Programmatically fire a button's click event

I need to fire a button click event during some processing server-side. I do not need to wire up an extra event handler, cannot use JavaScript for this problem, but need to actually fire the click event itself. Is there a way to do this?

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-2
WilliamSnell

You could just call the event handler directly rather than trying to raise the event, but if you do want to raise the buttons server side click event, there a solution in this post: http://forums.asp.net/p/1046550/2682421.aspx

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-2
mbanavige
10/28/2008 10:01:14 PM

ButtonName_OnClick(null, EventArgs.Empty) for C#

ButtonName_OnClick(Nothing, EventArgs.Empty) for VB

If I helped you, please mark my reply as Answer.
-4
ScriptStudios
10/28/2008 10:14:40 PM

Thanks, but that's not at all what I asked. I want to raise the click event during server-side processing. I cannot solve my current problem by wiring up an event handler and calling it from code. I need to actually fire off the click event of a button. The link you provided added handlers to the click events, but didn't (unless I read it wrongly) fire off a click event via code.

I've been all over the web trying to find a straight answer to this, and universally the response is to wire up event handlers. That's perfect in 99% of the projects I work on, but this one is quirky. Basically, I need to do something like this:

if(something is true)   { button1.Click() };

I understand that this is unusual, but can it be done? Also, I need to accomplish this in C#.

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-1
WilliamSnell
10/28/2008 10:15:28 PM

That sample does show how to raise the click event in these 2 lines of code:

Dim c As IPostBackEventHandler = DirectCast(Me.Button1, IPostBackEventHandler)
c.RaisePostBackEvent(String.Empty)

c#

IPostBackEventHandler c = (IPostBackEventHandler)this.Button1;
c.RaisePostBackEvent(string.Empty);

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-1
mbanavige
10/28/2008 10:19:03 PM

I tried putting that code together, but it didn't work for me. I might have done something wrong, however. I have to find the control and assign it to a variable and go from there. Here's what I tried:

LinkButton link = this.FindControl("dummyButton") as LinkButton;

link_OnClick(this, EventArgs.Empty);

I also tried it with

link.Click(this, EventArgs.Empty);

and had similar results. Any ideas?

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-1
WilliamSnell
10/28/2008 10:21:34 PM

WilliamSnell:

Thanks, but that's not at all what I asked. I want to raise the click event during server-side processing. I cannot solve my current problem by wiring up an event handler and calling it from code. I need to actually fire off the click event of a button. The link you provided added handlers to the click events, but didn't (unless I read it wrongly) fire off a click event via code.

I've been all over the web trying to find a straight answer to this, and universally the response is to wire up event handlers. That's perfect in 99% of the projects I work on, but this one is quirky. Basically, I need to do something like this:

if(something is true)   { button1.Click() };

I understand that this is unusual, but can it be done? Also, I need to accomplish this in C#.

if (something is true) { ButtonName_OnClick(null, EventArgs.Empty); }

If I helped you, please mark my reply as Answer.
-3
ScriptStudios
10/28/2008 10:22:49 PM

I didn't realize that RaisePostBackEvent would trigger the click event. I tried it out, and though it compiled, I received this message:

"The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted."

This gets thrown on the last of these three lines:

LinkButton link = this.FindControl("dummyButton") as LinkButton;

IPostBackEventHandler pbh = link as IPostBackEventHandler;

pbh.RaisePostBackEvent(string.Empty);

Just in case it had to be exact, I also replaced the 2nd line with:

IPostBackEventHandler pbh = (IPostBackEventHandler)link;

and received the same error. I know that the two lines in question do the same thing, but I thought it best to rule out simple syntax problems first.

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-1
WilliamSnell
10/28/2008 10:30:11 PM

Is your page processing a PostBack when you are doing this?

What page event are you trying to raise this event from?

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-1
mbanavige
10/28/2008 10:36:56 PM

Basically, the user clicks a button, and some processing gets done. Depending on the result of the processing, I need to fire off a button's click event which is wired to a pop-up window. I cannot just wire up a handler and call the code in this case. This is one of two solutions I'm trying to get working, but in the end I also just want to know if it's possible to fire a click event in the code behind. Not execute a handler, but fire the event.

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
0
WilliamSnell
10/28/2008 10:42:13 PM

when you say the the button is wired to a popuop window, then the click event that opens that popup exists at the client.  This is a different click event from the server side click event.  by the time you're processing server side events in code-behind, the client browser is long gone and you cannot fire the client side click event to open the popup.

