Migration from 32 bit application to 64 bit application

 Hi,

I already have existing asp.net site which is running on 32 bit box with 2.0 framework and sql 2005. Can i migrate this application to 64 bit box  with 3.0 framework? What are the benefits i would get in this migration? would there be any performance gains in terms of speed? What kind of issues i can expect to have in this migration

thanks

Prady

0
prady
5/23/2008 9:06:57 AM
asp.net.web-hosting 912 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Not sure if you are going to gain any benefit out of it. It would be a minor performance enhancement (due to 64bit) that might not be visible to users' eyes.

.NET 3.0/Sql Server 2005 are fully compatible w/ 64 bit, so you won't run into any major issue.

Why not migrate to .NET 3.5?

Dev
0
devcalpoly
5/23/2008 10:45:29 PM

thanks dev....

will migrating to 3.5 make any diff?? I am just wondering if there is no performance gain, y attempt to do it in first place :)

0
prady

Application error: Converting 16 bit application to 32-bit application
I am migrating my Pb4 application to PB6. After migration i am trying to run my application but it is giving me the application error and my PB gets closed. Error : pb60.exe Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location> The memory could not be read. What could be the reason for the error. Is it due to the changes of 16bit and 32 bit application or something else. I am not able to trace out what is the reason.What is the mehod of migrating PB4 16-bit application to PB6 32-bit application ? please regenerate a...

16-bit applications versus 32-bit application
Can somebody tell me the different steps I have to take to turn an 16-bit application into a 32-bit application for PowerBuilder 6. Or tell me where I can find useful information on the Internet about this subject . Thanks Fabienne On Wed, 19 May 1999 19:44:20 -0700, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Fabienne Vanhoorebeeck" <f.vanhoorebeeck@worldonline.be> wrote: >Can somebody tell me the different steps I have to take to turn an 16-bit >application into a 32-bit application for PowerBuilder 6. Or tell me where I >can find useful informatio...

32-bit applications on 64-bit Vista...
Building a new system, and was trying to decide between Vista x32 and Vista x64. Will 32b applications installed on a 64b OS be able to benefit from the full 8 GB of ram I intend to install if I go with a 64b OS? In article <gfp7ki$7hn$1@news.grc.com>, no@thanks.com says... > Building a new system, and was trying to decide between Vista x32 and Vista > x64. > > Will 32b applications installed on a 64b OS be able to benefit from the full > 8 GB of ram I intend to install if I go with a 64b OS? The only help they will get is that their data won'...

compile 32-bit application on 64-bit machine
I would like to compile a program to run as a 32-bit application on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64). I tried: cc -m32 temp.c -o temp /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I then tried: cc -m32 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/2.95.3 temp.c -o temp /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux...

Intraweb 32 bits application on a 64 bits computer
I have an Intraweb application developed with windows 32 bits. Will it work with no problem on a 64 bits windows computer? > {quote:title=EKPINI Arsene Mamert wrote:}{quote} > I have an Intraweb application developed with windows 32 bits. Will it work > with no problem on a 64 bits windows computer? Yes. XE2 is the first version of Delphi which allows to generate 64bit-apps. I work with Delphi XE and deploy to Windows Server 2008 (64bit). Also my XE is running on a 64-bit computer... so... YES. Michael > {quote:title=EKPINI Arsene Mamert wrote:}{quote} > I have ...

running 32-bit application with 64-bit engine
We have a 32-bit application which is built with MSVC 2005 and running in Windows environment. Without recompile the application to 64-bit, can I use Sybase SQL Anywhere 64-bit engine to communicate with this application to access data from database? Mei, Yes, a 32-bit client can successfully connect to a 64-bit server. If you have any problems, you should post back here with the details. Regards, Mei wrote: > We have a 32-bit application which is built with MSVC 2005 > and running in Windows environment. Without recompile the > application to 64-bit, can I use Syb...

call 32 bit method from 64 bit application?
Hi to all, I have some questions 1. I have a Bit64 application, if i call the Bit32 application method then will it work or not? 2. I have a bit32 applicaation, if i call the Bit64 application method then will it work or not? 3. What is the negative point while converting Bit32 application into Bit64 application ? 4. I came to know if we are using API calls then we should consider this while convert the application from bit32 to bit64, here i changed the code based on bit64 managed code, now i try to run the applicaton in Bit32 so i change the Active Solution Platform into Any CPU(X32) ...

