Post from one search box (on master page) to another search page's query and display result.

Hi, I am using the code for a search using index server from this page http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/search.asp  I want to post to the search from a text box on another page.  E.g. I have a navigationg box at the top of my page, included in all my page which has a search box and a submit button.  I want, when a user types in their search term, for the query to be posted to the search page and the results shown in one motion like google for example.  The search offers a number of different search options such as all words, any words etc. I would be quite happy for it to be an all words search and then have an "advanced search" link for the other options.  I am sure other people would have come accross this problem before.  I have tried a couple of different ways.  With asp.net it seemed the result cant just be posted to another page although I could be wrong.  I am new to all this although I am frantically reading up on programming to try and stop sounding like such a lame ass on these forums!

 I have investigated a number of ways of doing this.  I think server.transfer or httpwebrequest.  However, although I might be able to post the info from a text box to another page's text box (e.g. the search page)  I need it to display the results.

Cheers

Andrew

Current project: Cycle round the world
0
ajw

Got round this problem using iframes and target="parent" rather elementary hack seeing as asp.net seems to have a problem with posting from master pages and multiple content pages.   http://forums.asp.net/1409348/ShowThread.aspx#1409348
Current project: Cycle round the world
0
ajw

Doing Postback from master page to page in master's content place holder(search page)
Hi, Currently I am trying to do a postback which returns results. The master page has a textfield and button and the button redirects to the search page.The search page also has a textfield and button and when the button is clicked, the query statements take the input from teh user and looks for results. Currently, A Crosspage postback of master page + other pages in content place holder ------> master page+search page in content place holder works.I am trying to do a postback which returns results in master page+search page which gets its input from the textbox of the master page ...

how can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site
Can you display another web site's web page in your web page without leaving your site? I know you could use a frameset with .asp, but it looks like Visual Web Delevoper 2005 does not have any controls to setup a frameset. Any help, that would point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks Patrick     With screen scraping 4GuysFromRolla.Com: Screen Scrapes in ASP.NEThttp://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/070601-1.shtmlThanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you. This information was a great help!!! Thanks again Patrick...

Fill in web page search box and get resulting web page via code?
Hi all, I have a web page: http://www.national.com/mpf/CO/COP8ACC5.html and I am wondering how I could simulate entering a value in the search text box, pressing search and then getting the resulting web page so I can process the information? I can process the info already if I manually get the source of the resulting web page, but not how to get the page automatically via programming. I have access to Delphi 5 and Delphi 2007 Win32 if this helps... Thanks in advance, Cheers, Paul. "The plastic veneer of civilization is easily melted in the heat of the mome...

Master page's search box' string saved in a Session variable?
Hi everyone.My master page contains a search box and also a search button. I want to retain the string from the search box and use it to retrieve the search results in the SearchPage.I tried to save that string in the Session object (from the buttonclick event) but if my displayed page is the HomePage or any other page but the search one, then the string doesn't get saved and when the button's postback loads the search page, I get nothing as a result in the gridview.Does anybody know how can I solve this problem?  Hello,MasterPage is treated like a control in the Content Pages...

Use Search button on one page and display results in gridview on second page
Hello! I am wanting to do a search button on website. I have a "Search button" and a textbox where users will enter their information. After they hit the search button, I would like for them to nagviate to the "SearchResults.aspx" page where the results will be displayed in a gridview. I will be ONLY searching on one table called "Requests" where one of the columns is named "Summary"....i just need to search within the summary column basically. How would I go about doing this? Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks :-)"People will mainly...

Search query returns XML results. How do I get the results back to the page that submitted the query or a new page.
Hello,I have a search page with a text box and button. When I search for a keyword, my page sends parameters to a search appliance that returns XML results. How can I get the results back to my search page or some other page on my site and not the search appliance. I know I need xlst to transform the XML results but, how do I get the results back on my site instead of the appliance on by just entering a keyword and clicking on the search button. Thanks for any help! I'm assuming that you are doing a direct form based post to the search appliance which is a service taking a keyword and retu...

