adding web reference, remote web service. "unable to download service.asmx?wsdl"

Hello having a problem with this web service. VS [2005]

The message we get when we try and add the web reference is "unable download following files http://10.0.1.7/codered/service.asmx?wsdl". Which is using the internal ip address of the web server. We have check the IIS where the web service has been published to.

But could not see why it is using the internal ip and not the external ip address. The actual url is http://83.100.199.125/codered/service.asmx

Here is the service description sample, maybe someone can check this, as this has the internal ip address at the bottom.

wsdl:definitions targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/" wsdl:types> s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/" wsdl:binding wsdl:service name="Service" wsdl:port name="ServiceSoap" binding="tns:ServiceSoap" soap:address location="http://10.0.1.7/codered/service.asmx"/ wsdl:port wsdl:port name="ServiceSoap12" binding="tns:ServiceSoap12" soap12:address location="http://10.0.1.7/codered/service.asmx" wsdl:port wsdl:service wsdl:definitions

I am really hopping someone can help me with this problem. M

any thanks if you can,

Steve

0
steve1_rm

When you add your web reference, use xxxxx/service.asmx?WSDL

Now, for some reason, your wsdl referneces your internal address, so in the client web.config, you need to change the appsetting governing the location.
The easy fix to the problem is to generate the wsdl document using visual studio and make it available where you deploy.

As to why it has the wrong address, it could be a firewall setting governing loopbacks or just the fact that you publshed it internally.  Did you "Publish" the service or just set up IIS with the right content?  Whether you published it precompiled could be a factor as well.  Regardless, I would just use disco.exe to create your wsdl file, then make the address change.  Then everyone can reference it without issue.

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan

Please compare "web service" and "remote services"
Somebody, please tell me the different beetween "web services" and "remote services". So, "web services" and "remote services" which one is better? Please tell me This might provide some insight. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetremotearch.asp The really question at hand is what kind of project? Frank ...

Programatically build Web Service proxies independent of the "Web Reference" in VS.Net?
Can anyone detail for me how to build a proxy for a webservice from its .wsdl without using a "web reference"? Or point me to a hotw-to somewhere? I assume there is an API for this in the Framework, I just cannot find it... Thanks.Thanks,B You have to use WSDL.eXE you can see info on it @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/html/cpgrfWebServicesDescriptionLanguageToolWsdlexe.asp Hope it helps!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti For complete programmatic use of dynamic Web services by simply feedi...

"Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services
I like the new "Visual Web Developer Web Server" (Do you want suggestions for a longer name!) but I have an issue with using it to host a Web Service. Whenever the Web Service is recompiled and run it ends up with a different port number. Therefore, it seems that any references to that WS in other applications are invalidated and need to be re-established when it's run again. Is there a way of pinning the port number, or am I missing something? CheersNick Grattan, MSDN Regional Director, Ireland. Software Paths Limited. Hi Nick, the internal server is used for local...

Can "Add Web Reference" if web service deployed to new web site, Can't add ref if deployed to Virt Server under Default web site (Sharepoint)
I have created a web service wich I can deploy successfully to a new IIS Web, but of course I have to set the port to something other than 80 (and I'd rather just use a virtual server under the Default web). If I try to deploy my web service under the Default Web as a new virtual server, and then try to "Add a web Reference" to the service, it fails with a 404: not found error. Notes: WServer 2003 My IIS server is running Sharepoint Portal Server (SPPS)sp2.  VS2005 Any ideas? /Bob C in GRR In Sharepoint Portal Admin I had to add a Path Exclusion.  Took me a whi...

"no service in WSDL file " in Web Service Proxy Wizard
I'm trying to follow the "EAServer Web Service Using PowerBuilder Component and Client" tutorial but when I get to the Select Service window(after just having entered the WSDL file name in the previous window) I get "There is no service in the WSDL file." and the Services list is empty. I found an earlier post where this problem seemed to be resolved by combining the 2 WSDL files(pb_hello.wsdl and pb_helloImpl.wsdl) into one file, but this has not worked for me. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

how to make refer to a remote Web Service? : ServiceReference can only refer to local web service.
Hi Folks, Since  ServiceReference can only refer to local web service, how can I refer to web service in the remote machine?  Thanks for your suggestion.   Sun You can make a local web service that collect data from the remote web service.Hope this can helo ;)Stefano ...

"Add Web Reference" -vs- "Add Service Reference"
I've noticed that in VS 2008 I can add a reference to a web service through "Add Service Reference..." or "Add Web Reference".  It appears that either of these approaches works but there are some differences in the naming of the client-side proxy that's generated.. Does "Add Service Reference" take advantage of the 3.5 framework?  Does this approach gain any efficiencies if I'm still adding the reference for an asmx web service rather than a WCF service?  Or does "Add Service Reference" for an asmx web service just pr...

What action by a web service requires an app to update their web reference to a Web Service
I create a web reference to a web service in my aspx web application which returns an XML object. If the owner of the web service makes a change to their object am I required to do an update web reference? What if I dont use the information from the new object? thanks Larry You should make the change only if the contract b/w the two has changed (e.g. parameters, return values), etc.-Mathew Nolton Website=www.cybral.com Email=mnolton@cybral.com Blog=weblogs.asp.net/mnolton If the web service now returns a new element and my class reference doesn't match their new class ref...

Web Service Strange Error "Service Description altering attributes cannot be specified on service implementation. "
G'day folks;I built a web service based on a given XLM request message and XML response message following the guidelines provided by Yasser Shohoud in his article "Place XML Message Design Ahead of Schema Planning to Improve Web Service Interoperability"  I used given response and request documents provided by a user manual for an Air Force web service that returns weather imagery.  The web service built correctly.  There was some confusion at first because Yasser used C# and I used vbNet.  The wsdl.exe created a stub file with an interface called IWeatherSe...

A "Web Application Project" for web-services ?
I was wondering if there is something analogous to the "Web Application Project" VS add-in for Web-services. By analogous I mean: 1. All the source files in a Web-services project is compiled into a single assembly, perhaps with the exceptions of the .asmx file 2. Property pages for the project in VS display all the tabs that are available in other kinds of projects - i.e., for example, ability to specify pre and post build events, the XML documentation file etc. I really appreciate any help. Cheers, Adrigo Yes, the current release supports creating an "ASP.Net Web Service Applica...

reference a compiled web service from another web service
I created a compiled web service (eg, a dll file). now i create another web service in which i want to refer to the compiled service. how is this done in vs .net?? i am following an example which is not vs .net specific so i am not sure of the syntax. the example says to create the second web service (ie, .asmx.vb file) and include the following single line of code in it to refer to the compiled code: <%@ WebService Class="compiled_code_service_name" %> this does not work within vs .net. can anybody tell me what is the correct syntax?? thanks I'm not quite sure I ...

Web resources about - adding web reference, remote web service. "unable to download service.asmx?wsdl" - asp.net.xml-web-services