VWD 2008 & SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition?

Does VWD 2008 Express SP1 work with any version of SQL Server (Express or Licensed)?

I am running a Vista Business client machine with:

  • SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition SP3 (Licensed version)
  • VWD 2008 Express SP1 (Express FREE version)

Everytime i try to connect to a database in VWD i get permissions problems on my *.mdf files. Does anyone know why this is when i only run the one user on my machine and my connections are attempting to use Windows Authentication?

 I thought maybe the express edition didn't work with licensed version of SQL Server?

0
BKirk

As far as i know there are no issues with limitations of the version of SQL server as i dont beleive that system.data.sqlclient even looks at the version of SQL, it simply queries the specified server and returns any errors found.

 Could you post the error which you get as when you say permissions, this could be permission to the mdf file or permissions to the database.

Regards

Liam

If you've had a problem then someone else has too. Google is your friend. google for your topic title.
0
Shocker
4/23/2009 10:33:42 AM
Yeah, they are compatible. Make sure that "computer"\ASPNET has read and write access to your databases.
0
pryanjr

VWD 2008 Express & SQL Server 2008 Express & Hosting Options
Hey all, go easy on me, this is my first post On my development PC, I am using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express (the free one) along with SQL Server 2008 Express (the free one).  I am building a small scale database application (1 database) and would like to host this on the internet so that others can access it and report back on usability and bugs etc.  It doesn't need to be mega-fast at the moment. I am unsure of what type of hosting to buy, as there are many different options available.  I guess I have the following questions : Is there hosting specific to the...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

Connecting VWD 2008 Express Edition to SQL Server 2008
How to I connect VWD 2008 Express Editin to SQL server 2008?   Sincerely, Computergirl Start with SqlDataSource control http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasource.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Videos are here http://www.asp.net/learn/sql-videos/ http://www.asp.net/learn/data-videos/Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and con...

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

VWD 2008 and SQL Server 2005 Express editions + Vista = problem with data write
Hi, I had an asp.net 2.0 application and all was working on a windows xp with Visual Web Developer 2005. Just tried VWD 2008 express on a Windows Vista but some data can't be written to the db....here is what the error is: "Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime. The statement has been terminated. "Nothing has been changed on the db (sql 2005 .mdf file). I'm not sure why the error says converting because using the regular " DateTime.Now.ToString() Any ideas? Is it Windows Vista or VWD 2008 issue? Thanks ...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

How to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition ?
I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in my PC, and remain Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, but when I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to open a exist website made by Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition + SQL 2005 Express, I get the following error, how can I do? thanks! "The server version is not supported. You must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 beta 2 or later."   BTW, can both Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005  run simultaneously on one PC?SuperCool Multiple ZIP...

VS.NET 2005 V/s VWD 2008 & VS.NET 2008
Hi, I just download Visual Web Developer 2008 and little use it. Can anyone inform me what is the major difference b/w VS.NET 2005 V/s VWD 2008, I am asking only on the ASP.NET point of view. Can some one also guide me If I use Visual Studio 2008 so what major extra benefit I can take as compare to using VWD 2008. Please give me some practical example. Thanks in advance. Difference VS 2005 Target Framework 2.0 AJAX - To be installed separately by installing AJAX Extensions JavaScript Intellisense -limited JavaScript debugging - limited VWD 2008 Target Framework 2.0-3.5 ...

VS.net 2003 & VWD express 2005 & SQL Express 2005 (RS)
i have installed sql express 2005 with reporting services, vs.net 2003 and visual web developer express 2005. How do i get the reporting services designer or create a new report ? The option 'Business Intelligent' is not in the project....

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

"Failure to create a user instance"
 On Windows Server 2008 - I installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced.I ported over several Websites from a Windows 2003 Web Server.When I go into the V.W.D. Solution Explorer for a given website, I see the MDF files ported from 2003, but when I go into Database Explorer to work with the data,  I get a Package Load Failure and the database will not connect.  Instead it says, "Failure to create a user instance of SQL Server, due to a failure in starting the process for the use instance. The connection will be closed."And whe...

Web resources about - VWD 2008 & SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition? - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express

Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St. Catharines Standard , a St. Catharines, Ontario, newspaper Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Aiken Standard - Local News Updated throughout the Day
Your Source for local news in Aiken, South Carolina. Visit our site for recent updates, video, breaking news, and much more.

Business Standard :: Business News,Finance News, World Business, India Stock News, Indian stock market ...
Business Standard, Indias leading business newspaper, provides latest news on stock markets, investing, companies, industry, banking, finance, ...

Leader Standard
Former England striker Beattie, a former team-mate of Monk's at Southampton, was appointed first-team coach this summer, with his prime responsibility ...

Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines
Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines

The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.
The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.

Bulletin Standard
Breaking USA News & Headlines; Latest News and Current News from America, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San ...

Black lung: Queensland underground coal mines warned to reduce dust levels below safety standards
Queensland underground coal mine operators are warned by the mining union to reduce their dust levels below the state's safety standard or face ...

Standard Of Review: In 2015, Legal Entertainment Succeeded When It Stopped Being Glitzy And Started Getting ...
Culture columnist Harry Graff looks back on the year that was in law-related television, books, and movies.

The App-ocalypse: can Web standards make mobile apps obsolete?
(credit: Getty Images) It's the apps. The iPhone and Android conquered the world because of the apps. More specifically, what keeps Android ...