Dropdown list with multiple values

Hi all,

I'm retrieving two record fields from a table. Is it possible to bind both the values side by side to drop down list.

Eg: Select empid,empname from emp.

The values retrieved should be in a single dropdown list. I have seen this in Visual Foxpro. We can iniatialize a SQL query to Rowsource property of the dropdown list.

 Thanks.

Ali
0
Ali

you can set one field as the key field, and the other as display.  You can also concatenate the key field into the display so that its only one column but contains

id + " " + name fields.

and the key field would be id (and would be hidden)

hth,
mcm

0
mcmcomasp
12/7/2006 2:52:30 AM

Can you elaborate the first option.

Ali
0
Ali
12/7/2006 4:17:04 AM

here is an excellent tutorial :

http://www.codersource.net/asp_net_dropdownlist.html

hth,
mcm

0
mcmcomasp
12/7/2006 4:28:25 AM

hi,

perhaps, you can specify the DataTextField and the DataValueField property by the selection,then you can retrieve both of them later, but I am afrait it cannot display them side by side

  string co = "Data Source=localhost\\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=pubs;Integrated Security=True";

        System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection sqlconnect = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(co);

        string command = "select au_lname,au_fname from authors";
        System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlcommand = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
        sqlcommand.CommandText = command;
        sqlcommand.Connection = sqlconnect;

        sqlconnect.Open();
        System .Data .SqlClient .SqlDataReader dr=sqlcommand .ExecuteReader ();
        DropDownList1.DataSource = dr;
        DropDownList1.DataTextField = "au_lname";
        DropDownList1.DataValueField = "au_fname";
        DropDownList1.DataBind();
        sqlconnect.Close();

0
jessjing
12/7/2006 5:17:55 AM

You can concatenate fields in your SQL query and assign the result to the DataTextField, like this:

SELECT empid, empname, (empid + ' ' + empname) AS EmpInfo from emp

DropDownList1.DataTextField = "EmpInfo"

    Alternatively, if you want your data to be displayed in columns, you can use a third-party control like ELB.

Cheers,

Peter Brunone
MS MVP, ASP.NET
Founder, EasyListBox.com
Do the impossible, and go home early.
0
PeterBrunone

Drop down list in Form view returns error when value in bound field (data binding
I get the following error when I click edit to edit the details in the web form:'ddlUserRestrictionType' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items.Parameter name: value  I would like it to accept any value which currently exists in the database. Is this easily achievable? With what you've posted, all I can tell is that you are trying to set the SelectedValue of a ddl to a value that does not exist in the list.  It would be helpful if you can post some code and the expected values of this control.~ Timwww.bucketo...

Sorting microsoft report on web form from dropdown list values
Hi, I have a Microsoft report viewer tied into an object data source. The object data source is pointing to a data table .xsd file. I have setup my filtering using parameters in SQL and tying those parameters to controls on my web form to filter the report. That is working fine, however I also want to be able to use a dropdown list to select the fields to sort the report by, as well as what order ascending or descending.  I know you cannot use parameters in the Sort By column in SQL so I have been trying to use the SORT BY CASE statement then pointing those parameters to the dropdowns...

Populating and Implementing 4 Dropdown lists on web form through web service
Hi all, I have a Project due after one week. It is a web service project. I have a Web Form which communicates to the web service and this web service communicates to the database. I have all my SQL statements in the Data Acess Layer to create more secure web service application. The Web service class is also in the Data Access Layer. I need to populates the 4 Dropdown list boxes on the web form from one table. I have Customer table which contains information About CustomerName, CustomerType, Address, City. These 4 colum values should populate the 4 Dropdown lists. And then I need to implem...

Insert multiple values(multiple columns) based on single dropdown list selection.
What I would like to accomplish:  I have a dropdown list that is an entityref(populated by values from PK in separate table). When user makes selection in dropdown list, then clicks “Insert”, I would like the selected value to be inserted into the applicable FK column, but also would like to have a value equal to the integer selected, multiplied by 50, inserted into another column of the same table. Example with user selecting “2” in the dropdown list, inserting into Table b:table a: Column: Numbers(PK) (1, 2, 4, 8) Table b: Processors(FK) Inserted: “2”Table b: Factor Inserted: ...

can i drag the selected value of dropdown list in one web part to another web part
hi, supose i am having time displaying in on webpart can i drag the value of time to another web part and and display the time is: and the value draged from the other webpart so i want to drag the value year and population into antoher web part and according to that the grap must appear i.e what  i exactly want is i must drag some value from one webpart to onother webpart and according to event some thing must happen in another web part   Hi, The problem has been replied in the following post: http://forums.asp.net/t/1141884.aspx But from the title you described, do ...

How to get value from first dropdown list to second dropdown list
Hi Does soneone know hot to get value from first dropdown list to second dropdown list or remove it from seond dropdown list? I have a web form page. On the page, there are two dropdown lists, one Add button, and one Remove button . First dropdown list has four list items. Second one does not have list item yet. When select a item from first dropdown list, then click "add" button. I want it to apear in the second dropdown list without reload the page. Or select item from second dropdown list, and click "Remove" button. it will remove from second list. Please help. &nb...

