Long processes

If an operation runs when a user clicks a button on an aspx page and it takes say 1 hour, will the browser and/or the aspnet process time out?  and if so, can I stop it from timing out?
0
jerchap

You would need very very patient users first, second you need to set the session timeout to 60, 20 is the default.

Sam
Sam Cromer
Senior .NET Developer
0
scromer
12/3/2003 7:41:30 PM
you need to set Script timeout as well.
0
rox
12/5/2003 11:21:40 PM
> If an operation runs when a user clicks a button on an aspx page and it takes say 1 hour, will the browser and/or the aspnet process time out?

hell yes. if the script timeout is huge, then the HTTP connection will time out anyway, killing the process. If you're looking at a process this size, ASP.NET is not a suitable way to run it. I recommend using a background service monitoring an MSMQ queue (or a custom queue). The ASP.NET page just acts as a front-end for the queue, releasing the page quickly. The background process then deals with the processing as necessary.
ASP.NET is fundamentally unsuited to long-running processes, as is 'classic' ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, JSP etc, in their standard form.
I've personally done 25 minute operations by using a WSH script (which is now a full-blown executable) running at cheduled intervals in Windows Task Scheduler, which then handles all the jobs in my 'queue' SQL Server table. It takes a fair bit off effort, but it works.
RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadable

Jason Brown - MVP, IIS
0
Atrax
12/6/2003 5:43:02 AM
Another very cool way of handling this is a "OneWay" XML Web Service. Basically, you can start the (long) service from your .ASPX page, and your .ASPX page can return while the long process continues. A good reference for this can be found at:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/printfriendly?AT=2000042137-20270876-2
The WEB Method attributes you want are:
[SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)]
[SoapRpcMethod(OneWay=true)]

Steve Sharrock

Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

SharkCode.com

AspAlliance Columnist

0
shark

Fire and monitor long running process from Web Form
I have a bit of a delema and was hoping to get some suggestions on how to solve this problem. I need a way of starting a very long running batch process (possibly several hours to complete) from a web form.  What would be the best method of accomplishing this?  Ideally, the end user would be able to monitor the progress of the batch operation from a web form page as well. The long running process that I have does various image and video manipulations and conversions on a group of files on the server (basically preparing them for an automated upload to another website f...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Web forms and mobile web forms

How web pages are processed inside IIS and what are the role of .NET Framework in this process ?
Plz anybody know the concept help me. or direct me with some reference. Hi, u can go through thes links:: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fddycb06.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178138.aspxAlok  Hello,just briefly explained for IIS 6 and worker process mode: http.sys is a kernel driver that actually listens to HTTP requests. Each request is then passed to the application server registered for the requested file extension (e.g. .aspx --> request is passed to ASP.NET). In worker process mode IIS does this by starting a new process (w3wp.exe, if it's...

Long web forms
I'm trying to setup a multiple page web form. Is there an easier way then using hidden fields to move data between pages? Or am I stuck using a hidden field for everything? Thanks (1) sessions if you have too many variables you might consider using... (2) create a temp table ( your own table) and add the data to it on submit and get the variables you want in page load of other forms. once all the add/update has been done, you can write a simple SP to move all the data from the temp table to the actual table. HTH.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*****...

Very long web form
I have a web form that I created using the multiview control.  It has 3 seperate but long views.  I want to send back the information filled in by the end user via email but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.  Is my only option to iterate through all the controls each time the next button is clicked and store the values at that time.  Then when the user clicks on submit cancatinate the values together?   Does anyone have any suggestions?   Thanks Tom HaiMay be you can store the value of the first view 1 in the database..I think you can stor...

Web Form vs. Web Content Form

Web Form Processing
I have a process which captures input in a web form and generates a PDF from this using NFOP. The code for this is below.Imports TheUni.Courses.Booking Imports System.IO Imports System.Xml Imports System.Xml.xsl Imports System.Xml.XPath Imports System.Xml.Serialization Imports org.apache.fop Imports org.apache.fop.apps Imports org.apache.fop.tools Imports org.xml.sax Imports java.io Partial Class tests_progwiz Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Private tempXML As String Private tempFO As String Private tempPDF As String Private temporaryGUID As String Co...

how to process long form
Hi All, I have a web form which has 25+ fields. Should I ame this add product page a multipage form using asp.net wizard control. Can anyone send me a good example of using asp.net wizard control. Regards, Asif Hameed Anyone who can help me with long form? I tried using asp.net wizard control. It has one problem. When I create steps in it, For first step area to right side is less and in next all steps area where I need to put controls is wide. Can you suggest me solution to this with code sample ? Regards, Asif Hameed Check thisWorking with the Wizard Control in ASP.Net 2.0The ASP...

.Net Web Forms
what is the best way to create a multi-page web insurance quote form (similar to Geico) that will insert information into a database? The examples i've seen show one form with a submit button at the bottom. I need to break this form into at least three different aspx or ascx pages. Thanks for the help. I did something similiar since I have like 7 sections to an application. The way I did it was by using the asp:panel control. When the user finished one section and clicks a button it inputs the data into the database and hides the 1st panel and shows the next one. HTH...

Web resources about - Long processes - asp.net.web-forms

Transverse processes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The transverse processes ( la. processus transversus ) of a vertebra , two in number, project one at either side from the point where the lamina ...

CO2 Utilization in Chemical Processes
CO2 capture has to be followed by proper utilization in useful processes. This group shares knowledge about existing techniques in Chemical Processes, ...

SYS Activity Manager for Memory, Processes, Disk, Battery, Network, Device Stat & Performance Monitoring ...
Get SYS Activity Manager for Memory, Processes, Disk, Battery, Network, Device Stat & Performance Monitoring on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Creative Processes in Science and Technology: Insights from - YouTube
Google Tech Talk May 14, 2009 ABSTRACT Creative Processes in Science and Technology: Insights from Visual Arts. Presented by Dr. Julio M. Ottino. ...

9 Successful Executives Share How Business Processes Have Changed In Their Career
Clear, well-thought-out business processes can be the difference between the success or failure of a company.

ANUSA must have processes improved
ANUSA must have processes improved

NBN Co wants block on Telstra disconnection processes
Disappointed by competition watchdog.

Labor says Bali Nine legal processes not done
Labor says the legal processes for the Bali Nine pair in Indonesia should be allowed to run their course.

Processes to find missing children in care not good enough: opposition
Processes to help find missing children in care have been slammed by the state opposition, which labelled them long-winded and not in the best ...

Carers angry at delays for adoption processes in the ACT
 Foster parents and permanent carers have called on the government to speed up legal processes for adoptions in the ACT, as some wait for ...