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-1
mbanavige
10/28/2008 10:49:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using a work-around that had the code execute in the page's prerender event. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but it worked for the requirements of the current project.

It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-1
WilliamSnell
10/29/2008 4:37:37 PM

I'm doing the same thing. Can you post your solution.

Thanks

-1
KalEl64
11/6/2008 10:08:56 PM

Sure. There are a few different ways to do it, but what I have found best is to place your JavaScript in either an external file with a reference in the web page using it, or to write out the script in the head section of the page, and not in the code-behind. You could do that as well, but using a StringBuilder or some such to concatenate long strings is just ugly. Anyway, you place a literal control in the web page, and in the Page_PreRender event, write out a call to the JavaScript function(s) based on some check you are using. I was using it to provide feedback of user input via an animated div. I also had some problems working with the animation extender in html code, so I wrote it all in JavaScript. It looks like this:

  This part goes in the head section of the aspx web page:

<controls:AnimationExtender
    ID="AnimationExtender1"
    runat="server"
    TargetControlID="form1">
</controls:AnimationExtender>

<script type="text/javascript">
    function Fade()
    {
        var fadeIn = new AjaxControlToolkit.Animation.FadeInAnimation();
        target.style.visibility = "visible";
        fadeIn.set_duration(.5);
        fadeIn.set_target(target);
        fadeIn.setValue(100);
        fadeIn.play();

        setTimeout("FadeOut()", 1500);
    }

    function FadeOut()
    {
        var fadeOut = new AjaxControlToolkit.Animation.FadeOutAnimation();
        fadeOut.set_duration(.5);
        fadeOut.set_target(target);
        fadeOut.setValue(0);
        fadeOut.play();
    }
</script>

 This goes in the body of the web page:

<asp:Literal ID="ScriptsLiteral" runat="server"></asp:Literal>

 In the code-behind file you add a handler for the page's pre-render event like:

if (!IsPostBack)
{
   Page.PreRender += new EventHandler(Page_PreRender);
}

 Your handler will look something like this:

void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    // Show confirmation message
    if (isSuccessful)
    {
        StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
        sb.Append("&lt;script type='text/javascript'>");
        sb.Append("var target = document.getElementById('ProjectConfirmationDiv');");
        sb.Append("Fade();");
        sb.Append("&lt;/script>");

        // Write the value to the Literal control
        ScriptsLiteral.Text = sb.ToString();

        isSuccessful = false;
     }
     else
     {
        // Clear the literal control or your script will run every
        // time the page loads (even if your logic says not to,
        // since the control already contains the call.
        ScriptsLiteral.Text = string.Empty;
     }
}
 And there you are - a call to a JavaScript function from the code-behind.
It's not how hard you push in life, but who you push, that makes the difference between success and running for your life.
-1
WilliamSnell

__doPostBack('btn', 'Click'); not firing button click event

An OnClick event doesn't fire up when a button is clicked in a Tab Panel in a Tab Container in an AJAX Web Form
Hello Post: I would like to enclose the following code so you can analize what is going on: "> " style="vertical-align:top;"> "> "> " CausesValidation="False" onclick="btnOK_Caller_Click" /> " CausesValidation="False" onclick="btnCancel_Caller_Click" /> " style="vertical-align:top;"> "> " WatermarkCssClass="watermarked" Enabled="True"> ">* ...

Problem with clicking enter from a texbox firing default button's click event
So I've been really playing around a lot with ASP.Net 2.0 and ran into an odd problem.I have a GridView displaying a list of customers from Northwind db, and I have the first column of the grid displaying a "select" button.  When this button is clicked, the FormView control on the page switches from Insert mode to Edit mode and displays the selected Customer's information to edit.  All that works fine.But then I created a custom pager User Control that among other things has a small textbox allowing the user to type-in the page number and press enter to display th...

need help, when clicking on button1, it fires the another button's click event?
Hi Guys,I am using asp.net 2 and vs.net 2005.I have a simple page with datagrid and there button -- "Show" "Hide" "Refresh"Click on "Show" to display the datagridClick on "Hide" to hide the datagridClick on "Refresh" to refresh the datagrid data"Show" button and "Hide" button are woking fine.The problem is "Refresh" button and when I click on "Refresh" button, the data refresh is ok. However, the datagrid is dispear. It seems like when clicking on button "Refresh", it fire the "Hide" button's click eventl. Does anyone have this problems before?Thsnks in advance...Justin If the datagrid refresh is ok - how can you tell if the datagrid disappears? Make sure, that, just in case you have hidden the datagrid previously (DataGrid.Visible="False"), then, with the refresh - make sure you set it to "True" What it boils down to is this. Somewhere, you're creating the logic to hide the datagrid, so you've got to find out where that is, because, apparently, it's happening again, when you refresh the dataDavid WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Control Grouper - easily control properties for multiple controls with one control!Calendar Express - The Best HTML Calendar Generator on the web!(Please 'Mark as Answer' when it applies) Thank you for the replay.I found the reason. I made a silly mistake that I did not put these codes in page_load         &n...

