Which Validator control to check that an item is selected in a DropDownList?

I have a DropDownList with say the following 5 items:

  1. -- Department --
  2. Operation
  3. Engineering
  4. Sales

Which validator control can help to check that an item other than the 1st one is selected?

Thanks,

Ben

0
Ben

 Just add a normal RequiredFieldValidator but set the InitialValue attribute to the text of the ListItem that you want prevent from being selected.

 Here is an example:

                    <asp:DropDownList AppendDataBoundItems="True" ID="JobTypeDropDownList" runat="server"
                        SelectedValue='<%# Bind("Type") %>' DataSourceID="srcJobTypes" ValidationGroup="JobVacancyGroup">
                        <asp:ListItem>Please select a job type</asp:ListItem>
                    </asp:DropDownList>
                        <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server" ControlToValidate="JobTypeDropDownList"
                            Display="Dynamic" ErrorMessage="Please select a job type" ValidationGroup="JobVacancyGroup"
                            InitialValue="Please select a job type"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator></div>

0
rtpHarry
11/20/2008 10:26:38 AM

Got it. Thanks Smile

0
Ben

Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form
Ive got a dropdownlist control inside a web user control called Entity.ascx. This web user control is on a webform.aspx. In Entity.ascx class I created a SelectedEntity property that returns the selected item in the dropdownlist. Inside webform.aspx when btnGo is pushed I set a string and pass it in the url. I am trying to get the entity they selected via the property (SelectedEntity) inside Entity.ascx. As the SelectedEntity property tries to return the selected item in the dropdownlist I get this error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance...

HOW TO PROGRAMATICALLY SET THE SELECTED ITEM IN A DROPDOWNLIST WEB CONTROL
i have a datagrid and a dropdownlist (that has a value of male & female) as my edititemtemplate. i'd like to have the value of a cell(e.g female) serve as the default value of a dropdownlist after i click the edit button on a datagrid. any idea? try this with your controls Private Sub mygrid_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles mygrid.ItemDataBound If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.EditItem Then Dim mydropdown As DropdownList = CType(e.Item.FindControl("id of your control"), Dropdow...

Validating States dropdownlist with all other validation controls on form?
I have States dropdownlist  starts with "--" ListItem and 50 States. If user select "--" first ListItem, I need validate at client. Right now I am doing code behind side validation. But I have other controls on the form for validation, So I need to validate all at time. on submit button click.   Hi Srikanth, Place a required field for states dropdown list and set the "intial value" property of required field validator to "--". On Submit click validation is done. Above is the solution if i am not misunderstood you.   Regards, Pra...

After selecting DropDownList Item, how to set DropDownList Item so that it corresponds to new selection.
Hi,  I'm having difficulty retaining DropDownList selected item so that it corresponds to the new page that is called when the item is selected. i.e DropDownList contains 4 Items Item1 Item2 Item3 Item4 Each item when selected is bound to a corresponding page. Item1.aspx Item2.aspx Item3.aspx Item4.aspx If the default page is Item1.aspx...if I select Item3 in the DropDownList, the page Navigates to the corresponding page - Item3.aspx.  I want the DropDownList to remain displaying Item3 and not the default Item.  Thank you. for master pag...

validate Textbox in Web User Control from web form?
ASP.NET 2.0 I have a web user control that contains a textbox.  I need to add some validation (like requiredfieldvalidator, comparevalidator, etc). I would normally add the validator to my web user control by placing the validator next to my textbox.  However, I need the validation message somewhere else on my web form, not near the user control. So how would I associate a validation control on my web form with the text box inside my web user control?  Can this be done; any alternatives out there? Thanks!   The error message should occur wherever you place the vali...

How to validate controls on a .NET 2.0 Web user Control
Hi Guys, (ASP.NET 2.0 / C#) I've looked thorugh every post on validating web user controls (and know about Pter Blum's Professional Validation and More package) - but can't seem to get my head around whre to start. I have a web user control, called wucICL.ascx on a we page called AddEditInvestment.aspx.  I would like to validate a couple of DropDownLists (ddlAccounts and ddlContacts) when the Insert and Update buttons are clicked on the AddEdit Investment page. The other controls on the AddEditInvestments page belong to a validation group called All Validators and the DropDownL...

how to populate a dropdownlist control and update the selected item in a gridview control
Hi friends help me with this ... Requirement: 1) i want to populate a dropdownlist(ddl) in a gridview when clicking the edit button of a perticular row by using gridview events and also update the selected item of the ddl to the database. 2) also i don't want to use sqldatasource controls i.e. we should take the help of only gridview events 3) DropDownList will be populated fom TableB: Actions taken: In page_load while binding the grid i m getting the error: Cannot perform '=' operation on System.Int32 and System.String  my fields and datatypes are as follows...

How to use Select case statement to select web form controls
Hi; I don't know why I can't conceptionalize  this but I want to take these if statements and put them in a select case. I am testing for multiple selection from several DDLs on my web form.   If DropDownList1.SelectedIndex > -1 And DropDownList2.SelectedIndex > 0 Then If Me.CheckBox1.Checked Then ObjectDataSource1.FilterExpression = "assignee = {0} AND assignor = {1}" Else ObjectDataSource5.FilterExpression = "assignee = {0} AND assignor = {1}" End If End If If DropDownList1.SelectedIndex > -1 And DropDownList3.SelectedIndex >...

Validation controls are triggereing other forms validation controls?
Can someone please look at this an explain whats going on. When you click on subscribe it triggers my registration form validation controls. I'not sure what "subscribe" is supposed to do, but if you dont want it to cause validation, set the CausesValidation property to false.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Make sure the feild is an email address Hey coolkidsonly, your initial posting didn't show us anything to look at. We are just guessing here without the specifics. However, m...

how can i Fill the controls on web page by selecting value from dropdownlist control.
  Hi,  Currentlly i am working on a web application where i require to fill the web form with the selected item in a text box. for example i have dropdown control named supplier_name, and i want to fill all the other controls values from database on the form when i select name from that supplier_name box,i.e , if i select name1, then related to that name, its code,address ,city should appear on related text boxes. I have done the same in windows application with c# , but the problem with web application(asp.net) is that, when i select Supplier _ it...

Form Validation and DropDownList controls
I have a webform that my users are completing that inserts a record into an SQL database.  I have Validation controls on my fields to catch simple errors in typing and data type mismatches. I have a few DropDownList controls, and in the Databound events for them, I am inserting instructions to the users to "Choose desired value".  Before I perform the Insert to the database, I would like to validate the controls to make sure that they have a SelectedIndex greater than zero (the text I inserted).  If they have not chosen another value, I would like to display an erro...

Web resources about - Which Validator control to check that an item is selected in a DropDownList? - asp.net.web-forms

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support