passing a parameter, user control to user control

There are two user controls on a Web form.

What is the syntax to reference a propertiy on the other user control.
The error message states:
CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Results' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
Source Error:
Line 7: {
Line 8: //Set the department name property of the Results control
Line 9: Results.DepartmentName = DepartmentList.SelectedItem.Text;
Line 10: }
Line 9 needs something different in order to reference this PROPERTY (DepartmentName) on the user control Results.
Can anybody help with the specific answer to this question?
Bill
0
wda

Easiest way is to add the value to the curent context in one user control and retrieve in the other.

User control 1's page load or other event
Context.Items.Add("DeptName", "value")
To retrieve in another control
Context.Items["DeptName"]

or you can use the parent FindControl method to get the another control from the current control
this.Parent.FindControl("Results")
0
aspdotnetv2
7/30/2004 8:42:33 PM
I guess you should use controls id instead of its type. Something like Results1.DepartmentName
Leon Langleyben

MCSD, ASP.NET MVP

Blog
0
llangleyben

Web User Control to Web User Control...

Can we pass a parameter to web forms user control.
hi i want to display the name of the login person in header which iam trying to make it as a user control. Problem is iam not able to get the value which i assigned, User.Identity.Name cannot be used as it inherits from Web.UI.Page. Is there any other way where we can assign value to some variable and that can be used in user control. Kindly be free for more details. Thanks .... My code for User Control is : ===================================================== Public MustInherit Class UC_Header Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl Protected WithEvents lblUCNRI...

UpdatePanel within a web user control resets data of controls outside the user control
Hello, I have a usercontrol on my page which displays a running marquee text. It makes use of an UpdatePanel (within the user control) to refresh the marquee text (within the updatepanel) at periodic intervals. For this I added a timer control and its tick event as an async postback trigger for the UpdatePanel. I have a lot of textboxes and dropdown list boxes (all with runat=server) on the page outside the above user control. These are also contained in different UpdatePanels. Problem is, when the user control does a postback to refresh the marquee text, it causes some of...

User Controls in User Controls?
I have the follow set up and it is throwing an error "Unhandled error loading module" ... is there some trick to this that I don't know?I have a project A that uses controls from project B (project B is just a project with all my user controls used through out other modules).  project A uses user control 1 from project B with out any issues at all - great.  But then I wanted to add user control 2 to user control 1 and that is when I get my error.  In fact I don't even have the user control 2 in user control 1, just when I put the register part into user control 1 is when it al...

user control to user control
I have an aspx page that have a "Register" directive to two usercontrol called rptMaster.ascx and rptDetail.ascx. I'm trying to set up a Master-Detail relationship and wish for the rptMaster.ascx to trigger and event from a dropdownlist and for the rptDetail to be listening for DropDownList event. I believe I have gotten the events part okay with help from this articel http://codeproject.com/aspnet/Page_UserControl.asp but my declaration for a private statement to my rptMaster class is producing an error. I'm using beta 2 of asp.net and I 'm having trouble getting a reference TO ...

User control in a user control
Hello all, I have created a user control with some checkboxes, and public properties to get the values of these checkboxes. I have also created a second user control using the first user control; this second control also access the public properties of the first one. My problem is when I implement the second control in an aspx page, if I click at runtime the checkboxes in the first control, I am able to access its public properties from the methods of the second control but the values of these properties are wrong. while at design time, I do not have this problem. Than...

Persisting data in a web user control, which contains a list of other web user controls.
 Hi All, I have a control I've created, which can have a number of child controls - also user controls - stored as an ArrayList, which can be added wither a design time or programmatically.My problem is when I add to the list programmatically, it doesn't persist them. So if I add 3 child controls in step 1 of a wizard, with the aim that those three will be visible inside the parent in step 3, what happens is that the parent has no child controls and the item count is 0.Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.Code:Parent Control Markup: <%@ Control Language="C#" Auto...

User Control in a User Control
I have a first user control that contain a second user control. If I cahe the first user control can I still dynamically control the second one or it is cached with the first one therefore can not control it anymore? Thanks When your first control is cached, its rendered out and its output is stored in the cache. On every request to the page containing your control that can satisfy it from cache, the output will just simply be inserted - your first control will never be instantiated or run in that case, so the second one wont be either. Hope this helps,Mike VolodarskyProgram Manager...

User Control Within UserControl
If I have a user control A and then inside it a user control B embedded/referenced within it.  User Control A has a panel defined (cpeNewUser) that I want to manipulate from the code behind of User Control B based on some event that happens.So putting this in my code behind of User Control B won't work as it has no idea of cpeNewUser:cpeNewUser.Collapsed = true;So is it because only at runtime they are married up and because of this you cannot access each other's objects at compile time?  How would I get this to work becuase I'm using all user controls inside a AJAX Too...

Web user control inside update panel replace with another web user control
 Hi there. I have a page with a menu. an and then the content. My thing is. That i have the update panel, and inside that i have a regual panel in which i add the Web User Controls i need. Which all works fine. My problem is. That i i have a submit funcion on almoast all the Web User controls. What i would like is that i inside that update panel, can dispose the original Web user Control and then add a response Web User Control. In normal language. Is there a way that i can load one web user control into antoher and then disposose the original? Thanks in advance hello. well, what ...

User Control Passing Data To Another User Control?
I got two user controls in a .aspx page. one user control contains a list of names along with the user id as that listbox .value property. now when the user selects a user a clicks on a command button it needs to send the value of the selected user name to another user control in the same form name shippingInfo; Anyone know how to do this; I keep getting a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message here is the code for the MyContacts control (the one with the user name and user id value) Imports PackageDeliveryVB.ShippingRequestInfo Public Class...

Web resources about - passing a parameter, user control to user control - asp.net.web-forms

Google / Firefox Parameter - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
HS what? www.seroundtable.com/archives/017105.html

Alternatives to boolean parameters