GridView Filtering and Searching

Hello Everyone,
i'm having a gridview wich list clients details. i have setup a search text box and a  dropdownlist for filtering. Everything is working except when i try to navigate the next page....i'm getting the filter results and not the search ones....i have created a Hidden control and store the search value... i'm still having problem with this.
Anyone have a solution or run into similar situation?

Cheers
0
lidadil

You will need to store the filtered selectcommand in Session and then reuse this saved selectcommand when postback occurs or the page will default back to you first selectcommand.

Hope it helps

Regards
Jeremy
If this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.
0
jeremyh
7/4/2008 4:22:30 PM

lidadil:
i'm getting the filter results and not the search ones

Hi lidadil,

I think u need to store the value of Textbox though which i can get the search result.

like

HttpContext.Current.Items.Add("txtSearch", txtSearch.Text)

Now, when u postback to other page using Server.Transfer

u can get the SearchTextBox value using

HttpContext.Current.Items.Item("txtSearch")

Similarly,

if u can use DirectCast(PreviousPage.FindControl("txtSearch"), TextBox).Text to get the value of textbox to generate SelectCommand in Next Page.

If i miss understood ur requirement, plz tell me.

Please mark as Answer if it helps u. Thanks!

Parth Patel
Techsture Technologies
Software Developer
Ahmedabad
0
Coool
7/5/2008 4:33:27 AM

Thank you for reply.

The gridview has a paging set to true.  Now when i  search and get more than one page results, the navigation to the page n return the filter results.

I'm not using selectcommand, i'm using LINQ and adding the results to the gridview.

Code snapshot:

1        Protected Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
2
3            If ddlFilter.SelectedValue <> "" Then
4                Hidden.Value = txtSearch.Text
5                ClientGV.DataSource = GetClients(Trim(Hidden.Value), "NAME")
6                ClientGV.DataBind()
7            End If
8        End Sub
11       Protected Sub ddlFilter_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ddlFilter.SelectedIndexChanged
12           If (ddlFilter.SelectedValue <> "") Then
13               txtSearch.Enabled = True
14               btnSearch.Enabled = True
15           Else
16               txtSearch.Enabled = False
17               btnSearch.Enabled = False
18           End If
19           Hidden.Value = ""      // I HAVE PROBLEM WITH THIS STATEMENT! INITIALISED IN PAGE POSTBACK TOO.
20           ClientGV.DataSource = GetClients(ddlFilter.SelectedValue, "VENUE")
21          ClientGV.DataBind()
24       End Sub
27       Protected Sub ClientGV_PageIndexChanging(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewPageEventArgs) Handles ClientGV.PageIndexChanging
28           If Hidden.Value <> "" Then
29               ClientGV.DataSource = GetClients(Trim(Hidden.Value), "NAME")
30           ElseIf ddlVenue.SelectedValue <> "" Then
31               ClientGV.DataSource = GetClients(ddlFilter.SelectedValue, "VENUE")
32           End If
33           ClientGV.PageIndex = e.NewPageIndex
34           ClientGV.DataBind()
35       End Sub
Also i noticed that the Dropdownlist SelectedIndexChanged Event is called in page postback too,which causes my Hidden control value to be initialised not only on user interaction with the DropDownList but also with page postback!!
I'm missing something?
Cheers

0
lidadil
7/5/2008 9:03:31 AM

Hi lidadil,

I think if u have stored the value in Hidden Control then on postback it must be maintained.

However, rather than using hidden control to store the value, u can make use of ViewState.

like ViewState("txtSearch") = txtSearch.Text

and then Check

If ViewState("txtSearch") IsNot Nothing and ViewState("txtSearch") <> "" Then

Please mark as Answer if it helps u. Thanks!

Parth Patel
Techsture Technologies
Software Developer
Ahmedabad
0
Coool
7/5/2008 10:42:22 AM

Hi Coool,

Thank  you for your help.

I'm using the Hidden control to check if the user is searching or filtering...so when the user press search button, i store the textbox value into the hidden control. if the user filter (DropDownList index Changed) i reset the hidden control value.

My problem is even the user does not change the current value of Dropdownlist, the Hidden control value get initialized,

 i.e the below code is executed! and that happening when i move to the next page.

Protected Sub ddlFilter_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ddlFilter.SelectedIndexChanged
12           If (ddlFilter.SelectedValue <> "") Then
13               txtSearch.Enabled = True
14               btnSearch.Enabled = True
15           Else

16               txtSearch.Enabled = False
17               btnSearch.Enabled = False
18           End If

19           Hidden.Value = ""      // I HAVE PROBLEM WITH THIS STATEMENT! INITIALISED IN PAGE POSTBACK TOO.

20           ClientGV.DataSource = GetClients(ddlFilter.SelectedValue, "VENUE")
21          ClientGV.DataBind()
24       End Sub

  How to make sure that Hidden.value is initialized only when the user change the dropdown selected value?

Unfortunately i'm not using ViewState in my application (Viewstate disabled)

Cheers

0
lidadil
7/5/2008 12:13:42 PM

Hi lidadil,

U have disabled ViewState, that's why ur hidden field's value is not maintained during postback.

