How to handle server events on client side?

Hi,

I would please like to know how a server application can update a browser web client on an intermittent basis without the need for polling by the client?

Is it also possible to update only specific clients?

Thanks.

0
windowsdev

First part of the question, there is no way a server can indpendantly initiate a communication back to the client. Remember - http is a connectionless stateless protocol. Unless you have a client that uses a protocol other than http ( socket based connections for eg: using flash socket api) there is no way you can do this.

Having said that you can always simulate what a server callback will do using client only techniques ( for eg: browser based chat programs like google talk IM ) and yes ofcourse you can have only one client updated.

Let me know if you need further assistance and I will be glad to help.

HTH
Thajeer

"Dont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This marks your thread as Resolved and the community will know you have been helped."
0
thajeer
3/8/2008 9:01:14 PM

Thanks for your very helpful reply.  I had a look at google talk and have read that it works with any client that supports JABBER/XMPP.

Can you please tell me if these are the client only techniques that you are referring to?

0
windowsdev
3/8/2008 10:51:19 PM

Also, are there any .NET libraries that currently support this type of interaction?

0
windowsdev
3/8/2008 11:05:48 PM

I should have been mpre specific when I mentioned google talk, I meant google talk implementation on browser when you access gmail( you can not "talk" only chat).

Yes and the .NET library to look for is ASP.NET 2.0 out of band calls to the web server.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163941.aspx

Even better you can use ASP.NET ajax and use web services.

HTH
Thajeer

"Dont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This marks your thread as Resolved and the community will know you have been helped."
0
thajeer

"Push" messages to Atlas/Ajax Client or Client-side event handling of server messages
What I'm looking for is the ability for the client-side Ajax/Atlas GUI to be able to update itself when events occur on the server. The issue is that the events are triggered from a third party, and aren't triggered by postback. For example, let's say there's a Queue of data on the server, and each time a new item is added to the Queue, I want the client to recognize the addition and display the new item. Right now, the only way I can think of doing this is by setting up an Ajax timer and checking the state of the Queue on every timer tick. While this doesn't cause the page to refresh/postba...

Help with client side events Vs. server side events
Hi, Can someone look as the following script and tell me why marking the check box doesn't generate a client side event eventhough there's: onclick="checkClick()"? marked.  Thanks in advance, Sivan <%@ Page Language="c#" %><HTML> <HEAD>  <meta name="vs_targetSchema" content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"> </HEAD> <body>  <SCRIPT language="c#" runat="Server">  void Page_Load(object s, EventArgs e) {  if (!Page.IsPostBack)  {   Label1.Text = Label...

Start Client Timer from Server Event and start server Event from client event
All of you, I have a big challenge which i'm not able to resolve. I need some experts with samples on this. Situation for a webbased quiz system I have a data set with e.g. 5 questions. The process should be like 1. Load Question 1 from database, there is also a picture and a MP3 sound file 2. I connect the MP3 sound file to a webcontrol I've written to play Mp3 with a flashmovie. 3. Once this mp3 is played (the question is read for people with reading problems) an Event should be raised from the client to the server. 4. The event from 3 should start a Countdown timer (15 se...

web forms with client and server side controls??
Hi, I have a form that has client and server side controls. I have a problem in that any client controls (textbox) within the form runat="server" can not be accessed with client side code. Anyone got any ideas why and what work arounds are possible. Regards, Graham. once a form element is inside a <FORM> tag, you can no longer refer to it by its ID alone. you have to refer to it by formname.elementid or document.all.elementid. use document.getElementById(yourtextboxid) to get a ref to the element in the form. using this allows u to bypass the formn...

Handle client and server side form in same class
I have a login form on my site that is displayed on every page and is therefore a html, not asp.net serverside form (to allow me to have another form on the same page), however the html forms all post to one page, login.aspx which handles the login and redirects the user back to where they came from. This worked fine until I changed the form on login.aspx to a server side form. The codebehind class no longer recieves any values from the form post. I have checked request.form and none of the values are there. All the inputs on the form are named the same on both the html and asp.net form to a...

runat=server and client side event handling
i have a tabstrip control (IE web control) and a web control button (system.web.ui.webcontrols.button) I want to achieve following - when tab number 2 is clicked, i would like to hide this button. I know i ca do this by making AutoPostback=true and handling the SelectedIndexChange() on the server side. But I am would like to know if there is a way to do this using client side code. I would like to avoid one roud trip to server just to hide or show a button. thus - Is it possible to handle the tabstrip's tab click event on the client side script code and show/hide a web control...

