Understanding Web Form System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest

Hello all ...

I'm working with a third-party product that monitors .NET and ASP.NET performance.  This product monitors performance times for "entry points" ... essentially how long it takes to load an .aspx page, etc.  Pretty slick.

The "entry point" they use to start tracking time on a Web page is System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest

I looked this up in the docs, and it says this is one of the features available in ASP.NET that really isn't intended for developers to use.  OK, fair enough.  I as a developer shouldn't use it.  The third-party product is.

My question is:  What operation on a Web Form / Page invokes a ProcessRequest?  I get the impression that a Page_Load() or a button click seems to start the ball rolling.  Is the idea simply that any initial post or post-back from the Web Form to IIS will invoice ProcessRequest?

Thanks Very Very much!!!!

 Doug

0
DB_ASP

DB_ASP:
My question is:  What operation on a Web Form / Page invokes a ProcessRequest?

Hi Doug,

Actually, it's the other way around - ProcessRequest invokes Page_Init, Page_Load, etc. In simple terms, when IIS recieves the HttpRequest it calls the ASP.NET worker process. The ASP.NET worker process instantiates a Page object and then calls ProcessRequest. The ProcessRequest method then calls each of the lifecycle methods in turn.

Steven Bey

Recursion: see Recursion
0
stevenbey
3/21/2007 2:47:53 PM

hello my friend,

A page instance is created on every request from the client, and its execution causes itself and its contained controls to iterate through their life-cycle stages. Page execution begins when the HTTP runtime invokes ProcessRequest, which kicks off the page and control life cycles. The life cycle consists of a sequence of stages and steps. Some of these stages can be controlled through user-code events; some require a method override. Some other stages, or more exactly substages, are just not public, out of the developer's control, and mentioned here mostly for completeness.

hope it helps,

Jessica

Jessica Cao
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Jessica

web web web

System.Web.UI.Page and System.Web.UI.UserControl
the below code works great for myBasePage.cs that inherits from : System.Web.UI.Page and the same code i copied to another base class which is myBaseControl.cs that inherits from : System.Web.UI.UserControlthe below code does not work for myBaseControl.cs and after i look at the MSDN i found that i have to use   SaveViewState()LoadViewStatemy qustion is how do i make my code use the above two methods (SaveViewState & LoadViewState) ? protected override void SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium(object viewState){string key = Request.Url.ToString() + "__VIEWSTATE";System.IO.Memo...

Web forms and mobile web forms

Open web page in IE and populate fields on the form from my web form
To the dot net Knights.  Many humble thanks in advance from a dot net surf. We have an vb application that opens multiple instances of IE object, each to different web pages.  It then takes information from the current record in the app, populates fields on each of the web pages, and them submits the forms.  We are then able to look at the resulting web pages and quickly get the info we're looking for.This prevents us from having to manually navigate to each web site, enter the same information and then wait for the page to open.  If there is ...

'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'
It code worked fine on my PC..but gettting following message on server.... 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'  i checked this thread http://forums.asp.net/p/1123792/1869084.aspx#1869084  but it doesn't help me...  My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." Updating global assembly cache of server, solved this error Some how installation is not updating GAC..so you have to do it manuallyMy Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwis...

Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'
I downloaded the 10618 version and can not get it working.  The sample website that comes with the release gives me this error on every page I try to browse. Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)' Stack Trace: [MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'.]   AjaxControlToolkit.ToolkitScriptManager.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +0   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47&n...

Include web form inside web form
I tried to include an aspx file in a asp.net web form. However, all the web controls (textbox, button) in the included page are not displayed when called. <Form id="Form1" method="post" runat="server"> <%   Response.writeFile("subPage.aspx"); %> <asp:button id="btnPrev" runat="server" text="Previous"></asp:button> </Form> There are some <asp:textbox> controls in the subPage.aspx file, the file itself works fine, but when it is included in the main page, all the controls are not displayed. Please assist. Thanks   u should use iFrame instead...   <iFrame src="subPage.aspx" /> Hi, much more convenient way to have reusability in "page-like way" is to use user controls. Web Forms User Controlshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconwebformsusercontrols.aspThanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

how to open a web page in form of a popup web page
Hello, I have two web pages, let say. Page A : With a Button on it. PAge B: with some info. Now I need to: When I click on the Button of page A.Page B must open in a pop up window.  I can do this but problem is this when I clicked on the button for first time it does not show me any thing and when I clicked on the button for second time then It shows me Page B .My code is as follow:  1 protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) 2 { 3 if (!this.Page.IsPostBack) 4 { 5 6 } 7 else 8...

Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'. error
Hi,  I have used the Animation control of the Ajax Control Toolkit successfully on my local PC. The web site was successfully launched on a third party hosting company. Recently, I had to change to another third party hosting company and now I get the following error on the page where I used the Animation control. All other pages are working fine. Does any one know how I can resolve this error?   Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during t...

Error Message: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock(System.Web.UI.Page, System.Type, System.String, System.String, Boolean)'.
  I have a website which is running on IIS 5.1. Wen ever I am trying to access any page based on .net framework 2.0 I get this error Error Message: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock(System.Web.UI.Page, ...

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ClientScriptManager(System.Web.UI.Page)' is inaccessible due to its protection level
I get this error when I try to add a client script to a page from codebehind. "System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ClientScriptManager(System.Web.UI.Page)' is inaccessible due to its protection level"I get full intellisense when I type the code, but there is a red line under "new ClientScriptManager();"ClientScriptManager ClientScript = new ClientScriptManager();        ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(HttpContext.Current.GetType(), "onLoadCall", "<script language='javascript'></script>"); I...

Web resources about - Understanding Web Form System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest - asp.net.web-forms

OPAC Discovery
Switch Language To switch to a different language, select from the following list: English French Spanish Italian British Bulgarian Galician ...

KURIER
${announcement.token?url} [on line 34, column 112 in volltext_include.ftl]Java backtrace for programmers:freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: ...

Expression response.resultPacket.resultsSummary is undefined on line 6, column 6 in conf/leighton-ho ...
At any one time, Leighton Group companies are undertaking some of the largest and most complex projects across Australia-Pacific, Asia, India, ...

Entertainment - smh.com.au
Skip to navigation Skip to content Help using this website - Accessibility statement JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My ...

China International Electronic Commerce Center 500 Internal Server Error
 Home - Contact Us - Site Map - - Sponsored by : China International Electronic Commerce Center HOT: GDP development bilateral safety increase ...

出错了
出错了ï¼è¯·è”系管ç†å‘˜ã€‚ 错误信æ¯ï¼šOptional long parameter 'tid' is present but cannot be translated into a null value due to being ...

欢迎访问南京医科大学就业指导网
访问出错! 请 返回首页 错误信息 com.wiscom.portal.render.view.ViewException: null; nested exception is javax.servlet.ServletException: Can not get portletWindow.Caused ...

KNOVA Application Error
Error There was an error in processing your request. Please retry the query. Specific Error Message: java.lang.NullPointerException: null ...

banniNation.com Error
in sfw mode images are on queue not logged in login register wiki System Error Oh dear, something went wrong. We likely dropped the servers into ...

Belgacom
java.lang.RuntimeException: Execution exception in com.interwoven.livesite.external.ExternalCall@14899ac[object=com.bgc.group.components.str ...