Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition...Can't connect to Database

Sorry to bring this topic up again....seems like such a noobie question, however I have done almost everything I can to try to connect to database through the ASP.NET Configuration and then going to  "Provider Configuration". When I first started using this program maybe a week or so ago, I had Windows XP. The only thing that I specified in my firewall was just to give access to VWD, and that was it. But recently after getting Windows Vista, I am sure it is not the operating system, I can't seem to connect to the database. This has been going on for some time now and I have gotten to the point of frustratioin.

Can anyone please help me. I am a noob when it comes to this whole thing?

0
Paulie222

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express
 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.  VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008. I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this. What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this i...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Can't Install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have tried 3 times over 10 hours to get this installed. The application downloads the files ok, launches the install for each component but when it (finally) gets to SQL Publishing Wizard, a windows msgbox pops up stating Invalid license data. Reinstall is required". This msgbox is an OK only box. I click on OK and the install continues it's thing and then reports all components install successfully! After the installer is finished and closes. I try to launch the app from the Start menu and it opens the Visual Studio 2008 application and displays the design interface OK But befor...

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Visual Web Developer Express can't connect to Express dabase --Help please .
I have installed   Download Visual Web Developer Express now, with the Express database that is downlaoded with, then tries to create a Personal web site starter kit, but i am getting the following error.An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)...

can't install ajaxControlToolKit with Visual Web Developer 2008 express
 Hi,i'm having problems installing ajaxControlToolKitI've downloaded asp.net 3.5 extentions and ajaxControlToolKit. I installed asp.net extensions and unziped ajaxControlToolKit. When i try to choose items inside toolbox tab in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express it says: "There was an error loading assembly c:/.../ajaxControlToolKit.dll.  Could not load file or assembly System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=..." Or one of its dependencies. I have .net framework v3.5What am i doing wrong?Thanks   I solved my pro...

Bugs? The summary created in MasterPage.master do't show in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition!
I create a public function "public void show()" in MasterPage and write a summary "This is summary" for the function but when I type the function Master.show() in Default.aspx.cs in Web Developer 2008 Express , I find the summary "This is summary" of the function don't show, bugs? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<%@ Page Title="" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="...

Using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express edition bata 2 I am unable to connect to a SQL compact 3.5 database.
Using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express edition bata 2 I am unable to connect to a SQL compact 3.5 database. When using the Choose Data Source wizard the option to connect to a SQL Compact 3.5 data base is not presented as one of the options.  When I drag and drop the database file NorthWind.sdf to the solution explorer I receive the following message "The data provider required to connect to the local file could not be found.  The file will be added to the project but the typed DataSet associated with the file will not be generated." As a beginning programer I am stump...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

How to delete a web site in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
I cannot believe that I am asking a question like this. But goes... How does one delete (remove) a web site in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition? I looked high and low through the menu system and the toolbars. But I could find what for me would be an obvious menu item the file menu. Feel a bit silly, but I thought I best ask. Maybe I am missing something extremely obvious. So obvious that I am blinded by it. When you create a website through VWD, the default location for saving is: My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\AppName . You can remove the website by deleting that fo...

Connecting to my database from Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
Hi,I'm having a few problems getting my head around SQL Server Express, so I'd be really grateful for any pointers. Here is my problem:I have created an application that uses a database in VWD 2008. The database was created by 'Adding Item' in the Solution Explorer of VWD and resides in the App_Data folder. Reading and writing data was fine until I needed to perform some more complex database admin and used SQL Server Management Studio Express.I detached my database in VWD and attached it Management Studio Express. The database appeared and I did the necessary work, but I now...

Visual Web Developer Express 2008 SQL database connection problem
I am using VWD Express 2008 with SQL Express 2008 on XP Pro SP3.  When I try to configure a database gridview connection using the Add Connection wizard I can select the server name in the dropdown and the AdventureWorks2008 in the select database dropdown.  When I click on OK I get a Microsoft Visual Studio error "object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Any help is appreciated, thanks. I suspected that the package load failures I was getting was the root cause of this problem. After solving the package load failure problem everything worked as...

Oracle Data Provider for .NET and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
Hi All, Can we use ODP.net with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition?If yes, which version of ODP.net has to be installed and if not, what is the alternative for this? I have ODTwithODAC10202 installed on my machine. But when I run my application, I am getting the following Exception, The type intializer for Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection threw an Exception. Hope any body could suggest me the right solution and guide me furthur. Thanks, Lakshya Friend, ODP.Net has the support to Visual Studio 2008, here is the link for that http://www.oracle.com/technology/s...

