how to transfer client-side variable to server-side

hi all,

i need just a small hint on how to go on...
i am adding attributes to a rows in a gridview when data is bound

e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", "MySelectedRow.text = '" + e.Row.DataItemIndex.ToString() + "';location.href='admin_contact.aspx'")

this allows me to store the selected row in a hidden field (MySelectedRow). after the page is being resubmitted it resets the value of the hidden field to null. i need to have the value on the server-side.
i prefer not to do the querystring unless you know how to clear the querystring in the address toolbar in page_load script.
thnx for helping
0
oschmidt

> i need to have the value on the server-side

Please see the last example on this page:
How postback works in ASP.NET

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
9/10/2004 12:16:47 AM
thanks a lot.

is it possible to send back the value from the client side to server side by using the eventArgument of __doPostBack, like:
e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", "__doPostBack('GridView1','" + e.Row.DataItemIndex.ToString() + "')")
thanks
oliver
0
oschmidt
9/10/2004 1:25:21 AM
You could do that, but be careful.

The value you place as the first __doPostBack parameter may or may not fire an event in your server side code. And unless you're prepared for this eventuality, your app may not work as you intend.
It would be safer and more flexible to simply use a hidden field, and not fiddle with ASP.NET's postback model. (Unless, of course, you're pretty comfortable doing so.)

Alister
0
SomeNewKid

Server side Variable in client side script
Hello, I want to access the variable defined in the server side script from the client side. Can anyone help out with an example ??? TIA, Rakesh Babaria I think what you do is write is as a java script variable, so something like this: <!--SCRIPT var ls_serverVar ls_serverVar = "whatever"; document.writeln("<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>"); document.writeln("var xyz = " + ls_serverVar); document.writeln("</SCRIPT>"); --> Then in your client script, you'll be able to get XYZ. ...

Passing variable between client side and server side
For example,how do I pass the return value of the confirm("whatever") to the server side? Or the opposite way.  I want to use a cookie to do is. Can some one give me hint.  Much appreciate your help.   Chen  Please "Mark as an Answer" if you think my post had helped you!Thanks. you can use ajax,javascript and cookies also.  Got what you needed. Please mark as answer. In the aspx file: <input type="hidden" id="confirmAnswer" name="confirmAnswer" runat="server"> That adds this to the...

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

server side variables in client side javascript
I want to use an ASP.net variable in client side javascript.In regular asp I used hidden fields.what is the best way to do this in ASP.NET ?thx,Intersee my blog at www.Interdevelopments.com and check the future of open mobile widget solutions at www.glowe.org By and large, I personally still use Hidden fields to store information, that either my Javascript function or my code-behind use.  I barely use the RegisterScriptBlock method(s) and that is only for situations where I want to be really dynamic with the client side functionality.  95% of the time, I can still use a...

differences between server side asynchronous Web methods and client side asynchronous Web methods
Hi,   can anyone expalin what are the differences between server side asynchronous Web methods  and client side asynchronous Web methods in ASP.Net 2.0 ?   any best articles on serverside asynchronous Web methods  ?   Thanks,  hi, check this url, Server-Side Asynchronous Methods for ASP.NET, http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/asyncws.aspx   Calling the Server-Side method asynchronously from Client Script, http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dipenlama22/Callbacks07182006093320AM/Callbacks.aspx...

Accessing Client side variable on Server side (PostBack)
New to ASP.NET. Can anyone tell me how to access client side variable on server side ie. while postback thanks, The best way to access arbitrary clientside values from the serverside is to store the values in a hidden input instead of a variable. How to access the client side variable from the server side variable in case of the htc file. You can use hidden variables. Here's an excellent post that will guide you in the right direction : http://dotnetsavvyblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-access-client-side-control-in.html Hi...The Client side variable's value can be&nb...

Using server side global variable on client side
I have a function which retrieves certain values from ldap server. I have written server side code to get the data. Now I want to show the values on a html form. I tried to create client side variable within server side script and use it but when I start it says Undefined variable as_firstname, if I add <SCRIPT> as_firstname="test" </SCRIPT> after <!--SCRIPT> and --> tag before </HEAD> it displays the value. Can someone say what is wrong in this? My Code is <HTML> <HEAD> <!--SCRIPT import JavaWrapper.ssc; fun...

form double validation- server side and client side
Hi! I would like to make a server side validation after calling a js function that makes the client-side validation. I do not understand couple of things: 1. Do i need a server side button or  a simple HTML submit button in order to call both of the tests? 2. How do i call a server side function which is written in csharp  after i finish my JS validation (the submit  button is calling the JS function for validation first.)- is it possible to call it directly from a js function? 3. I know that my toolbox on asp.net  contains validation controls who probably are b...

Accessing Client side variable from server side code?
Hi,  I am trying to use vbscript to run a process on the client machine. Once that process finishes I want to use the resulting value in my server side code behind file. Does anyone know a way to do this? I know that I can set server side session objects to a client variable by doing something like this: <script language="vbscript" type="text/vbscript">  strSubject = <%=Session.Item("Subject") %> </script>  but I have no idea how to do that in reverse. Thanks!    Filed under: too much coffee.  LOL! ...

Just curious whether anyone has seen a better way to implement the following. It doesn't seem like the best way! What I'm doing is passing in an array of values to the client via server side code. The reason for this is because I'd like the server to do most of the crunch work and then pass the final results to the client. I use the 'onload' event of an image. code behind: imgLoader.Attributes.Add("onload", "Init('Tag1;Tag2;Tag3')") client-side. The page also contains an image called 'imgLoader'. var Entities = new Array(); function Init(s) ...

How to pass a server side string variable to client side
Hi, In my application I want to send(or pass) a server side string variable to the client so that the client side javascript can operate on that string. I am new to ASP.NET. Can anyone please help me with some code snippets? If you allow a postback for this passing, you could store the string in a HiddenField and use javascript to read its value after a post~ If you want it to be more smooth and you are using asp.net 2.0, Script Callback is a good choice, there is a sample at the buttom of this page. Furthermore, some ajax framework will help you to call page method from client esa...

Web resources about - how to transfer client-side variable to server-side - asp.net.web-forms

Client-side scripting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... different and changing content depending on user input, environmental conditions (such as the time of day), or other variables. Client-side ...

Senior Search Manager - Client Side!!
... strategy insight for senior IT management - resources to understand and leverage information technology. Senior Search Manager - Client Side ...

Account Manager - Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!

Media Sales Executive - Client Side!!
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

PPC Paid Search Manager - CLIENT SIDE
Defining Technology for Australia's IT Leaders. PPC Paid Search Manager - SEM - **CLIENT SIDE** Sydney CBD Location Client side!! SEM/PPC/Paid ...

How Basecamp Next got to be so damn fast without using much client-side UI
When we started working on Basecamp Next last year, we had much internal debate about whether we should evolve the existing code base or rewrite ...

Seven Tips for Pitching From the Client's Side of the Table
I had a chance to sit on the other side of the pitch table. Here is what I learned.

Client-side coding: How to prevent malicious use?
Applications that run on a user-controlled device cannot be perfectly protected.

The client side
... regarding the professionals you seek to assist. Even better if you possess that understanding yourself, having worked on the client side. I'm ...

Ecommerce traffic being hijacked by client side malware
According to new research 15 to 30 percent of eCommerce site visitors are infected with Client Side Injected Malware (CSIM) that causes them ...