Validating XML file with XML schema

I want to be able to edit an XML file in browser. I open the XML file, read its contents and put it into a multi-line textbox for the user to edit it. Now, when the user wants to save the changes by pressing the save -button, I want to check if the XML data still is valid. For this I think the XML schema is perfect, right?

Now, how can I write an function that takes a string parameter (which contains the whole XML file data from the textbox) and validates it against a schema file? I created the schema by passing a 100% valid XML file to the Visual Studio´s "Create Schema" tool. The function would return another string containing the possible error message.

I googled around and found some example code, but i just dont seem to get it right. The code always seems to be so complicated..so it would be super if someone would write a very simple (and commented) example code for me =)

0
madaxel
9/10/2008 12:33:16 PM
asp.net.xml-datasource 7181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You can use XmlDocument.

  1. Load the Xml String using MyXmlDoc.LoadXml(...).
  2. Add Schemas using MyXmlDoc.Schemas.Add(...).
  3. Validate using MyXmlDoc.Validate(...)

Steve Wellens

My blog
0
SGWellens
9/10/2008 4:59:56 PM

I got it working, thanks Steve. The reason why i didnt get it working before was because I didnt know that you can set the default namespace and the validationevenhandler to null.

So now i have a function that returns true if validation agains specified schema passes, and if not, a error message about whats wrong in the XML is displayed and false is returned.

    private bool ValidateXML(string sXmlDataToValidate, string sSchemaFilePath)
    {
        try
        {
            XmlDocument document = new XmlDocument();
            document.LoadXml(sXmlDataToValidate);
            document.Schemas.Add(null, sSchemaFilePath);
            document.Validate(null);
            return true;
        }
        catch (XmlException ex)
        {
            lblError.Text = ex.Message;
            return false;
        }
    }

0
madaxel

XMLParseFile: Validating XML File Against XML Schema
I am having problems using the XMLParseFile function to validate an XML file against an XML Schema generated by a source external to our organization. The XML file and XML Schema are stored locally in the same directory. Scenario as follows: 1. Schema received as an Email attachment from an outside source (i.e. external to our organization). 2. Attachment saved to disk: C:\myDirectory\schemaDoc.xsd 3. XML file generated from an external source datawindow using SaveAs method: C:\myDirectory\xmlDoc.xml 4. XMLParseFile first used to c...

Xml Schema from xml file
How should i create xml schema from xml file?  Do you mean an XSD?  That's easy--open the XML file in Visual Studio.  There will be a new XML menu button, and one option is to create an XSD.  If you have a lot of files, MS has a little tool at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb840042.aspx.If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.Crystal AllianceMy BlogFlorist Blogs  Thanks alot!!  It worked wonderfully...

Xml schema to Xml file
Is it possible to convert xml schema to xml file.How can i do read&writexmlschema using a dataset with xml schema. I converted a xml file to xml schema in a web appliction project.Then what should be location of shema that i need to give for a dataset I mean dataset.readxmlscheme(server.mappath(??))   Please let me know I am new to this field     dataset.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("xml\ProductList.xml")) will read the xml as well as the schema of thexml file. no need to convert it into schema file while using dataset as it will automatically define the ...

XML Transform to 1 XML file to another XML File
Hello All  I am a novice programmer. I want to transform 1 xml file to another xml file. I am looking for a example code where user will select source xml file and create another xml file in different file with different fields with some default validation of parsing date and default values.  Can anyone help me or let me know any available source code in C#/ASP.Net?  Ms Disha I am assuming you know xslt, if not, you would have to go look at that.  But if you do, then this document will help you out http://www.csharpfriends.com/Articles/getArticle.aspx?articleID=...

XML in, XML out
Hi All (and a happy holiday to those that will get a break), I am trying to read in an XML file of addresses. I need to remove all the address data from the file where code =~ /^000/ (there are none in the example data below). I need to reproduce that data 'as is', so I need to honour the tag structure, although the order of the tags doesn't need to be honoured. I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart but I haven't been able to get the results I want. My best effort is below (with XML::Simple). There are a couple of differences ...

Use an XML Schema to validate an XML files that contains includes.
Is there a way to validate an XML file that is made up by including several other XML files using an XML schema?     Yes, you need to set the included schemas with XmlSchema.Includes property. Pls take a look at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.schema.xmlschema.includes.aspxNOTE:If you find my response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site, I am providing this information as a convenience to you.Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore,Microsoft cannot make any...