ReportViewer MS Visual Web Dev 2008 Express doesn't work
Hi Just trying to get my had around reportviewer in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 .   I ran RepportViewer.exe redisbution for 2008 on the server but and I cannot see ReportViewer in toolbox under Data in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 installed on the server . So I decided to do it manually but I'm still having an error "Error creating control failed to create designer ..."   I added in web.config that: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" /> <add assembly="Microsoft...

connecting to a ms sql server database with visual studio web developer express 2008
how do I let users who visit my site update the database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008. so i want to add a coments page for example where users enter their name email, comments in textboxes. And then this is updtated in the sql server database. also how does one get the isp number to also be updated in the database. So basically users must be able to add new records to the database First create a connection object to your database Then create dataAdapter In the dataAdapter specify your Sql statement and lastly execute the statement All of these steps are a little more involved, let know if you need something more specific... hi thanks for the answer but i think i need more details. since what i want to do is on the design view add a comments text box, an email text box and a name text box and a comments text boxand i want users to enter these details into these text boxes and then the database to store these new records when they click submit or ok. also i want to get their isp address and also enter this into the database.   like what code to i put into the comments page.aspx.vb or the source view of comments page.aspx   Thanks Taryn hi, Check this link  http://aspnet101.com/aspnet101/tutorials.aspx?id=36 -----------:) MAdHU ----------- I believe the best solution would be to add a connection to the SQL Server within the database explorer window and then drag the tables to the .aspx page. This will create a gridvi...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Why can't i compile and make a *.dll file with my visual web developer 2005 express edition?
I  downloaded Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. But it doesn't seem to put the *.dll file into the bin folder after compiling. And it does not make out a *.dll file. Could anybody tell me how to config it so that it is able to put *.dll files into bin folder like VS 2003 does?Any helps would be appreciated. Hello will98, with ASP.NET 2 some things have changed. One of them is the compilation model. This version uses a concept called Dynamic Compilation, which uses Special Folders to support it. Now, you don't need a compilation step to generate your assem...

Is there a free UML tool which can create class diagrams for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition?
I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with C# to create website, I hope to get a class diagrams from a project,is there a free UML tool for Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with C# to do that? Thanks!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Hi, I do not think there is any vwd 2008 addon tool to create uml, except visio. We can import visio diagrams to vs 2008, but visio is not free. There are so many free tool to create uml diagrams, check this list from wikipedia http://en....

Where can I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dll (I'm a Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Ed. user)
Hi, I use a 3rd party ASP.NET control which refers to Microsoft.mshtml.dllto run it's GUI designer. I found out by installing Visual Web Developer 2008, this dll does notget installed. I discovered that not the Web Developer but installing the VB(C#) 2008 Express Editions will get the SDK for VS2008 Express Ed.Tools. However, this SDK did not include the Microsoft.mshtml.dlleither. I remember .NET 2.0 SDK contained the Microsoft.mshtml.dll.Could you kindly point out how and where could I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dllinto my GAC please. Thank you.yagimay .NET 2.0 SDK is here ht...

letting users who visit a website add records to a sql server database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008
in visual studio web developer express edition 2008 i added a new item this was a sql server database which i called test2. I added a table called comments, and the fields name, email, comments, IPAddress, and Date and in my comments.aspx page i added a name textbox, a texbox for email, a textbox for comments and the submit button i double clicked on the submit button and added the following code  Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click        Dim mydS As New SqlDataSource   ...

A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, why couldn't it be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition?
A stored procedure can be created correctly in Beta 2, why couldn't it be created correctly in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition? The stored procedure Hellocw_GetAllFoldersByUserId can be created correctly in Beta 2, but when I try to create it again in final Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,I get a error, why?  Are there some changes about Xquery language between final edition and Beta 2? create procedure Hellocw_GetAllFoldersByUserId@userId varchar(80),   --This line cause the error "Msg 2389, Level 16, State 1, Procedure Hellocw_InsertBookmark, Li...

Web resources about - Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition...Can't connect to Database - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Hands-On With the Android N Developer Beta: Multi-Window & More
Yesterday Google surprised a number of people by launching the developer beta of the next release of Android, which is codenamed Android N. Normally ...

Dell releases new XPS 13 Developer Edition, launches Linux-based Precision laptops worldwide
... for prosumers. It all started out nearly four years ago with Project Sputnik , which led to the release of the first-gen XPS 13 Developer Edition, ...

Exclusive: Microsoft, developer partner to create $500 million ‘smart city’
Microsoft is partnering with techie-turned-real estate developer Minh Le to build a 2.5 million-square-foot, $500 million "smart city" in a suburb ...

7 tips to ace a final-stage engineering interview at Facebook, from a developer who conducts them
Facebook is one of the most desirable companies for job-seekers . Engineers are attracted to the company because it gives developers a chance ...

Dive into this deep well of digital developer knowledge
... include digital development, today’s your lucky day. SitePoint Premium is a massive library of courses, videos and e-books aimed at web developers, ...

Deal: Buy a Pixel C Tablet for 25% Off, If You’re a Developer
To celebrate the launch of the Android N Developer Preview , Google is offering developers (or anyone willing to try, basically), the chance ...

What Developers Are Finding in Google's Android N Preview
Google is giving developers an early look at its next Android release, Android N. Here's why it's already generating considerable interest among ...

How to install the Android N developer preview on your device right now
Android N is still a few months away form release, but you can try it now, assuming you have a recent Nexus device.