Sorting microsoft report on web form from dropdown list values

Hi,

I have a Microsoft report viewer tied into an object data source. The object data source is pointing to a data table .xsd file. I have setup my filtering using parameters in SQL and tying those parameters to controls on my web form to filter the report. That is working fine, however I also want to be able to use a dropdown list to select the fields to sort the report by, as well as what order ascending or descending.  I know you cannot use parameters in the Sort By column in SQL so I have been trying to use the SORT BY CASE statement then pointing those parameters to the dropdowns in my web form, but every time I try to add the ORDER BY CASE SQL gives me an error. Here is my code and the error messages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1    <rsweb:ReportViewer ID="rptviewMain" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana"
2                    Font-Size="8pt" Height="575px" Visible="False" Width="1171px">
3                    <LocalReport ReportPath="Reports\rptEmployees.rdlc">
4                        <DataSources>
5                            <rsweb:ReportDataSource DataSourceId="ObjectDataSource1"
6                                Name="rptEmplyees" />
7                        </DataSources>
8                    </LocalReport>
9                </rsweb:ReportViewer>
10               <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource1" runat="server"
11                   OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}" SelectMethod="GetData"
12                   TypeName="rptEmplyees">
13                   <SelectParameters>
14                       <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="ddlTransType" DefaultValue=""
15                           Name="TransType" PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="String" />
16                       <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="txtDateStart" Name="StartDate"
17                           PropertyName="Text" Type="DateTime" />
18                       <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="txtDateEnd" Name="EndDate"
19                           PropertyName="Text" Type="DateTime" />
20                   </SelectParameters>
21               </asp:ObjectDataSource>
22

1    SELECT     [Trans Type], [First Name] AS FirstName, [Last Name] AS LastName, CONVERT(nvarchar(10),
2                          [Effective Date], 101) AS EffectiveDate
3    FROM         [V Hire]
4    WHERE     ([Trans Type] = @TransType) AND ([Effective Date] > @StartDate) AND ([Effective Date] <= @EndDate)
5    ORDER BY CASE WHEN @SortOrder = 1 THEN FirstName WHEN @SortOrder = 2 THEN LastName ELSE EffectiveDate END
  SQL Execution Error.The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 6 ("@SortOrder"): Data type "0xf0" (User-defined type) has an invalid user type specified.

0
Bacarat

If anyone knows a better way to do this sorting/filtering on my report viewer instead of using parameters in SQL and then tying them into controls on my webform that would be great too Big Smile

0
Bacarat
7/10/2008 11:05:18 PM

Bump, Anyone have any ideas? Big Smile

0
Bacarat
7/11/2008 4:59:15 PM

I know two solutions for your problem.

1. Use SSRS 2005 server mode (not rdlc).

2. Build your own grid (I built one for me).

Alexei Cioina.

http://www.californiadreamhomesandland.com

Alexei Cioina
0
cioina
7/11/2008 6:10:07 PM

When you say build your own grid, do you mean putting this information in a gridview?

0
Bacarat
7/11/2008 6:22:52 PM

No. I meant something else.

Alexei Cioina
0
cioina
7/11/2008 6:50:15 PM

Please explain ?

0
Bacarat

Web forms and mobile web forms

Populating and Implementing 4 Dropdown lists on web form through web service
Hi all, I have a Project due after one week. It is a web service project. I have a Web Form which communicates to the web service and this web service communicates to the database. I have all my SQL statements in the Data Acess Layer to create more secure web service application. The Web service class is also in the Data Access Layer. I need to populates the 4 Dropdown list boxes on the web form from one table. I have Customer table which contains information About CustomerName, CustomerType, Address, City. These 4 colum values should populate the 4 Dropdown lists. And then I need to implem...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Include web form inside web form

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Hello, I have a principal form with a list of information. From this form, I go on an edit forms and I want to control what is done on this form. For this, I want to block the button Windows back on my edit form. Somebody can help me ? Thank you for your help.  Jy. set the Session Variable (with your ID or whatever ) in the Principal Form when user click on Edit then put the One Back Button on your edit form and Redirect the page by using the Session variable value.Please Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet....

Strange output in web form after web form is displayed.
   I have been using a web user control for over a week now with no problems. I am now getting strange output in my web form after my controls display on the page. Below is the strange output. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here? Note I did not include it all because it is quite large.   Request Details Session Id: l5b5vkazucfatba4oliaw1vi Request Type: POST Time of Request: 9/10/2007 4:59:59 PM Status Code: 200 Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Trace Information Category Message From First(s) F...

Web resources about - Sorting microsoft report on web form from dropdown list values - asp.net.web-forms

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message