Gridview Event : image button's row command fire second time when i do refresh or postback after clicking on imgdelete button immidiatly
 i am getting  imgDelete (image button) row command fire second time when i do refresh or postback after clicking on imgdelete button immidiatly, so how can i prevent(handle) it from firing second time.it is a user control   fun.ascx.vb Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load                       If IsPostBack = False Then            FillGridView()        End If           End Sub   Protected Sub gMain_RowCommand(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewCommandEventArgs) Handles gMain.RowCommand        If e.CommandName = "deleterow" Then            If e.CommandArgument <> "" Then                Dim dt As DataTable = SQLHelper.ExecuteQuery("select strCreatedBy from TblFunquizdetail where ID='" & e.CommandArgument & "'")                If dt.Rows.Count > 0 Then            ...

ISSUE WITH Control's behaviour inisde UPDATE PANEL
 hii evry1..,             i have an strange issue...here..plzz chk it out..                      aspx page:            < asp:UpdatePanel ID="OUpdatePanel" runat="server" >                <ContentTemplate>             &nbs...

want to fire other button's click event
I am developing asp.net web applications and I have several button(btn1, btn2, btn3, btn4, btn5) on my webform which performs various tasks Now I want create temparary button named "TemporaryButton" and what I would like to do is when someone clicks on this button then I want to fire btn1's click event tell me how do I do that urgently required thank u maxmax create another method... have both buttons call this method. Otherwise, just go to the <asp:button...> and add an OnClick="otherbutton_click" and it should fire the other event. you mean just...

Why does a button's click event seem to fire AFTER Page_Load?
Once again - confused. :)  I must be doing something wrong, because I simply can't understand why a page posts before a button could do anything.  I'm trying to do the following concept: I have a gridview, filled with data, and there is one dataset with 2 tables saved in a session variable.  There are 2 link buttons that will change the grid's data source to one of the datatables. Ex. You click one button, the grid fills with datatable #1. You click the other button, the grid fills with datatable #2. I put breakpoints on the Page_Load, and each button's click even...

How to trigger the button's Click event only when user really click it. (Escape the return button)
Hi, I want the user really click the button, then exec the code in btnSubmit_Click event . Not by pushing the <return> button. Does anybody have any idea about this? Thanks Create a separate Subroutine that does all the stuff you need the click event to do (separate from the Button's click event)Then, in the button's click event - call that event. At this point, you can also call it from anywhere else in your application that you'd like.David WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Control Grouper ...

How To Cause a Button's Click Event to Fire from Server Side
I need to cause a Buttons Event to Fire should a criteria Not be met, How can I do this in Server code? Thanks in Advance.Net Web/Software Engineer You can't actually cause the event to fire, but you can certainly call the handler just as you would any other method.Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET   I am a newbie when it comes to Events and Delegates. What I want to do with this cause this event to fire whenever a certain a criteria is met. How do I go about doing this ??? thanks.Net Web/Software Engineer Like I said, you can simply call the event handler like this: ...

(web control button) click event doesn't fire
Hi, I've problem with simple case ... On my web page I have 2 user controls (one is logging control which has button and its onClick event works fine ... next control has also button and its onClick event doesn't fire) all handler are initialize correct and I've no idea why the next buttons (it happens to every next button that I try to insert on web page) bevave like don't have assemblied handlers :/ Anyone had problem like that ? Lukas         paste the code where the handler is getting hooked in the code behind file. It is in the section named Visual Studio gen...

Button's click event handler fires every other time
I have a button in a user control that is contained in a page.  The first time the user control loads, and I fill out my form and click my button, it fires normally.  So I change my input data, and click the button again, and... nothing happens.  The event handler never fires.  The data that I put in the form does disappear though.  So I put data back in the form and click the button again, and it works.  It works every other time I click it.  What is going on?! Here's some code snippets: From my .aspx page (snipped to show just the inclusion of ...

