Web Services vs VPN

Hi friends.

First english is not my primary language, then forgive any mistakes.
I recently have a discussion with a customer about this subject, Web Services vs VPN.
The customer have a central office with an Human Resources Management Application builted on DOS plataform. They have about 150 operations sites (they offers especialized workers to many companies) allocated on yours customers companies.
Montly they proccess all workers informations to produce the payment to workers as usual.
In the present scenario they use diferents types of comunications to send the informations about this workers (like hours worked, faults, incidents and etc) to the central office where employees must re-enter the informations in the Human Resources Management Application.
Some of this comunications methods used today are: Telephone, FAX, e-mail and postal service.
The objective here is to integrate all the sites with the central office application providing on-line data input and output.
We are thinking on web services technology and the great question came into...
"Using our exist network structure, can not we build vpn to all this sites ?"
and, in sequence...
"how are web services better to us against VPN".
I have a couple of points to offer to them. We are working on application lavel, not in network system level and son on.
But i want to see your positions about this subject and discuss this in this scenario.
Then, any comments will be good.
Thank you
0
Alexandre_BR

WebServices and VPNs are not alternative technologies to one another; rather, they are complementary. You deploy VPNs mostly for security reasons, and Webservices for the flexibility.
Tomas Restrepo [MVP]
tomasr@mvps.org
0
tomasr
8/1/2004 12:26:52 AM
Well, as you seems to be a beginner, I have written short article in WS, if you have a time, please spend on it, it might give some idea

http://www.w3coder.com/ws/WSGWBook/WebServGW-01.XML
Hope it helps!
Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
sreedhark
8/1/2004 4:12:18 PM

Well, i think i dont use the words correctly.
My problem is:
I have a central legacy application for DOS in central office.
I must create a web front-end to input/output data from this application/database.
Im thinking in contruct a web service to handle the integration layer (im currently examining BizTalk 2004 too).
But my customer question me about VPN and access the main application by this way.
Im preparing me to argument with he about web services plataform (and/or BizTalk 2004) and its advantages over the VPN integration.
If someone have a point feel free to post here.
Thank you
0
Alexandre_BR

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

multiple web services vs one web service?
Hi,Can someone tell me in term of performance and flexibility which approach is better: Using multiple web services within an application, each web service contains only 1 web method VS using a single Web Service with multiple web methods..(each web method will retrieve data from  the database and populate the Web form). I want to know if it is better to transform each web method to web service or to regroup all web methods in only one Web Service.Thanks in advance. Use one WebService. For each Web Service you'll need a WebReference in VS. 1 WebService = 1 WebReference ...

MPS Web Services VS WES Web services
Hi All, I am new to this post and I am looking for clarifications on HMC 4.5 provisioning. I am building an sample application that uses the MPS Web Services to provision HMC 4.5. I am confused with the terminology difference between a MPS Web Service and a WES  Web service. I have a architecture diagram for HMC 4.5 provisioning where in MPS can be connected to as follows: a) Sample Provisioning UI ----> MPS Web Services ------> MPF Client Wrapper .Net ----> .....  b) Connected Services Framework (CSF) ----> WES Web Services -----&g...

Is web services a part of web Service?

Adding a VS.NET web reference for more than one web service?
I have a web app exposing several web services: SignOnService.asmx UserService.asmx AdminService.asmx etc I have a Winform app that consumes these services. When I go to Add Web Reference in the winform app, I have to add each one individually as their own web reference. How would I set this up so that they can all be added as one web reference? I think you will have to add them to one file (.cs or .vb) the reason they are comming up separately is becuase they are seperate, they are seperate web services(asmx files), classes and have seperate WSDL description...

Creating Web Service
Hello everyone, I am creating a new web service, and was wondering what you all thought the advantages and disadvantages of creating it using a Web Site vs using a Web Application Project...thoughts?  Is one better than the other in terms of deployment?  Is one better for development and debugging? Thanks! Hi d_helland, To understand which one is prefer to your situation, please read the following two articles. What's New in Web Projectshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f7fb46ye(VS.80).aspx Introduction to Web Application Projectshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en...

create valid xml to send to web service based on the schema provided by web service
Problem: I have a web page which is being populated from a dataset containing multiple tables.  I now need to call a web service and send the majority of this data to be incorporate into a mainframe system.  I have been supplied with the schema that the web service will be using to validate the data.  I am new to web services and I am not sure how to take my existing dataset and transform it into an xml document that matches the schema I was provided with. There is a main schema with an element which is a custom complex type.  This custom type consists of an element whi...

.NET vs Java XML Web Services
Does anyone know out of .NET and Java, which one performs better via XML web services? I think that it would really just depend on where you are wanting to deploy your web service. Since both have the overhead of a framwork behind them I would imagine that any performace gains would be small. If you are deploying in a Windows environment I would go with .NET, but mainly because I just like it better. If you want to deploy in Windows and Linux I would use Java. I am not sure how far Mono has come on the Linux platform and if you do not use C# mono would not help you anyway.It's not a bug, i...

Web resources about - Web Services vs VPN - asp.net.xml-web-services

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

In the end the Beatles finally come to streaming services
It's been a long and winding road to get the Beatles on your devices and streaming services, but you've finally reached your destination and ...

The Beatles arrive on 9 different streaming music services
... December 24th in every time zone around the world, a huge portion of The Beatles' catalog will be available to stream on nine different services. ...

New online service seeks to shake up Seattle's office leasing market
... tools, such as a new one called Crelow. The Minneapolis-based startup, which launched in Seattle Wednesday, bills itself as matchmaking service ...

The Beatles discography will be on streaming services as of Christmas Eve
... any music fan can get excited about. As of 12:01 AM local time on Christmas Eve, The Beatles' entire discography will be on streaming services ...

How video streaming services are changing the future of TV
... created, distributed, and monetized. This shift has been brought on by the rising popularity of over-the-top content and video streaming services. ...

Favorite apps and services of 2015
Save time and money with our Windows editor's favorites: Android Pay, Google Fi, PlayStation Vue, and Windows 10.

College Financial Service Provider Higher One To Pay $28M In Fines, Refunds For Misleading Students
Higher One, Inc. promises to help students reach their goal of achieving a degree by providing money management and refund services. But federal ...

Taiwan market: Taiwan Secom provides retail management services via cooperation with Microsoft
Taiwan Secom, the largest residential/commercial security service provider in Taiwan, on December announced cooperation with Microsoft to provide ...

The Beatles Hit Music Streaming Services at Midnight Tonight
Announced this morning, The Beatles are finally, finally hitting music streaming services across the globe, and yes, this includes Google Play ...