How to pass data from one control (ascx) directly to another?

Hello,

I have an aspx page that contains 2 user controls (ascx) on it.
the left control is basically navigation hyperlinks, the right control is basically content display depending on what was clicked in the left control.
** trying it this way to avoid using frames **

I was hoping to get some help with was how to pass info to the right control what was selected from the left control (IDs, etc). can you specify a "target" like in frames in the URL of the nav link? not sure how to "call" the right control with data to drive its display.
I'm looking to avoid using the main "page" as the URL in the nav control and then read the query string variables in the content control as I'm trying to avoid doing a full page read/refresh/reload, which leads into my next question...

I'm also looking to have only the right control refresh itself and leave the remainder of the page untouched (as to not disrupt the current state of the nav links control, there is collapsible tree like display there). the nav control is populated by data from a database and fed into a label field (not generated in vb code).
I'm pretty sure the only answer to that question is to use AJAX. so if you happened to know a good link to show how to do this I'd appreciate that too.

thank you for reading this.

0
msimon7

I would try Context.Items[] if I'm understanding you correctly.  That will allow you to load something at a certain level, and pick it up at some other point in the page request.

If you've found this post helpful, please mark this question as answered.
0
Fevir

Passing data from one web form to another
I want to have a web form that passes data to another form. I searched high and low for how to do this and found the following "solutions". 1) Stick the data in a Session variable and then use Response.Redirect or Server.Transfer to go to the new page. Problems: I have avoided using Session so far, and would prefer to keep it that way. Why that is is beyond the scope of this post. Read up on Session if you don't know the reasons. 2) Put the data in the QueryString and use Response.Redirect or Server.Transfer to go to the new page. Problems: I don't want the data to be v...

How To Pass an ItemId from one ascx control to another ascx control in the same page
Hi All, I am new to Asp 2.0. previously i worked on DotNetNuke. now i shifted to this asp 2.0. and here i am developing a site in that site i am using controls just like modules in the dotnetnuke. so i got one doubt here that is in the dotnetnuke if i want to pass an id from one ascx control to another ascx control there i used EditUrl function so it is very simple. but here there is not such a function for navigation from one ascx control to another ascx control. so can any body help me regarding this.Regards,Ram Mohan Rao Adduri,Techinical Associate,eSymbiosisHyderabad.Mobile: 9490118545...

synchronizing chunk of data of one web form for another web form
I'm making a web application. In one web form; i'm taking inputs from user. Now; there is some info given by user in this page which is needed for web form which is going to be displayed next. i want to display that info automatically on that web form so that user doesn't have to re-input that info in this next web form. Info from first page would be inserted into database when user clicks on the submit button. then that next web form would be displayed. and the chunk of info from previous page should be displayed there!!! how can i do this?? cany anybody help?? nobody can help me!! I...

Pass data from Web User Control to Web Form
I have a Web Form that contains a Web User Control. The WUC displays dynamic content. I want to change the TITLE property of the Web Form, based on the contents of the WUC. For example, if the WUC displays information about Horses, I want to change the page title to "HORSES" by passing the string to the parent Web Form. I have tried playing with parameters and such, but I can't remember how I did this in the past. PLEASE HELP!~o0 Spin-Monkey Oo~ The best way to do this is by creating a public property on your web user control and accessing that from your web form. Check ...

How to pass control values from one ascx user-control to another???
Our site is set up using a primary default aspx page that is used as the "base page" for everything. On this page, we dynmaically place various user controls at run-time. This gives us a functionality similar to using frames where the outer-frame actually just sits there while various webfiles are loaded inside of it. Works great except for one thing... trying to figure out the best way to pass control names/values accross user controls. When the same usercontrol is posting back to itself this is a non issue. So far most of our functionality has worked well using the local...

Pass data from one Web Application to another using Web Service
Hello,    I went through an early post of passing data from one Web Application to another. Got hint that its possible using WebServices. Am having data to be passed from one application to another (about 100 fields). For both the applications databases are different. But, Application data between 2 Web Apps is having commonality. So the end user inserting the data in 1st application might want to copy the input data in another application. Can anyone explain or provide sample how to do using Web Service?    Yes, we doing the same thing. First of ...

