Can Non-.NET Web Service Clients Use Datasets?

If a .NET-written web serice returns a dataset, can a web service not written in .NET use that dataset? If not, what should be returned?

thanks in advance,
Geoff
0
geoffrobinson_work

I would return a string (in xml format possibly) - you could probably just return DataSet.ToXML() as the return value
0
jhouse
5/12/2004 1:32:25 AM
How about creating an object to represent each row in the dataset and then putting it into an array?
0
geoffrobinson_work

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

Can WSE 3.0 Web Service be exposed to the web and can it be consumed by non .Net apps?
If I write a WSE 3.0 web service in .Net 2.0, can I expose it to the web like an IIS XML web service.?Also, can this web service be consumed by non .Net apps or .Net 1.1. apps?sun21170 Yes, simply enable your web service project for WSE 3, and this will alter web.config to support WSE 3 web services in IIS.The web service can be consumed by non .Net clients, however .Net 1.1 clients may struggle unless you add WSE support ans generate specific WSE proxies at the client end.  JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

.NET Web Service and Non .NET programe
When we develop a web service by VB.NET. Then i use visual basic, Microsoft access, asp. Can these stuff access to my web service ? Means you want to access Webserver developed in VB.NET in ASP application?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

What do non-.net users need to do to consume a .net web service?
Hello, I'm very new to web service world and haven't had much chance to do much reading on theory and architecture yet. So I'm asked to create one for someone external to my organization (still inside my company). I make one, test it, deploy it, consume it. Go me. It was very easy within my comfortable .net shop. However, the intended consumer is not a .Net shop (J2EE). I was under the impression that if I sent in a GET request to the asmx file, I would get XML back. This turned out to be not the case and I had to use the proxy file to prove that I could consume the service. S...

How to use a web service from a non .net provider?
I use .net framework and what I do usually is add a web reference that includes the asmx file. Now the provider doesn’t use .net and I don’t know how to use the service. I have the address of the service, I have the soap action (method) and I have the WSDL. Any help is appreciated. Please don't post the same question in multiple places, without waiting to see if it's answered the first place you posted it. I answered this on the MSDN forum. The answer, for those reading it here is to specify the location of the WSDL to "Add Web Reference".John Saunders | MVP – Connected ...

Consuming a .NET web service in Delphi 2010 using a service reference
Hi, I've been asked to modify one of my existing applications (D2010 Win32) to interact with a web service written under VS2010/.Net 4. The information I have so far is :- "As communication is secured by .NET WsHttpBinding data encrypting, In order to consume it you have to add to your application a Service Reference (not a web reference) that joins the service available at the URL: http://ctm.mobilling.it/SmsComApi/Sms.svc . Assuming that the binding created in your app.confing is named "WSHttpBinding_ISms" you have to instantiate a client as shown below: {c...

Can you call a web service from a web service?
I am trying to create a web service that itself consumes a 3rd party web service outside of our corporate firewall - so basically a web service consuming another web service.  I can consume this outside web service directly in an ASP.NET application without a problem.  But because the code is long and cumbersome, I wanted to provide our GUI developers an easy way to get all of the data they need from one source.  So I thought I could create an internal web service that would do a lot of things (query internal systems, for example) as well as consuming this external service.&nb...

Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server?
Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server? Which is to say, of course, that the URL would be starting with https. Anyone? ...

Web resources about - Can Non-.NET Web Service Clients Use Datasets? - asp.net.xml-web-services

UAH satellite temperature dataset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The UAH satellite temperature dataset , developed at the University of Alabama in Huntsville , attempts to infer the temperature of the atmosphere ...

Data : Where can I get large datasets open to the public?
Answer (1 of 91): Here's the ones I've found most useful: CrunchBase, US Census, Google Public Data, Infochimps, Timetric, Factual, Freebase, ...

YouTube - Hans Rosling: Let my dataset change your mindset
Hochgeladen am 31.08.2009 http://www.ted.com Talking at the US State Department this summer, Hans Rosling uses his fascinating data-bubble software ...

The Mindset, Skillset, Dataset Approach to Social Media
... Social media is comprised primarily of unstructured data, which is difficult to analyze. A new approach called Mindset, Skillset, Dataset can ...

Sending large datasets to Amazon? Use the Post Office
Amazon has introduced a new method to move large amounts of data to and from …

IDG Contributor Network: Are datasets truly anonymized? Two well-suited researchers are going to find ...
With little fanfare or formality, Adam Smith , associate professor of computer science and engineering in Penn State's School of Electrical Engineering ...

House GOP looks to shed light on EPA secret datasets
House Republicans have introduced a bill that would block the Environmental Protection Agency from crafting regulations based on “secret” scientific ...

Google Making It Easier to Transfer Huge Datasets on the Cloud
... Cloud Import services are now in preview mode, but could later be available on a widespread basis to help enterprises move their large datasets ...

Environmental datasets, reverse auction legislation and military email
News and notes from around the federal IT community. The White House's Data.gov has added five datasets to the Ecosystem Vulnerability theme ...

Easily Manipulate Terabyte-Sized Datasets With GraphLab
Easily Manipulate Terabyte-Sized Datasets With GraphLab