Access access

==========
Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks!
==========

Updated 6/29/03
Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to answer some of the questions that might come up.
I'm sure we'll all learn a lot more about the new version in the days to come. ;-)
I hope that folks find this helpful.
-- Mike Pope
ASP.NET User Education

1) The AccessDataSourceControl differs from the SqlDataSourceControl in that it is designed for read-only data binding. The control does not support properties for update statements (UpdateCommand, DeleteCommand, InsertCommand) or the auto-generation properties like AutoGenerateDelete, AutoGenerateUpdate, and AutoGenerateInsert that are available on the SqlDataSourceControl. The runtime properties CanUpdate, CanInsert, CanFilter,CanSort, CanDelete will always return false.
You can update Access databases, but you cannot do so using the AccessDataSourceControl. Instead, you update in code. The code builders create code for updating Access databases, but there are a few caveats -- see points 3 and 4.

2) If you bind an MxDataGrid control to an AccessDataSourceControl, the grid will not support an EditCommand field. You can add the field to the grid, but when the grid runs, clicking Edit will not put the row into edit mode. The edit link will also not raise an event, so that you cannot capture the click event and perform custom processing. To perform editing with the MxDataGrid and an Access database, add a ButtonField or Hyperlink field to the grid and create custom logic to perform editing with othercontrols or in another page.

3) The code builders for the Access data source will generate what look like named parameters (for example, @EmployeeId). However, the OleDb provider for the AccessDataSourceControl supports only positional parameters (which in other contexts are represented simply as question marks). See also next point.

4) When you use the code builders to create code for updating the database, the SQL Update statement you generate typically takes a form like this:
Update Employees Set FirstName = @FirstName, LastName = @LastName Where EmployeeID = @EmployeeID
The code created by the builder will generate all the correct data elements to perform this update, including parameter objects. However, the parameter objects won't be generated in the correct order. Typically, the parameter for the primary key (@EmployeeID in the Update statement shown in the example) will be generated first. Because parameters are actually position sensitive (see point 3), the code can therefore result in errors or even in database updates that write the data to the wrong place. However, the fix is easy. After generating the code, rearrange the parameter code to match the order of the parameters in the Update statement.

5) You can treate a query stored in the Access database as a kind of stored procedure. In the AccessDataSourceControl, you can specify a query instead of a SQL Select statement by setting the control's SelectCommand property to:
EXECUTE queryName
If the query requires parameters, you can set those in code before binding. For example, imagine a stored query in the Access database named GetSomeEmployees with a Select statement such as the following:
Select LastName, FirstName From Employees Where LastName >= ?
Set the SelectCommand property of the AccessDataSourceControl to:
EXECUTE GetSomeEmployees

In code, add a parameter object to the data source control, passing it a name and a value:
        Sub Page_Load()

If Not IsPostBack Then
AccessDataSourceControl1.Parameters.Add("Letter","P")
DataBind()
End If
End Sub

The name of the parameter (the value represented by "Letter" in the example above) doesn't matter, because the parameters are positional. If the statement has more than one parameter, you can call the Parameters.Add method multiple times, but you'll need to be sure to add values to the Parameter collection in the right order.
You can also use a query as a stored procedure in code. For example, imagine that you have used tools in Access to create a query named GetEmployeeByID, which involves this query:
Select LastName, FirstName From Employees Where EmployeeID = ?
You can execute this query in Web Matrix using code such as the following (interesting lines highlighted):
        Dim ds As New Dataset

Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter
Dim dbconnection As New OleDbConnection()
dbConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Ole DB Services=-4;
Data Source=c:\Northwind.mdb"
Dim selectCommand As New oledbcommand
selectcommand.connection = dbconnection
selectCommand.commandtext = "GetEmployeeByID"
selectCommand.commandtype = CommandType.StoredProcedure
Dim dbParameter_employeeID As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParameter_employeeID.ParameterName = "@Employee"
dbParameter_employeeID.value = employeeID ' Value set elsewhere
selectcommand.Parameters.Add(dbParameter_employeeID)
da.SelectCommand = selectCommand
da.Fill(ds, "Employees")

6) You cannot directly specify a relative path for the location of the .mdb file. The location of the .mdb file is specified in the ConnectionString property, which is handed at run time to the OleDb provider. The provider doesn't understand relative paths. Therefore, to create a relative path, you create some code, something like this:
Sub Page_Load()

Dim DataSource As String
DataSource = Server.MapPath("\data\mydatabase.mdb")
Dim connString As String
ConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=" & datasource
AccessDataSourceControl1.ConnectionString = ConnString
End Sub

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
6/15/2003 6:47:40 AM
asp.net.web-matrix 2237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Thanks for this post, Mike. This is really helpful: just like your book ASP.NET Web Matrix Starter Kit, which I have been enjoying. (I keep pinching myself every time I use Web Matrix: I still can hardly believe Microsoft is giving this tool away for free!) Thanks again for the great help.
0
casty
6/29/2003 3:34:11 PM
AARRRrrggggg! Now I am really lost. I've tried what you've got (I think).  Is there somewhere that I can get a walk through lesson with the new version of WebMatrix. I was able to get an update grid to work (once) but not anymore. I am very confused with the AccessDataSourceControl.