Running a 32 bit application in 64 bit openSUSE possible?
I am owner of (a very costly) STATA 32 bit license. I tried to run it on a 64 bit openSUSE but currently it does not even start. Question: is it possible to run a 32 bit native application in 64 bit openSUSE? (Under 32 bit it runs very well). Question 2: if possible, what kind of sources do I have to install in order to guarantee compatibility (and that might not be installed by default). System: opensuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5. Software STATA 8.0. Sorry if somewhere someone should have written something about that issue. I tried a search but the keywords would be so generic th...

Application Performance between 32 bit and 64 bit Operating Systems
Hi Our Application is developed under Delphi 5 - Database Interbase. Some of our clients have upgraded their infrastructure to 64 bit Operating Systems. I have testing our application in my test bench with 32 bit and 64 bit platforms simultaneously. The DB size is 15 GB. But, I do not see any difference in the application performance etc. 1. If I compile my code in 64 bit compiler and execute the application, will that make any difference? 2. What tools embarcadero has to measure exact application performance between 32 bit and 64 bit platforms? 3. My application do not run on WIND...

Running 64 bit console application from a 32 bit Delphi GUI app?
I want to improve the usability of a 64 bit command line program so it can be handled by fairly inexperienced users. For this I need a normal Delphi program to have data specifiers etc, which in the end results in a command file for the console application. This is no big deal. The problem is the following: ------------------------------ 1) Can I start the 64 bit console app in Windows7X64 using the CreateProcess API like I am used to for 32 bit applications? Or are 64 bit programs different? 2) And if that is possible, can I somehow snatch what it sends to standard out (the co...

ProcessHandle is always NULL on 64 bit windows 7 for 32 bit application
Hello, I have a 32 bit application that is required to close processes depending upon the situation. The application runs in my corporation and under certain cirmumstances I need to close certain applications on the desktop. So I am using the following to try and obtain the process handle; ProcessHandle = OpenProcess( PROCESS_CREATE_THREAD || PROCESS_VM_OPERATION || PROCESS_VM_WRITE || PROCESS_VM_READ || ...

Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit
Hi, I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays errors such as: "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" or "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch") I checked how those properties are declared on the form where the errors occurred, and all seems ok: - First form (where "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" occurs): ...

BC++ builder application Windows 32 bit XP with AMD 64 bit processor slower
Borland C++ builder 6 applications are damn slower in windows 32 bit XP OS with AMD 64 bit processor than in any 32 bit processor machine. Why is this difference in performance? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Ok, I have a 6000+ AMD dual core and the performance is good but not great. However you have to remember that there are certain performance issues with BCB6 (which I still have) such as the 1. The code insight and 2. General compilation. What I did with the compilation is use TwineCompile. This sped up my compilation by a factor of nearly 5. What used to take 5 minutes to ...

migrating from 32 bit to 64 bit
Of course, we would need 64-bit version of basic software (ff, tb). but, when migrating 32 bit to 64 bit, do all our profile things, our bookmarks in ff, mails and news in tb, etc. can be directly used in 64 bit or some conversion would be required? The way I have changed 32 bit ff/tb's basic profile location to direct them to use my profile at e:, can I do the same in some 64 bit system, when I install it first time? What about add-ons? do all add-ons are already released in 64 bit version and would be installed in 64-bit tb/ff, or some are still 32 bit only and those...

Web resources about - Migration from 32 bit application to 64 bit application - asp.net.web-hosting

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...