Visual Studio Express Codename "Orcas" CTP Released!

The first Community Technology Preview of all four Visual Studio Express Codename "Orcas" products are available for download now!  Just go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/future/default.aspx to download and install.

Visual Web Developer Codename "Orcas" Express Edition released a number of new features including a brand new HTML designer with improved support for creating rich CSS and AJAX-enabled appliactions. That said, this is the first time in the Orcas release cycle that we’ve posted this software for your feedback so there are a few rough edges.  Your feedback on whether they’re easy to use will help us shape what goes into this release.

So please download and check them out! If you can, give feedback on http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback.

Thanks!

Weston Hutchins
Program Manager - Visual Studio Express
0
westonh

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

"tab order" in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
 Does anyone know how to set the tab order in visual "web" developer 2008 express...  In 2005 Pro you could just click on "View -> Tab Order" and then click the order of the tabs but it obviously isn't the same in 2008 Express...  The View->Tab Order is only available for Windows project templates, not Web project templates, so VWD doesn't have that option. Rachel AppelMVP - ASPInsider  so how do I set the tab order...  Can't I at least do it in the source code?  If so how would I do that?   say I have tw...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
When I use a hyperlink on a webform I get an error in the Designview tab: Error in designtab:   code in sourcetab: </td> Your images are not visible in my browser....what the error message says?Joydeep SenDotnet DeveloperDont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers I try to copy and paste the screenshots here but that isn't working. code in source-tab: <td class="style12"><asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1...

Does anyone know a good "Quick Quiz Builder" for free that would work in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express?
Quick Quiz Builder do u check thiese engine ? http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-04.aspxtotal series :http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/ Sagnik Mukherjee,Thanks. Not that sort of thing. The Quick Quiz Builder are like sort of games that you basically just have to change the wording, just as an add on to the site. I was just wondering for compatibilities with the VWD.  Have a look at:http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/xmlquiz.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/IntegratedQuiz.aspxhttp://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Quiz_CShapDotNETSecrets.aspxhttp://www.code...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

"Failure to create a user instance"
 On Windows Server 2008 - I installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced.I ported over several Websites from a Windows 2003 Web Server.When I go into the V.W.D. Solution Explorer for a given website, I see the MDF files ported from 2003, but when I go into Database Explorer to work with the data,  I get a Package Load Failure and the database will not connect.  Instead it says, "Failure to create a user instance of SQL Server, due to a failure in starting the process for the use instance. The connection will be closed."And whe...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Express Codename "Orcas" Images now available!
The Visual Studio Express Codename "Orcas" April CTP images are now available on the Express download page.  Please follow the "Manual Install Instructions" to download and install the Express images. Weston HutchinsProgram Manager - Visual Studio Express...

Why is Visual Studio 2008 very slow when going from "source" to "design" in the markup ?
and at times it just sits there and freezes for about a minute or so .. Is it to do with style sheets ,? is there some option to turn this off ?   thanks robby Hi Robby, did you also install SP1 for Visual Studio 2008? Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. Hi, i am pretty sure i did. How can i check (is it under the Help--> About option? Also is that the only service pack for VS08 ?  thanks robby Hi, yes, it's the only service pack. There was also a hot fix rollup but if ...

No "Publish Website" in Web Developer 2008 Express
I just made my first website with one asp webform page (an emailed form) and one plain html page and am not able to compile it and publish it to the remote server.  Is it just me (I'm a complete newbie at this and stumbling along) or does microsoft actually make you buy the full version to do this?  I mean, why allow one to make an asp site and then not be able to compile it? VWD Express does not have the Publish Website Tool. To publish your website in VWD you would use Copy Web Site under 'Website' in the main menu. With your site open in VWD, click Website>...

Web resources about - Visual Studio Express Codename "Orcas" CTP Released! - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express