Thanks,
Sean
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison
0
smcmiata
7/7/2003 11:55:32 PM
AFAIK, you can't bind the MxDataGrid to an AccessDataSourceControl and have the grid support updating. (With the SQLDataSourceControl, yes.) What I ended up doing was adding a Hyperlink column that sent the primary key field to another page where I had a traditional edit form -- ie, no in-place editing.

If that's not true, I'd sure love to hear about it from anyone who's gotten it to work! ;-)

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
7/8/2003 1:46:35 AM
Nice update. Have you tried accessing graphs created in access through the web?
0
hoff7551
8/7/2003 10:33:21 PM
Boy, not me. Perhaps someone else has played with that -- ?
-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
8/7/2003 11:04:29 PM
Hi Mike,

I am just starting out to learn asp.net using WebMatrix. It seems that the guided tour is outdated. Some of the pictorials do not match the latest webmatrix version (for example, creating database didn't mention anything about choosing from Access/SQL type).
Anyways, since I am starting out with WebMatrix, I am just wandering if installing Visual Studio .Net is any better?
Pardon my ignorance, i am just a .net newbie
cheers,
mitoshie
0
mitoshie
8/20/2003 8:59:09 PM
My opinion: even though a few sections of the guided tour for Web Matrix are a little outdated (mostly to do with just the data stuff; most everything else is the same), you will still find it to be a great tool for learning ASP.NET. As for features such as Access support, I think that although the screenshots in the guided tour won't match exactly any more, the UI for working with data should be pretty intuitive (at least, that's my opinion) so that you'll be able to work your way through the data-access features of Web Matrix readily.

I'd still recommend playing with Web Matrix. As you know, if you run into difficulties, you can always post questions on this forum. :-)

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
8/21/2003 12:42:56 AM
Hey Mike,

I am abeginner in .NET. I would like to bring the contents of a table in DropDown menu.
using an ACCESS TAble. I am using webmatrix.
teeku
8/28/2003 7:36:20 PM
(Sorry for the delay.)

Try this:
1) Put the .mdb file in the same folder as your .aspx pages.
2) In the Data window in Web Matrix, click the Add Database Connection button in the toolbar and create a connection to the .mdb file in your folder.
3) After the connection has been created, in the Data window open the Tables node for your database and drag the table onto the page. Web Matrix creates an AccessDataSourceControl named AccessDataSourceControl1 and an MxGridView control.
4) Select the MxGridView control and delete it.
5) From the Toolbox, drag a DropDownList control onto the page.
6) Set these properties for the DropDownList:
DataSource: AccessDataSourceControl1
DataTextField: (The database column you want to display in the drop-down list)
DataValueFielsd: (The database column you want to use as value, if this is different than the display field)
7) In the Code tab, add this logic
=======

' VB
Sub Page_Load()
If Not IsPostBack Then
DropDownList1.DataBind()
End If
End Sub
//C#
protected void Page_Load()
{
if (! IsPostBack )
{
DropDownList1.DataBind();
}
}
=======
Let me/us know if this works!

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
8/29/2003 1:26:18 PM
I found this post on a search for "relative path".  Thanks for the information.  It's been very helpful.  Question:  Is using a database query as your AccessDataSourceControl better than using a SELECT statement?  Is there any potential difference in the speed at which the data is accessed?
David
0
dbatten
9/4/2003 1:45:34 PM
Probably no performance difference to speak of. The data source control basically just wraps your SELECT statement and connection information. If you have a non-parameterized query, it's more convenient to use the AccessDataSourceControl because you get certain behavior for free.
-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
9/4/2003 3:00:42 PM
Mike:

regarding your 07/07 (I think that's the date) posting about hyperlinking to
a separate page with traditional edit form for updating the dbase: I would
like to maintain editing capabilities on the MxDataGrid in my WebMatrix
page, if possible.
Is it feasible to just delete the AccessDataSourceControl off the page
and then accomplish the connection in code view? Will that then make the
DataGrid control free of the restriction you mentioned vis-a-vis the
AccessDataSourceControl ?
Thx much,
Reid C.
"Look at it go, Homer; this one's gonna go for miles!"
0
ReidMelSam
9/9/2003 11:44:16 PM
To ReidMelSam:

