of the computed field? 3. Is it a group dw and if so is the changed data for which the cf expression is dependant based on the group expression and if so are you doint a Sort(...

Moving From Old Computer to New Computer
Name: Joel Email: Joelatvisuallearnersalphabetdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Moving From Old Computer to New Computer Comments: Why is this so difficult? I've done a bunch of Google searches and called Host My Site who host's my site and no one knows how to move my email from my old computer to my new computer. Very frustrating. I'm not very technical so I need step by step instructions and I can't seem to find any. Please advise. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL...

Web resources about - Dangers in Cloud Computing - embarcadero.computer-industry

Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the formal concept of computation, see computation . For the magazine, see Computing (magazine) . For the scientific journal, see Computing ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Microsoft and Rambus team up for quantum computing research
Researchers at Microsoft are partnering with Rambus in order to evaluate the future memory requirements of quantum computing. The two technology ...

Oracle just bought a tiny cloud computing startup
... as part of Oracle Public Cloud." StackEngine is a startup focused on the whole Docker/container craze. Docker is a really hot cloud computing ...

CLOUD COMPUTING Cisco Says Spark Collaboration App Is 'Changing Everything'
CIO Today CLOUD COMPUTING Cisco Says Spark Collaboration App Is 'Changing Everything' CIO Today Networking giant Cisco today used a bold word ...

Cisco to create 200 new cloud computing jobs in UK
Startups.co.uk Cisco to create 200 new cloud computing jobs in UK ComputerWeekly.com Cisco is to create 200 new cloud-centric jobs and invest ...

Quantum computing may be moving out of science fiction
Quantum computing may still sound like the stuff of science fiction, but in another five or 10 years, it could be part of our reality. "It's ...

Looming Threats in Cloud Computing
... go to the cloud. Looking ahead as IaaS and cloud technologies advance, in a recent CIT Journal article I identify seven threats in cloud computing ...

The New Story Of Computing: Invisible And Smarter Than You
Technology was supposed to make life simple. Instead, it made it more complex. The solution? Computing without computers. Pizza, wine, and a ...

Fiorina: I Helped The NSA When They Needed Computing Power After 9/11
The former Hewlett-Packard CEO apparently arranged for the agency to get hardware it needed for post-9/11 wiretapping During Tuesday night's ...