Master page search box to other page
  I have a Master page where is searching funtionality. When I search it display the records into repeater.I have other 2 pages (Browse by Name and browse by Author) ; both pages use the master page so that the search textbox and button appear on those pages.   My problem is:  When I browse by Name, I created a A-Z lists there and it display the records, In the mean time when I use that search button it display the data on the same Name.aspx page (with those browse data) .I want to display those data into default.aspx when click the search button even even I open Name.aspx...

Clicking on 'Advanced Search' on Simple Search page does not select the category in advanced page
I noticed the selected category on 'Simple Search Page' does not get transfered to 'Advanced Search Page'. I think it should. Anybody has idea on how I can do this?   Thankssun21170 It's an easy fix.But I think you wrote it backwards, that the category doesn't from Advanced to Search.aspx?Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's the fix. Try this in your page_load section on search.aspx.vb   ElseIf (Not (advParameters Is Nothing) AndAlso Not (advParameters.SearchTerm.Equals(String.Empty))) Then ' carry over just search term as regular search i...

I have made a search box, which works prefectly as I wished in that page, I would like to add the same search box in all other page
 I have made a search box, which works prefectly as I wished in that page, I would like to add the same search box in all other page. I have added the textbox adn all that . Transferred the textbox value to session variable. Made a resposnse.redirect to the target page. But then the grid is not taking the value frmo the session variable. Better say grid is not reacting to the whole linked up scenariio. Could any one help. Thanks in advance.  Digish A D The gridview that you are binding to probably uses a DataSourceObject. The paramater you are passing in to your s...

MASTER PAGE SEARCH BUTTON RESULTS PAGE
I am having a problem with working with a Master Page.  1) I have a Master Page with a search box and button... when i go to the default.aspx page, i click the button that will do a postbackurl to the results.aspx page 2) On the results.aspx page, I have a listview that I want to display the results When I try to do the search from the default.aspx page, the page does not bring the data to the results.aspx page.... when i am at the results.aspx page and i try to search again, it works, but that is only if i run it at the results.aspx page Question.... I want to search fro...

One page/form for collecting user information and displaying 'Thank you' page
Is it possible to write a one page that will collect user input then save it to database and the display a thank you note.   For example (code):  … <form id="form1" runat="server">     <asp:MultiView ID="MultiView1"ActiveViewIndex="0" runat="server">         <asp:View ID="userInput">             <asp:TextBox ID="someUserInput" runat="Server" />         </asp:View>        ...

Web page doesn't show master page's contents
 Hi All!I've designed a master page and after that I added a webpage in my project and mentioned its master page at adding time of the web page mean while adding the web page, I checked the "Select master page" check box and then added the web page after specifying the web page but the web page doesn't show any content of the master page. Here is the code of the web page:Start of code________________________________________________________________________<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="false"...

Need help w/web search form that would create an sql query w/results being shown on a new page in a datagrid
I'm new to ASP (see BIO for my knowledge base).  I'm trying to create a basic e-com site with a search similar to say amazon.com or more applicable to my subject matter http://www.eplans.com.  I don't quite understand exactly how to create a search that will query my sql database and post back matching results to a different page that could then have x items per page with multiple pages. What I do get: I need a form to pick all the search criteria with (I have made this w/CheckBox, DropDownList & TextBox items) I need to create code (pref in C#) to send this info ...

Multiple forms on one page, how do I post on to another page?
I have several submit buttons and text boxes, datagrids, etc. on a single page. I want one particular text box and submit button to POST to another page. Since there is only one form tag with postback, is this possible. I need POST instead of querystring because the string may be long (it's a search field) and the results are too large to fit on the same page. Can I take my text box value and submit that to another page from a page with numerous other postback actions on it? if(youTryToBeSmarter) { i.WillTryToBeNicer(); } You can do a couple of things: (1) Use a non-serv...

Web resources about - Post from one search box (on master page) to another search page's query and display result. - asp.net.web-forms