Yes; at that point, you're basically doing what you'd do with the DataGrid control, which is to say, you lose other advantages of the MxDataGrid control, such as autosorting. :-( Here's a sample page that shows an updateable MxDataGrid going against Access. Sorry about the length. If you look closely, you'll see that most of the code actually consists of the two data methods, one to select data and the other to update it. I used generated Web Matrix code for those. The example uses the Categories table from Northwind.
<%@ Page Language="VB" Debug="true" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="wmx"
Namespace="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.Web.UI"
Assembly="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f763c9966660626" %>
<script runat="server">
Sub Page_Load()
If Not IsPostBack Then
BindGrid()
End If
End Sub
Sub BindGrid()
MxDataGrid1.DataSource = GetCategories()
MxDataGrid1.DataBind()
End Sub
Sub MxDataGrid1_CancelCommand(sender As Object, e As _
MxDataGridCommandEventArgs)
labelStatus.Text = ""
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = -1
BindGrid()
End Sub
Sub MxDataGrid1_EditCommand(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridCommandEventArgs)
labelStatus.Text = ""
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = e.item.itemindex
BindGrid()
End Sub

Function GetCategories() As System.Data.DataSet
Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=c:\test\northwind.mdb"
Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)
Dim queryString As String = "SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName, Description " & _
" FROM [Categories]"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection
Dim dataAdapter As System.Data.IDbDataAdapter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
dataAdapter.SelectCommand = dbCommand
Dim dataSet As System.Data.DataSet = New System.Data.DataSet
dataAdapter.Fill(dataSet)
Return dataSet
End Function
Sub MxDataGrid1_AfterUpdate(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridStatusEventArgs)
Dim categoryID As String = e.item.cells(1).Text
Dim tbCategoryName As TextBox = CType( e.item.cells(2).Controls(0), TextBox )
Dim newCategoryName As String = tbCategoryName.Text
Dim tbCategoryDescription As TextBox = CType( e.item.cells(3).Controls(0), TextBox )
Dim newCategoryDescription As String = tbCategoryDescription.Text
Dim recAffected As Integer = -1
recAffected = UpdateCategories(categoryID, newCategoryName, _
newCategoryDescription)
If recAffected = 1 Then
labelStatus.Text = "Record updated successfully!"
Else
labelStatus.Text = "Problem updating record!"
End If
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = -1
MxDataGrid1.DataBind()
BindGrid()
End Sub

Function UpdateCategories(ByVal categoryID As Integer, ByVal categoryName As String, _
ByVal description As String) As Integer
Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=c:\test\northwind.mdb"
Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)
Dim queryString As String = "UPDATE [Categories] SET [CategoryName] " & _
" =@CategoryName, [Description]=@Description " & _
" WHERE ([Categories].[CategoryID] = @CategoryID)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection
Dim dbParam_categoryName As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_categoryName.ParameterName = "@CategoryName"
dbParam_categoryName.Value = categoryName
dbParam_categoryName.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_categoryName)
Dim dbParam_description As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_description.ParameterName = "@Description"
dbParam_description.Value = description
dbParam_description.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_description)

Dim dbParam_categoryID As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_categoryID.ParameterName = "@CategoryID"
dbParam_categoryID.Value = categoryID
dbParam_categoryID.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_categoryID)
Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try
Return rowsAffected
End Function
</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
<wmx:MxDataGrid id="MxDataGrid1" runat="server"
onafterupdate="MxDataGrid1_AfterUpdate"
OnCancelCommand="MxDataGrid1_CancelCommand"
AutoGenerateFields="False"
OnEditCommand="MxDataGrid1_EditCommand">
<Fields>
<wmx:EditCommandField ButtonType="LinkButton"
UpdateText="Save"
CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="CategoryID" ReadOnly="True" HeaderText="ID" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="CategoryName" HeaderText="Name" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="Description" HeaderText="Description" />
</Fields>
</wmx:MxDataGrid>
<asp:Label id="labelStatus" runat="server"></asp:Label>
</form>

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
9/10/2003 3:58:25 AM
MikePope,

Thanks for the code. It works great with the Northwind db. but when I try to use my db, I have a problem with the following:

Dim recAffected As Integer = -1
recAffected = UpdateCharges(directID, directExplan, directAmount)

I get an "Value of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' cannot be converted to 'String' " error. I took out a "date" field reference, but that didn't help.
Here's my full code:

