Unable to debug - Windows Service Start Failure

Hi,

I made a few changes to my Web application today, which has been working fine for several months. I now find that I'm unable to start the application from within Visual Studio .NET 2003. When I try to do this I get the error:-
Windows Service Start Failure
Cannot start service from the command line or debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command.

The project builds without reporting any errors and I am still able to run the application via Internet Explorer (i.e. outside of Visual Studio). I can still run other web applications via Visual Studio. I've tried re-booting the PC, this made no difference. I also checked the Project 'Configuration Properties' in Solution Explorer. I have 'ASP.NET debugging' enabled.
I tried setting a break point in the ApplicationStart event in Global.asax but that was never reached. Any ideas what the problem may be?
I also tried changing the StartUp form to a basic 'text only' webform to ensure that the changes that I had made would never be executed. This failed to run as well and displayed the same error.
I could understand if I was developing a web service, but I'm not. It's a straight forward webforms application.
Any advice welcome.
Andy Ham
0
AndyHam

I managed to resolve this by deleting the old solution, creating a new solution with the same name and reloading the project files.

Andy Ham
0
AndyHam

Error When Debugging (Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewa
Hi, When im going to run asp.net website its giving this error. Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewall.  please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Pubudu  If you are running your site off of a different machine than you are developing on, you need to install and configure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger on that machine. try to change the address from http://localhost to http://yourIP...   i hope it's worked...mak...

Debug console application: Unable to start debugging, the workstation service has not been started
Hi,This is probably a very dumb question, but how do I enable debugging for a console application? I keep getting this error message saying "the workstation service has not been started". How do I start that service?I never had this in VS2003, so I don't really know what to do :)Thanks!Dave All of the forums at forums.asp.net are for topics related to ASP.NET (web sites / web applications). For questions related to windows and console application development we recommend you post at the MSDN Forums.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language...

limited accounts - vs .net 2003
I posted the following on the vsnet.debugging newsgroup five days ago, and haven't heard anything. Does anybody here know the answer? I am a VS .NET, C#, and ASP.NET newbie working my way through "Microsoft ASP.NET Programming with Microsoft Visual C# .NET Step by Step". I installed VS .NET evaluation product as Administrator, and am trying to use it on my Limited account. I am trying to load the Chapter 1 example and run it with debugging (F5). I ran into a series of problems. I was able to solve some -- needed to add my account to the VS Developers and Debugging gro...

Unable to start debugging. Unable to connect to the web server. Verify the web server is running and that incoming HTP requests are not blocked by a firewall.
I have been using ASP.net 2.0 VS 2005 express edition c# on a single machine with IIS 5.1. Browser is MS IE 7.0. There have been no problems until a few days ago.   Debugging works 30% of the time, albeit very slowly. 70% of the time I get this message: "Unable to start debugging. Unable to connect to the web server. Verify the web server is running and that incoming HTP requests are not blocked by a firewall." This happens for old and new websites alike.   I have: stopped firewalls with no impact. de-registered and registered ASP 2....

Unable to start debugging on the web server. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password
Hello,here is the scenario: Development notebook Windows 2003 std 2003 R2 with local AD (pew.com) working. Logged as administrator IIS site set with anonymous and integrated indows authentication Site identification: local IP: 192.168.10.1, port 80, host header myapp.pew.com Custom app domain with network_service identity The site works fine (I set it on trusted sites) The current user (administrator) is on Debug programs policy group. The administrator is enabled as remote debugger. I can run the site without debugging or debugging in attache process mode. But I cannot start in debu...

Urgent!!! Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Catastrophic failure
Hi I have installed win2000 on my machine at work place. When i treid to install IIS, it propmpted me to install Win2000 SP4 before it install IIS. So i downlaoded SP4 from microsoft website and installed it. After that it istalled IIS also. Then i installed VS.net Prof 2002 on the same machine whihc went well. Now if i try to debig my application it gives me the following error "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Catastrophic failure. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?" Does any one have an...

