Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition - Bug in Hyperlink property "ImageUrl"

When I use a hyperlink on a webform I get an error in the Designview tab:

Screenshot errormessage

Error in designtab:

code in sourcetab:

0
BenCoo

Your images are not visible in my browser....what the error message says?

Joydeep Sen
Dotnet Developer

Dont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.
This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers

0
joydeepsen
4/13/2009 12:25:38 PM

I try to copy and paste the screenshots here but that isn't working.

code in source-tab:

<asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1" runat="server"

ImageUrl="~/App_Media/Graphics/Gif/Warning.gif">HyperLink</asp:HyperLink>

I get the error in the designtab:

Error Rendering Control - Hyperlink 1
An Unhandled exception has occured.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

It doesn't metter what graphic is used (*.gif, *.jpg, *.png, ...)

0
BenCoo
4/13/2009 1:50:29 PM

 first of all during web design in any language wheter its asp or any other extension of image is important and you might getting this error for this reason gof any previous reference is incorrect

0
lizarussel
4/14/2009 12:18:32 PM

 What I will say is: Do some cross check.

1. Do you see the images and graphics in the same browser for other application?

2. Is your gif location correct?

3. Try using Alternate text incase image not available, That u guide you.

4. May be check browser secuirity if all settings are perfect.

Soumen, India

0
Rimbik
4/15/2009 9:05:32 AM

BenCoo:
Error Rendering Control - Hyperlink 1
An Unhandled exception has occured.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ya...i also tried to repro it and i also found the same problem in vs2008 as well as vs2005. But while running the page it is perfectly showing the image.

Joydeep Sen
Dotnet Developer

Dont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.
This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers

0
joydeepsen
4/15/2009 9:09:37 AM

Goodday Souman,

All your sugestions I've looking true and, unfortunatly, I have to write they are all OK in my developmentenvironment.

 Thanks,

Ben, Belgium

0
BenCoo
4/15/2009 2:05:35 PM

Actually this is a know bug in the framework. ASP.NET team is working on a hotfix. There is related thread http://forums.asp.net/t/1378234.aspx

Mikhail
4/15/2009 6:02:45 PM

So everyone who is using a Hyperlink control with an ImageURL is experiencing this problem? Another thread stated that the message ("Error Rendering Control") was caused by a missing DLL, so I guess that was unfounded, eh?

Any ideas when this annoyance will be fixed (and publicized)?

:) KevInKauai

http://forums.asp.net/t/1409768.aspx

0
KevInKauai
4/17/2009 9:13:27 AM

This issue has been fixed in Vista/Windows 2008 SP2. And the fix for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 is available at:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=18157.

Thanks guys !

0
BenCoo
4/30/2009 4:53:44 PM

Uh, thanks, BenCoo but that page gets me a "not found" because you included the terminating period (full stop) in the URL. A successful URL is:

 https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=18157

:)  KevInKauai

0
KevInKauai

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

"tab order" in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
 Does anyone know how to set the tab order in visual "web" developer 2008 express...  In 2005 Pro you could just click on "View -> Tab Order" and then click the order of the tabs but it obviously isn't the same in 2008 Express...  The View->Tab Order is only available for Windows project templates, not Web project templates, so VWD doesn't have that option. Rachel AppelMVP - ASPInsider  so how do I set the tab order...  Can't I at least do it in the source code?  If so how would I do that?   say I have tw...

Does anyone know a good "Quick Quiz Builder" for free that would work in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express?
Quick Quiz Builder do u check thiese engine ? http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-04.aspxtotal series :http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/ Sagnik Mukherjee,Thanks. Not that sort of thing. The Quick Quiz Builder are like sort of games that you basically just have to change the wording, just as an add on to the site. I was just wondering for compatibilities with the VWD.  Have a look at:http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/xmlquiz.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/IntegratedQuiz.aspxhttp://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Quiz_CShapDotNETSecrets.aspxhttp://www.code...

No "Publish Website" in Web Developer 2008 Express
I just made my first website with one asp webform page (an emailed form) and one plain html page and am not able to compile it and publish it to the remote server.  Is it just me (I'm a complete newbie at this and stumbling along) or does microsoft actually make you buy the full version to do this?  I mean, why allow one to make an asp site and then not be able to compile it? VWD Express does not have the Publish Website Tool. To publish your website in VWD you would use Copy Web Site under 'Website' in the main menu. With your site open in VWD, click Website>...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Can I develop our company's internal application with "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
Dear All, Can I develop our company's internal WEB application with "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"? Any constraint or strict if using "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"? For example, user connections / database size (we are going to use mdb not sql server express). We are going to develop a simple Job Request management system for our department, are there any template download for reference (IT help desk).  Regards, Owen   Visual Web Dev 2005 does not have any limitations that it imposes that I know of.  It's actually quite fully featured-...

How to delete a web site in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
I cannot believe that I am asking a question like this. But goes... How does one delete (remove) a web site in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition? I looked high and low through the menu system and the toolbars. But I could find what for me would be an obvious menu item the file menu. Feel a bit silly, but I thought I best ask. Maybe I am missing something extremely obvious. So obvious that I am blinded by it. When you create a website through VWD, the default location for saving is: My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\AppName . You can remove the website by deleting that fo...

Oracle Data Provider for .NET and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
Hi All, Can we use ODP.net with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition?If yes, which version of ODP.net has to be installed and if not, what is the alternative for this? I have ODTwithODAC10202 installed on my machine. But when I run my application, I am getting the following Exception, The type intializer for Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection threw an Exception. Hope any body could suggest me the right solution and guide me furthur. Thanks, Lakshya Friend, ODP.Net has the support to Visual Studio 2008, here is the link for that http://www.oracle.com/technology/s...

I really Need Help with " Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition" with Password Recovery !
I created a Database type in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition that users can register them selves and create pass and store their email....etc..  And I made an Option for them to Recover their Password but after that it asks their Username then Secure Question and then after that instead of sending the password to their entered email it Give me an error...Could anyone Please! Help me..... I really need to know how to let it send the password automatically to their saved email address...And another thing which is very important " How should i upload my files to the Ser...

Can I use Crystal Report file (.rpt) with Visual Web Developer 2008 "Exprerss" Edition?
Hi, I have some .rpt files available which I would like to use to generate reports. Can I use with Express edition?...

Web resources about - Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition - Bug in Hyperlink property "ImageUrl" - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express