<%@ Page Language="VB" Debug="true" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="wmx" Namespace="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.Web.UI" Assembly="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f763c9966660626" %>
<script runat="server">
Sub Page_Load()
If Not IsPostBack Then
BindGrid()
End If
End Sub
'-----------------------------------------
Sub BindGrid()
MxDataGrid1.DataSource = GetCharges()
MxDataGrid1.DataBind()
End Sub
'-----------------------------------------
Sub MxDataGrid1_CancelCommand(sender As Object, e As _
MxDataGridCommandEventArgs)
labelStatus.Text = ""
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = -1
BindGrid()
End Sub
'-----------------------------------------
Sub MxDataGrid1_EditCommand(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridCommandEventArgs)
labelStatus.Text = ""
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = e.item.itemindex
BindGrid()
End Sub
'-----------------------------------------
Function GetCharges() As System.Data.DataSet
Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=c:\tande\db\tande4.mdb"

Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)

Dim queryString As String = "SELECT directID, directDate, directExplan, directAmount " & _
" FROM [tblDirectCharges]"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection
Dim dataAdapter As System.Data.IDbDataAdapter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
dataAdapter.SelectCommand = dbCommand
Dim dataSet As System.Data.DataSet = New System.Data.DataSet
dataAdapter.Fill(dataSet)
Return dataSet
End Function
'-----------------------------------------
Sub MxDataGrid1_AfterUpdate(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridStatusEventArgs)
Dim directID As String = e.item.cells(1).Text
Dim directExplan As TextBox = CType( e.item.cells(2).Controls(0), TextBox )
Dim strdirectExplan As String = directExplan.Text
Dim directAmount As TextBox = CType( e.item.cells(3).Controls(0), TextBox )
Dim strdirectAmount As String = directAmount.Text
Dim recAffected As Integer = -1
recAffected = UpdateCharges(directID, directExplan, directAmount)
If recAffected = 1 Then
labelStatus.Text = "Record updated successfully!"
Else
labelStatus.Text = "Problem updating record!"
End If
MxDataGrid1.EditItemIndex = -1
MxDataGrid1.DataBind()
BindGrid()
End Sub
'-----------------------------------------
Function UpdateCharges(ByVal directID As Integer, _
ByVal directExplan As String, ByVal directAmount As integer) As Integer
Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=c:\tande\db\tande4.mdb"
Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)
Dim queryString As String = "UPDATE [tblDirectCharges] SET " & _
" [directExplan]=@Explan, [directAmount]=@Amount " & _
" WHERE ([tblDirectCharges].[directID] = @directID)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

Dim dbParam_Explan As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_Explan.ParameterName = "@Explan"
dbParam_Explan.Value = directExplan
dbParam_Explan.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_Explan)
Dim dbParam_Amount As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_Amount.ParameterName = "@Amount"
dbParam_Amount.Value = directAmount
dbParam_Amount.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_Amount)

Dim dbParam_directID As System.Data.IDataParameter = _
New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_directID.ParameterName = "@directID"
dbParam_directID.Value = directID
dbParam_directID.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_directID)
Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try
Return rowsAffected
End Function
</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
<wmx:MxDataGrid id="MxDataGrid1" onafterupdate="MxDataGrid1_AfterUpdate" runat="server" OnEditCommand="MxDataGrid1_EditCommand" AutoGenerateFields="False" OnCancelCommand="MxDataGrid1_CancelCommand">
<Fields>
<wmx:EditCommandField ButtonType="LinkButton" UpdateText="Save" CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="directID" ReadOnly="True" HeaderText="ID" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="directExplan" HeaderText="Explanation" />
<wmx:BoundField DataField="directAmount" HeaderText="Amount" />
</Fields>
</wmx:MxDataGrid>
<asp:Label id="labelStatus" runat="server"></asp:Label>
</form>

Thanks for any help!
Sean
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison
0
smcmiata
9/10/2003 5:04:25 PM
OOPS! Neeevvver minnnnd! I was calling the db field names when I should have been calling the string names.

It works! WHA-Whooooo
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison
0
smcmiata
9/10/2003 7:38:03 PM
I have been playing with the new build of Web Matrix and find almost everything pretty satisfactory. I have 1 problem that I can't seem to get past:

I have been following the web matrix tour and replacing SQL Server with Access whenever a database is needed. My problem comes in the final section of the tour "Build an End-to-End Application", specifically with the Master-Details Grid Page. Obviously the connection strings for SQL Server and Access are not the same, which is fine because I was able to tweak the strings to get them to work, but I have no idea why I cannot get the details grid to work...
I error on this line:
DetailsGrid.DataSource = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
What needs to be done to this line to make it work properly?
Thanks in advance,
Yarsh
0
yarsh
9/15/2003 10:51:34 AM
I must be a damn fool because even after going thru, what I feel like almost all the posts in the forum, I still can't figure out why my page will not update to my access database file. If someone could help me it would be most appreciated. Everything else on the page works except for the update.

