Xml file mapper using Web Service - How do I create a database transaction across web method calls

Hi all, I am tasked with creating a web service that maps a number of files to a relational database.  I have a good idea of how I might do this but need to make sure that a list of files get mapped to the database or else they are all rolled back.  Here is the scenario of what should happen.

1. Call an initializing method with the list of files to process as a parameter

2. This method would return a unique identifier to the caller

3. Everytime the caller calls a mapping function also pass the identifier as a parameter

4. If a mapping function fails call a rollback function with the same identifier

5. If all files are mapped successfully call a comit function with identifier

 Any great ideas on how to do this?

Thank you
John
0
Johnny

You can create transactions using the sqlclient, pseudo code in VB using sqldatasources:

Dim cmdConnection As System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(Common.AppSettings.ConnectionString)

Dim transaction As SqlClient.SqlTransaction = cmdConnection.BeginTransaction("processData")

Dim cmd As System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand("storedProcName', cmdConnection, transaction)

Try

      'do a bunch of stuffCatch ex As Exception

      transaction.Rollback()

Throw ex

End Try

You don't use a commit per se, it commits by default unless an exception is thrown so you'd return something after this try as a response.

hth,

tom mallard

analyst/architect, SDE

0
timallard

how to create web service that create xml files availible for web application
Hi epxerts im new in web service. I have a web link which contains nothing when you visit that web link. But when you view the source it will show the xml source in it. I want to create that xml file through web service and make these xml files availible for my application. Best RegardsShaukat Waqar...

create valid xml to send to web service based on the schema provided by web service
Problem: I have a web page which is being populated from a dataset containing multiple tables.  I now need to call a web service and send the majority of this data to be incorporate into a mainframe system.  I have been supplied with the schema that the web service will be using to validate the data.  I am new to web services and I am not sure how to take my existing dataset and transform it into an xml document that matches the schema I was provided with. There is a main schema with an element which is a custom complex type.  This custom type consists of an element whi...

web service call failed: 500 using ajax hovermenu and web service with ascx file
I am using a hovermenu extender on an image button. The hovemenu extender calls a web service and returns back information that I write to the panel that displays. A portion of the code is below. This works when the Page is an aspx page but when I move it to an ascx page I get web service call failed. I do have the ascx page in a folder called controls/pages off of the root but both the default.aspx page and the bedinfo.asmx page are on the root. I don't think I have a path problem. I can include more complete code, there are actually 50 images with 50 hovermenu extenders and one p...

How i create web services & call web services?
Give me the solution of how i create webservices & call it and what is purpose of web services ?? PlsGuree  >how i create webservicesVery much the same as creating a new web site site - it is just a different project type. > & call it andAdd a web reference to an existing project to consume the web service.>what is purpose of web services ??To send and receive data.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. &...

asynchronous call of web service method from another web service
I am calling a web service method from within another web service.  Both are called asyncrhonously. Webservice 1 is invokde from a consumer app and its completed event is assigned an event handler, this works ok  The webservice being called is itself invoking another webservice and asynchronously calling another web method, again Ive assigned an event handler to its completed event, which works.  My problem is how do i expose the ouput (a dataset) of the second web method to the first web method ? Hi, Please have a look at this article: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Problem calling Web Service using the DynamicPopulate Extender
Hi, I'm quite new to ASP.Net AJAX so please forgive my ignorance.  I have downloaded and installed the RC1 version and am following through some of the tutorial videos.  I am having a problem with the Dynamic Populate Extender example.  I have created some asp controls with onclick events calling a javascript function.  From there I am attempting to use a dynamic populate extender control to call a web service - it's a function declared on that ASPX page as the tutorial explains in necessary and decorated with the System.Web.Services.WebMEthod AND System.Web.Script.Serv...

creating XML or XML Web Services?
Hi, I know XML is basically creating a file that allowed multiple applications to get data from the XML file ... and I am wondering .. why there is XML Web Services? What are the differences between these two? I am trying to create a Session that will keep update the value whenever it navigate to any page ... and get the Session value in multiple applications. In my guess, stores Session[] in XML file should work for what I am trying to do ... but what exactly is this XML Web Services? In what kind of situation we use XML or vice versa? All developers, even novices and hobbyists, must be a...

REST Web Service : How to call a web service method by REST way ?
Hi buddy,Can anyone tell me that how do i call a method through a web service by a REST way.I have one local application (with C#.NET, ASP.NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005) and I want to call a Web Service method which is created on a remote machine. I have to call that method from my web application by using a REST (Representational State Transfer) way. I have a WSDL file.Please provide me technical details to make this happen.I want exact code to achieve this.Please please its urgent....Thanks in advance.Thanks,Mitesh.Please Mark this as an Answer if it resolves your problem. Which Version of .n...

Changing URL in web.config for web service
I added a web reference to asmx file. In web.config - it adds - undefinedadd key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test/CoreServices.asmx I then change it to <add key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test2/CoreServices.asmx"/> But CoreService.CoreServices still looks for http://test/CoreServices.asmx.  What else do i have to change? I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ So no ...

Exposing xml file to client using a web service method
I need to write a web service which will have a method to authenticate user,if user is authenticated then i will pull data from my database server using dataset.Now the task is to make the data into an xml file and if the user is authenticated i need to show the file to client.So that,the client will parse the file without saving that. i can create an xml file using daset.writexml(>>>>) But i am facing problem how can i return the file to client. <webmethod _> public function xxx() as ????????   dataset.writexml("123.xml") return ??????? end funct...

Web resources about - Xml file mapper using Web Service - How do I create a database transaction across web method calls - asp.net.xml-web-services

Transaction cost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For example, most people, when buying or selling a stock , must pay a commission to their broker ; that commission is a transaction cost of doing ...

Facebook, Instagram Take Aim At Transactions Involving Guns, Other Regulated Items
Facebook and Instagram reacted swiftly to appeals last week by advocacy groups Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense ...

Unilever’s charitable app uses Timeline and subscription billing; Facebook agrees to take only 5 percent ...
... this week, including subscription payments and the new Open Graph-enabled Like action . Betapond says Facebook agreed to take a 5 percent transaction ...

Transaction Network Services - LinkedIn
Learn about working at Transaction Network Services. Join LinkedIn today for free. See who you know at Transaction Network Services, leverage ...

DocuSign Transaction Rooms (formerly Cartavi) on the App Store on iTunes
Get DocuSign Transaction Rooms (formerly Cartavi) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Banks playing key role in reporting transactions with suspected terrorism links, Austrac says
Australia's financial intelligence agency Austrac is monitoring the financial DNA of those Australians likely to transfer money to fund Islamic ...

Survey says 38 percent of all Apple Pay transactions don’t happen in a store
(credit: Shinya Suzuki ) According to a survey from market research group Phoenix Marketing International, 38 percent of all Apple Pay transaction ...

IDG Contributor Network: Avoiding ginormous transaction logs with SharePoint databases
There isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t hear or read about an organization seeing ginormous transaction log (.ldf) files, while the associated ...

After asking UAE bank for $3 million ransom, hacker dumps tens of thousands of customers' transactions ...
He calls himself Hacker Buba, and he's shared tens of thousands of customers' complete financial information.

Tender Armor Adding New Layer of Security to Credit Card Transactions
The startup's CvvPlus fraud prevention technology provides another layer of authentication via a randomly generated CVV number sent to the credit ...