Passing values from one web control to another.
I'm trying to pass a value from one user control to another. Basically, the first user control selects an id number and then the second user control takes that id number and updates a record in a database. I have the second control set up to accept values using public string idnumber; public string IDnumber { set { idnumber = value; } } The second user control has two buttons that do postbacks, depending on which is clicked, a value is updated in the database identified by this number. The problem I am having is that before I click th...

passing data from user control to web form
I have a user control, with some text boxes. in my webform, I am dynamically loading the control - Dim uc As Control = Page.LoadControl("moreemployers.ascx") ' move control to placeholder. place1.Controls.Add(uc) I am using the following to define the text fields in the user controls. Public Property employername() Set(ByVal Value) txtename.Text = Value End Set Get Return txtename.Text End Get End Property how can I access these variables in the web form? bevbev if y...

Passing Data Between Windows Control And Web Form
Can someone please assist me with an example of how to pass vales between a Windows Control and a Web Form?   My situation is as such: I am hosting a Windows Control in my ASP.NET page. This Windows Control reads a file on the client's local drive which has some authorization information which works. I now want to pass this information from the Windows Control to the Web Form in order to perform some processing. Next I want to be able to pass some information (i.e. textbox value) back to the Windows Control from the Web Form by a simple button click.Any ideas?Thanks,Alexander 1) Th...

How do you pass data from one web part to another?
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone knows how to pass a "query-form" from one web part (that contains the form) to another web part that will construct a query based on the values of the query-form and display the results. If anyone has an example they could share or point me in the direction of any resources that may help, it would be greatly appreciated :) Cheers,Kevin   Hi Kevin,I haven't put much time in with web parts, but I believe you are looking for something along the lines of the ConnectionProvider and ConnectionConsumer attributes. Please see here to explore ...

Transfering Web Control Data from one page to another
I used the following code to transfer some web control data from Page1.aspx to Page2.aspx. It is successful to get the TextBox.Text over, but the DropDownList data failed to appear in Page2. I wonder what went wrong? Page1.aspx.cs ----------------- public object Dept { get { return ddlDept.DataSource; } } public string Rcp { get { return tbRcp.Text; } } Page2.aspx.cs ----------------- private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { if (!Page.IsPostBack ) { ...

want to call one c#.net function in one user control from another user control
hi i have two user controls info.ascx and personal.ascx i have a function like in info.ascx i have a function like showdetails() {   } now i want to access this function from personal.ascx can i do this ? thanks in advance. shwetaThanksshwetaIn a day when don't come across any problem -you can be sure that you are traveling in wrong path  you should better create a class where you will define the "functions" that you need in both files. declare "static" the function and call it like nameofclass.nameoffunction In a web project you can...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

Web resources about - How to pass data from one control (ascx) directly to another? - asp.net.web-forms

Directly elected mayor of Liverpool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Mayor of Liverpool" redirects here. For this article is about the directly elected executive Mayor of Liverpool City Council, for the ceremonial ...

Mac OS X Users Can Publish To Facebook Directly From Desktops With Moment App
Mac users running OS X now have a way to publish to Facebook directly from their desktops with Tapmates ’ release of its Moment application. ...

Play Games Directly in News Feed
We’re launching the ability for people to try games directly in news feed. Feed gaming enables developers to share a playable version of their ...

Facebook introduces option for SMBs to create ads directly from their pages
... going through the more complex Facebook ad tool, a company spokesperson tells us. Similar to Promoted Posts , these ads are created directly ...

Change the channel directly from Twitter
Today, @Comcast and @NBCUniversal are announcing a partnership with Twitter that lets users tune in to a TV show directly from a Tweet. Comcast ...

1SecMoney - record daily expenses directly from Notification Center (Widget) on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get 1SecMoney - record daily expenses directly from Notification Center (Widget) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Go Directly to Jail (23/366) - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200. This is Today! Entry #23 Mission24 Theme: Guilt Happy Bokeh Wednesday

Suncor CEO writes directly to Canadian Oil Sands shareholders in latest hostile-takeover move
Suncor CEO Steve Williams released an open letter to Canadian Oil Sands shareholders today, urging them to "consider the facts" and accept his ...

A news agency with scoops directly from Islamic State
The agency, Amaq, is not officially part of the Islamic State’s media apparatus — but it functions much that way.

Tina Fey reportedly just paid $9.5 million for an apartment directly above an identical one she already ...
... star, and author reportedly just closed on a $9.5 million deal for a ten-room apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Situated directly above ...