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="wmx" Namespace="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.Web.UI" Assembly="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f763c9966660626" %>
<script runat="server">
sub page_load(sender as object, e as eventargs)
if not page.ispostback then
dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()
end if
end sub

Function getnames() As System.Data.IDataReader
Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=C:\simple.mdb"
Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)

Dim queryString As String = "SELECT [Names].* FROM [Names]"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

dbConnection.Open
Dim dataReader As System.Data.IDataReader = dbCommand.ExecuteReader(System.Data.CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)

Return dataReader
End Function

Function newname(ByVal name As String, ByVal lastname As String) As Integer

Dim queryString As String = "INSERT INTO [Names] ([Name], [Lastname]) VALUES (@Name, @Lastname)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

Dim dbParam_name As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_name.ParameterName = "@Name"
dbParam_name.Value = name
dbParam_name.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_name)
Dim dbParam_lastname As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_lastname.ParameterName = "@Lastname"
dbParam_lastname.Value = lastname
dbParam_lastname.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_lastname)

Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try

Return rowsAffected
End Function

Sub btnsubmit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
newname(tbname.text, tblastname.text)
dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()
End Sub

sub dgnames_edit(sender as object, e as datagridcommandeventargs)
dgnames.edititemindex = e.item.itemindex

dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()
end sub

sub dgnames_cancel(sender as object, e as datagridcommandeventargs)
dgnames.edititemindex = -1

dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()
end sub

sub dgnames_update(sender as object, e as datagridcommandeventargs)
Dim nameID as integer = e.item.cells(2).text

Dim nametextbox as textbox = CType(e.item.cells(3).controls(0), textbox)
Dim nametext as string = nametextbox.text

Dim lastnametextbox as textbox = CType(e.item.cells(4).controls(0), textbox)
Dim lastnametext as string = lastnametextbox.text

Dim UpdateDone as integer = -1

updatedone = updatename(nameID, nametext, lastnametext)

If UpdateDone = 1 then
label1.text = "Update succesfull"

else

label1.text = "Data did not update"

End if

dgnames.edititemindex = -1

dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()
end sub

Function updatename(ByVal iD As Integer, ByVal name As String, ByVal lastname As String) As Integer

Dim queryString As String = "UPDATE [Names] SET [Name]=@Name, [Lastname]=@Lastname WHERE ([Names].[ID] = @ID)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

Dim dbParam_iD As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_iD.ParameterName = "@ID"
dbParam_iD.Value = iD
dbParam_iD.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_iD)
Dim dbParam_name As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_name.ParameterName = "@Name"
dbParam_name.Value = name
dbParam_name.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_name)
Dim dbParam_lastname As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_lastname.ParameterName = "@Lastname"
dbParam_lastname.Value = lastname
dbParam_lastname.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_lastname)

Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try

Return rowsAffected
End Function

sub dgnames_delete(sender as object, e as datagridcommandeventargs)
Dim nameID as integer = e.item.cells(2).text

deletename(nameID)

dgnames.datasource = getnames()
dgnames.databind()

End sub

Function deletename(ByVal iD As Integer) As Integer

Dim queryString As String = "DELETE FROM [Names] WHERE ([Names].[ID] = @ID)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

Dim dbParam_iD As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_iD.ParameterName = "@ID"
dbParam_iD.Value = iD
dbParam_iD.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_iD)

Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try

Return rowsAffected
End Function
</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
<asp:TextBox id="tbname" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="tblastname" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button id="btnsubmit" onclick="btnsubmit_Click" runat="server" Text="Submit"></asp:Button>
&nbsp;
<asp:DataGrid id="dgnames" runat="server" oncancelcommand="dgnames_cancel" onupdatecommand="dgnames_update" oneditcommand="dgnames_edit" AutoGenerateColumns="False" ondeletecommand="dgnames_delete">
<Columns>
<asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="PushButton" UpdateText="Update" CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit"></asp:EditCommandColumn>
<asp:ButtonColumn Text="Delete" ButtonType="PushButton" CommandName="Delete"></asp:ButtonColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="ID" ReadOnly="True" HeaderText="ID"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="name" HeaderText="First Name"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="lastname" HeaderText="Last Name"></asp:BoundColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:DataGrid>
<asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server" font-bold="True" font-italic="True" font-size="Larger"></asp:Label>
<!-- Insert content here -->
</form>
0
lundjeppe
9/24/2003 5:17:56 AM
In the update method, the order of the parameters is wrong. (That is, the order of the parameters was generated wrong, see point 4 in the original post.) Put them in this order -- ID last -- and it will work (works for me, anyway):

   Dim dbParam_name As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter

dbParam_name.ParameterName = "@Name"
dbParam_name.Value = name
dbParam_name.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_name)
Dim dbParam_lastname As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_lastname.ParameterName = "@Lastname"
dbParam_lastname.Value = lastname
dbParam_lastname.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_lastname)
Dim dbParam_iD As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_iD.ParameterName = "@ID"
dbParam_iD.Value = iD
dbParam_iD.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_iD)