differences between server side asynchronous Web methods and client side asynchronous Web methods
Hi,   can anyone expalin what are the differences between server side asynchronous Web methods  and client side asynchronous Web methods in ASP.Net 2.0 ?   any best articles on serverside asynchronous Web methods  ?   Thanks,  hi, check this url, Server-Side Asynchronous Methods for ASP.NET, http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/asyncws.aspx   Calling the Server-Side method asynchronously from Client Script, http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dipenlama22/Callbacks07182006093320AM/Callbacks.aspx...

is it possible to handle event of web control at client side???
is it possible to handle event of web control at client side?? i have tried it on asp:button..... i called a vbscript fucntion on onclick but it dint give me the result..... please help me.............. If you want to handle the processing client-side then don't include the runat="server", you will then be able to call your VBScript function. (Please note that the way to accomplish the same result, via client-side code, is very different and uses different syntax to access the elements and their properties - you can't just put your server-side code in a client-side functi...

is it possible to handle event of web control at client side??
is it possible to handle event of web control at client side?? i have tried it on asp:button..... i called a vbscript fucntion on onclick but it dint give me the result..... please help me.............. How were you trying to call the script? Do you have any code you can post. this can be done, and it isn't very hard. The following assigns a short script to a "cancel edit" button in a datagrid editCancelbutton.Attributes.Add("onclick", "return confirm('Cancel edit and loose changes.' & vbCrLf & 'Are you sure?')") JimMS MVP ASP.NET...

can a server side button handle client events also?
I have a file upload that can take some time. I have an image under it that shows the file is loading, but how do I make it appear only after the uploadfile button is pressed? Thanks Yes, do like this in your server code: UploadButton.Attributes("onclick") = "javascript:document.all.myimage.style.display='inline';" while (!asleep()) ++sheep; Thanks! How does that work wit the image though? Do I use an ordinary img tag, or as:image and set its visibility to false? I only want the image to show after the UploadButton is clicked Thanks again Yes you...

Highlighting web form fields on validation error events (client-side)
Have anybody eventualy did that? This is a nice feature when the web form highlights it's input fields and/or lables for that fields if they are not validated (client-side). Unfortunatly, there is no such build-in functionality in ASP.NET 2.0 validation controls. But i'm quite sure that's it's possible to make on your own, what do you think?Perhaps an additional js script shoud be added on the buttom of the page which will redefine one or more functions of original js code.Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?My LinkedIn Profile - ASP.NET C# Ninja | My News Feeds Turned out that it's quite ...

Client side/server side event race.
 Hi.  I've got a page that 1) Takes some text fields as input2) Does some math calculations on the input (server side via a "calculate" button click)3) Then opens a new window with some detailed information (client side, via a "view report" button click)The server needs to "calculate" before the user can click "view report" so I start with "view report" disabled.  I've got input validation on the "calculate" click, and at the end, I enable the "view report" button.  Everything is working well wi...

Web resources about - How to handle server events on client side? - asp.net.web-forms

Handle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A handle is a part of, or attachment to, an object that can be moved or used by hand. The design of each type of handle involves substantial ...

How Facebook Handles 300 Petabytes Of Daily Data
Facebook offered some insight into how it handles the more than 300 petabytes of data it stores for its 1.19 billion monthly active users , providing ...

How-To: Handle Revoked Auth Permissions
... developers check a user's permissions and prompt that user for any missing permissions. A common question that developers ask is how to handle ...

How Facebook says you should handle a social crisis
... on Facebook. Do NOT delete the complaint. Transparency is so important and other people looking at your response will value how you handle ...

Randall The Handle (@RandallHandle) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Randall The Handle @ RandallHandle ...

You Can't Handle the Creative
... But Reject Creative Ideas" by Jennifer Mueller (UPenn Wharton), Shimul Melwani (UNC) and Jack A. Goncalo (Cornell), they found You Can't Handle ...

Handle: To-do List, Inbox, and Calendar Management all in one on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Handle: To-do List, Inbox, and Calendar Management all in one. ...

Card to Handle - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Richard Moross' photos on Flickr. Richard Moross has uploaded 4187 photos to Flickr.

How To Lose Love Handles Fast - YouTube
Do the 10 minute love handle workout now with a deck of cards to help you lose your loe handles fast @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCVQCXwU2F8 ...

Iron ore now with $US30s handle - but for how long?
After weeks of speculation and amid an extended rout, iron ore is finally trading with a $US30s handle.