Table Cell click event
Hi, I used to have a custom server control inhirted from TableCell control to implement click event in VS.NET 2003.  When I use the custom control in VS.NET 2003 Web application (dynamically adding to table object), everything works fine.  Below is the code from 2003 project, and everything works good in this way.                 Dim c As New MyCustomTableCell                  c.Width = 200     &nb...

I've added button withevent into row of gridview but when i click it , click event didn't fire.
I've add button withevent in empty row of gridview but when i click it , click event didn't fire. what's worng is it? My code is: Partial Class dc_so Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim WithEvents btnAdd As New Button Dim txbSoId As New TextBox Dim txbCartonName As New TextBox Protected Sub gvSo_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRowEventArgs) Handles gvSo.RowDataBound If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.DataRow Then ' check for empty data If Convert.ToString(DataBinder.Eval(e.Row.DataItem, "so_id")).ToString.Trim = "" Then btnAdd.Text...

Dynamic button's Click Event in Grid view is not getting fired
 Hi All,I am a new bee for ASP.NET.  I have a small library web page, one of the page lists the all available books, when user want to add a book, I create a row with text boxes and Update, Cancel LinkButtons.On clicking on Update button, I am going to add those information into my database. The problem here is for Update, Cancel link buttons Click event is not fired.I have been looking in this forum to get a solution. Nothing worked with my situation.  Thanks in Advance.    protected void btnBook_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)    {  ...

programmatically created button's click event handler not working in updatepanel
i have a hovermenuextender with Target Control - an updatepanel, PopupControl - a panel with button named edit.when i press edit, a textbox, and a button are created programmatically and placed inside the updatepanel.the button's click event has a handler (added programmatically) which shud replace the text in updatepanel with the text in textbox, but this is not working - here's the snippet: 1 protected void OrseButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) 2 { 3 OrseUpdatePanel.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Add(tbox); 4 OrseUpdatePanel.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Add(savebtn); 5 savebtn.Text = "Save"; 6 savebtn.Click += new EventHandler(savebtn_Click); 7 } 8 9 void savebtn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) 10 { 11 string temp; 12 temp = tbox.Text; 13 OrseUpdatePanel.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Clear(); 14 OrseUpdatePanel.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl(temp)); 15 16 //throw new Exception("The method or operation is not implemented."); 17 }   help me on this...i m using vs 2005, asp with ajax, c#    whats hapening is ur manipulating ur button and events at runtime, so when the page postback, the buton info and event is lost, what u need to to is save the whole thing to a viewstate, then on page call back u must recall this viewstate and reassign it to the butt...

How do I invoke the button's click event using using VB.Net
I am programming VB.Net for my ASP.net project. Can anyone tell me how do I code the "button" server control to invoke the click event? I believe one line of VB code would do. It didn't work when I try btnButton.Click() ???? Thank You! You can always call btnButton_Click(Me, EventArgs.Empty) If I remember correctly. This assumes you have a btnButton_Click(sender as Object, e as EventArgs) sub somewhere in your page. Greg You can also do btnButton_Click.PerformClick() !Jarod Sorry... Forget... The PerformClick method exist only for windows forms b...

How do you get TextBox to fire the same event handler as the Button's click handler?
I have a search textbox and a search button in a user control. I want to give the user the option of just pressing the enter key after he/she's done typing the search criteria, and when they do, the button's OnClick handler will fire.. as if they clicked the search button. I've seen in the forums that Page.RegisterHiddenField("__EVENTTARGET",Search_BT.ClientID); will do the trick. I put the above code inside the user control's Page_Load event. It still doesn't work - The page (that contains the user control) still posts back "just for the heck of it"...

DropDownList's SelectedIndexChanged event not firing when form is 'AutoFill'ed
Hi, I have a DropDownList called ddlCountry in ASP.Net page. I have another DropDown called ddlState. Whenever user changes the selection in ddlCountry I populate state drop down with the states in that country. Problem is when I fill the form using AutoFill feature of 'Windows Live Toolbar' the SelectedIndexChanged event for ddlCountry is not fired and the state drop down is not filled. Any help will be appreciated.- SujitDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. The dropdown obviously has AutoPostback as true.- SujitDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. Sorry, I misread your first post. Have you tried the TextChanged event instead of the SelectedIndexChanged event?  sujitm: Hi, I have a DropDownList called ddlCountry in ASP.Net page. I have another DropDown called ddlState. Whenever user changes the selection in ddlCountry I populate state drop down with the states in that country. Problem is when I fill the form using AutoFill feature of 'Windows Live Toolbar' the SelectedIndexChanged event for ddlCountry is not fired and the state drop down is not filled. Any help will be appreciated. Hi sujitm, Could you paste your code ...

