Use VWD 2008 Express to open Windows 2008/IIS7 site

I'm running a DotNetNuke site on a remote ISP.  I've tried to connect to the site with VWD 2008 Express and it reports that the site does not have FrontPage Extensions installed.  ISP reports that FrontPage Extensions are not supported on Windows 2008/IIS7 site.  Is this true?  Can a Windows 2008/IIS7 site not be opened with VWD 2008 Express?  That doesn't seem logical.  Is there some add-in or other configuration I have to specify in order to connect to a Windows 2008 site?

0
gdemarco

IIS7 has to have IIS6 compatibility layer installed to work with VWD Express (and Visual Studio 2008). This can be done in Control Panel | Windows Components.

Mikhail
4/11/2008 7:47:08 PM

Are IIS6 compatibility layer and Front Page Extensions the same thing?  My hosting service says they will not install Front Page Extensions on Win 2008/IIS7 server and they seem to think IIS6 compatibility layer is the same thing?  Sorry for asking something so basic, but I don't have access at the admin level to a Win 2008 machine, so I can't check for myself.  The problem is that I am at the mercy of the hosting service . . .  Thanks.

0
gdemarco

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

vwd express 2008 markup error in Master Page
Hi I was running the VWD 2008 Express version beta and everything worked as I needed it to..Apart from the registration process. I found on a forum it was an error with the program. (I downloaded it then burnt it to a disc) one of the two options. It turns out the way round it is to uninstall the whole package and do a download installation of the latest release. This has resolved the registration issue however every page I open now shows a "Page contains markup that is not valid when attached to master page" The only way round this is to click on the code make a slight change ie p...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

VWD 2008 Express & SQL Server 2008 Express & Hosting Options
Hey all, go easy on me, this is my first post On my development PC, I am using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express (the free one) along with SQL Server 2008 Express (the free one).  I am building a small scale database application (1 database) and would like to host this on the internet so that others can access it and report back on usability and bugs etc.  It doesn't need to be mega-fast at the moment. I am unsure of what type of hosting to buy, as there are many different options available.  I guess I have the following questions : Is there hosting specific to the...

Web Site Administration Tool and aspnetdb
The problem occurred when I tried to make some roles or create an user, in WSAP. Before I installed VS2008 and SQL Server express 2008 on my Win XP OS, everything worked fine with VS 2005 and SQL Express 2005. I removed both of older versions and installed new ones. In the beginning I couldn't open Security tab in WSAT I've got some error. Than I searched the Internet for solution: reinstalled VS 2008 added all components required for the server, and reinstalled it too. After some settings I could get into Security tab and make new roles and users, but when I went back in to my proje...

visual web developer 2008 express installed need upgrade vwd 2008 sp1
Hi all, any one can help me on this, i have installed visual web developer 2008 express edition on windows server 2003  R2 standard edition service pack 2 now i need to upgrade visual  web developer express edition service pack 1  when I serach i found vwd 2008 with SP1 link to download. but my question is since i have already installed VWD 2008 can I only run service pack update so that upgrade VWD 2008 to VWD 2008 with SP1. any ideas?   Yes. You can aplly the SP-1 to VWD 2008 to upgrade it from the link provided. If you have other VS Express edition programs su...

"Failure to create a user instance"
 On Windows Server 2008 - I installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced.I ported over several Websites from a Windows 2003 Web Server.When I go into the V.W.D. Solution Explorer for a given website, I see the MDF files ported from 2003, but when I go into Database Explorer to work with the data,  I get a Package Load Failure and the database will not connect.  Instead it says, "Failure to create a user instance of SQL Server, due to a failure in starting the process for the use instance. The connection will be closed."And whe...

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

How do I open an existing web site in Visual Web Dveloper 2008 Express
I'm really not getting this ASP.NET stuff, so I thought I would open an existing site and see ow it looks... cant seem to do it. I have a few HTML/CSS web sites in xampp/htdocs folder, so I select Open Web Site in Web Developer, go to the directory, and click on the site - just get a blank page, and no CSS. Any suggestions? Richard When you select the directory, what do you see in the Solution Explorer?Christopher Reed"The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient." I see the "solution" to my problem: it shows all the files/sub directories in the direct...

VWD 2008 Express Edition or VS 2008 Trial Version for developing client web application?
I am still waiting for the Visual Studios 2008 to be release to non-MSDN subscribers, which will be the end of February. I have a client that need a web application to be implemented. I'm anixous to start learning and using the new tools in Visual Studios 2008. I was wondering, can I use the VWD 2008 Express Edition or Visual Studios 2008 trial version to implement the web application for the client? Or is there a difference between VWD 2008 Express Edition and Visual Studios 2008 trial version to the Visual Studios 2008 Professional Edition? Thanks... You van us...

Problem using SMS express with VWD Express 2008.
Hi guys, Looking for some help please... I have developed a Site using VWD express 2008 and within the site I added a Log-in control and this generated a Database for me called ASPNETDB.MDF, I used this DB with the site Admin feature (Again the auto generated pages!) to add some users so I could test the function of the control. All worked fine :-) Then because I wanted to make some large additions to the DB I used SMS Express to attach to the DB and make the required changes (Add tables etc!). Once finished I detached from the DB in SMS and closed it down then re-opened VWDx an...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Web resources about - Use VWD 2008 Express to open Windows 2008/IIS7 site - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express