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope
9/24/2003 6:01:09 AM
I am trying to update with a datagrid.  Here is my update sub:

Sub dgNews_UpdateCommand(ByVal s As Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles dgNews.UpdateCommand
Dim objCommand As OleDbCommand
Dim strSQLQuery As String
Dim txtTitle As TextBox
Dim txtNews As TextBox
Dim strTitle As String
Dim strNews As String
Dim intID As Integer
strSQLQuery = "UPDATE [zNews] SET [news_title]=@Title, [the_news]=@News WHERE ([znews].[theid] = @ID)"
objCommand = New OleDbCommand(strSQLQuery, objConn)
' Add parameters that our SQL update command needs:
txtTitle = e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(0)
strTitle = txtTitle.Text
objCommand.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Title", OleDbType.VarChar, 49))
objCommand.Parameters("@Title").Value = strTitle
txtNews = e.Item.Cells(2).Controls(0)
strNews = txtNews.Text
objCommand.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@News", OleDbType.VarChar, 49))
objCommand.Parameters("@News").Value = strNews
intID = dgNews.DataKeys(e.Item.ItemIndex)
objCommand.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@ID", OleDbType.Integer))
objCommand.Parameters("@ID").Value = intID
' Open the connection, execute the command, and close the connection.
objConn.Open()
objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
objConn.Close()
dgNews.EditItemIndex = -1
ShowDataGrid()
End Sub

When I click edit it puts the txt boxes correctly for the ones that I have allowed editable but anything I add doesn't get updated to the database. Am I missing something... my brain?
0
aspnoob18
9/30/2003 3:09:28 PM
Here is the solution:

"Also, are you rebinding the DataGrid each time in the page_load? If so, that would explain your not updating anything (technically, you ARE updating, but with the same information that was already in the database...)"
I had it loading each time. I used an if not postback to change it like this:
If Not IsPostBack Then
objConn = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"data source=E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\news\news stories.mdb")
ShowDataGrid()
Else
objConn = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
"data source=E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\news\news stories.mdb")
End If
And now it works...
0
aspnoob18
9/30/2003 6:17:31 PM
I am having problems with the "TagPreFix" and namespaces.  Keep getting the following error:

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
What's up?
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison
0
smcmiata
10/2/2003 12:00:26 AM
Hi

Just upload the Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.dll to the bin directory. You will find this at C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET Web Matrix\v0.6.812\Framework\Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.dll
cheers
source

Best Regards
Primillo
0
Primillo
5/9/2004 7:06:59 AM
Can someone help me with this????

Sub UserClientMxDataGrid_AfterUpdate(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridStatusEventArgs)
Dim userId As String = e.item.cells(1).Text

Dim city As TextBox = Ctype(e.item.cells(6).Controls(0), TextBox)
Dim newCity As String = city.Text
Dim Authorized As String = e.item.cells(11).Wrap
Dim recAffected As Integer = -1
recAffected = UpdateUserDetails(userId, newAddress, newCity, newState, newZip, newEmail, newPhone, Authorized)
If recAffected = 1 Then
labelStatus.Text = "Record updated successfully! Authorized=" & Authorized
Else
labelStatus.Text = "Problem updating record!"
End If
UserClientMxDataGrid.EditItemIndex = -1
UserClientMxDataGrid.DataBind()
BindGrid()
End Sub
Dim Authorized As String = e.item.cells(11).Wrap
* Ihave a problem there, that cell from my MXDatagrid is a checkbox, but when I try to catch that value as I do for the textbox, so I can upgrade my table in the database, that checkbox is returning true all the time , I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because even if in the MXDatagrid the checkbox is uncheked is giving me true. Can someone help me with this?. Thanks
0
jessie2477
7/21/2004 5:05:41 PM
mikepope's code is working perfectly -- how do I add delete record functionality to it? Many thanks
0
quinset
7/27/2004 12:12:44 AM
Here's a page that deletes an item from the Northwind Categories table using an MxDataGrid control.