Generating a Query String and emailing a link button to populate fields in web form when it's clicked.
Time to time I am receiving emails with a link on it opens a page with my contact info populated on the forms for me to modify the changes and click on confirm button. Can anyone guide me how to achiew this securely using vb.net/Ajax etc. Thank You! Matt... When sending email, dynamically generate a querystring with all the info (you could just use some unique id that you have in the db or send all info via querystring). When link in the email is clicked, you get the variable(s) in querystring that you use to dynamically populate your form.Take a look:http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/QueryString.aspx Please click "Mark as Answer" if you think this post answers your question Thank you for fast response. doknek: When sending email, dynamically generate a querystring with all the info (you could just use some unique id that you have in the db or send all info via querystring). When link in the email is clicked, you get the variable(s) in querystring that you use to dynamically populate your form. Take a look: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/QueryString.aspx ...

Clicked event not fired when clicking on a group's header
Hi, I'm working with PB7.0.1 and I've encountered a strange behavior with group header in a datawindow. I created a tabular datawindow object with a group on a field. In the clicked event of the datawindow control, I get the clicked object using the dwo.name argument. If the clicked object is in the header group, then I get the first row of that group using the GetBandAtPointer() function. Then I initialize a field to 1 for all rows in the selected group. This works fine until I scroll using the thumb. In that case, the header is display in the middle of the datawindow. ...

button's onclick event doesn't fire
in one page, there are many formviews, in one of those formviews, one button in edittemplate, when i click on that button , onclick event of button doesnot fire, i can not find what s the problem, plz help me thanks VISHAL PAREKHVISHAL PAREKH are you using asp buttons or html??  thanks jomish asp button , and one more thing is except this formview's button, all other buttons of other formview's works perfect VISHAL PAREKHVISHAL PAREKH Hey Vishal, 1st you have to find button inside formview, using findcontrol propery of formview.Anuj Patel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...

'When' to register a usercontrol´s button click event handler
I have a webpage with the following code:<asp:scriptmanager id="smgr1" runat="server"></asp:scriptmanager><asp:updatepanel id="up1" runat="server"> <contenttemplate>  <tb:toolbar id="toolbar01" runat="server" />  <asp:textbox id="tbx01" text="ajax now" runat="server" />  <asp:button id="btn01" runat="server" onclick="btn01_Click" /> </contenttemplate> <triggers>  <asp:postbacktrigger controlid="toolbar01" /> </triggers></asp:updatepanel>Where toolbar01 is a user...

Web resources about - Programmatically fire a button's click event - asp.net.web-forms

[...] How to Programmatically Administer Off-Facebook Pages with the Open Graph API - Inside Facebook ...
With the Open Graph protocol that Facebook announced at last week’s f8 conference, any URL can now be treated just like a Facebook Page. After ...

Well, This Is Different Time Inc. Now Selling Print Ads Programmatically
Machines are now selling some print ads at Time Inc. The nation's largest magazine publisher owner of People, Time, Sports Illustrated and InStyle ...

Time Inc. Sells Print Ads Programmatically
Time Inc. is stepping into the future of advertising. The company is now allowing advertisers to use programmatic advertising — the buying and ...

Wesabe makes Financial Data available programmatically
Wesabe has just done what I've been trying to convince banks to do for years. They're making financial data available via a simple POX (Plain ...

MarTech Today: Amplitude’s Compass, deep dive into beacons & most marketers buy programmatically
Here’s our daily recap of what happened in marketing technology, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web. From Marketing ...

IPG Begins Buying Local Broadcast Programmatically: Can Target, Retarget Viewers In Near Real-Time
In what likely is the most significant development yet to bring programmatic media-buying to local broadcast television, Interpublic's Mediabrands ...

Google Launches Cloud SQL API To Allow Developers To Manage Their Databases Programmatically
... to use Google’s admin interface. Today, however, Google is launching the Cloud SQL API . This new REST API will allow developers to programmatically ...

Are Programmatically Purchased Native Ads Native Enough?
It seems everyone and their mothers are pushing native ad units and tools to support them. Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and most recently AOL all ...

AT&amp;T Plans to Sell Linear TV Programmatically
AT&T plans to start selling linear TV ads on cable networks on U-verse and DirecTV via automated software later this year as part of a partnership ...

Most Major U.S. Publishers Now Sell Ads Programmatically
Most major online publishers in the U.S. now sell at least some of their ad space using automated "programmatic" technology, according to new ...