XMl to XML

How to convert XML file into XML Schema
How to convert XML file into XML SchemaAzharPirana Dargah I am not sure it makes sense to "convert" an XML file into an XML schema. What makes sense and what you can do is "infer" a schema from an XML instance document. Visual Studio can do that for you for example, as can other XML editors. If you want to do it programmatically in the .NET framework then you can do it since .NET 2.0 with the class http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.schema.xmlschemainference.aspxMartin Honnen --- MVP XMLMy blog hi Azhar, Open a xml file uasing Visual Studio. Now yo...

create an xml schema from an xml file
Hello, I need to write an application that uses a xml file that i create and make a xml schema based on that file. I have a seperate company that is sending us the xml file and i want to get the info from the file and put it into a database. However, they need the my schema. I am reading up on how to use the DataSet.Writexml() and DataSet.WriteXmlSchema(). I know that there is some way of getting the data from the xml file using a DataSet, but i dont understand how. Has anyone done something similar to this that could help me at least get started? Thanks Dev Djinnx-Dev DjinnxWeb Develop...

XML Schema and two XML files.
There is the situation... 1.) I have an XML schema file. 2.) I have an XML file that does not conform to the schema file, but contains data that I want to force to conform to the XML schema. So I have a set of XML from point A in it's own particular XML format. Then I have a desired XML format in which I want the XML to conform to. I am just wondering what the best way to implement this is. I figured I could just write a stylesheet that will convert XML A to XML B. Is there a way to use the schema and a mapping scheme through .NET to do this work for me? Thanks in advance ...

XML Schema not Validating XML Fragment
I'm trying to validate the following xml  fragment (Figure A.) against a schema document (Figure B.) that i have created and tested through a seperate XML Validator utility that so i know that the validation works outside of the asp.net code (Figure C.). The validation does return XML exceptions for well-formed stcructure but doesn't return any schema validation exceptions if i force an error in the xml. Any ideas why the XML fragment isn't being validated by the schema??? I've tried just about everything :( ========================= A. XML Fragment to Validate =========...

XML datasource from external website XML file
Hi all i need to extract some data into a page on my website, but the xml file is on different web server, not in our bunch, but out in the ether.is it possible to use this file as a datsource directly, or is there some security issue, and i have to grab it and use it locally...??? the file has been put somewhere it can be accessed with a web browseras this file changes on a daily basis, i would also like to automate the daily retrieval, i'm assuming this is something not too simple either. as you would need a service or something to fire up at a specific time each day?! any he...

how to generate xml schema automatically from any xml file ?
i want to is there any buil in classes by which i can generate xml schema automatically instead of writing xml schema manually. if it is possible then please help me with source code. Hi, xsd.exe tool in the Framework SDK is capable to do this (to certain limit though). See the documentation for it.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU...

Problems writing to an XML file
I'm brand new to using XML (in fact this is my first project), so bear with me, I may need a little hand-holding. I'm trying to create a page which simply adds data to an existing xml file. Ultimately it will add the data from a form, but to keep things simple, I've been simply using pre-defined values. Originally I was able to get the script to write the xml exactly as I needed, however it would simply overwrite the existing file every time it was accessed. This is unacceptable, as it will be used to add data to one file, sort of like a mini database. So after much pain and gnashi...

Web resources about - Validating XML file with XML schema - asp.net.xml-datasource

Talking to police about Ghomeshi allegations was validating: Decoutere
One of the women accusing former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi of violent behaviour is encouraging other potential victims not to be afraid of speaking ...

Validating Input and Interprocess Communication
Describes techniques to use and factors to consider to make your code more secure from attack.

Validating team-by-team R and RBI predictions for 2012 NL Edition
As I've explained in the first of these articles , I made a few predictions over at dear, departed fantasy blog RotoHardball during the last ...

"It is important not to create a precedent validating the prohibition of the sale of any object of a ...
"... regardless of the culture concerned... Our goal has always been to showcase Hopi culture and make it accessible to the largest number of ...

Validating the Donald
Validating the Donald by digby In Salon today , I wrote about the right wing media's immigration backlash strategy by validating Donald Trump's ...

Validating your marketing audience
... enjoyed this, please share it with your network! Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn ? Get daily updates now: The post Validating ...

Validating Albert Einstein, physicists make major discovery about the early universe
In the beginning there was the Big Bang. What we know about this time is that the universe was extremely hot, dense and almost uniform; it was ...

Validating Architecture through LINQ Query
... is simple enough to get validated at a glance. But at a glance is not enough. What about defining custom rules that take care of validating ...

From Data to Action – Best Practices for Validating and Optimizing Your Digital Campaigns - comScore ...
In this webinar, comScore Senior Industry Analyst Jason Patterson explores how you can use comScore's validated data to optimize and improve ...

TDD of a WinForm app – Part 5 – Validating the account data
In our last post, we worked on allowing our user to enter new accounts – basically making our AddAccountForm usable. We were able to do that ...