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="wmx" Namespace="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.Web.UI"
Assembly="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=6f763c9966660626" %>
<script runat="server">
Sub MxDataGrid1_ItemCommand(sender As Object, e As MxDataGridCommandEventArgs)
Dim categoryToDelete As String = MxDataGrid1.DataKeys(e.Item.ItemIndex)
If DeleteCategory(categoryToDelete) = 1 Then
MxDataGrid1.DataBind()
Else
labelStatus.Text = "Error while deleting category " & categoryToDelete
End If
End Sub

Function DeleteCategory(ByVal categoryID As Integer) As Integer
' This function was generated by the Delete data method wizard in code view

Dim queryString As String = "DELETE FROM [Categories] WHERE ([Categories].[CategoryID] = @CategoryID)"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection

Dim dbParam_categoryID As System.Data.IDataParameter = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_categoryID.ParameterName = "@CategoryID"
dbParam_categoryID.Value = categoryID
dbParam_categoryID.DbType = System.Data.DbType.Int32
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_categoryID)

Dim rowsAffected As Integer = 0
dbConnection.Open
Try
rowsAffected = dbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
Finally
dbConnection.Close
End Try

Return rowsAffected
End Function
</script>
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
<wmx:AccessDataSourceControl id="AccessDataSourceControl1"
runat="server"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Categories]"
ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=c:\test\northwind.mdb">
</wmx:AccessDataSourceControl>
<asp:label id="labelStatus" runat="server" text="" />
<wmx:MxDataGrid id="MxDataGrid1" runat="server"
DataSourceControlID="AccessDataSourceControl1" BorderColor="#CCCCCC"
AllowSorting="True" DataMember="Categories" AllowPaging="True"
BackColor="White" CellPadding="3" DataKeyField="CategoryID"
BorderWidth="1px" BorderStyle="None" AutoGenerateFields="False"
OnItemCommand="MxDataGrid1_ItemCommand">
<SelectedItemStyle font-bold="True" forecolor="White"
backcolor="#669999"></SelectedItemStyle>
<ItemStyle forecolor="#000066"></ItemStyle>
<FooterStyle forecolor="#000066" backcolor="White"></FooterStyle>
<HeaderStyle font-bold="True" forecolor="White"
backcolor="#006699"></HeaderStyle>
<PagerStyle horizontalalign="Center" forecolor="#000066" backcolor="White"
mode="NumericPages"></PagerStyle>
<Fields>
<wmx:ButtonField CommandName="delete" text="Delete"></wmx:ButtonField>
<wmx:BoundField DataField="CategoryID" ReadOnly="True"></wmx:BoundField>
<wmx:BoundField DataField="Description"></wmx:BoundField>
</Fields>
</wmx:MxDataGrid>
</form>

-- Mike Pope

ASP.NET User Education

mikepope

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

NetWare Web Access and GroupWise Web Access Interaction
NetWare Web Access is set up with NetStorage, GroupWise Mail, and Change Password gadgets. The GroupWise Mail gadget link brings up GroupWise Web Access (version 6) fine. When I click the Exit button in GroupWise Web Access within the NetWare Web Access frame, I am brought back to the GroupWise Web Access login page. How can I make the exit process close GroupWise Web Access and return me to the NetWare Web Access Home Page? : > How can I make the exit process close > GroupWise Web Access and return me to the NetWare Web Access Home Page? > I don't think y...

web access but no mail access
I al somewhat puzzled by my Internet access : with my Win Vista Home pc I only get page load errors but my email access works. However, with my XP pc bith work. Any idea where to look (or where to ask his kind of question ?) TIA Frank In <news:5pqdnZeQ8Pbq6CjUnZ2dnUVZ_j6WnZ2d@mozilla.org>, ftr <noname@invalid.org> wrote: > I al somewhat puzzled by my Internet access : with my Win Vista Home > pc I only get page load errors but my email access works. However, > with my XP pc bith work. Any idea where to look (or where to ask his > kind of question ?)...

Web Access and Desktop Access
Is it ok to access the same SQL Server Express database with a desktop app and a web app at the same time?  I believe it should be OK, though I've seen here some strange reports about some problems. IMHO it should be OK.Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. (Donald Knuth) Hi we can access both at the same time. But we have to create a two package because when it comes to desktop we will be usind windows authentication and when it comes to web app we will be cross checking the user access. Thanks Venky Hi, If the databas...

accessing MS Access from .net
hi I am accessing ms access data base which has a table called customers. when i try to insert data into the table i am gettign the error like "Operation must use an updatable query" and the line its showing is myOleDbcommand.ExecuteNonQuery() here is my code in page lode event Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) Dim StrConnectString as String Dim strStatement as String strConnectSTring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password='';User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Srinu\WebApplication2\...

Can insert into access using Web Matrix but not in VS.NET???
Hi Senior, I can run my code perfect in Web matrix. It can insert forms' details into MS Access. But how come when i create a new project in VS.NET then add *.aspx into Solution Explorer. It keep comming up with an error : ----------------------------------------------------------------- Server Error in '/ASPNET/931a1' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack tr...

