Oracle Database vs Access Database

I am eventually planning on moving from an Access database to an Oracle database. I have no idea how to do this from the beginning. I know they both use SQL statements, so maybe I would just need to mirror an oracle database after my access and change the connection strings? If someone could answer some questions or point me to a post or web link that describes this in good detail1. How much are oracle databases and where would I find one to download?2. How much more can they hold than access databases?3. Will it be easy to move all my data over or would I have to change a lot with my sql statements etc.Thanks!

0
tvb2727

tvb2727:
I am eventually planning on moving from an Access database to an Oracle database. I have no idea how to do this from the beginning. I know they both use SQL statements, so maybe I would just need to mirror an oracle database after my access and change the connection strings?

If you are using all ANSI SQL then there would be no changes for the SQL statements. All that would be required is the connection string. You may also want to consider changing the connection provider and command objects and use something like ODP.NET which is a Oracle connection provider for .NET.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

tvb2727:
How much are oracle databases and where would I find one to download?2. How much more can they hold than access databases?3. Will it be easy to move all my data over or would I have to change a lot with my sql statements etc.Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you chose Oracle? As far as I know they are very expensive depending on licensing and targeted more at enterprise solutions. Being an enterprise database you can throw as much data as you want in them and would not be limited like Access.

Another alternative is to use SQLExpress, it is the free edition of SQL Server and is leaps and bounds better than access. It has also upgrade options to migrate Access to SQL EXPRESS.

0
jimmy
5/1/2009 9:38:12 PM

I chose oracle because you can put as much data on them as possible. Thats the main reason I am wanting to move. I haven't seen much of SQL server. Is that free and do you have a link for that as well? I guess Oracle is not free for a trial version or something?

Thanks.

0
tvb2727
5/1/2009 10:32:04 PM

tvb2727:
I chose oracle because you can put as much data on them as possible. Thats the main reason I am wanting to move.

What is as much data as possible? Are we talking terabytes of data? SQL Server can suit your needs fine unless there is a strong reason to use Oracle like existing Oracle products for integration.

tvb2727:
I haven't seen much of SQL server. Is that free and do you have a link for that as well?

Then your research into the which database to use requires for through. Without knowing your specific requiremnts, it makes more sense to use SQL Server as there are free editions, seamless upgrade from Access, and the level of integration with .NET and MS products.

Here is the free edition of SQL Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/

tvb2727:
I guess Oracle is not free like for a trail or something?

There is a free version of Oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

It is up to you to decide which DB to use based on your own requirements

0
jimmy
5/2/2009 12:40:32 AM

thank you for your comments. Right now its deff not terabytes. Your information will help out though. Thanks

0
tvb2727

how to access other database in this database ?

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

C#.NET WEB APPLICATION

visual web developer 2005 database cant access database now!!!
I downloaded vwd 2008 and vb2008 amd sql server 2008 and now i cant access the database in my wdv 2005 i get this  This Server version is not supported. You must have microsoft Sql Server 2005 Beta 2 or later What do I need to do to get my vwd 2005 working  ...

Linking Web Form + MS ACCESS Database
I don't know if this is possible, but does anyone know if it's possible to create a web form linked a long with a Microsoft Access database. Say I'm filling out an online application, and if I submit that form, the MS Office database automatically updates itself with my information, so I can just download the database off the server later and read it from MS Acess rather than the web. Is this possible? Yes, it's certainly possible, and not too difficult. Check out this link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnofftalk/html/office12062001.aspHope it helps.My Bl...

Please help updatae to database not working... Oracle and web form
I am very frustrated with my code for updating an oracle database it is coming up witht hte error of  ORA-01008: not all variables boundI have deleted my other parameters for updating to see if I can pin oint the issue and now I am down to one parameter in the update and it still has the error when trying to executenonquery... Please help I figured it out I used the wrong provider.... in my connection...

DataList syntax using VS.NET C# with an Access database
Can someone please point me in the direction of documentation of the correct steps and syntax for use of a datalist to get records from an Access table. It appears there is a huge amount of information on all of the data controls but I need to understand how to use it from within a code behind page created witih Visual Studio.Net 2003. I find it interesting that Microsoft, supposedly the creator of Visual Studio.Net 2003 and the C# programming language support ASP.NET very strongly but apparently ignore the users of a core development environment they are pushing on developers, namely ...

