updating label text based on selected item in a DropDownList (LINQ, VB.NET)

Hello experts,

Quick question for you: I'm writing a form that loads an XML file as an XDocument and populates the items in a DropDownList based on a field in the XML structure.

What I would like to do is change the text on certain labels in the form based on what is selected in the DropDownList. I've got the first part of this down, but am having trouble getting the label text changed. Any assistance you can give me is appreciated.

Here's the XML file:

<Errors>
<SubErrorCode>
<Number>-82</Number>
<ErrMsg>Lorem</ErrMsg>
<WIH>Ipsum</WIH>
<HTF>Dolor</HTF>
<DI>Sit</DI>
<IN>Amet</IN>
</SubErrorCode>
<SubErrorCode>
<Number>-301</Number>
<ErrMsg>Lorem2</ErrMsg>
<WIH>Ipsum2</WIH>
<HTF>Dolor2</HTF>
<DI>Sit2</DI>
<IN>Amet2</IN>
</SubErrorCode>

  And here's the code I'm using:

Protected Sub DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles DropDownList1.SelectedIndexChanged
Dim MyKBS = XDocument.Load("C:\6000.xml")

Dim XmlProc1 = From proc In MyKBS...<SubErrorCode> _
Where proc.<Number>.Value Is DropDownList1.SelectedItem.ToString _
Select proc

For Each item In XmlProc1
lblErrMsg.Text = item.<ErrMsg>.Value.ToString
lblWIH.Text = item.<WIH>.Value.ToString
lblHTF.Text = item.<HTF>.Value.ToString
lblDI.Text = item.<DI>.Value.ToString
Next

End Sub

TIA for your help.

TM

0
tempomental

can u plz send me the code written in page load

0
deval
12/11/2008 5:32:16 AM

As a solution, I wrote a demo for your reference,

Page:

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Collections.Generic" %>
<%@ Import Namespace=" System.Xml.Linq" %>
<%@ Import Namespace=" System.Linq" %>

<script runat="server">

    class Patient
    {
        public string EMail { get; set; }
        public string FirstName { get; set; }
        public string LastName { get; set; }
    }
    class PatietList : List<Patient>
    {
        public void Load(string xmlFile)
        {
            XDocument doc = XDocument.Load(xmlFile);

            var query = from xElem in doc.Descendants("Patient")
                        select new Patient
                        {
                            EMail = xElem.Attribute("EMail").Value,
                            FirstName = xElem.Element("FirstName").Value,
                            LastName = xElem.Element("LastName").Value,
                        };

            this.Clear();
            AddRange(query);
        }
    }
    {
        if (!IsPostBack)
        {
            PatietList patietList = new PatietList();
            patietList.Load(Server.MapPath(@"Patients.xml"));
            ddlDemo.DataSource = patietList;
            ddlDemo.DataTextField = "FirstName";
            ddlDemo.DataValueField = "EMail";
            ddlDemo.DataBind();
        }
    }

    protected void ddlDemo_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        lblMsg.Text = ddlDemo.SelectedItem.Text;
    }
</script>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Demo</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlDemo" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True"
            onselectedindexchanged="ddlDemo_SelectedIndexChanged">
        </asp:DropDownList>
        <asp:Label ID="lblMsg" runat="server" Text=""></asp:Label>
    </form>

Patients.xml:

<Patients>
  <Patient EMail="LeBron@James.com">
    <FirstName>LeBron</FirstName>
    <LastName>James</LastName>
  </Patient>
  <Patient EMail="Kobe@Bryant.com">
    <FirstName>Kobe</FirstName>
    <LastName>Bryant</LastName>
  </Patient>
  <Patient EMail="Allen@Iverson.com">
    <FirstName>Allen</FirstName>
    <LastName>Iverson</LastName>
  </Patient>
</Patients>

Note: I use the refer the following article to get the XML data soruce,

http://www.dev102.com/2008/04/25/linq-to-xml-in-3-easy-steps/

By the way, it seems that you are familiar with VB, please use the following tool to convert the C# to VB if you are not familiar with C#,

http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Hong-Gang Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support
Hong

VB.NET
I have a DataGrid (see code at end of my question) with several dropdownlist controls within TemplateColumns for Editing.  For the first 2 ddls in my grid, ddlMedType and ddlMedicationName, I would like to populate ddlMedicationName based on the selecteditem of ddlMedType, but I don't know how to reference this. Thank you for saving me from confusion!!!! Here is my DataGrid code: NOTE: I've bolded the 2 controls that I need help with -- the rest you can really ignore!! ================== <asp:datagrid id="dgMeds" runat="server" OnEditCommand="dgMeds_EditRow" OnUpdateComm...