Access denied with non-admin Active Directory account in Windows Server 2003 SP2 accessing .NET 3.5 & AjaxControlToolkit web app
Hi all, This is a little complex problem so please bare with me and please see the attached diagram.Situation: a)Our corporation have 2 networks: 1 with Active Directory and 1 with Private Area Network (PAN).b) I deployed my application to the Application Server running Windows XP Pro SP2, located in PAN. c) In my application, I need to access physical folders and MSMQ service on the File Server (connected both to LAN and PAN with 2 NICs). running Windows Server 2003 SP1 I have shared these folders for everyone in Active Directory and allow everyone to have access to MSMQ on FileServer ...

Accessing Web Access with an AOL Account
I have recently installed Web Access and most users have no problems logging in. Any person that uses AOL with a dial up or DSL account receives an error that the page can not be displayed. I even give them the ip address and it still receives the same error. I call AOL and they have no ideas on what is happening. Any ideas or is there something I did not set? Gary client ip security needs to be turned off. See the many login not current, hash valued changes messages in forum -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.op...

problem when access to admin web access
Hi all I have just installed ifolder server 3.8 on SLES 11 server. i followed all steps of configuration. all seems OK. when trying to access to /admin, it has experience an unexpected error: bellow my adminweb.log: iFolder Web Access has experience an unexpected error.2010-09-16 06:24:16,725 [-1239032944] INFO Login - [172.30.23.119] Login Successful 2010-09-16 06:24:16,994 [-1239032944] ERROR Global - [172.30.23.119] Application Error System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server did not recognize the value of HTTP header SOAPAction: "http://novell.com/ifolde...

accessing linked Access table from .net
We have an access database with a linked table to MYOB through ODBC. The MYOB table appears in access with a green dot indicating it's a linked table. In Access it all works fine. When we try to get at it through .net, it brings up DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED(0x80040E4D) which as far as I can see indicates authentication failed. Any idea what is required to be able to use it from.Net? You might try this stepp0, put in admin for the username and leave the password blank (unless you specified other) Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Components\Databases\Db.m...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

Access and Web Matrix
Rather than load the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Database System onto my PC I want to use Microsoft Access to build databases and work on in Asp.Net Web Matrix 0.6 version (I have XP home). Where do I start? I've tried to open a .mdb access file in web matrix and it jusr comes up as gooblygook code. Any help is much appreciated as I am now at the database stage of my learning curve in asp.net. Thanks Sorry are you asking how to create an access database with webmatrix or how to display the contents in asp.net page?RegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget ...

access and web matrix
Hi - newbie to the forum, to web matrix, and to asp.net so forgive if I'm in the wrong forum. I installed net framework 1.1 and the web matrix. My understanding is that web matrix will read access databases and allow you to make a simple connection to it by using the "data" tab on the upper right hand side. When I clicked on the data tab it said I needed to install the MSDE component, which I did. It will now only ask for a SQL database connection, not an Access Connection. Even the quick walkthrough on the web matrix site said all I had to do was click "new connection" and it would allow ...

trying to access web service but access denied
hi.. I created a mobile application simply sends user name and password to a webservice to be checked whether exist or not but the web service (that runs correctly when I test it from inside of it, returns true if user exists) cannot be called. first i thought (actually my friends said) this is because of the sql server when they convert tables to access their projects run correctly but my problem is not becase of it. what can I do? my auhentication is windows integrated security if necessary.. the error that i get The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied. Descr...

Web resources about - Access access - asp.net.web-matrix

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app

NT mandatory access agreements between mining and pastoral industries a "major leap forward"
Mandatory land access agreements between exploration companies and NT landholders praised as step forward.

It isn’t about assault weapons, it’s about access to guns in the first place
... — they won’t even let the CDC research the problem, fearful that it will lead to unconscionable, unconstitutional restrictions on gun access. ...

BlackBerry pulls out of Pakistan after refusing the governments demands for unrestricted data access
... from the country. This development has come about as a result of Pakistan’s government insisting that BlackBerry grant them backdoor access ...

PS4 developers can now access more of the system’s CPU power
... components as one you buy in 2020. But through software updates, the current generation of game consoles is managing to give developers access ...

Now Can We Blame Political Rhetoric and Easy Access to Guns?
Ok, concern trolls , we now know that Robert Deer, who shot up and attempted to blow up and PP and stated “no more body parts” upon arrest wasn’t ...

Hackers are selling lifetime access to Netflix, HBO Go, Spotify and more for just a few dollars
... your loved ones and friends, but at the end of the day you’re still paying the subscription. However, some people looking for lifetime access ...

"But before he replaced the 'bone flap'—the section of skull that is removed to allow access to the brain—he ...
"Then he reattached it to Egan’s skull, using tiny metal plates and screws. Muizelaar hoped that inside Egan’s brain an infection was brewing.... ...

Pandora CEO: This is why giving people access to music that's 'free all the time' is a problem
... services are driving down music’s intrinsic value by creating a “gray market.” By that I mean a market where listeners can perpetually access ...