FilePath and FileName without uploading?

Can someone explain to me how to get the filepath and filename of a file using some type of browser, like fileupload, without uploading? The reason why I don't want to upload is because the files are huge and all I really need is the filepath and filename.

0
bleackus

If you want to practice with this I would recommend writing your own byte arrays and using that as your file to upload.

string LogoPath = Server.MapPath(@"../Images/logo.jpg");

xequence
5/4/2009 7:14:29 PM

Please explain?

I don't understand how creating my own byte array would help me get the filepath from a fileUpload control or input(file) control without uploading the file using a web application?

0
bleackus
5/4/2009 7:23:04 PM
For file path using FileUpload1.PostedFile;

and for file name using FileUpload1.PostedFile.FileName;

Thanks
Naresh Prakash.
Click Here : Sky is the not limit

This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers.
0
nareshprakash
5/4/2009 7:25:25 PM

 Thanks for the quick reply.

 That does work, but the file I'm opening is a 1GB file. So when I try to get the path and name of the file, it takes forever to load  and retrieve. So what I am looking for is a way of retrieving the path and name without the file going through the load process.
0
bleackus
5/4/2009 7:48:06 PM

 Thanks for the quick reply.

 That does work, but the file I'm opening is a 1GB file. So when I try to get the path and name of the file, it takes forever to load  and retrieve. So what I am looking for is a way of retrieving the path and name without the file going through the load process.
0
bleackus

How to upload filename without uploading file?
I like the HTML INPUT type="file" control, and the way it allows the user at the browser to select a local file. However, on the server side, all I want is the filename to store in a db. I don't want the file to be uploaded (could be huge). I've gotten rid of the enctype="" clause in the form object, but the browser is still sending the file. Any suggestions? TIA, David Low Well guys, this is how I'm going to do it for now. 1) in the client script, copy the file name to an HTML text box when the file name changes 2) in the client script, disable th...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

.Net Web Form & Web Service Deployment

How do you incorporate a web page in a web form without IFrame
I would like to display a web page in my web form, but don't want to use frames or I frames. Can it be done with a label? If not then any suggestions and code would be appreciated. Thanks Please describe in more detail what you are trying to achieve. Frames and IFrames are for the purpose of rendering >1 html page in a single browser window. AFAIK there is no other way to achieve this purpose, but maybe you are trying to describe a different purpose? Basically it's a search page. The search term is picked up from a text box and then a URL is called. The URL is fed with the s...

Web forms and mobile web forms

.Net Web Forms
what is the best way to create a multi-page web insurance quote form (similar to Geico) that will insert information into a database? The examples i've seen show one form with a submit button at the bottom. I need to break this form into at least three different aspx or ascx pages. Thanks for the help. I did something similiar since I have like 7 sections to an application. The way I did it was by using the asp:panel control. When the user finished one section and clicks a button it inputs the data into the database and hides the 1st panel and shows the next one. HTH...

Error While Uploading image to my Web Folder Vie Web Form, Please Help
Hi i am getting this error when i am trying to upload image to my website folder, its showing this error System.IO.FileNotFoundException: F:\gotnet\ASP_NET Full Article Listing Creating Dynamic Data Entry User Interfaces_files\arrowLTR.gif at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement) at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename) at Af.AfnanSchool.InsertVB.Connection.SaveImage(String FileName, DateTime JoinDate, String StrPath) and also my asp.net validation is not working, but it was working fine on my local pc, please help thanks in advan...

Web Form embedded in another Web Form

Web resources about - FilePath and FileName without uploading? - asp.net.web-forms

Uploading and downloading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Examples of a remote system from which a download might be performed include a web server , FTP server, email server, or other similar systems. ...

Facebook Lets You Tag Photos While They're Uploading
Facebook now lets you add tags to photos before they're finished uploading.

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Video Uploading for 3GS Owners
We’ve heard a lot of people say the iPhone’s built-in support for YouTube video uploading is going to make a huge impact on the number of people ...

Defence bureaucrat pleads guilty to uploading secret document online
... embarrassing security breach with &quot;Five Eyes&quot; intelligence document. A former junior Defence bureaucrat has pleaded guilty to uploading ...

Uploading Bautista bat flip GIFs could get you sued under TPP, copyright activists warn
Copyright activists say Canadians could face lawsuits, fines or worse for ripping the latest Justin Bieber CD or uploading an animated GIF of ...

Xiaomi apologizes for uploading address book data from smartphones without permission
Former Android head and Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra has apologized to owners of its smartphones for "any concern caused" by collecting contact data ...

Senator calls for FTC investigation of Apple and Google over stealth photo uploading capabilities
Is this how we’ll have to open apps in the future? When we broke the news that iOS (and later Android) apps could upload your photo library (along ...

YouTubers Now Uploading Over 35 Hours Of Video Per Minute!
This week YouTube's got some big news! YouTubers are now uploading over 35 hours of video per minute, up from 24 hours a minute in March.

Google Play Books updated with new design, PDF and EPUB uploading
Caught up in all of the hullabaloo around the keynote, Google Play Books received a notable update in the Play Store to not only bring new UI ...

Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading
Fast Company Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading Android Community Different social networks are doing everything ...