Can a Windows service call a web service?

Hi everyone,

Im working on a tool that consists of two parts:
The "sender" would be a Windows service written in VB.net and compiled in Visual Studio. The purpose of the sender is to monitor one or more folders on a local workstation, looking for any new files that are dropped into the directory.
The "receiver" would be a Web service running on my website. Its purpose is to receive binary data (over port 80) from the "sender", and then save that file to the server in a specific location.
So my question is really two parts: first off, can a Windows service written in VB.net "consume" a VB.net Web service? Second, does anyone know of a good article that details how to send a file from one Web service to another?
Thanks in advance for your help!
-Marc
0
marcbertone

Yes, you can call a web service from a windows service.  It's just another client consuming a web service.

You are describing sending a file from a windows service to a web service, but then you ask how to send files between web services? Can you clarify what you are looking for?
Cristian Sturek
Principal SOA Architect
http://www.xwebservices.com
http://www.soahub.com
0
csturek
1/13/2005 7:33:04 PM
Sorry about that...what I need is an example of a web-service that receives files, and a windows-service (or other consumer) that can send a file.  I dont really care what format the sender is in since I can port it over to a windows service once I understand how it works...

Thanks for the reply...
-Marc
0
marcbertone
1/13/2005 7:55:35 PM
Yes, I've just written such a thing and it works fine. The idea: you may use an example of a windows service  a.e. Professional VB.NET, ISBN1861004974) and if you know how to access an xml-webservice from a ASP.Net application or a windows application then you got it. :-) xios
0
xios

Can you call a web service from a web service?
I am trying to create a web service that itself consumes a 3rd party web service outside of our corporate firewall - so basically a web service consuming another web service.  I can consume this outside web service directly in an ASP.NET application without a problem.  But because the code is long and cumbersome, I wanted to provide our GUI developers an easy way to get all of the data they need from one source.  So I thought I could create an internal web service that would do a lot of things (query internal systems, for example) as well as consuming this external service.&nb...

How can I call a WCF web service from windows scheduling services
 Hi,How can I call an aspx page or a WCF web service from windows scheduler? I know, I can make a windows service and call the WCF web service from that windows service. Here is the scenario. My application needs to run 12:00 am every night and check how many customer reached  the due day of their monthly rent. It then finds the customer and update their payment status. Now currently I am doing this by creating a windows service which eventually calls a WCF web service that do the checking. Now, for some reason I dont want to use windows service. I want to use windows sched...

How i create web services & call web services?
Give me the solution of how i create webservices & call it and what is purpose of web services ?? PlsGuree  >how i create webservicesVery much the same as creating a new web site site - it is just a different project type. > & call it andAdd a web reference to an existing project to consume the web service.>what is purpose of web services ??To send and receive data.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. &...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

calling web service using windows service
Hi,  anyone have ideas on how to call web service method using windows service?   Hi,Build a proxy to the web service in a different class library (by add web reference/add service reference).Then, in the windows service you add a reference to the dll of the class library you have built, initialize a web service proxy class and call the method you need.I Hope it helps.Gil FinkMCPD Enterprise Applications Developerhttp://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/gilf  >Build a proxy to the web service in a different class libraryUsing a class library is a very important step. (...

DynamicPopulateExtender: Web Service call failed: 12152, Web Service call failed: 12031
Hi, I'm using a DynamicPopulateExtender to take the value of a SELECT dropdown and pass it to an onpage web service (defined with <System.Web.Services.WebMethod()> _ '<System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod()>) and as PUBLIC SHARED FUNCTION myfunction(contextKey as string) as string. The function returns the html for a listbox. Everything seems to fire properly on the client but when the web service is called by the Javascript function, I get Web Service call failed: 12152 or Web Service call failed: 12031 Any pointers would be appreciated.  Do...

web service , windows service
 whats the different between web service and windows service.In which situation we have using this concepts. Regards,Viji  A web service is web-based (obviously), and acts more like either 1) a component, or 2) a way to append, view, update, etc., the data in your system. For example, you could have a simple webservice that acts like a component, doing nothing but adding two numbers together and returning the result. (You pass in the parameters to add.) For example 2, look a PayPal or UPS.  (PayPal really uses cgi-based info accessing to retrieve data from form fields...

Web Services and windows Services
Hello, I create a web services for my web application and i want to use this web service for my windows service,too..However, when i add web reference to my windos service, i cant call it..Is there any article or link or idea about it? Thank you ver much.....

Web Service or Windows Service
I'm kinda new to asp.net but I've got a web site that needs to send emails to lots of users at any given moment the administrator wants... it goes like this... Choose the groups Check for the users withing the group A,B,C..... Send email.... It takes a lot of time waiting for the process to finish, and I don't want the administrator to sit there the time it takes, so I was wondering if i could use a web service to make all of this happen without the user waiting for the page to refresh, like making a job pool and calling the web service to execute the jobs independently.... T...

Web Service or Windows Service?
Hi,I've only been starting to learn web recently. And I am totally new to web developing. I just have a few questions related to both services:1. What are the differences between the two? 2. Say I want to develop web application to automatically send out emails at specified time. Which service should i use or both of them to work?3. Can you provide some links for further readings or samples for the very beginner like me? :pThanks & Rgds,Dav.  Davuth 1)Windows service is not a web based whereas the webservice is webbased2)Windows service will start as windows will start wh...

Web resources about - Can a Windows service call a web service? - asp.net.xml-web-services

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

Australian public service allowances attacked: Institute of Public Affairs report
... and flex time under attack. The report by IPA deputy executive director James Paterson and lawyer Aaron Lane said federal public service wages ...

Leading autism service to be investigated over restraint policy
The Andrews government will order an independent review into the use of restraints by one of Australia's leading disability services in the aftermath ...

Melbourne heatwave: Emergency services on high alert as Victoria braces for season's worst fire weather ...
Authorities announce a total fire ban across Victoria on Saturday, as Melbourne experiences temperatures all over the place.

China Mobile creates dedicated unit to grow its internet services revenues
Zee News China Mobile creates dedicated unit to grow its internet services revenues Rethink Research (subscription) Many large mobile operators ...

The Beatles music reportedly coming to one streaming service on Christmas Eve
When Apple Music launched back in June, it was noted that the music subscription service didn’t offer up the entire iTunes catalog with a few ...

Target is taking on Apple Pay with its own mobile wallet service
... Of course, we’ll keep you posted with further information as we receive it. Target is taking on Apple Pay with its own mobile wallet service ...

LifeLock ID protection service to pay record $100 million for failing customers
... states. LifeLock was given a slap on the wrist and a $12 million fine in 2010 for falsely advertising its identity theft protection services. ...

Inside Apple’s plan to turn the iPhone into a subscription service
Apple is trying a new subscription service that would allow consumers to get an iPhone annually at no additional cost. At Business Insider's ...

Gillette Suing Dollar Shave Club Claiming Razor Subscription Service Infringes On Its Patents
... it’s no surprise that competition is fierce. In an effort to protect its slice of the market, Gillette is suing online subscription razor service ...