Text out of a formview control (label, textbox, dropdownlist) in vb.net
How would I get the text or selectedvalue out of a from view control into the subject of an email? Here is my code Dim message As New MailMessage Dim server As New SmtpClient("mail.domain.com") Dim fromAddress As New MailAddress("Program@domain.com") message.Subject = (Label(frmNewQCI.FindControl("P1CategoryLabel").Text)) message.Body = "New QCI Created" message.To.Add("me@domain.com") message.From = fromAddress server.Send(message)   It is underlining Label and saying   'Label' is a type and cannot be used as an expression.  It's also underlining the rest an...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

VB .net Web Form will not get contents of Text Box
I have created a web form with text boxes that are bound to a DataSet/DataView.  I have created button to navigate up and down the recordset.  That all works fine. I need to have the ability to edit/add text in any of the boxes and then when clicking "Save" button, it would build an UPDATE query to send to the database. When the Save button is clicked, I have coded to DIM a string var (strSQL) to use to build the SQL command.  For some reason, it will only get the text from a text box if the data was pulled the database.  If I add/edit data, then the SQL command will ha...

I have a web site in vb.net 2003 that I what to convert to vb.net 2005. I open my web site in the visual studio 2005 by Local IIS option. I follow the steps of the visual studio conversion wizard.In the conversion report I received the following warning 'Referencepath' settings have not been converted.  Can anyone tell what I have to do to make this warning disappear? Best regards,Sérgio 'Referencepath'  is a property you can set with with VS2003 project file, sothat when ever you to do Add reference this path is serached for class libraries.  We do not  have that ...

using a button (in vb.net) to launch a new page based on dropdownlist selection
Hi, I am creating a page for my students for my personal website. I teach piano, and I would like to set up a site where my students can see assignments/personal grades based on their login. Once they login, my site will launch and on the homepage, there is a dropdownlist of three items representing level of study: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. If the student selects "Beginner" from the dropdownlist, they click the "submit" button and the "Beginner" page will launch listing items unique to them (the unique items are based on their individual log...

Both C# ASPX pages and VB.NET ASPX in single VB.NET Web Applcation Template
Hi.. Is it possible to have both c# pages and VB pages in same Webapplication, what i chose is VB.NET Web application Template. With Thanks, Jaya.... I don't see why you couldn't, but for the sake of consistency I don't know why you would want to do this. When you choose a C# or VB.NET application template(I'm assuming you're using VS or WebMatrix), it simply creates a .aspx file that includes a page directive that specifies the page language. If you created a C# template but want to use VB.Net instead, you need to go from: <%@ Page Language="C#" .... to...

Getting the Selected Item of dropdownlist inside Web User Control on a Web Form
Ive got a dropdownlist control inside a web user control called Entity.ascx. This web user control is on a webform.aspx. In Entity.ascx class I created a SelectedEntity property that returns the selected item in the dropdownlist. Inside webform.aspx when btnGo is pushed I set a string and pass it in the url. I am trying to get the entity they selected via the property (SelectedEntity) inside Entity.ascx. As the SelectedEntity property tries to return the selected item in the dropdownlist I get this error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance...

VB.NET new item behavior in VS.NET
When I create a new class in VS.NET, it gives me a template like this: public class xxx end class How can I make it the same behavior as I got in C#? I mean: namespace defaultnamespace.folderpath public class xxx end class end namespace I can change the template in VS.NET, but can not figure out a way to specify a default namespace, and can not find a way to include the folder path in namespace. Thanks, CalvinLive by a Better Codehttp://www.raincoder.comEqual parts art and scienceEmail: cguo@raincoder.com...

Web resources about - updating label text based on selected item in a DropDownList (LINQ, VB.NET) - asp.net.web-forms

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support