accessing click event of button added dynamically

Hi my problem is this - I want to dynamically include a button in the cell of a table I have created on an aspx page in VWD, and be able to refer to the button's click event in code. However, I can't seem to access the click event in code, as I haven't physically placed the button on the aspx page. How do I access the button events without physically placing the button on the form. I am coding in VB.Net.  Here's what I've managed to work out so far:

Protected WithEvents btnView As Button

Protected Sub DisplayRecords(ByVal recShort As ShortRecord)

    Dim btnView As New Button

    AddHandler btnView.Click, AddressOf btnView_Click
    tblCell2.Controls.Add(btnView)
    .....more code.....

End Sub

Protected Sub
btnView_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnView.Click
   .... some code.....
End Sub

When I run the code and click on the button, the event isn't captured by my btnView_click event handler.  Any ideas?

cheers,

Bernie

0
Bernie

In order for dynamically added controls to function correctly, they need to be recreated on each and every postback.

So, in the postback that was triggered by your dynamically added Button,  you need to re-add that button (and the event handler) early in the page life cycle (Page_Load at the latest) if you want the event to fire.

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige
11/21/2006 2:49:57 AM

hi,

yes, usually you must add the button in the page_Load event,

but, if you want to dynamically add a button in a sub, refer to this

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/dynamiccontrols.asp

hope it helps

0
jessjing
11/21/2006 3:01:49 AM
Thanks everyone.  It was the postback thing.
0
Bernie

Dynamically adding buttons to web form and wiring up the onclick event.
I have a web form that is generated at runtime with a number of dynamically created buttons. Creating the buttons is easy, but wiring them up is not. I would love to use the cold behind and a single onclick event. Then based on the id, I can call a single method that does an operation. Each button will perform the same tasks. The user can chose one of three tasks. I though I would either have a dropdown or three radio buttons for this. Alternatively, I could have some javascript, but I am not quiet sure how to post back with javascript and if all the buttons will make it more difficult. Does...

button click event not firing for dynamic buttons added on PreRender of the updatepanel
Hi,i have a webpage with an updatepanel updatepanel1.i am adding controls dynamically to the updatepanel on the prerender event.i am using the prerender event as i want to get the latest bata from thedatabase which include the data i have inserted on my last button click.But the button click event is not getting trigged on clicking the button.Here is the sample code in PreRenderSqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("SELECT Heading, ID FROM tblNews ORDER BY ID;", conn);conn.Open();SqlDataReader sqlData =cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);while (sqlData.Read()){lblHeading =...

Dynamically adding a button click event
If I create a button dynamically, how can i add an event handler for the click event?This is a section of my code:  Button btnDelete = new Button();//........... newCell = new TableCell();newRow.Cells.Add(newCell);newCell.Attributes.Add("align", "center");btnDelete.Text = "Delete";btnDelete.ID = "m" + newMessage.ID;btnDelete.Click += new EventHandler(btnDelete_Click);btnDelete.CssClass = "admin_button";newCell.Controls.Add(btnDelete);//........... private void btnDelete_Click(object sender, EventArgs e){ //.............. }...

Dynamically loaded Web User Control .ascx button click event handler not called on second time click
I have an ascx control (that performs actions for an entity) being added dynamically to accordion panes, and then the panes are added to an ajax accordion control, so that the accordion can contain multiple panes with each pane containing one ascx control. The ascx control contains a delete button which removes the entity from the database. Once the entity is removed, I need to reflect this deletion in the parent page by removing the accordion pane from the accordion. To do this I created a delegate function and which is called from the parent page to rebind the accordion and hence not d...

How to add click event for dynamically added button
I added a button dynamically: Dim btn As New Button()btn.ID = "btnSaveSettings"btn.Text = "ButtonJohan"btn.OnClientClick = "redirect()"btn.Style.Add("display", "none")Controls.Add(btn) How can I add the click event for this button? Protected Sub btnSaveSettings_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSaveSettings.ClickEnd SubJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". You can use the AddHandler method e.g.http:/...

Accessing click event of button added to itemtemplate
I don't know if this will work or not: I have a template column that displays an image thumbnail. I went into the "EditTemplate" option and added a command button so it displays under the thumbnail. I added the "asp button" line inside the HTML: <asp:TemplateColumn> <ItemTemplate> <asp:Image id=thumbnail runat="server" ImageUrl='<%# Databinder.eval(container, "dataitem.thumbnail") %>'> </asp:Image><BR> <asp:Button id="btnCloseUp" runat="server" Font-Size="XX-Small&q...

