Published 'My First Website' from Introduction to Visual Web Developer 2008 Express ...Runtime error

I followed the introduction video and successfully compiled the 'My First Website' with the pictures and basic text control. After the build it ran fine locally. I changed the debugging options as suggested in the video and recompiled. I then copied the website using a shared drive (file system copy) to a Windows 2003 server running IIS with ASP.net 3.5. The result was Server error in '/' Application Runtime error.

After searching this error I found many possible fixes, reg edits etc.

I then published the website to a windows 2000 server, it worked except for the text control. I installed asp.net 2.0 and then received the same Server error in '/' Application

Is there something that needs to be configured in IIS, ASP, or permissions? I would like to work with this Visual Web Developer but it seems pointless if I can't publish to a real IIS webserver.

Thanks for any input.

0
Jimmytime

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express
 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.  VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008. I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this. What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this i...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Can't Install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have tried 3 times over 10 hours to get this installed. The application downloads the files ok, launches the install for each component but when it (finally) gets to SQL Publishing Wizard, a windows msgbox pops up stating Invalid license data. Reinstall is required". This msgbox is an OK only box. I click on OK and the install continues it's thing and then reports all components install successfully! After the installer is finished and closes. I try to launch the app from the Start menu and it opens the Visual Studio 2008 application and displays the design interface OK But befor...

can't install ajaxControlToolKit with Visual Web Developer 2008 express
 Hi,i'm having problems installing ajaxControlToolKitI've downloaded asp.net 3.5 extentions and ajaxControlToolKit. I installed asp.net extensions and unziped ajaxControlToolKit. When i try to choose items inside toolbox tab in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express it says: "There was an error loading assembly c:/.../ajaxControlToolKit.dll.  Could not load file or assembly System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=..." Or one of its dependencies. I have .net framework v3.5What am i doing wrong?Thanks   I solved my pro...

ReportViewer MS Visual Web Dev 2008 Express doesn't work
Hi Just trying to get my had around reportviewer in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 .   I ran RepportViewer.exe redisbution for 2008 on the server but and I cannot see ReportViewer in toolbox under Data in MS Visual Web Dev 2008 installed on the server . So I decided to do it manually but I'm still having an error "Error creating control failed to create designer ..."   I added in web.config that: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" /> <add assembly="Microsoft...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition...Can't connect to Database
Sorry to bring this topic up again....seems like such a noobie question, however I have done almost everything I can to try to connect to database through the ASP.NET Configuration and then going to  "Provider Configuration". When I first started using this program maybe a week or so ago, I had Windows XP. The only thing that I specified in my firewall was just to give access to VWD, and that was it. But recently after getting Windows Vista, I am sure it is not the operating system, I can't seem to connect to the database. This has been going on for some time now and I hav...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Where can I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dll (I'm a Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Ed. user)
Hi, I use a 3rd party ASP.NET control which refers to Microsoft.mshtml.dllto run it's GUI designer. I found out by installing Visual Web Developer 2008, this dll does notget installed. I discovered that not the Web Developer but installing the VB(C#) 2008 Express Editions will get the SDK for VS2008 Express Ed.Tools. However, this SDK did not include the Microsoft.mshtml.dlleither. I remember .NET 2.0 SDK contained the Microsoft.mshtml.dll.Could you kindly point out how and where could I get the Microsoft.mshtml.dllinto my GAC please. Thank you.yagimay .NET 2.0 SDK is here ht...

Bugs? The summary created in MasterPage.master do't show in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition!
I create a public function "public void show()" in MasterPage and write a summary "This is summary" for the function but when I type the function Master.show() in Default.aspx.cs in Web Developer 2008 Express , I find the summary "This is summary" of the function don't show, bugs? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<%@ Page Title="" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
Hi, Is it possible to integrate a Web Deployment Project into a VWD 2008 Express solution?  I installed WebDeploymentSetup.msi but my VWD 2008 Express solution won't load the Web Deployment project.  If it is not possible to do this, is there a workaround such that I can 'mimic' the functionaity of the Web Deployment Project using only VWD 2008 Express?  My basic problem right now is that my VWD 2008 Express solution is capable of building all the standard projects it contains into .dll's, but the Web Deployment project is not loaded and therefore can't ...

Web resources about - Published 'My First Website' from Introduction to Visual Web Developer 2008 Express ...Runtime error - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express