Smart Tags don't work correctly in VWD 2008

Hi.

I have following problem: If I want to access smart tags on certain web controls, like the button control, I can't access them (the smart tags)

I right click on the button, but the smart tag entry is grayed out. It works on some other controls, like listbox.

Maybe it has something to do with this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=419975&SiteID=1

?

But the problem described in that link refers to VS 2005..

0
cantfindbettername

*bump*

0
cantfindbettername
11/22/2007 6:18:46 PM

Not all controls have smart tasks. I don't think button control has one. Calendar definitely does.

Mikhail
11/23/2007 4:21:56 PM

Well, but it's mentioned in the MSDN Express Library that buttons do have smart tags.

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v90/MS.msdnexpress.v90.en/dv_vwdcon/html/ea69b7df-494e-4723-a430-8275a6db406a.htm

To add an AJAX extender control

  1. Switch to Design view.

  2. If the page does not already contain a ScriptManager control, from the AJAX Extensions tab of the Toolbox, drag one onto the page.

    Note:

    A ScriptManager control is required to support AJAX functionality.

  3. From the Standard tab of the Toolbox, drag a Button control onto the page.

  4. If the Common Button Tasks shortcut menu does not appear, right-click the Button control and then click Show Smart Tag.

  5. On the Common Button Tasks menu, click Add Extender.

  6. In the Extender Wizard, in the Choose the functionality to add to Button1 list, click ConfirmButtonExtender, and then click OK.

    Note:

    You can also add an extender control by dragging the extender control from the Toolbox directly onto the Button control.

  7. In the Properties window, expand the Extenders tab, and then expand Button1_ConfirmButtonExtender.

  8. Set the ConfirmText property to Continue?.

0
cantfindbettername
11/23/2007 7:16:46 PM

Extenders are different case. Look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1184181.aspx

Mikhail
11/23/2007 8:53:35 PM

Yes, but, still, shouldn't the smart tag appear?

 The doc says: "right-click the Button control and then click Show Smart Tag"

It looks like it (the smart tag entry) should be always clickable, or?

Here is an sreenshot of the gray-out:

 http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/34841/2000463596183998655_rs.jpg

0
cantfindbettername
11/23/2007 9:08:43 PM

 Hi there,

I got the same problem. check by hovering over the control toolkit to see if the controls are version 3.*** I still had the controls version 1 referenced. after resetting the toolbox and installing the latest 3.0.**** version the smart tags appeared right away . Hope this helps

0
Divecrew
12/7/2007 12:21:11 AM

I also have the same problem. Could you elaborate on how to do the controls version 3.***

0
Aideman

ReportViewer MS Visual Web Dev 2008 Express doesn't work
Hi Just trying to get my had around reportviewer in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 .   I ran RepportViewer.exe redisbution for 2008 on the server but and I cannot see ReportViewer in toolbox under Data in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 installed on the server . So I decided to do it manually but I'm still having an error "Error creating control failed to create designer ..."   I added in web.config that: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" /> <add assembly="Microsoft...

vwd express 2008 markup error in Master Page
Hi I was running the VWD 2008 Express version beta and everything worked as I needed it to..Apart from the registration process. I found on a forum it was an error with the program. (I downloaded it then burnt it to a disc) one of the two options. It turns out the way round it is to uninstall the whole package and do a download installation of the latest release. This has resolved the registration issue however every page I open now shows a "Page contains markup that is not valid when attached to master page" The only way round this is to click on the code make a slight change ie p...

Cannot get the 'Design' or 'Split' feature to work in VWD 2008 Express
I have XP Pro SP3.   Downloaded VWD 2008 Express from the MSN site. There was no problem in installation. Now, I want to start programming. But I cannot get the designer / split view to work. Here are the steps: 1. Double-click on VWD icon on the desktop. 2. Click on File\NewFile3. In the New File dialog box, click on C# and Web Form items.4. Hit the Open button at the bottom.5. IDE opens with Default1.aspx6. In the toolbox, click on HTML to expand it.7. In the Server Objects & Events pane; place the cursor on the empty line between the <div> and </div> line...

Web Deployment Project 2008 doesn't work with Visual Studio 2008 SDK
Why ??? After removing Visual Studio 2008 SDK all works egain as expected How can I make them work together on the same machine ??? Hi, What do you mean it doesn't work? Did you get any error message? I test it on my machine, and it works fine with Visual Studio 2008 SDK. I download Visual Studio 2008 SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=30402623-93ca-479a-867c-04dc45164f5b&displaylang=en I download Visual Studio┬« 2008 Web Deployment Projects - RTW from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0AA30AE8-C73B-4BDD-BB1B-FE697256C...

Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express
 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.  VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008. I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this. What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this i...

AJAX in VWD 2008 Express SP1
I'm following one of the examples from the O'Reilly book ASP.NET 3.5 with AJAX and having problems.  I've upgraded to .NET 3.5 SP1, Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1, and I'm using the AJAX 3.5 SP1 toolkit (installed per the instructions).  I've made reference to the .dll in my project, installed the .vsi for the templates, and added the toolbar and the tools show up.  I can drag them in with no problems and build the project successfully.However, when I run the project the AJAX piece doesn't work although I've followed the code exactly in the book exa...

VWD Express 2008 and Firefox don't play well
 Hi, Just wondering if anyone else have this issue. When using Firefox to view the pages during development, it is very slow to render the pages. IE, Opera, Safari works fine. Any ideas? This problem has been fixed. The solution: 1.) In Firefox url bar, type about:config 2.) Filter for v6 (this is an IPV6 issue with firefox)3.) Rightclick on network.dns.disableipv6 and select toggleA nice solution that works! ...

Program doesn't stop in debugmode on breakpoint (V Web Dev 2008 Express)
Goodday to you all,  When I set a breakpoint in my source- and/or codewindow (image is an example):   The program doesn't stop excecution at that point (of-course there's no yellow arrow shown in the red dot while the program isn't on hold) These are my debugsettings (Via Tools->Options): Any sugestions on this ?Thanks in advance,Ben Is it possible that the line with the breakpoint is never executing?Steve Wellens My blog Yes, I figured that out. When I insert something like this on line 21 MsgBox("Here I am", MsgBoxStyle.Informat...

VWD 2008 Express app works locally, but can't access from remote machine on LAN
I am developing a web app in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express. I have the port set to 8085 and turned off dynamic port assignment. When I right click on a page and select Display in Browser, IE comes up with a URL like this:  http://localhost:8085/SiteName/PageName.aspx and it works fine.  If I change the URL to replace "localhost" with the machine name (http://MachineName.DomainName.com:8085/SiteName/PageName.aspx, it also works fine.  If I go to a machine in the next cubicle and put in that URL, I get: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage &nb...

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

after installing web matrix VB.NET web page don't work
I just started with ASP.NET in VB.NET. I had developed a simple web page and it worked fine. Then I installed web matrix and started playing with it. When I go back to VB and try to run the program (that worked before) I get an error: "Unable to start debugging on the web server. Could not start ASP.NET or ATL server debugging." How do I get VB.NET to working again? I'm not sure why your existing Web application don't work after the installation of Web Matrix, as they can live without conflict in fact, did you try to look for an answer from the support.microsoft.com about the ...

Sending email via the port 465 of Gmail don't work! I don't know if there are bugs in .NET.
I use the following code to send  email via  Gmail , it works well when I use client.Port = 587, but it doesn't work if I use client.Port = 465 !  but If I use email client software such as Outlook Express with port 465, it woks well, I don't know if there are bugs in .NET.     protected void btnSend_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)    {        //Add Async="true" to .ASPX page         SmtpClient client=new SmtpClient();     ...

sqlserver 2008 can't work with Visual studio 2008
when I try to make a sqldatasource with visual studio 2008 and SQLServer 2008 . I found that there are a message that the visual studio 2008 can support only SQLServer 2005 and SQLServer 2000how to make my visual studio 2008 support SQLServer 2008  Currently I don't think it can. There is an add-in for Visual Studio 2005 that gives it support for SQL Server 2008 which can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E1109AEF-1AA2-408D-AA0F-9DF094F993BF&displaylang=en However, I do not think this will work for VS 2008, and I don't thin...

Do Visual Studio 2008 & VWD 2008 Express Projects work together?
I'm about to set up a new dev PC for learning ASP.NET with the Express versions of SQL Server 2008 and Visual Web Developer SP1. However, i'm thinking forward to the time when i would want to purchase the licensed version of Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008 from MS. If i develop solutions and projects using VWD Express, can i continue developing these 'express' projects and solutions when i upgrade to the licensed versions of Visual Studio? The only reason i ask is because i am having a terrible conflict between my current S...

Web resources about - Smart Tags don't work correctly in VWD 2008 - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express