[Hot Discussion] VB.NET vs. C#.NET by performance

Which one have the much better performance?

Which one is the best?
Parco Lee
Owner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional Programmer

SoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)
http://www.softdweller.com
A professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.

http://www.nowlover.com
0
SM

Hmmm, the discussion doesn't appear very hot.

By the way, the answer is its all personal taste,
give or take a few things that aren't important.
Thanks, Paul Wilson, ASPInsider, MC**

For the best .NET code, examples, and tools, visit:
WilsonDotNet.com, WilsonWebPortal.com, ORMapper.net
0
PaulWilson
3/10/2004 3:38:53 AM
I'd think that VB.net written with Option Strict On would give much the same performance as C# since you're compiling to much the same MSIL.

What will slow down performance in VB though is using Option Strict off, this allows you to have things like late binding and integer arithmetic on objects of unspecified type, so you'll be having a lot of work (boxing and unboxing, late binding, type conversion etc) happening at runtime that otherwise be put into your code at compile time. Yes it saves you a bit of typing, but it slows down your code.
0
jammycakes
3/10/2004 10:28:33 AM
Neither is Cobol.net is much faster than both.

Sorry couldn't resist. The Common Language Runtime uses IL. How you create the IL should be unimportant in terms of performance. Granted each language may steer you into writing code a certain way but you can write rubbish code in any language. Personally I've spent the last 10 years writing VB code and I've found C# easier than VB.net. But like others have said, its a personal choice. Having said that there are some things you can't do in each langauge. For example you can have different visibility of accessors on the same property in c# but you can in vb.net (although that's changing in the next version).
0
pkr
3/13/2004 10:53:45 AM
::The Common Language Runtime uses IL. How you create the IL should be unimportant in

::terms of performance.
Interestingly enough, this simply is not true.
If you want performance, use Managed C++ - it ALSO emits IL, but somehow the C++ compiler - emits less and better optimized IL.
he language CAN do a difference, depending on how good the compiler is. And there ARE differences.
Thomas Tomiczek
PowerNodes ApS
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
---
Building a Website? Try the PowerNodes CMS - http://www.powernodes.com/
0
thona
3/15/2004 4:06:17 AM
I'm not disputing your claim, but could you give some examples? Afterall the bulk of what you do uses the common framework. I'm interested cause that could have a real impact on the project I'm about to start.
0
pkr
3/15/2004 8:22:12 AM
If you want performance, use Managed C++ - it ALSO emits IL, but somehow the C++ compiler - emits less and better optimized IL.

The C++ compiler actually produces native code. It does emit MSIL as well but I think this is a case of "as well as" rather than "instead of". You can compile to native code only using the /clr:noassembly command line option.
0
jammycakes
3/16/2004 9:33:58 AM
Isn't that the same as pre-compiling any IL, i.e you skip the JIT phase - NGEN is it?

0
pkr
3/16/2004 11:18:07 AM
Not quite. The compiler can produce more tightly optimised code if it compiles directly to native code rather than IL.
0
jammycakes
3/16/2004 11:44:57 AM
Huh, interesting. I suppose the Microsoft defence for not doing that is you don't always know the spec of machine you're deploying to. So compiling to the target machine early on might produce far worse performance. Still, I have to say that for the majority (if not all) of the projects I work on, I know what machine it's going on. But then they'd have to call us back every time they upgraded their kit...I'm beginning to see a revenue stream here!! ;)

0
pkr

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

VB.Net To C#.Net

vb .net or c# .net

C#.NET or VB.NET

True OOPS c#.net vs vb.net
Hi, Can i get the comparison between c#.net vs vb.net on the basis of supported object oriented feature. Which one supports more features of OOPS. They both support the same features since they are both based off the same IL code.  You will see no difference between the two.  Hope this helps.P.S.  By using the term "C#.NET" is a dead give away that you are new to the language.  Because C#.NET is a redundant term since C# is only available for the .NET Framework. View My Blog Download My URL Rewriter and Reverse ProxyOnly $9.95/month, ASP.NET, 2GB & SQL 2005 ...

Both C# ASPX pages and VB.NET ASPX in single VB.NET Web Applcation Template
Hi.. Is it possible to have both c# pages and VB pages in same Webapplication, what i chose is VB.NET Web application Template. With Thanks, Jaya.... I don't see why you couldn't, but for the sake of consistency I don't know why you would want to do this. When you choose a C# or VB.NET application template(I'm assuming you're using VS or WebMatrix), it simply creates a .aspx file that includes a page directive that specifies the page language. If you created a C# template but want to use VB.Net instead, you need to go from: <%@ Page Language="C#" .... to...

VB.NET vs. C#.NET Behavior of Visual Studio
I'm transitioning from coding in VB to coding in C#. Maybe I have something set wrong, but a behavioral difference is driving me bananas. When I edit a VB source file, the two drop-downs at the top of the edit view are Class Name and Method Name, and it makes it easy to add a new event handler for any of the controls on the page. Choose which one on the left, pick your event on the right, and VS inserts an empty, properly formatted subroutine. In C# mode, however, those two drop-downs are labeled Types and Members, and there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it to create the empty framew...

VB.NET Standard vs VS.NET Professional
Hello, I've been using the Trail Version of Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 and I now need to ask my Boss to buy the Full Version. I'm going to be developing ASP.NET Web Applications that are Data-driven with SQL Server 7.0 and 2000. I'm only going to need Visual Basic for coding my applications. My Question is what version of Visual Studio .NET should I buy??? Since I'm only going to be using Visual Basic should I buy Visual Basic .NET Standard 2003???? or stick with Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 (bearing in mind is about 10x more expensive). Obvio...

Web resources about - [Hot Discussion] VB.NET vs. C#.NET by performance - asp.net.web-forms

Wikipedia:Arguments to avoid in adminship discussions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is intended as a guide to getting the most out of the request for adminship (RfA) procedure. It is not intended to be binding policy, nor ...

‘Rush’ Director Ron Howard, Star Chris Hemsworth To Participate In Live Interactive Discussion On Facebook ...
Rush director Ron Howard and star Chris Hemsworth will partake in a live interactive discussion on the film’s Facebook page this Sunday at 4:35 ...

Ms. Magazine - "Hobson sparks a discussion among other pop... - Facebook
"Hobson sparks a discussion among other pop culture critics about female empowerment, combining feminism and 'traditional' roles, and the 'politics ...

[...] Discussion in Facebook Groups and Pages is Public and Searchable, Inside Facebook [...]
While discussion on Facebook Pages has always been publicly accessible to the world and indexed by search engines like Google, wall posts and ...

Front - The best stories and discussions in Kinja
The best stories and discussions in Kinja

Through The Fence Baseball - Baseball news, discussion, rumors, and stats from around MLB.
The 2013 MLB draft is a little less than three months away. With the college season in full swing, and the high school season just starting out ...

Neuromarketing Expert Discussion Group - Conflict-Free
Counter the biggest LI neuromarketing group, this group is strictly business conflict-free and agnostic about methodologies and technologies. ...

#Techonomy2015 discussion at minute 20 in the video: http://techonomy.com/conf/te15/videos-human-val ...
jurvetson posted a photo: Are we optimizing the future? The Techonomy2015 discussion with Jaron Lanier and Sir Colin Blakemore. We begin the ...

Malcolm Turnbull should shut down the discussion about raising GST
A change of leader plus the upcoming summer break make it a good time to dump unsuitable policies - like the proposal to increase the rate of ...

Radicalisation: the tone of Muslim community discussion must change
Young Muslims can be sucked into extremism without their realising it.