Dynamic Button Creation
Hello There, not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this question but here it goes: I am creating a website that has a shopping cart on the MasterPage, in the content page I want to dynamically create item listings.  Each item listing needs to have a LinkButton, that when clicked, adds the item to the shopping cart.  Upon further investigation I found that to create the dynamic controls they need to be in the Page_Init Procedure.  So I have them there, the problem I am having is making the Dynamic link buttons attach to the procedure I want them to.  I foun...

Adding click event handler to a dynamically created button
This question has been asked many times in different forums but none of the answers have solved my issue yet. There must be something I'm missing. I am creating buttons on-the-fly and want to assign an eventhandler to each of their click events (the same eventhandler, as I assume that I'll be able to determine the unique sender from the input param). Here's the code that I've tried:Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load    ' ..... do some stuff .....     While oDataReader.Read() ...

Dynamically adding User Control instances on Button click event
Hi All:  I have a user control which has three text boxes in it. Now I have a page where there is a place holder and a button. On the click event of the button I add an instance of the user control to the place holder. It works fine the first time and the user control is added to the place holder. However when I click again, a new user control instance is added and the first instance is not there... same thing is repeated if I click again...new instance is added and none of the previous ones are ther ein the place holder. The code for the web page is as follows:int iTextBoxUserControlC...

Button click event not fired for a custom webpart where controls are added dynamically.
We are migrating a Sharepoint 2003 site to MOSS 2007 and ASP.NET 2.0. We have also migrated the webparts but they are still inheriting from Sharepoint.WebPart. We have a webpart where controls are added dynamically at runtime. On this webpart a button is added dynamically and a click event handler is also attached. The button on the webpart is displayed only when there is some data. The button deletes the selected row of data when clicked. But when we click on the button, the page gets posted but the event handler is not called. We analysed and found that the code where we add the button to ...

.NET 1.1 Web Form
I am scratching my head trying to figure out why my events button (Lighting Bolt) is not displaying when I select buttons in Visual Studio 2003.  Has anybody had this happen before? I am tired into Visual Source Safe and wonder if that has anything to do with it?Moojjoo Õ¿Õ http://www.mmwebs.comhttp://moojjoo.blogspot.com/ Ummm>>>   That is the difference between C# and VB.NET.  VB.NET does not display the Lightning Bolt under properties in VS 2003.Moojjoo Õ¿Õ http://www.mmwebs.comhttp://moojjoo.blogspot.com/...

Button click event not getting fired for a custom webpart where controls are added dynamically.
 We are migrating from ASP.NET1.1/Sharepoint 2003 to ASP.NET 2.0/Moss 2007. We have a webpart on which controls are getting added dynamically. We have a button which is also dynamically added and a click event handler is also attached to it. However when we click on this button the page gets posted but the event is not fired. We analysed and found that the code to add the button in the webparts controls collection is executed but the code to add the button to it's container (that is a table) is not getting executed. Hence the event is not getting handled. If we forcefully add the bu...

default button raised event click for each section on web form with multi input sections
 hi everybody,I have a web form with two sections: Search Box and News Leter BoxSearch Box include : txtKeyword (TextBox) and btnSearch(Button)btnSearch do seaching in database with keyword input from txtKeyword News Letter Box include: txtEmail (TextBox) and btnSubscriber(Button) btnSubscriber do Saving Email into database In my web form, I press Enter key, the button search raised event Click with default focus.( or btnSubscriber is default focus and raised event Click)Please tell me the way: If  press Enter key with txtKeyword focusing, the btnSearch will raise event, and if pre...

To access a control placed in a web user control which is loaded during page load in button click event
How can I access a control in a web user control in a button click event , the user control is loaded in page load.Thanks & Regards,Abhiram Reddy Mekha. Try checking this... http://microsoft.apress.com/asptodayarchive/73869/event-handling-between-custom-user-controls-that-are-loaded-at-run-time http://aspalliance.com/565_Dynamic_Loading_of_ASPNET_User_Controls http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tutorials/Controls-Run-Time.aspx http://stackoverflow.com/questions/92792/user-control-created-dynamically-not-able-to-handle-events-on-postback http://www.codersource.net/asp_net_user_c...

Web resources about - accessing click event of button added dynamically - asp.net.web-forms

iPhone 5 A6 chip to dynamically up-clock up to 1.3GHz (and downclock too)?
Interesting video from our friends at TLDToday: If this is not just a Geekbench app glitch, it could indicate why that A6 processor is so 2X ...

iPhone 5 Lightning port dynamically reassigns pins
... of Apple's Lightning USB cable shows that the pins on the plug aren't arranged symmetrically, suggesting that the Lightning port can dynamically ...