How to create database and run it in Web Project Setup (VS.NET 2003)
I already create a Web Setup Project by VS.NET 2003. And I have some script files (*.sql) for creating database in SQL Server. How can I use it. I want the Web Setup Project creates for me a new database using script files (*.sql). It's like the Rainbow Portal Setup (sourceforge.net) or the instalation of ASP.NET forums. Can everyone help me ? I'm confused. Do you mean you want to create a database using scripts everytime you create a new project in Visual Studio? If that's it, look at this article on altering Enterprise Templates. Even if you don't use Enterprise Templates, it expl...

Permission problem with access database using vb.net web service
Hi all,I wrote a simple web service that has two public methods. It uses Access database. As long as the codes are accessing the database read only, it is fine. The methods can query data without having any problem. But when it comes to writing some data to database, I get "use an updatable query" error, which means the database is read only. But it is not read only because aspx pages can write data to it without having any problem. The folder and file permissions for database file is correct. When i googled the issue i found out that web services acce...

fail to show report from oracle database using VS.NET 2003
Hi To be precise I want to show reports from the oracle database in Web project. I am using Visual studio 2003 with windows xp sp pack 1 and IExplorer sp. Following is the problem. Kindly respond me soon. I am facing problem to view the report. Actually the report picks the data from oracle 8i database but it failed to show in browser. The icons and gifs of crystal reports even they are not visible. The report successfully connects to oracle but afterwards it fails to show any results. Only a blank page appears with crosses on the gifs of crystal report logo. Haroon how r you co...

Web Form does not accept (single quote character) when saving to Access Database
ASP.net 1.1 with VBDatabase: MS Access When saving Text to a datbase via web forms I get an error if the text contains the character (single quote) Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ' How can I solve this? ValidateRequest="false" add this attribute in page register tag of .aspx page. If you still get the problem post the SQL query Watch The true story of internet ||Yet another forum |||I'm big fan of Open source flash chart for .net very very simple I n t e r ...

Access forms vs vb.net forms
I have to do an windows application for an access database, which currently had access forms. I am trying to convince doing it in vb.net. I know I can do much better froms or front end with VB.net. I am not sure how to convince my boss or client. Thanks If you want info on Windows Applications try www.windowsforms.net. Here's how to convince them, if they are tight about money: vb.net = Only need one license, for you the programmer, which you may already have access = need an access license for every person that uses the program (shush, don't tell them about access runtime) I...

Writing a Web Application that can use any database. i.e. Access, SQL Server, Oracle
Hello, I am in the beginning phase of converting a large ASP web application to ASP.NET and would like to do it as right the first time, which brings me to the following questions. I was reading the SqlDataSource control would work for any database product for which there is a managed ADO.NET provider.  I have never been a fan of data controls and would prefer to dynamically code the SqlDataSource. Our current system uses an Access database. We have talked about migrating to SQL Server but at this time the decision has been made to continue to use the Access database.&nbs...

What good is the file system web server in VS.NET 2005 if your database is on a remote box?
What's confusing about the new way of developing ASP .NET 2.0 apps is that if you are developing it on your local filesystem, and while the special local web server lets you run your code as if it were running on an IIS installation, what happens if your app needs to do queries against a database that's on a remote box, one that is not even on your network?In this case, how do you setup your project? Using HTTP and IIS I would imagine? And if doing this, the debugging feature will handle the debugging remotely? I maintain my own Web site as local file system Web with connection to remote S...

Web resources about - Oracle Database vs Access Database - asp.net.web-forms

ERISA and All Claim databases
... laws, on the books in 18 states, requiring self-insured employers to report data about the prices they pay to “all payer claims databases.” ...

Sanders’ campaign looses access to N.H. Democratic voter database - The Boston Globe Sanders’ campaign ...
... the presidential campaign of US Senator Bernie Sanders has been denied access to the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s valuable voter database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Over 680TB of data exposed in MongoDB databases
There are at least 35,000 publicly accessible and insecure MongoDB databases on the Internet, and their number appears to be growing. Combined ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

MacKeeper Leak Highlights Danger of Misconfigured Databases
The Shodan port-scanning service finds at least 35,000 MongoDB databases accessible without a password.

OracleVoice: Oracle Challenges SAP On In-Memory Database Claims
Companies that run SAP’s applications should know that most of those applications can perform much better on Oracle Database than on any other ...