Unable to start debugging on the web server. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
Hi,I'm running a ASP.NET 2.0(.50727)  application on Windows Server 2003 SP1.The application is running as a website in her own AppPool running under his own user account (which is member of IIS_WPG and Debugger Users)Windows Auth is activated for this website (and it's virtual directories)The application works, but when I try to debug it using VS 2005 RC1, I get the following error message:"Unable to start debugging on the web server. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."What may I do wrong?regardsAlex Hello, I ran into this same problem and I found that in my ...

Cannot debug: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The debug request could not be processed by the server due to invalid syntax.
We do not have this problem on any other machine, but one we cannot hit F5 and run, we get the following error: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The debug request could not be processed by the server due to invalid syntax. I'd like to to know what syntax it is talking about. If we manually attach we are fine, but this slows the process for that developer.  I only found one post on this and it wasn't much help as it was speaking to IIS 6.0 and server extensions which this computer does not have.  I cannot duplicate the error on any other machine that is configured the...

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Error "Unable to start debugging on the web server. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. See help for more information."
Hello All,I changed my site from the VS web server to IIS 6 since I need an to test requests from an outside server.  Now I am not able to debug my site.  When I try I get the error message:Unable to start debugging on the web server. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. See help for more information.The only reference I found on the web to this exact error messages was in Russian (I think) so it wasn't much help.I am using Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.ChrisRegards,Chris...

unable to start debugging on the web server. the web server did not respond in a timely manner. this may be because another debugger is already attached to the web server.
When i start debugging, it looks like it's going to work and the VS toolbars change to show the debugging toolbar options. However the cursor changes to the "busy" cursor and vista 'ghosts out' VS 2008 indicates that it's "not responding" in the title bar. The web browser never starts up and if you I it several minutes I get the following error: "Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server did not respond in a timely manner. This may be because another debugger is already attached to the web server." HOWEVER, if you then im...

Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not configured correctly.
Hi everyone, I work on C# project (VS 2008, framework 3.5, default Web Site)  that suddenly started giving me this error : "Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not configured correctly.". The web.config is set : <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">. Any help will be greatly appreciated!     Did you try closing and then re-opening Visual Studio?Allan Horwitz Yes Hi, To better understand your issue, please confirm the following information: If we create a simple ...

Unable to start debugging on the web server. debugging failed because integrated authentication is not ....
And i am not even using integrated authentication, i set it to use forms authentication in the web.config ! i have a sample page that do it in the same page as i do but it works with them i can debug directly in Visual studio 2005 by F5, what could be wrong in my application, i checked the web.config and it is right, please anyone can help? Thanks ensure you use compilation=true in your config file. regards, roni---speed up your applications with distributed caching or replicated caching: http://www.sharedcache.com - its free! No everything was right, except one issue: while openin...

Web resources about - Unable to debug - Windows Service Start Failure - asp.net.web-forms

The Windows Blog

Why is Microsoft monitoring how long you use Windows 10?
The various privacy concerns surrounding Windows 10 have received a lot of coverage in the media, but it seems that there are ever more secrets ...

Windows 10 now on 200 million devices worldwide
Despite some concerns about bugs and even privacy, Windows 10 is proving a huge hit. The company has announced that 200 million monthly active ...

As PCs continue to decline, Microsoft looks to the cloud, pushes Windows 10
Six months after Microsoft released its first-ever free operating system, Windows 10 is now running on more than 200 million devices monthly. ...

Windows 10 could soon be coming to your work computer, which is good news for Microsoft
Microsoft is already convinced that Windows 10 is a big hit , but the true test of that will be if it can convince its most important customers ...

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella explains why it doesn't matter if only a handful of people have a Windows ...
... only one or two of our devices and some other platforms — so be it." For Nadella, this is an important point: The company can work on Windows ...

Microsoft's new tally for Windows 10: 200M
Microsoft today updated its Windows 10 claim, saying that the new operating system is on more than 200 million devices that have been used at ...

Microsoft excited to almost reach iPad levels of success with Windows 10
Microsoft is excited, as it’s almost got as many installs of Windows 10 as there are iPads. Of course, the Redmond-based tech company didn’t ...