No "Publish Website" in Web Developer 2008 Express

I just made my first website with one asp webform page (an emailed form) and one plain html page and am not able to compile it and publish it to the remote server.  Is it just me (I'm a complete newbie at this and stumbling along) or does microsoft actually make you buy the full version to do this?  I mean, why allow one to make an asp site and then not be able to compile it?

0
baygazer

VWD Express does not have the Publish Website Tool. To publish your website in VWD you would use Copy Web Site under 'Website' in the main menu. With your site open in VWD, click Website>Copy Web Site...

The local site currently open in VWD will be in the left pane. At the top of the right hand pane, click 'Connect'. In the 'Open Web Site dialog, choose the appropriate location and open the remote site. If the remote site is on an ftp site or a production server on the www, you will likely have to supply any required credentials. Once you connect, you should be able to copy your local files to the remote server.

You can use VWD Help, and search for "Copy Web Site."

Hope this helps,

-Preston.

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA USA
0
Preston
12/5/2008 1:38:40 AM

 how can i use VWD SP1's copy website mode behind proxy. there is no option to set

0
jitendra

"tab order" in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
 Does anyone know how to set the tab order in visual "web" developer 2008 express...  In 2005 Pro you could just click on "View -> Tab Order" and then click the order of the tabs but it obviously isn't the same in 2008 Express...  The View->Tab Order is only available for Windows project templates, not Web project templates, so VWD doesn't have that option. Rachel AppelMVP - ASPInsider  so how do I set the tab order...  Can't I at least do it in the source code?  If so how would I do that?   say I have tw...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
When I use a hyperlink on a webform I get an error in the Designview tab: Error in designtab:   code in sourcetab: </td> Your images are not visible in my browser....what the error message says?Joydeep SenDotnet DeveloperDont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers I try to copy and paste the screenshots here but that isn't working. code in source-tab: <td class="style12"><asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1...

Does anyone know a good "Quick Quiz Builder" for free that would work in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express?
Quick Quiz Builder do u check thiese engine ? http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-04.aspxtotal series :http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/ Sagnik Mukherjee,Thanks. Not that sort of thing. The Quick Quiz Builder are like sort of games that you basically just have to change the wording, just as an add on to the site. I was just wondering for compatibilities with the VWD.  Have a look at:http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/xmlquiz.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/IntegratedQuiz.aspxhttp://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Quiz_CShapDotNETSecrets.aspxhttp://www.code...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

"Failure to create a user instance"
 On Windows Server 2008 - I installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced.I ported over several Websites from a Windows 2003 Web Server.When I go into the V.W.D. Solution Explorer for a given website, I see the MDF files ported from 2003, but when I go into Database Explorer to work with the data,  I get a Package Load Failure and the database will not connect.  Instead it says, "Failure to create a user instance of SQL Server, due to a failure in starting the process for the use instance. The connection will be closed."And whe...

web developer 2008 express/publishing v. copy website
Hi, i have created a website using wd2008 express and used the built-in tool "copy website" to upload the site to my host. i have since started to test and the load time on my pages (even the simplest of pages) is horrible. It takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds to render the page. There doesn't seem to be a clear way for compiling/publishing the site via the wd2008 express environment so i decided to use aspnet_compiler but keep getting the following error:  error 1001:Unexepected parameter: ' "c:\Users\david\documents\mswebdev\lsc_ajax\" '. I don't kn...

VS 2008 Web Express and AJAX 3.5
In Joe Stagner's video on the AJAX in net3.5 (http://www.asp.net/learn/3.5-videos/video-224.aspx) at 7:50 he notes that that Visual Studio 2008 is now extender aware.  I have followed his example exactly and hooked the 3.5 Toolkit into my toolbox but my controls are 'not aware'.  It this feature unavailable in the VS2008 Web Express? Look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1184181.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Published 'My First Website' from Introduction to Visual Web Developer 2008 Express ...Runtime error
I followed the introduction video and successfully compiled the 'My First Website' with the pictures and basic text control. After the build it ran fine locally. I changed the debugging options as suggested in the video and recompiled. I then copied the website using a shared drive (file system copy) to a Windows 2003 server running IIS with ASP.net 3.5. The result was Server error in '/' Application Runtime error. After searching this error I found many possible fixes, reg edits etc. I then published the website to a windows 2000 server, it worked except for the text...

Web resources about - No "Publish Website" in Web Developer 2008 Express - asp.net.web-dev-2008-express