Converting Web Service/Basic Authentication Code From Client App To VS .Net

We've got a Web service we need to access from both client applications (like Excel) and from other Websites. As part of our security we need basic authentication for the Web service. On the client side we managed to hack it in using a bit of backdoor code. In Excel 2003, the following code works successfully to create an instance of the Web service:

Set sc_POC = New SoapClient30

m_WSDL_URL = "https://username:password@mysite/myWS.asmx?wsdl"
sc_POC.MSSoapInit2 m_WSDL_URL, str_WSML, c_SERVICE, c_PORT, c_SERVICE_NAMESPACE
sc_POC.ConnectorProperty("ProxyServer") = "<CURRENT_USER>"
sc_POC.ConnectorProperty("EnableAutoProxy") = True

Now we're in Visual Studio 2005 trying to create the same functionality. I created an "App_WebReferences" folder in my project, and navigated to the Web service desired. As I would expect I was prompted for the username and password, and when I provided those it successfully created the various discovery files. However, I notice that it didn't store the username and password anywhere in those files (which is actually the desired behavior).

When I try to invoke the Web service, I get a "401: Access Denied" error. I've tried setting the Url property of the Web service object to be the same one that worked in Excel, but to no avail. I'm not as familiar with using "App_WebReferences" as I am with the method we have working in Excel. Is there some other property I should be looking at? Nothing that comes up under Intellisense seems to make a difference.

TIA

"I'm a paladin with 18 charisma and 97 hit-points. I can use my Helm of Disintegration and do one d4 damage as my half mage elf wields his +5 Holy Avenger."
0
mwisebaker

Post the code you are using in VS for a more detailed answer, but at a guess you need to provide the authentication something like;

WebServiceClient myClient = new WebServiceClient();

myClient.ClientCredentials.Windows.ClientCredential = new NetworkCredential(username, password);

Now you can call the service methods.

Of course you can choose to hard code the username here or pass it in from a config file and so on...

hth,

Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
wortho

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

WS-Security with VS.NET 2005 Web Service and .NET 1.1 Client
We ship a webservices client piece into the field which is required to run on the .NET 1.1 version of the framework, this is defined by our business people and cannot change. We would like to work with .NET 2.0 in VS.NET 2005 for the backend Web Service piece. We are able to get the 2 to communicate fine and it is not a problem. The issue now is that we need to introduce security through WS-Security. I have not been able to find much information about interop between the 2 environments and WS-Security and cannot get the security elements to be invoked in VS.NET 2005. Currently we are trying ...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

.NET Web Service Proxy (EasySoap vs .NET)
Greetings all, I was provided with a URL for a web service that is password protected. I saved the WSDL file from the browser and am attempting to create a .NET Web Service Proxy to use it. When I select EasySoap for the 'Web Service Selection', I see one service ('Services') and five 'Structures' (which is the number of 'methods' that I am expecting to see). But when I select .NET, I still see one service (named differently) and only one structure. Four of the structures are missing. Is there something else I need to do to view the four ...

Adding a VS.NET web reference for more than one web service?
I have a web app exposing several web services: SignOnService.asmx UserService.asmx AdminService.asmx etc I have a Winform app that consumes these services. When I go to Add Web Reference in the winform app, I have to add each one individually as their own web reference. How would I set this up so that they can all be added as one web reference? I think you will have to add them to one file (.cs or .vb) the reason they are comming up separately is becuase they are seperate, they are seperate web services(asmx files), classes and have seperate WSDL description...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

.NET vs Java XML Web Services
Does anyone know out of .NET and Java, which one performs better via XML web services? I think that it would really just depend on where you are wanting to deploy your web service. Since both have the overhead of a framwork behind them I would imagine that any performace gains would be small. If you are deploying in a Windows environment I would go with .NET, but mainly because I just like it better. If you want to deploy in Windows and Linux I would use Java. I am not sure how far Mono has come on the Linux platform and if you do not use C# mono would not help you anyway.It's not a bug, i...

What action by a web service requires an app to update their web reference to a Web Service
I create a web reference to a web service in my aspx web application which returns an XML object. If the owner of the web service makes a change to their object am I required to do an update web reference? What if I dont use the information from the new object? thanks Larry You should make the change only if the contract b/w the two has changed (e.g. parameters, return values), etc.-Mathew Nolton Website=www.cybral.com Email=mnolton@cybral.com Blog=weblogs.asp.net/mnolton If the web service now returns a new element and my class reference doesn't match their new class ref...

Re: Using XML Web Service in VS.NET
Dear all, I added a "test.asmx" file in my current project and I coded all Web Method in the test.asmx.cs in VS.NET. Now I want to ask how can I call the web methods in other C# Class? Suppose the class name of the asmx is "test". How can I instantiate the object of that class? Regards, Joe someone can correct me on this.... i hav done a walkthrough using XML webservice. I have created a windows application that can call methods from the webservice, with the use of a dataset in the webservice. after "adding a web reference" to my windows appli...

Web resources about - Converting Web Service/Basic Authentication Code From Client App To VS .Net - asp.net.xml-web-services

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Online account security: lazy authentication is still the norm
Even in the high-tech world of 2016, crims will be able to side-step your account security by making a phone call and saying they're you.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app