If possible then only disable ViewState of the Controls which are unnecessarily load ur page size.

Refer this article to decide the ViewState of Control

http://www.nikhilk.net/ViewStateImprovements.aspx

In such condition, u have to use Session to Store the Value of txtSearch.Text

Please mark as Answer if it helps u. Thanks!

Parth Patel
Techsture Technologies
Software Developer
Ahmedabad
0
Coool
7/6/2008 5:50:01 AM

Hi Coool,

Thank you for your reply.

In SelectedIndexChanged event  if i remove the statement that reset the Hidden control (Hidden.value=""), the value is maintained during Gridview pagination.

My Problem:

The Hidden control value is reset in page postback during pagination (SelectedIndexChanged event called !! )

My ONLY requirement:

When the user change the selected dropdownlist value, the hidden control value should be reset to empty String.

Cheers

0
lidadil
7/6/2008 7:12:31 AM

Any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers

0
lidadil
7/8/2008 5:51:32 AM

I'm still waiting for any answer Sad

0
lidadil
7/13/2008 5:47:35 AM

if your hidden field is loosing its value, place it inside updatepanel and check in your cs and aspx and javascript u r not clearing its value.....

Amit Ranjan

If it helped you Don't Say Thank You, Instead Mark it as Answer... Doing so will help you and will also help others..
0
amitranjan

Gridview Search: use DropDownList and TextBox to search / filter gridview?
Let's say I have a gridview with three columns: First Name, Last Name, ID Number.  Here's an example of what I want to do:I want to display all the records in the gridview to start.  There would be a dropdownlist that lets the user select whether to search by first name, last name, or ID number and a text box that lets them type in what they want to search for (and a button to start the search).  After searching, the gridview would only display the records that matched the criteria.The gridview needs to be editable, sortable, and pageable even after searching/filtering...

Gridview Search Without Object Datasource Filter ParametersGridview Search Without Object Datasource Filter Parameters
Couple weeks ago I read a article about highlighted search in Gridview  (http://blog.evonet.com.au/post/2008/06/25/Gridview-with-highlighted-search-results.aspx) and in my project I used things I learned but now things changed I have a gridview and in code I give its datasource so because I dont use any objectdatasource I dont know where to write my filtering parameters. Is there anyway to use filtering without objectdatasource, or is there a way to give objectdatasource an source then bind it to my gridview. My code:  //No objectdatasource how can I conduct a search?GridView1.Da...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

Searching for a form name (present in a different web form)
Searching for a form name (present in a different web form) I have a web form (webform1) where all available forms are displayed. Another web form (webform2) where i have few or no alerts for one or each or none of the forms on the webform1. I have to place an icon or something to the next of the forms on webform1 to notify users about the alerts. What is the possible way to do this. Please give some suggestions. Thanks Hey, Not quite sure what you are looking for... could you explain in more depth, or post some code to help look at it? BrianBrian"Trust in the Lord and d...

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

Web forms and mobile web forms

Best practice for web form with Form View and multiple Dependent Gridviews?
Hi I have a web form to display an open job against an equipment item. I have a Formview for the static data about the job, then I have a Gridview for documenting work against the open job and yet a third Gridview embeded within the first Gridview to document personnel and labor hours for each line of work taken. It looks ok if there is data to display in the gridview but there is nothing there when no data has been entered against the job.  How do I get the webform to show the headers in the gridview even if there is no data?    Your simpliest way to acomplish this ...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web resources about - GridView Filtering and Searching - asp.net.web-forms

Bayesian spam filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
/ ˈ b eɪ z i ə n / BAY -zee-ən ; after Rev. Thomas Bayes ) is a statistical technique of e-mail filtering . It makes use of a naive Bayes classifier ...

Facebook Adds Filtering To Messages, Tests Paid Service
Facebook released an update to its messaging system on Thursday , adding a filtering system and introducing a paid service for U.S. users who ...

Facebook to test option for paid messages between users, announces new filtering controls
... users to pay to send direct messages to another user’s inbox rather than their “other” folder. The social network is also releasing new filtering ...

Filtering mentions - Twitter Blogs
As part of our product development process, we regularly reach out to our partners to better understand what would improve the Twitter experience. ...

ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store on iTunes
Get ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Google AdSense Category Filtering - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Details at searchengineland.com/google-adsense-testing-category-filt...

Australia's piracy web filtering - an exercise in futility
Even school children will laugh at the token gesture of blocking The Pirate Bay.

Internet Filtering Scheme's Demise Welcomed
Opponents of Stephen Conroy's mandatory internet filtering scheme are lining up to applaud its demise.

Yandex launches public DNS service with malicious URL filtering - Internet-based applications and services ...
Russian Web search firm Yandex launched a public DNS (Domain Name System) resolution service on Thursday that leverages the company's existing ...

The Filter Is Dead: Australian Government Dumps Controversial Filtering Project [Updated]
Almost three years ago now, Senator Stephen Conroy stepped up to the plate to deliver a bold new vision. A vision of a filtered, “safer” i... ...