Populate a Dropdown List based on the value of another Dropdown List
 Hi ALL,    I have two Dropdown List.I need to Populate second Dropdown List based on the value of first Dropdown List.I am n't using Update Panel.Pls suggest me RegardsSri ASP.NET AJAX Cascading DropdownDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!   just populate second dropdown in SelectedIndexChanged event of the first dropdown. Muhammad ShoaibSoftware Engineer,Lahore, Pakistanwww.heartofpakistan.com (U/C)--------------------------------Mark it as ANSWER if it Helps U   Check out this link with co...

How to combind two dropdown list values into one dropdown list?
Hi All, I refered some websites, they are combinding two dropdown list values into single, but i don't know .Net will support it or not? If any body knows it plz tell me how to achieve it?? EX: Go to Naukri.com and select Functional Area dropdown list there u can see main & sub category names in one dropdown list!!!   Thanks, Aswath.  hi just concatenate , or - for ex:Dropdownlist1.Datatextfield= maincategory & "," & Subcategory Regards,M.VenkatesanMy Blog : http://venkat-dotnetsamples.blogspot.comPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the pos...

How do you grab dropdown values from Web Form ?
I want to grab the selected value and store into a parameter so far Im doing this but the selected value is not storing Me.SqlCommand1.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@TRA_Quarter", System.Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar, 2, "@TRA_Quarter")) 'define quarter other parameter SqlCommand1.Parameters("@TRA_Quarter").Value = ddlQuarter.SelectedItem.Value 'insert Training Quarter from form into parameter Redeem. Are you repopulating the data of the combo box on post backRaghu Vangala http:/...

How to use values from two dropdown lists to get the value for a third dropdown?
I have three dropdown lists.  One for Office, one for Department, and a list of employees.   There is no relationship in the database between office and department.  The relationships are to the employees.  What I need to do is take the selected values from Office and Department, and run a query to get the list of employees who match both parameters (Office & Department).  Here's my code for the three dropdown lists.  How do I "connect" Office & Department to populate employees?  code from my vb.net page    for the ...

one dropdown list affecting another dropdown list vb.net
I am desgining a website using VB.NET wherein the data items of one dropdown list depends on the selection of a data item in the previous dropdown list something similar to selection of country USA from 1st dropdown list...triggers 2nd dropdown with list of states in USA How can this be accomplished.... Any help will be appreciated... Thanks & Best Regards... hi boy,first I suggest turn on auto postback on first dropdownlist. In select index changes(first dropdownlist) - select value on second dropdownlist My blog is here.Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' i...

Populate dropdown list based on selected value in another dropdown list
I have a datagrid (grdCar) that contains two dropdown listboxes (ddlCarManf and ddlCar). When the user clicks the "Edit" link and places the grid into edit mode, they select a value in ddlCarManf. Based on the selected value in ddlCarManf, I need to then populate ddlCar with a list of cars for which the selected manufacturer makes (I'm using ddlCarManf.SelectedValue to query the database).  I bind my datagrid in the page_load event as: If Not Page.IsPostBack Then    BindGrid() End If Here is my control (ddlCarManf) as is appears within grdCar in ...

Web resources about - Dropdown list with multiple values - asp.net.web-forms

How to convert unordered list into nicely styled <select> dropdown using jquery?
$('ul.selectdropdown').each(function(){ var select=$(document.createElement('select').insertBefore($(this).hide(); $('>li a', this).each(function(){ ...

Credit Suisse Reiterates On Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. Following Alberta Dropdown
In a report published Thursday, Credit Suisse analyst John Edwards reiterated an Outperform rating on Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. (NYSE: EEP), ...

Convert a Menu to a Dropdown for Small Screens
Create a menu that, on smaller screens, changes into a dropdown menu. A dropdown takes up much less screen real estate and can be easier to use. ...

Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample/Dropdown-demos.html at master · OfficeDev/Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample ...
Contribute to Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample development by creating an account on GitHub.

Google Adds Dropdown Menu to Search Results, Hides Cached Pages Inside
Google recently updated their search results format, again moving the link for cached page access somewhere else. Now it hides in a convenient ...

50+ Awesome jQuery Dropdown Menu Tutorials
When designing graphical user interfaces, many people prefer to use a dropdown menu as a GUI element. This allows the user to choose a value ...

Sign out command in dropdown
We can save some space in the menus by putting the Sign-out command in the dropdown menu. As we're building the menu, if I see a command called ...

Google toys with removing Instant Preview in Search, adds dropdown menu with Cached, Similar, Share options ...
Google has added a new drop-down menu to its search results page beside every URL with three options: Cached, Similar, and Share. At the same ...

Facebook Fan Page Changes You Haven’t Heard About
... fashion appears at the top center of the page if you scroll down to the cover image or any point lower. A box labeled highlights has a dropdown ...

Edit Companies - Eric Feng - CrunchBase Person Profile
If this person is an investor, please only submit companies for which he/she has a functional role (like Board, Advisor, etc). Click 'Past?' ...